Getting a Job Offer While Waiting on Others....Unappreciation

Ok, I got a slight dilemma. I applied for a job with a smallish company that's been in business for 30+ years. Today they made me a formal offer. Benefits
package is good, pay is industry standard. But the manager seems like a $%@% and the work, while it would be laid back, isn't very exciting.

On the flipside, last week I had a 2nd interview with MTV. This is the job I really want and I've been told by the hiring manager that I rank pretty high
on their list of applicants. Problem is, their process seems to be long and drawn out (probably because of all the applicants). At this point nothing is
guaranteed and if I wait on them, I could lose the offer from the 1st job. They have a nice downtown location which is ideal for me. I expect pay to be about
the same as the other job, but more fun and a more compatible work environment. I should be hearing from them in the next few days but the 1st job wants an
answer by tomorrow.

What should I do?

Yeah my heart wants to wait on MTV but if they turn me down, I'm back to square one with no job offers at all.

work at the other job until you hear about MTV and your guaranteed a job with them then just never show up to the other job

tell the other job u need a extra day to talk to your family about it if thats possible

Take the Job for now, and once MTV calls you bounce. That would be dirty but hey it's nothing personal, only business.
Now if MTV fires you and you need a job and the one you left is the only one available that would suck.

Where is the other job that offered you located? I assume MTV is in NY. If you live in NY/NJ and that other job is there too then it shouldnt be a problem ifyou leave that job. Also most jobs give you 2 weeks anyway because its standard you give your current employer a 2 weeks notice

Originally Posted by early90s

Take the Job for now, and once MTV calls you bounce. That would be dirty but hey it's nothing personal, only business.
Now if MTV fires you and you need a job and the one you left is the only one available that would suck.

yep

doyou

Originally Posted by early90s

obviously.

but if you had to pick between the two, go MTV.

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

Where is the other job that offered you located? I assume MTV is in NY. If you live in NY/NJ and that other job is there too then it shouldnt be a problem if you leave that job. Also most jobs give you 2 weeks anyway because its standard you give your current employer a 2 weeks notice

Both jobs are in SF.

I guess I'll take the other job for now. Like you guys said, look out for me first. Employers are always looking out for themselves. A friend of mineaccepted a position with a rather large investment company yesterday only to be told today that they relocated the position to NY.

You gotta be selfish on this one, no one else is gonna feed you. Take the first one wait and see what MTV says then make a "legit" excuse if you haveto leave.

^see if you can delay it

"Oh can I let you know in two weeks? I need more time"
Usually employeers should be okay and will likely give you a week at least. See if you hear from MTV in that time, if not, then yea take the job for now, andthen bounce later when MTV calls.

is this a career we are talking about? like a job you are using your completed bachelors degree for? like a salaried job? if so I'm not sure if it'sa good look to go to the initial spot then bounce at all.

I've been told that it's always good to use job offers as leverage. try to get cool with some sort of contact at MTV on a personal basis and figureout the best way to use the first job offer as leverage. Let them know the deadline for the initial joint is coming soon, and you want some sort of jobsecurity. I'm speaking very loosely, but you need to do research on what the best way to go about it is and what all you need to say.

and it never hurts to ask for an extension from the initial employer. for the most part you are now viewed as an asset to their company, so you should havesome sort of leeway on the initial offer.

if this is just like a part time job or something then disregard everything I said
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

Where is the other job that offered you located? I assume MTV is in NY. If you live in NY/NJ and that other job is there too then it shouldnt be a problem if you leave that job. Also most jobs give you 2 weeks anyway because its standard you give your current employer a 2 weeks notice

Both jobs are in SF.

I guess I'll take the other job for now. Like you guys said, look out for me first. Employers are always looking out for themselves. A friend of mine accepted a position with a rather large investment company yesterday only to be told today that they relocated the position to NY.

except you don't want to start burning bridges. getting an employer on the hook and then leaving them right away gets dirt all over you. also there'sno guarantee that you will 1) get the MTV job 2) LIKE the MTV job 3) last at the MTV job.

but in the end you're in the best position to see where each of the jobs will lead you, if the first job is a meaningful job that will lead to betterthings and the MTV job is holding a VJ's jock strap...you know where I'm going with this.

^ Yeah these are career oriented jobs.

The 1st job wants an answer tomorrow. I asked for a few days to think it over and they seemed pretty upset about it. So my plan is to hit up MTV tomorrowmorning and see where we're at in the process. But unless they guarantee me the job, I will accept the other one later in the afternoon.

I just turned down a job interview/job offer (because I was essentially selected, the phone "interviews" are mere formalities in civil service)because I already had a job, but now I kind of wish I could have that back and would have talked things over with them. It's about 4-6k more per yr, lessbenefits, but exactly what I went to school for and want to do with my life (Fitness/Sports Program Management) but may require me to move.

I still have the # on my caller ID, I might call them back and see if they will still offer it to me.

^ Yeah these are career oriented jobs.

The 1st job wants an answer tomorrow. I asked for a few days to think it over and they seemed pretty upset about it. So my plan is to hit up MTV tomorrow morning and see where we're at in the process. But unless they guarantee me the job, I will accept the other one later in the afternoon.
i think this is the smart thing to do but just hope u asking for more days doesnt hurt your chances... also u gotta think bout $$$ ... ya u wantthe MTV but i say go with the 1st one for now cuz u know the pay and the terms already and say MTV hits u up for the job but there offer is pretty low then itprobably aint worth it

If you had a 2nd interview with MTV already, it looks like they're going to make a decision soon.

It's more than okay to tell the first company that you're still waiting on other opportunities, and that you can't give a straight answer just yet.

Go with the first company for sure ; if MTV calls with a real offer jump ship

dont wait on the 2nd job, its not guaranteed, i asked a potential job for a few days and by the time i called back like 2 days later, they offered the job tosomeone else

flip a coin, best 2 out of 3.

you're in a tough spot though. while mtv may have you on the short list, there is no guarantee they'll offer you a job.

if anything, you can reapply after a year.

take the guranteed one, unless you the funds saved up to risk not getting the mtv jizzob.

Ok, I got a slight dilemma. I applied for a job with a smallish company that's been in business for 30+ years. Today they made me a formal offer. Benefits
package is good, pay is industry standard. But the manager seems like a $%@% and the work, while it would be laid back, isn't very exciting.

On the flipside, last week I had a 2nd interview with MTV. This is the job I really want and I've been told by the hiring manager that I rank pretty high
on their list of applicants. Problem is, their process seems to be long and drawn out (probably because of all the applicants). At this point nothing is
guaranteed and if I wait on them, I could lose the offer from the 1st job. They have a nice downtown location which is ideal for me. I expect pay to be about
the same as the other job, but more fun and a more compatible work environment. I should be hearing from them in the next few days but the 1st job wants an
answer by tomorrow.

What should I do?
your life, your decisions, your problems
tired.gif
, money is moneythe ending is the same...i'd rather smoke it.
smokin.gif

Can't ask the first company for a time line in which they need an answer by so you can wait it out?

I had a couple offers coming out of school and asked one of them when they needed a response by because I was expecting another offer and had one already.

Parlay the first one into the second and vice versa. Don't settle, just because.

2 weeks ago I accepted the position w/ the other company. Everything was cool, I was just starting to get comfortable when suddenly last week MTV contacts mefor a 3rd interview.

That interview was today and it went really well. At this point I know they are close to making a decision, possibly by week's end. However, I got moredetails about the job and spent the entire day thinking about it, weighing the pros and cons:

Pros:
  • salary is almost 25% higher
  • staff is mostly young folks
  • very laid back environment
  • downtown location (I live downtown)
  • lots of opportunities and room for growth
Cons:
  • contract position (6 months w/ possibility for permanent hire based on performance)
  • no benefits until permanent
  • staff is mostly young folks (yes, this can be a con too)
  • bought out by Viacom 2yrs ago, all companies under the umbrella still in transition phase
  • no sense of job security (corporate, contract hire, etc)
  • department is small - only 4-5 ppl....more likely to get the boot if the "man" decides to layoff
My job now is at a small company that's been around for 30+ years. Everyone has been there for a long time so my job feels secure. It's a permanentposition w/ benefits. Environment is very chill. Most of my co-workers are old but the folks in my dept (sales/marketing + graphic design) are young. Plus,every Friday we get to drink in the office!

So I'm here seeking NT for guidance. I'm glad to be in this position but its also a very confusing time for me. If I'm offered the MTV job, what doyou think I should do?

Back
Top Bottom