Getting no grants from Financial Aid Unnapreciation... :(

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

Originally Posted by ThiPham

I know how this feels. As soon as we graduated high school my parents hit me and my sisters with the "Y'all grown, we ain't payin for $+$* else". And they make plenty of money so a brotha can't even get a Pell grant or anything. All these unsubsidized loans and $+$* don't make no gotdamn sense.
smh.gif

thats harsh, i mean hit them with the i aint going to college then ahah see what they will do next. Im pretty sure they didnt force you to finish high school and find out you aint going to college
I would've but we were forced to go to college anyways. And they're trying to get me to stay at home rather than near the campus this year. #$!% that. If I'm payin for it I'm not stayin my grown %!@ at home.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
at your parents that is harsh real talk though

Originally Posted by ThiPham

I know how this feels. As soon as we graduated high school my parents hit me and my sisters with the "Y'all grown, we ain't payin for $+$* else". And they make plenty of money so a brotha can't even get a Pell grant or anything. All these unsubsidized loans and $+$* don't make no gotdamn sense.
smh.gif

thats harsh, i mean hit them with the i aint going to college then ahah see what they will do next. Im pretty sure they didnt force you to finish high school and find out you aint going to college
I would've but we were forced to go to college anyways. And they're trying to get me to stay at home rather than near the campus this year. #$!% that. If I'm payin for it I'm not stayin my grown %!@ at home.
thats real talk. Its hella better living without your parents because you learn how to be more responsible. Im taking a EOP summer bridge programthat i am qualified for. with this program i get paid more with financial aid and also it gets me ready for college. I moved out to SF and found out that i hadto make my own food. I had to budget my money by paying rent, bus fare, food, clothes and all that junk. Living away from your parents is just a step for youto grow up and be more independent. But in your situation, i understand that it would be better financially by living at home financialy. Its all up to youthough. Best thing to do is get a job at school, they work around your school hours and you dont get taxed.

I'm going to get:
$ 11,232.00 for the fall semester
$ 10,040.00 for the spring semester

I'm glad I don't have to pay of that back. And I'm sorry for those whose parents make "too" much money.
It's not a great system but what can you do.

This also reminded me I need to accept my Financil Aid Package. Also, could anybody answer my question. If I had said I was unwilling to do Work Study would Ihave gotten more grants and loans or just more loans?

Originally Posted by Dakingii

man my school needs to hurry up and confirm my financial aid information, im getting concerned
laugh.gif
smh.gif
I feel you fam. I was calling my school daily until Igot the confirmation.

I dunno how I could survive w/o grants. 50 G's in grants and scholarships a year... only way i could go to school. I also do 400 hours of campus serviceand 200 hours of community service to qualify for another $4000 that I get for miscellaneous expenses. Hopefully I can get some grants for Law/Business school
laugh.gif

Ima share my opinion about this situation without quoting anyone.

The truly wealthy do not need aid cause well they got loot to spend and "its nothin" word to Cam

The Lower class, not sure what to call them DESERVE the aid cause well they cant afford the prices.

The Middle class (my fam) is S!!! out of luck. My mom is Retired military, single parent raising 3 boys. So yea, my mom is able to provide a meal everyday,keep the lights, clothed etc without fear of that being taken away. But does that leave for extra money to send 3 kids to college? HELL NO! Would my mom evenhave money to send one of us to one of these colleges yall are blessed to be goin to, prolly not.

I will never knock anyone getttin what is "granted" to them, but i can not feel some sort of envy when Jan 1st comes around and theres a thread onhere about what folks are gonna buy with their refund check.

and about filiing independent. you have no clue about the rules. only way(s) to file independent is to have married, your parents (both) be deceased, beemancipated and thats it. I can tell the folks who either are goin free or flat out just dont know what their talkin about.

Folks have been on their own since 16 yet cant get aid cause legally they are still tied to their parents.

Im done with college, with no loans and im very greatful. but the system is flawed, just like the welfare and other aide systems and there's no adequatefeasible solution.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Ima share my opinion about this situation without quoting anyone.

The truly wealthy do not need aid cause well they got loot to spend and "its nothin" word to Cam

The Lower class, not sure what to call them DESERVE the aid cause well they cant afford the prices.

The Middle class (my fam) is S!!! out of luck. My mom is Retired military, single parent raising 3 boys. So yea, my mom is able to provide a meal everyday, keep the lights, clothed etc without fear of that being taken away. But does that leave for extra money to send 3 kids to college? HELL NO! Would my mom even have money to send one of us to one of these colleges yall are blessed to be goin to, prolly not.

I will never knock anyone getttin what is "granted" to them, but i can not feel some sort of envy when Jan 1st comes around and theres a thread on here about what folks are gonna buy with their refund check.

and about filiing independent. you have no clue about the rules. only way(s) to file independent is to have married, your parents (both) be deceased, be emancipated and thats it. I can tell the folks who either are goin free or flat out just dont know what their talkin about.

Folks have been on their own since 16 yet cant get aid cause legally they are still tied to their parents.

Im done with college, with no loans and im very greatful. but the system is flawed, just like the welfare and other aide systems and there's no adequate feasible solution.
Gotta disagree w/ u there chief. I know ppl that been on there own and was able to file independent. Sure they had help from local services thatproved that the fam aint do %*#% for em but they were able to do it.

Most universities %*#% on ppl when it comes to filin independent and some don't. Most of the time it's not the fed govt, it's school policies i.e.not bein able to get instate tution after a yr of residency. At the age of 18, if u have documentation that u are indeed on ya own, u can file independent, andif they decline u can go to a judge and get that appealed. It's a hard process but can be done, ppl just gotta wanna put in the time as sad as it is.

I feel u on the refund check. I know ppl that get a full ride on top of outside grants and scholoarships so they gettin like $5,000 in refunds where I may geta refund but it's only enough to put to rent and maybe a few extra bills. That's why I'm pissed that Gov Rendell (PA) is tryna cut Pitt fromFederal Stimulus, if they do then me, my girl, and my daugther gon be hurtin for extra money and my credit in the crapper so a *$*@+ gon be stuck
laugh.gif

Gotta disagree w/ u there chief. I know ppl that been on there own and was able to file independent. Sure they had help from local services that proved that the fam aint do %*#% for em but they were able to do it.

Most universities %*#% on ppl when it comes to filin independent and some don't. Most of the time it's not the fed govt, it's school policies i.e. not bein able to get instate tution after a yr of residency. At the age of 18, if u have documentation that u are indeed on ya own, u can file independent, and if they decline u can go to a judge and get that appealed. It's a hard process but can be done, ppl just gotta wanna put in the time as sad as it is.

The people you know is less than 3 huh? My whole point is its not easy to get it (filing independent) and the middle class are gettin shafted.

but about your full ride folks...man i wish i was an athlete and gettin grants. Those folks Diddy Boppin for real
pimp.gif
. Smashin all the bad O's and got money for shoes and clothes...BALLIN
laugh.gif

Btw, work study FTW. It was basically a free check for me every 2 weeks that I could count on.

I hooked up with the coolest damn department on campus and my boss was just like come in when you can. Pffftt! WORD?! At first I felt bad calling her andsaying "Uhh, yeah--can't come in today." But after awhile that *%%% became habit. The boss was just like "it ain't our money!" Mymajor duties consisted of running some papers to the main administration building once or twice a week. I used to feel bad for the bruhs who were sweatin'it out in the cafeteria for some work study loot. When I did go to work, I'd just browse the internets for hours at a time--mainly NT.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
@ ppl who are richer than me and dont have to pay for college cuz theyfound a way around the system.

my roommate owns 3 restaurants and a house probably other assets too and they pay him to go to school with the grants.

i think im getting a pell grant but its not confirmed i gotta meet with financial aid officer this friday

So im back in school and am at the age to be an independent. This semester im attending is the first ive ever gong to school w/ Financial Aid...but what I wantto know now is how do I get some grants? I didnt even know to look for some.

this one dude goes to community college and he told me his getting 10k from financial aid -_______________-

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

this one dude goes to community college and he told me his getting 10k from financial aid -_______________-

Thats impossible. Don't be mad at the system lear how to take advantage of it. Its the american way!

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

^Thats impossible. Don't be mad at the system learn how to take advantage of it. Its the american way!

^Thats impossible. Don't be mad at the system learn how to take advantage of it. Its the american way!
Why'd you quote yourself?

You have a point, though.

Make the system work for you.

system is super easy to beat if you don't really have morals. half the time they dont even thoroughly check your stuff. especially if you're at a bigschool like i went to (50K + undergrads). and if you have any way to keep money off the books, you just dont report it. thats why you have mad dudes who behaving cake and getting grants out the *%!+.

but to dude above talking about the filing independent thing, im really confused on what you're getting at. I've filed independent. It's veryeasy and it helped my situation out major. My parents do not pay for anything for me. Everything I pay for is on my own. That's the whole purpose ofdependency which means you are dependent on your parents income. Why would it be hard to show/say that you aren't dependent on your parents income...ifyou are in fact not dependent on your parent's income?

and hell even if you are i know people who filed independent just to get more bread and their parents helped them out anyway. maybe its b/c i went to a hugecollege that a lot falls through the cracks but the situation was super easy. i just wish i had done it earlier b/c my parents were winning on taxes withoutreally even helping me pay for school

Soon the poor and the rich will be the only ones that will be able to go to school. The middle class will be phased out. You have to make the system work foryou. It has many exploits. Do what is necessary to get what you need.

Back
Top Bottom