Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

At least going out will be fun tonight. Still like seeing Staters on suicide watch though.

Dunbar from Front Royal, Va., writes: Besides strength of schedule, the main reason Oregon looks weak to the computers is that the computers are blind to margin of victory. A human will be impressed by a 60-13 victory over UCLA and skeptical of a 3 point win over Kentucky (ala Auburn), but all the computers are allowed to see are Ws over mediocre teams. Interestingly, Sagarin and Massey both have the Ducks at #1 when taking into account score. Now I'm not too worried about Oregon making the NC, provided they win out, but it strikes me that a team like Boise State is the real loser of such a system, since the computers cannot acknowledge how impressive they've been against their admittedly weak schedule. Why the idiotic BCS rule of throwing away good information by not allowing computers to know the margin of victory? And let's not pretend this is about sportsmanship -- the geeks could easily implement a margin-of-victory ceiling.

Ted Miller: I agree. You could install a the margin of victory distinction that only registers to, say, 28 points, which would mean there's no need to score a fourth-quarter touchdown if you're winning by 40. Unless you're Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll is back coaching at USC.

Margin of victory was eliminated from the BCS system in 2001. Now, some Ducks fans may know what's coming, but I'll let Chris Dufresne of the LA Times explain.
The irony: Oregon's national title drive in 2001 was derailed because margin of victory was in the formula -- the Ducks won a lot of close games that year. Oregon finished No. 4 in the BCS despite finishing No. 2 in both polls.
This year, the lack of MOV has hurt Oregon, which has scored several lopsided wins, including a 60-13 decision over UCLA last Thursday.

Hancock said BCS conference commissioners discuss MOV every year but are intent on keeping it out of the computer component.

I think the topic should be revisited.

laugh.gif

Dunbar from Front Royal, Va., writes: Besides strength of schedule, the main reason Oregon looks weak to the computers is that the computers are blind to margin of victory. A human will be impressed by a 60-13 victory over UCLA and skeptical of a 3 point win over Kentucky (ala Auburn), but all the computers are allowed to see are Ws over mediocre teams. Interestingly, Sagarin and Massey both have the Ducks at #1 when taking into account score. Now I'm not too worried about Oregon making the NC, provided they win out, but it strikes me that a team like Boise State is the real loser of such a system, since the computers cannot acknowledge how impressive they've been against their admittedly weak schedule. Why the idiotic BCS rule of throwing away good information by not allowing computers to know the margin of victory? And let's not pretend this is about sportsmanship -- the geeks could easily implement a margin-of-victory ceiling.

Ted Miller: I agree. You could install a the margin of victory distinction that only registers to, say, 28 points, which would mean there's no need to score a fourth-quarter touchdown if you're winning by 40. Unless you're Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll is back coaching at USC.

Margin of victory was eliminated from the BCS system in 2001. Now, some Ducks fans may know what's coming, but I'll let Chris Dufresne of the LA Times explain.
The irony: Oregon's national title drive in 2001 was derailed because margin of victory was in the formula -- the Ducks won a lot of close games that year. Oregon finished No. 4 in the BCS despite finishing No. 2 in both polls.
This year, the lack of MOV has hurt Oregon, which has scored several lopsided wins, including a 60-13 decision over UCLA last Thursday.

Hancock said BCS conference commissioners discuss MOV every year but are intent on keeping it out of the computer component.

I think the topic should be revisited.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom