Going Vegan for 7 days, any tips, tricks? Update: DAY 11 and I'm Still Doin It...kind of

proper english wrote:
why not go pescatarian? its a much easier transition (so ive heard). 

yeah you might wanna start off beign a pescatarian then work your way down to vegetarian then vegan.

proper english wrote:
why not go pescatarian? its a much easier transition (so ive heard). 

yeah you might wanna start off beign a pescatarian then work your way down to vegetarian then vegan.

Include these in your meals and you'll be great:

almonds
mangoes
sweet potatoes
avocado/guac (crush up an avocado and sprinkle some lemon juice and black pepper and put that on some whole grain bread (toasted) and have that as a snack or breakfast, and you'll have enough from one avocado to be able to reuse it a few times)
spinach
carrots
rice
tomatoes
grapes
blueberries
plums
cranberries
bananas
apples
oranges

Basically have your 3 meals:

Grains in the morning (I like to add flax seed (omega-3s) to either my cereal or oatmeal, just make sure it's already crushed and in powder form or else you'll just poop it out like corn)
Salad in the afternoon Mix in whatever veggies you want
Rice or pasta at night with either sauce or vegetables (or if you like any of the meat alternatives)

And have fruit as your snacks. Try to eat as many colors and different kinds of fruits as you can, never eat the same twice in a day.

Be prepared to have some great bowel movements.
Also, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day and mix in either some black cherry, pomegranate, grape or blueberry juice. Just make sure you're getting one that doesn't have any filler ingredients. Your typical label should read whatever juice it is, water, natural flavor.

Also, olive oil (a really rich one--deep color), oregano and black pepper are a nice little touch to bread if you don't feel like eating a salad, or wanna make a veggie sandwich.

almonds
mangoes
sweet potatoes
avocado/guac (crush up an avocado and sprinkle some lemon juice and black pepper and put that on some whole grain bread (toasted) and have that as a snack or breakfast, and you'll have enough from one avocado to be able to reuse it a few times)
spinach
carrots
rice
tomatoes
grapes
blueberries
plums
cranberries
bananas
apples
oranges

Grains in the morning (I like to add flax seed (omega-3s) to either my cereal or oatmeal, just make sure it's already crushed and in powder form or else you'll just poop it out like corn)
Rice or pasta at night with either sauce or vegetables (or if you like any of the meat alternatives)

And have fruit as your snacks. Try to eat as many colors and different kinds of fruits as you can, never eat the same twice in a day.

Also, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day and mix in either some black cherry, pomegranate, grape or blueberry juice. Just make sure you're getting one that doesn't have any filler ingredients. Your typical label should read whatever juice it is, water, natural flavor.

Also, olive oil (a really rich one--deep color), oregano and black pepper are a nice little touch to bread if you don't feel like eating a salad, or wanna make a veggie sandwich.

Reading thread tittles too fast unappreciation. I was about to give tips for going to VEGAS for 7 days.

Reading thread tittles too fast unappreciation. I was about to give tips for going to VEGAS for 7 days.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

almonds
mangoes
sweet potatoes
spinach
carrots
rice
tomatoes
grapes
blueberries
plums
cranberries
bananas
apples
oranges

I eat mostly natural foods as much as i can/afford. I'm well aware of the bowel movements lol! Nice and easy doesn't even describe it. If anything this diet has me going less, probably because of the smaller amounts I'm eating. I used to go everytime I ate or at least twice a day. Now I'm probably at once or twice a day, but definitely not as often. It's strange.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

almonds
mangoes
sweet potatoes
spinach
carrots
rice
tomatoes
grapes
blueberries
plums
cranberries
bananas
apples
oranges

I eat mostly natural foods as much as i can/afford. I'm well aware of the bowel movements lol! Nice and easy doesn't even describe it. If anything this diet has me going less, probably because of the smaller amounts I'm eating. I used to go everytime I ate or at least twice a day. Now I'm probably at once or twice a day, but definitely not as often. It's strange.

Man i read that title as Going Vegas for 7 Days. I typed some +!#* and looked the posts and thought man this is not the typical vegas topic talk. Man i'm too high and too tired for niketalk.-

Man i read that title as Going Vegas for 7 Days. I typed some +!#* and looked the posts and thought man this is not the typical vegas topic talk. Man i'm too high and too tired for niketalk.-

Two more days, I don't see myself carrying this on much longer. I know it's still been only 5 days, but I have yet to notice anything really great about the way I feel. Although, I am thinking it's time to go all fish and some dairy as others have pointed out. I've given up meat the last two years for lent...Now I'm wondering about the next challenge. Two more days, two more days...
If you were out of shape, would you quit training after ONE week 1) because it's hard and 2) because you didn't "notice anything really great" about the way you feel?

For anyone interested, here are a couple of good books for vegan athletes:

Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
http://store.veganessentials.com/ve...ng-your-body-on-a-plant-based-diet-p3014.aspx

Research through Google ways that a vegetarian gets protein. I won't copy and paste for you because you will learn more if you do your own research. But the whole protein issue is overrated if you ask me.
Exactly.  Gorillas, who often exceed 450 pounds and are far stronger than humans, are herbivorous.  Where are you gonna get your protein?  The same place the cow got his.  The only difference is, since you're not going through an intermediary, you'll bypass all of the growth hormones, cholesterol, etc. found in animal products. 

There's a reason why so many people with heart problems convert to vegan diets.  Personally, I'd rather use it to avoid heart problems entirely.  An ounce of prevention, as they say.

It's really not that difficult once you become acclimated to it.  There are plenty of vegan snacks and junk foods out there for people who choose the diet solely for ethical and/or environmental reasons, but then you're still going to deal with cravings, lack of energy, etc. because you aren't eating real, whole foods.  You're not gonna live on corn chips.

If you're going to eat plant-based junk just to make it through a week as a dare or a challenge, fine - it's productive in the sense that any reduction in the consumption of animal products can be interpreted as a net gain - but that's like using Shake Weight for a week and saying "Man, I don't know what this whole exercise craze is all about.  I'll tell you, I worked out hard for a whole week and it didn't do anything for me.  What a waste of time and money."  Ultramarathon runners, triathletes, MMA fighters, bodybuilders, and other professional athletes have all praised the benefits of vegan diets, particularly raw vegan diets.  It just comes down to whether you really want to do it or not.

Two more days, I don't see myself carrying this on much longer. I know it's still been only 5 days, but I have yet to notice anything really great about the way I feel. Although, I am thinking it's time to go all fish and some dairy as others have pointed out. I've given up meat the last two years for lent...Now I'm wondering about the next challenge. Two more days, two more days...
If you were out of shape, would you quit training after ONE week 1) because it's hard and 2) because you didn't "notice anything really great" about the way you feel?

For anyone interested, here are a couple of good books for vegan athletes:

Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
http://store.veganessentials.com/ve...ng-your-body-on-a-plant-based-diet-p3014.aspx

Research through Google ways that a vegetarian gets protein. I won't copy and paste for you because you will learn more if you do your own research. But the whole protein issue is overrated if you ask me.
Exactly.  Gorillas, who often exceed 450 pounds and are far stronger than humans, are herbivorous.  Where are you gonna get your protein?  The same place the cow got his.  The only difference is, since you're not going through an intermediary, you'll bypass all of the growth hormones, cholesterol, etc. found in animal products. 

There's a reason why so many people with heart problems convert to vegan diets.  Personally, I'd rather use it to avoid heart problems entirely.  An ounce of prevention, as they say.

It's really not that difficult once you become acclimated to it.  There are plenty of vegan snacks and junk foods out there for people who choose the diet solely for ethical and/or environmental reasons, but then you're still going to deal with cravings, lack of energy, etc. because you aren't eating real, whole foods.  You're not gonna live on corn chips.

If you're going to eat plant-based junk just to make it through a week as a dare or a challenge, fine - it's productive in the sense that any reduction in the consumption of animal products can be interpreted as a net gain - but that's like using Shake Weight for a week and saying "Man, I don't know what this whole exercise craze is all about.  I'll tell you, I worked out hard for a whole week and it didn't do anything for me.  What a waste of time and money."  Ultramarathon runners, triathletes, MMA fighters, bodybuilders, and other professional athletes have all praised the benefits of vegan diets, particularly raw vegan diets.  It just comes down to whether you really want to do it or not.

Hell, most humans that aren't even vegetarians don't get a large amount of protein. Which is why so many folks rely on those questionable protein supplements (which we have NO idea of the long term effects they have on the human body). I don't really focus on my protein intake. I get what I get man. I eat right and try to get enough fruits and veggies daily. For the most part I don't even eat much meat during the week.

There is SO MUCH non meat food out in the world man. So much.

Like I mentioned early, I look forward to making my shakes in the AM. Right now I have been using the Lettuce, Cucumber, Carrot, Mixed Fruit, Celery mix. But in blender with water and ice and I am good until I make my breakfast.

I am been taught to not make meat the dominant force on my plate. Western culture seems to make their plates majority meat compared to everything else. I am making a conscious effort to change that about myself.

Hell, most humans that aren't even vegetarians don't get a large amount of protein. Which is why so many folks rely on those questionable protein supplements (which we have NO idea of the long term effects they have on the human body). I don't really focus on my protein intake. I get what I get man. I eat right and try to get enough fruits and veggies daily. For the most part I don't even eat much meat during the week.

There is SO MUCH non meat food out in the world man. So much.

Like I mentioned early, I look forward to making my shakes in the AM. Right now I have been using the Lettuce, Cucumber, Carrot, Mixed Fruit, Celery mix. But in blender with water and ice and I am good until I make my breakfast.

I am been taught to not make meat the dominant force on my plate. Western culture seems to make their plates majority meat compared to everything else. I am making a conscious effort to change that about myself.

whats the difference between vegan and vegetarian?

so i cant drink normal milk if i wanted to be a vegan?

all of the oldest living people in the world currently all eat meat  
ohwell.gif

all of the oldest living people in the world currently all eat meat  
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

But we're not gorillas. Gorillas eat all day. We can't(assuming other obligations such as school, work, etc.). Gorillas have a very different digestive system from us as well. They aren't vegan either. They're omniverous, consuming insects, insect eggs, larvae, etc
Check this link out: http://www.westonaprice.o...ts/626-gorilla-diet.html

Originally Posted by Method Man

But we're not gorillas. Gorillas eat all day. We can't(assuming other obligations such as school, work, etc.). Gorillas have a very different digestive system from us as well. They aren't vegan either. They're omniverous, consuming insects, insect eggs, larvae, etc
Check this link out: http://www.westonaprice.o...ts/626-gorilla-diet.html

Back
Top Bottom