God's Son >>>>>> It Was Written (Vol. The Hitchcock Of Hip Hop, Since BIG Pop Departed)

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Harlem da same dude though that considered Drake's Thank Me Later a Classic....so what da story, you think Drake's album a classic

yet you think It Was Written trash...im just waiting for him say da drake's album is better
grin.gif
laugh.gif
Provided they're from 2 TOTALLY different generations...

TML is a modern day CLASSIC, I'll stand by that statement until the sun burns out...

I don't think I'd let a group of guys that think IWW is a classic change my opinion on either albums...

I don't think you can really compare the 2... Lord Willin is an modern day CLASSIC, but I wouldn't pit it against OB4CL because it doesn't do either one of the albums justice...

Now if we wanna compare IWW to albums from that time period... I'm more than willing, we've done this several times before... IWW isn't even the BEST album of the summer of 96, let alone the year of 96... Its NOT even close to be honest...
such a cop out answer
laugh.gif
you know DAMN WELL if u put drake's thank me later VS It Was Written head to head drake's album is gonna melt into plastic doo doo.

don't even give me that "its 2 albums from 2 generations" garbage..if a album is classic its gonna sound good compared to anything modern.

no one believes you that it was written isn't a classic..that facts are just too against you.

-its Nas highest selling album..period

-its his best produced album..no other Nas album sonically sounds better front to back...this was when people had Nas holding his hand when it came to picking beats.

-sounds as good or better then any other Nas album.

your problem is judging Nas applying his lyrical acumen on a "fabricated" persona  when in reality you should judge how well he painted that picture, which

was undeniable masterful.

da source had that album as one of da best of 1996...we're talking about Source magazine in THEIR PRIME..so any little chance of you smearing this album with a bad

taint is pretty much in vain.

Harlem da same dude though that considered Drake's Thank Me Later a Classic....so what da story, you think Drake's album a classic

yet you think It Was Written trash...im just waiting for him say da drake's album is better
grin.gif
laugh.gif
Provided they're from 2 TOTALLY different generations...

TML is a modern day CLASSIC, I'll stand by that statement until the sun burns out...

I don't think I'd let a group of guys that think IWW is a classic change my opinion on either albums...

I don't think you can really compare the 2... Lord Willin is an modern day CLASSIC, but I wouldn't pit it against OB4CL because it doesn't do either one of the albums justice...

Now if we wanna compare IWW to albums from that time period... I'm more than willing, we've done this several times before... IWW isn't even the BEST album of the summer of 96, let alone the year of 96... Its NOT even close to be honest...
such a cop out answer
laugh.gif
you know DAMN WELL if u put drake's thank me later VS It Was Written head to head drake's album is gonna melt into plastic doo doo.

don't even give me that "its 2 albums from 2 generations" garbage..if a album is classic its gonna sound good compared to anything modern.

no one believes you that it was written isn't a classic..that facts are just too against you.

-its Nas highest selling album..period

-its his best produced album..no other Nas album sonically sounds better front to back...this was when people had Nas holding his hand when it came to picking beats.

-sounds as good or better then any other Nas album.

your problem is judging Nas applying his lyrical acumen on a "fabricated" persona  when in reality you should judge how well he painted that picture, which

was undeniable masterful.

da source had that album as one of da best of 1996...we're talking about Source magazine in THEIR PRIME..so any little chance of you smearing this album with a bad

taint is pretty much in vain.

Now CAKE, you my brotha... But you DEAD wrong for this one...

You can't say IWW is a CLASSIC then say Blueprint isn't... No way...

IMO there are only 2 flaws on BP ("That N Jigga" & "Hola Hovito"), but as I said before no one is saying the album is FLAWLESS (cause VERY few albums are, if any), but that album is EVERYthing it needed to be AND more...

Blueprint is like a therapy session where as Steadman is sittin on the couch just sharing his every thought on the state of the game, and reflecting on the path he walked to get him into the position he's in... On both the street and business level... It also features "Song Cry" which is one of the VERY few tracks where he goes in depth about a relationship with a woman...

Not sure if its fair to compare the 2 albums because their from 2 different era, but I'd take BP over IWW ANY day of the week, other than the times I've done mini reviews, I've not had the desire to listen to IWW all the way through since 7th grade when it was one of the FEW CDs I had for roadtrips, and even then I damn near broke the skip button... BP has BETTER production, a BETTER concept, its put togeather much better, MORE depth... Basically everything an album can be, is what BP is standing over IWW...

Steadman's 4 Classics:
1. Reasonable Doubt
2. Blueprint
3. The Black Album
4. American Gangster

Now CAKE, you my brotha... But you DEAD wrong for this one...

You can't say IWW is a CLASSIC then say Blueprint isn't... No way...

IMO there are only 2 flaws on BP ("That N Jigga" & "Hola Hovito"), but as I said before no one is saying the album is FLAWLESS (cause VERY few albums are, if any), but that album is EVERYthing it needed to be AND more...

Blueprint is like a therapy session where as Steadman is sittin on the couch just sharing his every thought on the state of the game, and reflecting on the path he walked to get him into the position he's in... On both the street and business level... It also features "Song Cry" which is one of the VERY few tracks where he goes in depth about a relationship with a woman...

Not sure if its fair to compare the 2 albums because their from 2 different era, but I'd take BP over IWW ANY day of the week, other than the times I've done mini reviews, I've not had the desire to listen to IWW all the way through since 7th grade when it was one of the FEW CDs I had for roadtrips, and even then I damn near broke the skip button... BP has BETTER production, a BETTER concept, its put togeather much better, MORE depth... Basically everything an album can be, is what BP is standing over IWW...

Steadman's 4 Classics:
1. Reasonable Doubt
2. Blueprint
3. The Black Album
4. American Gangster

Originally Posted by cguy610

1. "Made You Look"  - average
  2. "Heaven  - Subpar/average song

Two great reasons why no one should ever take your opinion seriously again.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jthagreat

The problem is people equate albums that are their favorites or they have personal attachments with to being a classic.  Every album that you feel had heat is not a classic.  Anyways IWW is not an album full of heat by any means but to each their own.
word to two his albums GodSon and Stillmatic. classic in my eyes cause i love the albums, but if you go song for song, theres some weak tracks...
Doesn't mean they ain't CLASSICS tho...

No one is sayin either album is FLAWLESS...

That's in the case of Stillmatic & God's Son...

Now IWW... That's another story... Cats just call it a classic cause they don't know any better, I mean they prolly couldn't name 10 other significant albums from that year, they just automatically see its a NaS album and wanna call it a classic based on the artist and not the actual material (tho that could prolly be said about the aforementioned albums)...

but "yall" cant pick and choose who yall do this with and who yall dont.

I mean folks have said 8 classics, 6 classics, BY ONE ARTIST??!!!

the answer is no.
I think a factor in something being a classic is its impact or music or that albums impact on an artists career as well.  I think that factor is lost in judging a classic by many on here.  And yeah to say Nas who is my second favorite rapper ever has 6 classics is just plain silly.

The albums that are being mentioned here as classics for Nas some are ridiculous.  GS, IWW and Stillmatic are all good albums that I really like but none of them are classics.  Each of those albums have a collection of good music but a few notable duds/un-listenable tracks.  IMO you can't have a classic with 2 or more un-listenable tracks on an album.

Many Nas fans don't want to admit it but Nas is a great rapper and one of the best to ever do it but he has only one classic album and that is Illmatic.  I will admit that Nas is hurt by the fact that many foolishly expect him to make another Illmatic and he faces many unrealistic expectations but the man has only one classic and a handful of very good (4/5 -4.5/5 rated albums).

You can be a fan of an artist but damn at least lets try to be objective people.

The problem is people equate albums that are their favorites or they have personal attachments with to being a classic.  Every album that you feel had heat is not a classic.  Anyways IWW is not an album full of heat by any means but to each their own.
word to two his albums GodSon and Stillmatic. classic in my eyes cause i love the albums, but if you go song for song, theres some weak tracks...
Doesn't mean they ain't CLASSICS tho...

No one is sayin either album is FLAWLESS...

That's in the case of Stillmatic & God's Son...

Now IWW... That's another story... Cats just call it a classic cause they don't know any better, I mean they prolly couldn't name 10 other significant albums from that year, they just automatically see its a NaS album and wanna call it a classic based on the artist and not the actual material (tho that could prolly be said about the aforementioned albums)...

but "yall" cant pick and choose who yall do this with and who yall dont.

I mean folks have said 8 classics, 6 classics, BY ONE ARTIST??!!!

the answer is no.
I think a factor in something being a classic is its impact or music or that albums impact on an artists career as well.  I think that factor is lost in judging a classic by many on here.  And yeah to say Nas who is my second favorite rapper ever has 6 classics is just plain silly.

The albums that are being mentioned here as classics for Nas some are ridiculous.  GS, IWW and Stillmatic are all good albums that I really like but none of them are classics.  Each of those albums have a collection of good music but a few notable duds/un-listenable tracks.  IMO you can't have a classic with 2 or more un-listenable tracks on an album.

Many Nas fans don't want to admit it but Nas is a great rapper and one of the best to ever do it but he has only one classic album and that is Illmatic.  I will admit that Nas is hurt by the fact that many foolishly expect him to make another Illmatic and he faces many unrealistic expectations but the man has only one classic and a handful of very good (4/5 -4.5/5 rated albums).

You can be a fan of an artist but damn at least lets try to be objective people.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

smh.gif
cguy I am truly dissapoint.
That is all.

laugh.gif
  When you listen to the lyrics, it's got a Nastradamus feel to it.  The whole "Braaaaaveheeaaarts"  "you a slave to my rhyme book" "baller convention free admission"

Come on Ruxx.  If I was to give Made You Look anything above average, I'd have to change every single average rating on It Was Written.  (including If I Ruled the World which I also gave an average to even though its better than Made You Look.)

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

smh.gif
cguy I am truly dissapoint.
That is all.

laugh.gif
  When you listen to the lyrics, it's got a Nastradamus feel to it.  The whole "Braaaaaveheeaaarts"  "you a slave to my rhyme book" "baller convention free admission"

Come on Ruxx.  If I was to give Made You Look anything above average, I'd have to change every single average rating on It Was Written.  (including If I Ruled the World which I also gave an average to even though its better than Made You Look.)

He's just as wrong about the Blueprint as you are about It Was Written, though.

Yall N's is sounding like Tea Baggers trying to tell people Obama wasnt born in the US, while everyone else just rolls their eyes at yall
laugh.gif

And whats this about Nas having 6 classics and Jay having 4 or whatever lets be real now...

Nas Classics- Illmatic, It Was Written, Lost Tapes... and most people say Stillmatic (I disagree strongly, but i'm in the minority so i'll throw it on there...)

Jay Classics- Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint...with close calls being black album and In my life time...

I don't wanna hear about no mutha #@@@%+$ American Gangsta
laugh.gif
...that N sound like he was out of breath that whole album, trying to recreate a sound he did perfect in the mid 90's and only doing it about a quarter as good..

He's just as wrong about the Blueprint as you are about It Was Written, though.

Yall N's is sounding like Tea Baggers trying to tell people Obama wasnt born in the US, while everyone else just rolls their eyes at yall
laugh.gif

And whats this about Nas having 6 classics and Jay having 4 or whatever lets be real now...

Nas Classics- Illmatic, It Was Written, Lost Tapes... and most people say Stillmatic (I disagree strongly, but i'm in the minority so i'll throw it on there...)

Jay Classics- Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint...with close calls being black album and In my life time...

I don't wanna hear about no mutha #@@@%+$ American Gangsta
laugh.gif
...that N sound like he was out of breath that whole album, trying to recreate a sound he did perfect in the mid 90's and only doing it about a quarter as good..

Originally Posted by raw spice

laugh.gif

Are you telling me that those are 2 Great songs?  Otherwise, it's just a slight difference of opinion, this is music/art here, nobody's going to completely agree on anything.

Originally Posted by raw spice

laugh.gif

Are you telling me that those are 2 Great songs?  Otherwise, it's just a slight difference of opinion, this is music/art here, nobody's going to completely agree on anything.

I like American Gangster, but it just missed being a classic to me...It was some vintage hov, but nothing we hadn't really seen before...

I'm prolly the only one that think Vol. 1 is a classic, but to me that album bangs straight through (with the obvious exception of "I know what girls like") but I saw a transition from RD to Vol. 1, it felt like a much grittier, harder Jay compared to a much more smooth, mafioso Jay on RD.

I like American Gangster, but it just missed being a classic to me...It was some vintage hov, but nothing we hadn't really seen before...

I'm prolly the only one that think Vol. 1 is a classic, but to me that album bangs straight through (with the obvious exception of "I know what girls like") but I saw a transition from RD to Vol. 1, it felt like a much grittier, harder Jay compared to a much more smooth, mafioso Jay on RD.

Back
Top Bottom