Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Overrated: Oregon's offense. On a per-play basis, Oregon's was not the best offense in the country. It simply ran more plays than everybody else. Plus, the Ducks faced only one defense from the defensive F/+ top 25; they ranked first in points per game and second in yards, but just 23rd in offensive S&P+. Clearly this is an elite offense, but the lack of defensive challenges prevents us from knowing just how elite.

This is ******ed. The article needs to be renamed "Oregon's offense potentially untested". Just because nobody's stopped'em (sans Cal) doesn't mean that they're overrated.

Petrino.jpg

Justin Worley was named Gatorade national HS player of the Yr.

its been a long time since we had 2 legit QBs on the roster at the same time, Hopefully Justin pans out.

Pac-10
Overrated: Oregon's offense. On a per-play basis, Oregon's was not the best offense in the country. It simply ran more plays than everybody else. Plus, the Ducks faced only one defense from the defensive F/+ top 25; they ranked first in points per game and second in yards, but just 23rd in offensive S&P+. Clearly this is an elite offense, but the lack of defensive challenges prevents us from knowing just how elite.

Underrated: Oregon State's offense. The Beavers took on all comers in nonconference play and paid the price. Both Boise State's and TCU's defenses ranked among the top five in defensive F/+, and unlike Oregon, Oregon State actually had to play Oregon as well, bumping its strength of schedule up even more. The Beavers' offense ranked 95th in yards per game, but finished a respectable 26th in offensive F/+ and 24th in rushing S&P+.

Wait a minute... So Oregon's offense shouldn't be ranked number one because they haven't played any tough defenses but TCU and Boise State's defensive rankings are substantiated because they've been SO battled tested with their tough schedules??? I'm not saying there isn't a little validity to Oregon not having played tough competition. But, you can't say that in one breath and then consider TCU and BSU's Top 5 defensive rankings too legitimate...

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

Pac-10

Underrated: Oregon State's offense. The Beavers took on all comers in nonconference play and paid the price. Both Boise State's and TCU's defenses ranked among the top five in defensive F/+, and unlike Oregon, Oregon State actually had to play Oregon as well, bumping its strength of schedule up even more. The Beavers' offense ranked 95th in yards per game, but finished a respectable 26th in offensive F/+ and 24th in rushing S&P+.

Wait a minute... So Oregon's offense shouldn't be ranked number one because they haven't played any tough defenses but TCU and Boise State's defensive rankings are substantiated because they've been SO battled tested with their tough schedules??? I'm not saying there isn't a little validity to Oregon not having played tough competition. But, you can't say that in one breath and then consider TCU and BSU's Top 5 defensive rankings too legitimate...

That article was one of the dumbest things I've ever read on college sports.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

why would anyone want a guy who changes jobs every 3 yrs?

silly move if they get for Petrino
Exactly.  Don't want this guy at all.

Oregon's offense was only challenged by Cal
pimp.gif
. If Cal actually had offense, and if their starting QB wasn't hurt, Oregon probably wouldn't be playing for the BCS title right now.

Moral victories
pimp.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by rawjs

why would anyone want a guy who changes jobs every 3 yrs?

silly move if they get for Petrino
Exactly.  Don't want this guy at all.
-I wouldn't either. I know most CFB coaches aren't saints but Petrino is just a $+#%@@ human being with no scruples whatsoever. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll if I were an AD. 
-Curtis Grant said he wasn't shocked to hear Urban leaving because he had a dream about it a couple months ago and in his dream Charlie Strong came back to coach UF and they won 3 national titles together.
laugh.gif
You can't make this up.

-Miam's recruiting class is down to only 4 now
sick.gif
They really need to find somebody credible that will get kids excited and jump back on board. Whoever comes in will have some good upperclass talent to work with immediately though.

-VT recruiting notes for bigmike to ignore:

-There was an article in the Roanoke Times today with quotes from Marquise Williams HS coach. He basically said he's deciding between UNC and VT (duh), he wouldn't have wavered on UNC if not for the investigations, and he's leaning towards VT. 

"Williams (6 foot 3 [sup]1[/sup][sub]2[/sub], 220 pounds) committed to North Carolina in July but made an official visit to Blacksburg in October and returned unofficially for the Hokies' season finale against Virginia. Before his departure, members of the Hokies' staff 

were led to believe he would sign with Tech."He didn't tell me that," Brand said, "but I think, if he told them he's coming, he's coming. If there's one thing I've stressed to him, it was not to lead people astray."

-Stephone Anthony is a VT lean at this point but he's taking official visits to Clemson, UF, VT, then NC State in January and won't decide officially til after then unless something changes.

-Travis Hughes is down to VT and MD, he wants to go somewhere very close to home and Clemson (while still pretty close) is a little too far. 

-Kiaro Holts (currently committed to UNC) is talking about taking more official visits now and might open up his recruitment. He's from the same HS in Indiana as Darren Evans and Kris Harley. I have no idea if he's looking at us again but I'd have to think we'd be an option.

[font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ Granny
[/font]

CFB awards come on tonight.

Have the awards already been announced, prior to the airing of the show?

If so, can someone post them?
nerd.gif

why because it questioned Oregon's Offense being dubbed Elite ?

there was alot of solid stuff in there
I only question it because of his logic. Of course, I think every year these kinds of questions are going to be raised about a number of programs.
Who exactly did USC play in 2005 that had a great defense? That team has been labeled the greatest offense in college football history. I would definitely say that offense was elite. I'm not saying Oregon 2010 is USC 2005, but rather that you can't exactly say that Oregon's offense is overrated because they haven't played an "elite" defense. Who's to say they aren't just THAT much better than their competition? There's no way of knowing.

UF job better than Miami's in every way but one
UF has more resources, better facilities – but Miami is an easier path to winning
Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist
10:31 p.m. EST, December 8, 2010

Ask yourself this: Which job would you take? Which program has more positives? Because it's not even close, is it?

Except for one area, Florida's football job is so much better than Miami's that Urban Meyer had to convince himself twice to quit it. He grew emotional each time. And we're still in the 24-hour cone of regret where he could double-back yet again.

This is important because, on some level, it's Florida vs. Miami now. Both have job openings. Both will be reading over similar resumes. And both will be judged by candidates for what they offer.

Florida has more money. Florida has better facilities. Florida has an on-campus stadium it could fill for tiddly-winks, has won more recent championships, churns out more NFL talent of late and recruits from the same rich basin of high-school football that is considered Miami's top drawing card.

And creative resources? Listen, when Jon Gruden met with Miami, athletic director Kirby Hocutt recently, here were some demands:

1. A $3.4 million salary.

2. A $1 million salary for his brother, Jay, who would be the offensive coordinator.

3. A guarantee that if certain winning standards were met Jay would become his successor.

4. A private plane at his disposal for recruiting or anything else he wanted.

No. 3 was a deal-breaker. It said Gruden really wasn't serious about the job. But Miami officials, who had no problem with the salary dollars, did wonder where they would get a private plane like that for Gruden.

Florida, you figure, simply would pass the hat among its Bull Gators to gift a twin-engine Cessna, if that was the only holdup.

So no wonder Mississippi State's Dan Mullen pulled back on looking at Miami in the past week. No doubt, his former boss in Gainesville gave him the wink-wink. Would anyone be surprised if Gruden throws his scowl in the Florida ring, too?

Florida is one of the top five football jobs in America. Not college football. All of football. Miami, to be sure, is one of the top three in Florida. And it has only one apparent advantage over Florida that it can sell to candidates. Which is?

That's easy: Winning big is easier.

That's right. And that's not to say the incoming coach can't win at Florida. Meyer and Steve Spurrier laid blueprints in how to do it. As noted, the resources are there to do it again.

But if a coach wants to come in, and make an immediate impact, Miami looks the easier path. Miami has players to win big next year, thanks to Randy Shannon's recruiting.

It also has the conference to win big in. The ACC, for all its shabby football, is Miami's best friend right now.

See, to win big at Miami, you have to get by Virginia Tech and Florida State. That's really it. The rest of the conference consists of teams you don't want to stub your season on.

Compare that to the Southeastern Conference. Each week is a bear-hug with disaster. Georgia and Tennessee are down this year, and Florida couldn't get by South Carolina in its division. Of course, winning the division merely means playing the survivor of Alabama, LSU, Auburn or Arkansas for the title.

Some time ago, and several years after he quit coaching altogether, I asked Jimmy Johnson what was the driving motivation for him to leave Oklahoma State to take the University of Miami job.

"I wanted a bigger hammer,'' he said.

He was tired of getting beat by Oklahoma. He wanted a bigger program. Better players. Richer resources.

That's why you hear people lining up for the jobs now. Florida can get whomever it wants, really. It is as big a hammer as there is in college football. But it goes against similar hammers, week after week.

The big winner in this is Florida State. It whipped both Miami and Florida this year with its new coach, Jimbo Fisher. It now has an opening to recruit against empty chairs in Gainesville and Coral Gables that soon will be filled.

Which job would you take?

For bigger money, for better resources, for perhaps the best college-town atmosphere in football, Florida is the easy choice.

But if you want to win big, and win now, doesn't Miami look better?

Oregon coach Chip Kelly is generating a lot of buzz as a potential candidate at Florida after Urban Meyer resigned.

That makes sense. For one, reporters have to make wish lists when a big-time job opens up, and those always include the best and hottest coaches around. Kelly qualifies.

I pointed out some reasons Wednesday why I think Kelly stays put in Eugene, including a monstrous $4 million buyout.

You could toss in the bad timing: Would Florida wait until after the national title game on Jan. 10 to make it official? That's not ideal for the Gators, particularly for recruiting.

But Ken Goe found some interesting clauses in Kelly's contract that would further complicate things. Writes Goe:
And, a clause in the contract stipulates that Kelly must give Oregon 15 days written notice before leaving, and further stipulates he cannot leave during the regular season or before a postseason bowl game in which Oregon is a participant.

In other words, Florida would have to really, really want only Kelly to make the hire.

That still might be the case. But Oregon has done a good job of protecting itself, and Kelly's willingness to agree to a big buyout and such restrictive clauses shows that he wasn't terribly focused on a way to bolt town.

Travis Hughes is down to four shcools: UNC, MD, Clemson, and VT.

“I can probably put them (Clemson) like third. I love North Carolina right now. I love Maryland- they are really close to me. Virginia Tech is still high. Those four are really strong with me now.

Back
Top Bottom