Girl raped during Homecoming Dance

[h1]Police: Gang rape outside school dance lasted over two hours[/h1]
By Nick Valencia, CNN

October 27, 2009 1:24 a.m. EDT

story.gang.rape.ambulance.jpg

An ambulance delivers a California high school student to the hospital last week. Police say she was gang raped.

[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/1px.gif[/img]
[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/1px.gif[/img][img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/1px.gif[/img]

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Richmond, California, police say student was gang raped for over two hours
  • Investigators: As many as 15 males stood watching; one person in custody
  • A 15-year-old student remains in the hospital in stable condition
  • Police lieutenant: "This just gets worse and worse the more you dig into it"

RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- A California high school student who police said was gang raped in a two-and-a-half-hour assault outside a homecoming dance remained hospitalized in stable condition Monday, three days after she was flown from the attack scene in critical condition.

"Based on witness statements and suspect statements and also physical evidence, we know that she was raped by at least four suspects committing multiple sex acts," said Lt. Mark Gagan of the police department in Richmond, California.

Investigators said as many as 15 people, all males, stood around watching the assault but did not call police or help the victim, a 15-year-old student at Richmond High School in suburban San Francisco.

"As people announced over time that this was going on, more people came to see and some actually participated," Gagan said.

"There is one individual in custody who has made some spontaneous statements that have led me to believe that he is culpable for what happened," Richmond police Lt. Johan Simon said. That 19-year-old suspect -- described as a former student at the school -- was arrested soon after he fled the scene and will face charges of rape, robbery and kidnapping, police said.

Authorities have interviewed the victim, and the search for other attackers and bystanders who watched and did not report the rape is a "full court press," according to Gagan.

"We have checked Facebook and YouTube to try to find any revealing evidence," Gagan said. "We're looking in particular to see if anyone posted any video of the incident."

Five other individuals were detained at the scene but not arrested, Simon said.

The attack occurred on school grounds as the annual homecoming dance was under way inside the school Friday night, authorities said.

The victim was found unconscious and "brutally assaulted" under a bench shortly before midnight Friday after police received a call from someone in the area who overheard people at the assault scene "reminiscing about the incident," Gagan said.

It was like a horror movie after looking at the evidence.
--Lt. Mark Gagan

"She ended up with those guys under her own will because she knew one of the boys who had gone to the high school before," Gagan said. "Right now, we're looking at toxicology reports to determine her blood-alcohol content and to determine if she was drugged."

According to authorities, the victim was flown to an area hospital in critical condition. She was in stable condition Monday, police said.

In an interview with CNN affiliate KTVU, Charles Ramsey, a school district board trustee, said there previously were plans approved for Richmond High School to install a new surveillance system next January.

The surveillance system "is tied to local law enforcement," Ramsey said. "It would have had a more visual view on what was going on and people would have been alerted and knowing that this was here."

Said Gagan: "This just gets worse and worse the more you dig into it. It was like a horror movie after looking at the evidence. I can't believe not one person felt compelled to help her."

SMH A lot of people should be held accountable

My hometown...Richmond High.

Seen this on the news, it's getting ridiculous here.
tired.gif
This is a newlow.

Originally Posted by kicks4days

[h1]Police: Gang rape outside school dance lasted over two hours[/h1]
By Nick Valencia, CNN

October 27, 2009 1:24 a.m. EDT

story.gang.rape.ambulance.jpg

An ambulance delivers a California high school student to the hospital last week. Police say she was gang raped.

[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/1px.gif[/img][img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/3.0/1px.gif[/img]

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Richmond, California, police say student was gang raped for over two hours
  • Investigators: As many as 15 males stood watching; one person in custody
  • A 15-year-old student remains in the hospital in stable condition
  • Police lieutenant: "This just gets worse and worse the more you dig into it"

RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- A California high school student who police said was gang raped in a two-and-a-half-hour assault outside a homecoming dance remained hospitalized in stable condition Monday, three days after she was flown from the attack scene in critical condition.

"Based on witness statements and suspect statements and also physical evidence, we know that she was raped by at least four suspects committing multiple sex acts," said Lt. Mark Gagan of the police department in Richmond, California.

Investigators said as many as 15 people, all males, stood around watching the assault but did not call police or help the victim, a 15-year-old student at Richmond High School in suburban San Francisco.

"As people announced over time that this was going on, more people came to see and some actually participated," Gagan said.

"There is one individual in custody who has made some spontaneous statements that have led me to believe that he is culpable for what happened," Richmond police Lt. Johan Simon said. That 19-year-old suspect -- described as a former student at the school -- was arrested soon after he fled the scene and will face charges of rape, robbery and kidnapping, police said.

Authorities have interviewed the victim, and the search for other attackers and bystanders who watched and did not report the rape is a "full court press," according to Gagan.

"We have checked Facebook and YouTube to try to find any revealing evidence," Gagan said. "We're looking in particular to see if anyone posted any video of the incident."

Five other individuals were detained at the scene but not arrested, Simon said.

The attack occurred on school grounds as the annual homecoming dance was under way inside the school Friday night, authorities said.

The victim was found unconscious and "brutally assaulted" under a bench shortly before midnight Friday after police received a call from someone in the area who overheard people at the assault scene "reminiscing about the incident," Gagan said.

It was like a horror movie after looking at the evidence.
--Lt. Mark Gagan

"She ended up with those guys under her own will because she knew one of the boys who had gone to the high school before," Gagan said. "Right now, we're looking at toxicology reports to determine her blood-alcohol content and to determine if she was drugged."

According to authorities, the victim was flown to an area hospital in critical condition. She was in stable condition Monday, police said.

In an interview with CNN affiliate KTVU, Charles Ramsey, a school district board trustee, said there previously were plans approved for Richmond High School to install a new surveillance system next January.

The surveillance system "is tied to local law enforcement," Ramsey said. "It would have had a more visual view on what was going on and people would have been alerted and knowing that this was here."

Said Gagan: "This just gets worse and worse the more you dig into it. It was like a horror movie after looking at the evidence. I can't believe not one person felt compelled to help her."

*@$!*!% horrible. That girl will never recover from this. This just sickens me after reading that people got involved. None of those guys wouldmake it to trial had that been my daughter or someone I cared about. All I can think about is that Jodie Foster movie. Truly sickening. I'm truly at a lossfor words.

I cant comprehend that, THAT many people stood spectacle to this and for that long..I really do wish there is more to this and that they're wrong.
tired.gif
Disgusting.

Foul. I thought it was just gonna be a bunch of dudes runnin train on shorty, as bad as that would have been, the fact that she was actually assaulted andbeaten unconscious is even more sickening.
tired.gif

don't sound like a rape to me.

seems like they're still trying to find out all the details, but they're already calling it a rape?

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Is this the same Richmond High School as in Coach Carter Richmond High School?
Nah, that was in VA.

anyone that was watching should catch a charge too.
Hopefully this is the case.

Nahh it is the same one

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Richmond High School (Richmond, California)[/h1]
[h3]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/h3]
Jump to: navigation, search
[table][tr][td]

[/td] [td]Please help improve this article by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page. (January 2008)[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Richmond High School[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Location[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Richmond, California, USA
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Information[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""]Type[/th] [td]Public[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]School district[/th] [td]West Contra Costa Unified School District[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Head of school[/th] [td] Julio Franco
Vice Principal = Jose Deleon and Nancy Ivey

Sports Dean = Coach D
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Staff[/th] [td]Safety Office-priscilla clew; Parent Room-Lola Garcia[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Faculty[/th] [td]T. Boardman, Journalism Advisor[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Grades[/th] [td]9-12[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Color(s)[/th] [td]Red and Blue[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Athletics[/th] [td]Football, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball, Badminton, Basketball[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Athletics conference[/th] [td]CIF North Coast Section - ACCAL[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Mascot[/th] [td]Oilers[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Website[/th] [td]wccusd.k12.ca.us/richmond_high_school[/td] [/tr][/table]
Richmond High School (RHS) is a public high school located in Richmond, California, USA. It is part of the West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) and according to Richmond Police Department statistics, it is the second safest school in the WCCUSD, behind Kennedy High School.[sup][citation needed][/sup]

On-line student newswpaper - click here rhsnewswire.net:[1]
[table][tr][td]
[h2]Contents[/h2][hide]
[/td] [/tr][/table][h2][edit] Alumni and Post-High School Education[/h2]
Graduates from Richmond High School have attended a number of prestigious higher education institutions. The school has a low direct to college rate, with many students choosing to attend a community college and transfer to a four-year university. Many students are unable to transfer, however, due to economic difficulties.
[h2][edit] Sports[/h2]
Since the schools opening, most conference championships have come from the Oiler's soccer, and basketball teams(little have been won by football or baseball). That is until Coach John Antonio Took the Position of Head Football Coach, Starting from a Fresh Roster of juniors and Sophomores, Oilers decided to hire officer Jeff Tyner. This will be a huge lift to the football program. Tyner brings a new swagger, confidence, and a much improved program with him. A new highly qualified coaching staff, which include NFL Tight End Courtney Anderson, will accompany Coach Tyner in his first year of coaching. The Oilers also have many talented players that include: Senior Shannen Edwards WR/S, Senior Kameron Spencer DE, Senior Marvin Click LB/FB, Senior Deseandre Mapp QB, Senior Lonnell Whittington RB/CB, Junior Danny McLane CB/RB, Junior Lawrence Bridgett LB/FB, just to name a few. Also, Richmond has a lot of young and upcoming talent that will be seeing time at the varsity level. Richmond will kick off their football season on their home field September 5, 2009 against Moreau Catholic.
[h2][edit] Ken Carter[/h2]
Richmond came into the media in 1999 due to the actions taken by basketball coach Ken Carter. Carter, a former Richmond student himself, cancelled all scheduled games and practices of the undefeated team in an unprecedented move due to fifteen of his players having unacceptably poor academic performance. Heavily criticised initially by students, parents, teachers and the media, he was then praised due to his emphasis on further education.
This media story was also the focal point of the 2005 film Coach Carter starring Samuel L. Jackson which gives a storylined account of Carter's time managing the team with the main focal point being on the "lock-out."
[h2][edit] Crime[/h2]
Richmond attracted news press again in 2009 when a girl at a Richmond High dance was gang-raped while onlookers did nothing and were said to have been laughing. Students from Richmond High have been taken out for questioning. [sup][1][/sup]
[h2][edit] Notes[/h2]

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

don't sound like a rape to me.

seems like they're still trying to find out all the details, but they're already calling it a rape?
I don't wanna jump the ship...but that's what I'm saying....
15 dudes just standing watching a rape?
eyes.gif

With willing participants just walking in and joining?

Is this the same Richmond High School as in Coach Carter Richmond High School?
Nah, that was in VA.

anyone that was watching should catch a charge too.
Hopefully this is the case.

Nahh it is the same one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_High_School_(Richmond,_California)
You right my bad. Makes sense that dude went to a college in San Fran.

Regardless of where it was sounds like a !+!!%% high school. Now the school is planning to install a surveillance system. Right. Way to cover your tracks.

And the article doesn't say it was Richmond High, there are a couple public high schools in Richmond.

Regardless of where it was sounds like a !+!!%% high school. Now the school is planning to install a surveillance system. Right. Way to cover your tracks.
Plans to install surveillance cameras have been in place. Richmond is a zoo and it's public schooling system is probably the worst in thestate, makes Oakland's look like a bunch of college prep institutions.

Back
Top Bottom