GO TO SEASON THREAD.

yep for sure.

is it time to renew?
Yup. Ready to submit my keepers.

Three of them are Warriors.
laugh.gif
yeah yeah yeah just rub it in. 

you're gonna enjoy bogut, and barnes has a real high ceiling... and bosef kinda flopped for me down the stretcth

It's been a while since I've posted here. How's everyone been doing?
What's up, acid. I've been good. What you missed? Well, I posted a pic of Jeremy Lin in your Sports and Training birthday thread, but I guess you missed it. :lol:

hahah yeah I didn't see that....thanks :lol: :pimp:

Hmm, maybe meeting What Up wouldn't involve punches being thrown as I previously thought :lol:

I've been good as well. I'm going for grad school this year, looking to get started in an MBA program next year.

Last edited:
Sporting News Q&A with Warriors owner Joe Lacob: 'We will spend money'

OAKLAND, Calif. – It was only a couple of years ago that the Warriors, as a franchise, were wallowing in the basement of the Western Conference, frequently well on the outside of the NBA’s playoff party. But, in the winter of 2011, the team was sold to a group headed by Joe Lacob and Peter Guber for what was then a record $450 million.

In an incredibly quick turnaround, the new ownership cleaned house—on the roster and in the front office—and the result has been a talented young team that earned a playoff spot last year, reaching the second round and pushing the eventual West champs, the Spurs, to six games.

With training camp underway and further improvement in sight, Lacob sat down with Sporting News in his office here to discuss a number of topics, including the Warriors’ prospects, keeping the young core together even with the luxury tax in place and the hiring of Mark Jackson as coach:

SN: Let’s start with the team as it stands. Are you better than you were last year? What is your outlook?

Lacob: We have improved this team on paper. Perhaps even substantially. We’re still a very young team. We have a young core that hopefully begins to organically grow and get better. We added key free agents, we added size, we added depth. We’re pretty interesting. We have very good shooting, we have very good height and depth. We’re a big team now. We have, at any time, we can put out five individual defenders that are really good defenders. We couldn’t do that a year ago.

SN: The Western Conference is very deep, though. There are good teams you’ll be up against.

Lacob: There are some really good teams in the West. But I think we are right there in that group. We believe we are right there. We feel that, if we stay injury-free, we can be a contender to finish in the Top 4 in the West and get homecourt advantage and from there, you see what happens.

SN: You bought the team in 2011, and it was not a model franchise. You were booed on the court (during Chris Mullin’s jersey retirement). There was a lot of work to be done. Was it gratifying to have a year like you did last season?

Lacob: You buy a team, especially a team like this that had such a morbid history, one playoff in 17 years before we bought it, I had to come out and make some proclamations, like, ‘We’re going to win, we’re going to change this franchise.’ Like any new owner does. I had to be the face of the franchise early on, moreso than I thought I had to, because I had to remove a lot of the executives and change the team, change the coaching staff, everything. We changed everything.

We have owned the team for the last three years, and of course, I got booed, as you know, in the spring of 2012 after the Ellis-for-Bogut trade, and really only a year from then, now we are kind of the darlings of the NBA, a team on the cusp. It is a very good feeling to know we have turned the corner, we made the playoffs, the second round of the playoffs, we’re thought of as a team that is going to be in the playoffs and it is a matter of how good we can be this year. And on the business side, we went from 7,000 season tickets when I bought the team to well over 14,000 season tickets now, and frankly we are cutting it off. There is that much interest. This year, our intent is to sell out every game.

SN: In the end, though, this is different than most businesses. You can change the management. But it all depends on the players, and you guys have managed to get the right guys, it seems.

Lacob: Right, I can only do what I can do, as ownership, as management. Players have to do it. Fortunately, we picked the right players and the right talent, and they have fit together. And we have the right coaching staff to motivate them. We put in place a massive cultural change in the offices, in the locker room. Ask the players. In September, we were not allowed to have formal practices, but all but two players were here for the whole month. (Nemanja) Nedovic had Euroleague. And Jermaine O’Neal came later in the month. But everyone else was here. It is about culture as much as it about talent.

SN: You got Andre Iguodala in free agency. Is he sort of emblematic of those changes, that you were able to break through and get a first-tier free agent to come to the Warriors?

Lacob: We started a process whereby we wanted to make a run at improving through the ways that you traditionally improve a team. Draft, we have bought draft picks all three years we have been involved here. We wanted to have more shots at bringing in players. Free agency, we wanted to be in the conversation every year. Andre Iguodala, he wanted to come here and came here for less than he would have gotten somewhere else. It was emblematic of the way he sees our franchise and the changes we have made. We have made it clear we want a championship. We will spend the money. I said I would be willing to go into the luxury tax for that, and we would have. It wound up that we did not have to do it that way.

SN: You have a core of young players like Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes. It can be hard to keep talent together under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Does that worry you? The Thunder lost James Harden, for example.

Lacob: As time goes by, we will have some challenges in that regard. We will have to deal with that as those situations occur. Steph Curry is signed up for the long term—the long term is four years in the NBA now. Klay is in his third year, Harrison is in his second year. So it is not an urgent problem right now. But eventually, that could become a problem, how do you keep them? It is not going to be a monetary issue because this ownership is willing to spend whatever it takes to build a championship here and be extremely competitive every year. That isn’t something I even think about, we will spend the money.

SN: Even if it means going into luxury tax territory?

Lacob: I don’t want to pay the luxury tax, nobody wants to. That’s why it is a luxury tax, it is very punitive. But if it means winning vs. not winning, I choose winning. So that’s not an issue. At the end of the day, all the things we are talking about are important, but the fans care about one thing: Are you winning? Not the luxury tax. If I am not here to win, then I shouldn’t be here. We need to win.

SN: Is the new CBA working, as far as you can tell? If there is a chance good young players have to go elsewhere, isn’t that a bad thing?

Lacob: I think the league is in better shape than it was before. Teams are economically—I would not say profitable, necessarily, but they’re in a more feasible situation than before. That helps. You can’t have players making more and more money and teams losing money. … The nice thing about the new CBA is that it is a 50-50 split and you know what? If you think about it, it is inherently fair.

SN: You have taken some risks here. Start with hiring Mark Jackson to coach.

Lacob: Anyone who knows me knows that I am a risk-taker. I have been in the venture capital business for three decades, with start-ups. Talk about risk. Mark Jackson was a risk in that he had not been a coach before, but we felt that he was a great leader and we felt we needed that—we felt that players would listen to him, they would follow him, he had been in the league 17 years. If you ever listen to Mark Jackson speak, he is a minister, he is pretty compelling. We thought he could do this job and he has done that.

SN: You also gave Stephen Curry an extension after he had been injured. That was not something everyone would have done.

Lacob: Curry was a risk, too, because he had ankle problems. A lot of people questioned signing him to a long-term deal—I would read it, every day, ‘Will he ever be healthy? Ever?’ He had several years of chronic ankle problems. But I looked at that and thought, ‘I don’t remember an ankle ending a guy’s career.’ I believed with good medical attention, he was going to be able to overcome that. And we probably got a discount relative to what someone else would have paid for him at the end of last year, given the performance he had. At that moment, though, yes, a lot of people wouldn’t have signed him. We took the chance, we signed him and now we look like we’re pretty smart.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ph-curry-mark-jackson-ownership-san-francisco

:pimp:

Bros.......can anyone hook me up with a quick photoshop? I cant imagine that this will be a complicated one. I need a new fantasy football team logo.

My team is called Air Jordy.

I need this jumpman logo:

View media item 601981
With Jordy's head shopped onto the logo.

View media item 601982
Dont worry about sizing Jordy's head to the size of the jumpman head. In fact, it might even be funnier if it was a little bit bigger.....NBA Jam style. :lol:

Thanks in advance if someone is bored and is down to do this for me.

Last edited:
Yeah we have been doing it for a small amount of money. Dude I could have sworn you have been in it this whole time. Right?

Sorry menace, I didn't renew the league. I'm bowing out as commish. I just can't do it because of my work schedule.

But if anyone were to start one up, I'd be down. Lol.

Come on Paul.  Do it!!!
laugh.gif

In all seriousness though....how much time does it take to run our fantasy basketball league from a commissioner's standpoint?  I would volunteer but I am the commissioner of two football leagues and I'd rather not take on another one that runs at the same time. 

Last edited:
Okay, I can make the league.

I just need to know if there's enough interest from the Warriors thread regulars.

Don't plan on making a video of the draft order, but I'll draw names out of a hat, you guys just have to trust me on that. :lol:

Count me in.

Oh god, offline drafts are a nightmare :lol:.

EDIT: Will be making the season thread in a bit.

Last edited:
dland, the offline drafts kinda drag on. I just know last year was a pain because I needed sleep after getting off work in the morning but I stayed up longer than I should have to notify people it was their turn for their pick and updated the players picked on Yahoo. After the draft, the commish duties really wasn't much. Just telling the winners who will be paying their payouts.

Sorry menace, I didn't renew the league. I'm bowing out as commish. I just can't do it because of my work schedule.

But if anyone were to start one up, I'd be down. Lol.

I was, just thought you guys started without me this year

dland, the offline drafts kinda drag on. I just know last year was a pain because I needed sleep after getting off work in the morning but I stayed up longer than I should have to notify people it was their turn for their pick and updated the players picked on Yahoo. After the draft, the commish duties really wasn't much. Just telling the winners who will be paying their payouts.

hated the offline drafts. "the menace rule" :smh:
wasn't informed about when it would start the past two years and got auto picked my 1st round :x

that was the only part i hated about it, but it did give me time to plan out my draft picks. if yahoo allows mobile drafting like it did with the football this year, then there should be no excuse not to do an online draft right?

Back
Top Bottom