Getting no grants from Financial Aid Unnapreciation... :(

I agree with jthatgreat

Middle Class-Upper Middle Class egt screwed on financial aid. My friend's dad is a doctor and they have money now, but right now he's going into schooland his sister just started last year. He also has a younger sister starting in 2 years, but I think they planned pretty well.

Now my family on the other hand didn't plan well at all. No college fund for me. My parents just blew 70K-100K on a 2 year-long divorce and are basicallybroke. I was lucky that I was able to work around the system because we are going through difficult times. With that said I am still very grateful for thefinancial aid I've got. I'm gonna have a lot of loans, but I should have a good enough job to be able to pay them off quickly

i regret not applying for easy scholarships im just too lazy to write them damn essays
smh.gif
but next financial aid season im on the grind , i dont pay tuition,only fees, cal state ftw. i pocketed 2700 each semseter last year after tuition alone. i did get a extra 500 from church which made it sweeter. but i blew mostof it ,(major L) . 19 with no car for the L.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by ArtStranger

yup same here its messed up
i work and try to save but cant and have to do school a few classes at a time
But all the people who are on effin welfare and food stamps can collect no problem
those kind of people disgust me! Why even give trash like that money to go to school
they end up using it for who knows what
indifferent.gif
The !@!+!!!

The hell is ya problem brah? So b/c those that are less fortunate can get grants w/o a problem and u can't they considered trash? Are u considerin me trash too?!?! I come from a single parent household where my mother doesn't have a career. I work and still don't have enough to cover neccessary exspenses. So is that comment directed toward me b/c I get financial aid w/ ease?
smh.gif
dude not comin back, already got quoted three times
laugh.gif
He wasn't scared to hit that report button.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by ArtStranger

yup same here its messed up
i work and try to save but cant and have to do school a few classes at a time
But all the people who are on effin welfare and food stamps can collect no problem
those kind of people disgust me! Why even give trash like that money to go to school
they end up using it for who knows what
indifferent.gif
The !@!+!!!

The hell is ya problem brah? So b/c those that are less fortunate can get grants w/o a problem and u can't they considered trash? Are u considerin me trash too?!?! I come from a single parent household where my mother doesn't have a career. I work and still don't have enough to cover neccessary exspenses. So is that comment directed toward me b/c I get financial aid w/ ease?
smh.gif
dude not comin back, already got quoted three times
laugh.gif
He wasn't scared to hit that report button.
what?

Knew plenty of people that were taking advantage of their financial aid situation. Never understood how they got away with it and why it was allowed. Theredefinitely needs to be more auditng of where this money goes so that extra funds can go to other people in need. Simply put, I think its extremely low ofsomeone to take advantage of financial aid when there are so many people out there struggling to pay for school.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Knew plenty of people that were taking advantage of their financial aid situation. Never understood how they got away with it and why it was allowed. There definitely needs to be more auditng of where this money goes so that extra funds can go to other people in need. Simply put, I think its extremely low of someone to take advantage of financial aid when there are so many people out there struggling to pay for school.
I agree but disagree its hard and cold in reality but you gotta make a way to eat regardless
nerd.gif

how the F u guys get grants

when im filling out the form, i put 0s all over it. dont they check your family income. because unless your family is broke a** welfare, and youre living frompaycheck to paycheck, you arent getting any grants.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Gotta disagree w/ u there chief. I know ppl that been on there own and was able to file independent. Sure they had help from local services that proved that the fam aint do %*#% for em but they were able to do it.

Most universities %*#% on ppl when it comes to filin independent and some don't. Most of the time it's not the fed govt, it's school policies i.e. not bein able to get instate tution after a yr of residency. At the age of 18, if u have documentation that u are indeed on ya own, u can file independent, and if they decline u can go to a judge and get that appealed. It's a hard process but can be done, ppl just gotta wanna put in the time as sad as it is.
The people you know is less than 3 huh? My whole point is its not easy to get it (filing independent) and the middle class are gettin shafted.

but about your full ride folks...man i wish i was an athlete and gettin grants. Those folks Diddy Boppin for real
pimp.gif
. Smashin all the bad O's and got money for shoes and clothes...BALLIN
laugh.gif

Oh ok, point taken. It is a bit complicated to file independent, especially if u weren't the yr before. Only way is if u have children andover 18.

But as far as the athletes, I hate them %*#$$%
mad.gif
. School rapin us intuition to pay for them predom ignoranant dudes who get trainers to do their work even though they pick the easiest majors
smh.gif
But them %*#$$% is ballin
laugh.gif
But they only walk around like that on campus, come to the hood and it's GOT EM!!!

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Gotta disagree w/ u there chief. I know ppl that been on there own and was able to file independent. Sure they had help from local services that proved that the fam aint do %*#% for em but they were able to do it.

Most universities %*#% on ppl when it comes to filin independent and some don't. Most of the time it's not the fed govt, it's school policies i.e. not bein able to get instate tution after a yr of residency. At the age of 18, if u have documentation that u are indeed on ya own, u can file independent, and if they decline u can go to a judge and get that appealed. It's a hard process but can be done, ppl just gotta wanna put in the time as sad as it is.
The people you know is less than 3 huh? My whole point is its not easy to get it (filing independent) and the middle class are gettin shafted.

but about your full ride folks...man i wish i was an athlete and gettin grants. Those folks Diddy Boppin for real
pimp.gif
. Smashin all the bad O's and got money for shoes and clothes...BALLIN
laugh.gif

Who u tellin? I hate that +$@% yo. Dudes here at Pitt get around $1000+ per month and even more if they live off campus. Dudes be at the bar atclubs buyin bottles like they doin when they aint even workin for the money. Can't knock the hustle....well, yea I can cause that nonsense affects me.Athletes need a facility, raise tuition. Football players up here be thinkin they doin it but can't even when a bowl game
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Is there another way to get money besides FAFSA? Like grants and stuff

If so...where?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Is there another way to get money besides FAFSA? Like grants and stuff

If so...where?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Thanks in advance!!
Yup, gotta check local organizations and what not. The further u get from hs, the harder it is to find some. But, talk to the ppl at the financialaid office at the university u attend and tell em that u strugglin and u really need some extra assistance in the form of grants and what not.

U have not, b/c u ask not

My costs for my four years of undergrad were almost entirely covered by the state and federal governments and UVa through grants and scholarships exclusively.I think UVa made up about $4000 a year that wasn't covered by the government. So I suppose I could have been in debt around $16k, but thankfully it'sjust $2200 for some summer classes I took (which I had around 2/3 of the cost covered anyways).

If your friends are blowing grant and scholarship money on non-essential items, they are either lying on the forms or are skimming to the fullest on everythingelse. Eating Ramen for lunch and dinner everyday type stuff. I always cut my costs as much as I could: smallest meal plan, generic brand food, used books, nobooks I didn't absolutely need, cheap housing, etc.

The government covers what they should. Your parents just make too much money or have too much saved if they don't.

first 3 years i was getting loanof $10,000 to cover what the school wasnt. This year i need to get $26,000. 9,000 need base was taken away, and nothing haschanged money wise in my house.

Glad I did the military. My brother is up to his neck in loans. While I am out here getting paid to go to school.

Anyone know a way to apply for this aid without your parents info?

My mom never really fills out taxes and I have no idea how to apply without this, I am low income for sure but I have no t been applying for the FAFSA.

I am def missing out tho

Seriously, that's money they get that they don't have to pay back. I don't see any of them actually "struggling" financially, either.Parents that make over the cut-off line ftl.

my contribution:

it has been my impression that the closer that you are to graduating... and the better a student you are... the more likely you are to get a grant.

whatever financial assistance you have received through your first few years... it would essentially be wasted if you dropped out/didn't finish your degreetimely. schools, states, and the fed govmnt don't want that. they want to get as many educated people as possible into the workforce as soon as possible.they want you to stop being a drain on the government, on your parents, and on your schools, and start supporting yourself (so they can tax you) ASAP.

thus... money spent on 4th year students who are closer to getting a degree is more likely to be 'paid back' sooner.

freshmen getting 15k? maybe in some situations, but boy that school would feel dumb giving all that money to someone who drops out a year later.

think of it as return on investment.

Got grants for the first year ever coming up...using that cash flow to go to Florida and Texas after summer quarterends.

Anyone know of any loans that don't need a co signer? My parents are trippin and I don't feel like dealing with their !%!$ so I need to do it on myown.

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

Anyone know of any loans that don't need a co signer? My parents are trippin and I don't feel like dealing with their !%!$ so I need to do it on my own.
try campusdoor.com but I doubt it. Most of the small loan companies went under when the recession hit.

I just found out that there's a new bill that just passed or somethin that helps out w/ fed loans. They now go by ur income and not how much u owe soit'll be easier to pay back.

If u pay off your loans consistently over 25yrs, the rest of ya debt would be wiped clean. If u work for a non-profit or the govt however, in 10yrs its wipedclean

There is also loan forgiveness programs that ppl like myself w/ a lot of loans can look into. they have em for Medial, Law, teachin, and peace corps

Site says they're not taking anymore loan application due to the deterioration of the credit environment.
Man this is #*!**@#%. My parents better co sign this damn loan or I'm settin it off in this !#!$%.
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom