Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

UF job better than Miami's in every way but one
UF has more resources, better facilities – but Miami is an easier path to winning
Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist
10:31 p.m. EST, December 8, 2010

Ask yourself this: Which job would you take? Which program has more positives? Because it's not even close, is it?

Except for one area, Florida's football job is so much better than Miami's that Urban Meyer had to convince himself twice to quit it. He grew emotional each time. And we're still in the 24-hour cone of regret where he could double-back yet again.

This is important because, on some level, it's Florida vs. Miami now. Both have job openings. Both will be reading over similar resumes. And both will be judged by candidates for what they offer.

Florida has more money. Florida has better facilities. Florida has an on-campus stadium it could fill for tiddly-winks, has won more recent championships, churns out more NFL talent of late and recruits from the same rich basin of high-school football that is considered Miami's top drawing card.

And creative resources? Listen, when Jon Gruden met with Miami, athletic director Kirby Hocutt recently, here were some demands:

1. A $3.4 million salary.

2. A $1 million salary for his brother, Jay, who would be the offensive coordinator.

3. A guarantee that if certain winning standards were met Jay would become his successor.

4. A private plane at his disposal for recruiting or anything else he wanted.

No. 3 was a deal-breaker. It said Gruden really wasn't serious about the job. But Miami officials, who had no problem with the salary dollars, did wonder where they would get a private plane like that for Gruden.

Florida, you figure, simply would pass the hat among its Bull Gators to gift a twin-engine Cessna, if that was the only holdup.

So no wonder Mississippi State's Dan Mullen pulled back on looking at Miami in the past week. No doubt, his former boss in Gainesville gave him the wink-wink. Would anyone be surprised if Gruden throws his scowl in the Florida ring, too?

Florida is one of the top five football jobs in America. Not college football. All of football. Miami, to be sure, is one of the top three in Florida. And it has only one apparent advantage over Florida that it can sell to candidates. Which is?

That's easy: Winning big is easier.

That's right. And that's not to say the incoming coach can't win at Florida. Meyer and Steve Spurrier laid blueprints in how to do it. As noted, the resources are there to do it again.

But if a coach wants to come in, and make an immediate impact, Miami looks the easier path. Miami has players to win big next year, thanks to Randy Shannon's recruiting.

It also has the conference to win big in. The ACC, for all its shabby football, is Miami's best friend right now.

See, to win big at Miami, you have to get by Virginia Tech and Florida State. That's really it. The rest of the conference consists of teams you don't want to stub your season on.

Compare that to the Southeastern Conference. Each week is a bear-hug with disaster. Georgia and Tennessee are down this year, and Florida couldn't get by South Carolina in its division. Of course, winning the division merely means playing the survivor of Alabama, LSU, Auburn or Arkansas for the title.

Some time ago, and several years after he quit coaching altogether, I asked Jimmy Johnson what was the driving motivation for him to leave Oklahoma State to take the University of Miami job.

"I wanted a bigger hammer,'' he said.

He was tired of getting beat by Oklahoma. He wanted a bigger program. Better players. Richer resources.

That's why you hear people lining up for the jobs now. Florida can get whomever it wants, really. It is as big a hammer as there is in college football. But it goes against similar hammers, week after week.

The big winner in this is Florida State. It whipped both Miami and Florida this year with its new coach, Jimbo Fisher. It now has an opening to recruit against empty chairs in Gainesville and Coral Gables that soon will be filled.

Which job would you take?

For bigger money, for better resources, for perhaps the best college-town atmosphere in football, Florida is the easy choice.

But if you want to win big, and win now, doesn't Miami look better?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IYE2

oregons offense is over rated though.
Agreed, and not just because I am a Beaver fan.  They depend way to much on their pace of play.  When the game was slowed down at Cal they were exposed.  Some people up here in the NW are dumb as rocks.  We have one radio show host on the Ducks station that thinks Chip Kelly is looking to move up to the NFL and that Jerry Jones is going to give him a call at the end of the season
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  No way in hell is Chip Kelly an NFL coach, there is no way his system would work.  I swear when I get a day off work during the week I am going to have to call in and roast some of the radio personalities up here cause they do nothing but spew a bunch of nonsense.

TP2 running his mouth:

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses — any of them — and I'd dominate," Pryor said, when asked about the attention afforded the likes of Newton, Robinson and Persa. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense.

"They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didn't even run the ball in a game. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a choice to throw, I would dominate college football."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...0,1743636.story

1lv7k.jpg

Originally Posted by rawjs

Sorry if late
BigMike makin an appearance?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
is this why there was a riot outside the coliseum?

Lemme find out IronMan and firstBorn jumped Big Mike for gettin Dubs from Granny
roll.gif

As a viewer’s guide to tonight’s festivities on ESPN, here is a complete listings of awards and finalists …

BEDNARIK AWARD
(Top defensive player)

Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
Nick Fairley, Auburn
Patrick Peterson, LSU

BILETNIKOFF AWARD
(Top wide receiver)

Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

LOU GROZA AWARD
(Top place-kicker)

Dan Bailey, Oklahoma State
Danny Hrapmann, Southern Miss
David Ruffer, Notre Dame

RAY GUY AWARD
(Top punter)

DREW BUTLER, UGA
Ryan Donahue, Iowa
Chas Henry, Florida

MAXWELL AWARD
(Top overall player)

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Kellen Moore, Boise State
Cam Newton, Auburn

DAVEY O'BRIEN AWARD
(Top quarterback)

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Kellen Moore, Boise State
Cam Newton, Auburn

OUTLAND TROPHY
(Top interior lineman)

Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Rodney Hudson, Florida State
Nate Solder, Colorado

THORPE AWARD
(Top defensive back)

Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
Tejay Johnson, TCU
Patrick Peterson, LSU

DOAK WALKER AWARD
(Top running back)

John Clay, Wisconsin
Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State
LaMichael James, Oregon

And here were winners of awards already headed out this postseason …
BROYLES AWARD (Top assistant coach): Gus Malzahn, Auburn
BUTKUS AWARD (Top linebacker): Von Miller, Texas A&M
CAMPBELL TROPHY (Top student-athlete): Sam Acho, Texas
LOMBARDI AWARD (Top down lineman): Nick Fairley, Auburn
NAGURSKI TROPHY (Top defensive player): Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Agreed, and not just because I am a Beaver fan.  They depend way to much on their pace of play.  When the game was slowed down at Cal they were exposed.  Some people up here in the NW are dumb as rocks.  We have one radio show host on the Ducks station that thinks Chip Kelly is looking to move up to the NFL and that Jerry Jones is going to give him a call at the end of the season
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  No way in hell is Chip Kelly an NFL coach, there is no way his system would work.  I swear when I get a day off work during the week I am going to have to call in and roast some of the radio personalities up here cause they do nothing but spew a bunch of nonsense.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
So Oregon's offense is overrated because a radio personality thinks Chip is going to the NFL?
In regards to Cal, I'm not going to sit here and call it a fluke game, even if Cal had to cheat to make their gameplan happen. Oregon did not play well in that game, yes, it's obvious. But people who say that Cal made the blueprint are ******ed. Oregon lost last season to two teams who shut down their offense: Boise St. and Ohio St. (Stanford too, but that game was a shootout). The gameplan has been around, and people still aren't keeping up. Is Oregon getting lucky every time they score a touchdown? Or is it possibly a testament to the coaches and how they prepare and learn from mistakes? People can say that some of Oregon's offensive statistics are inflated but I wouldn't use overrated to describe Oregon, Auburn, or Stanford, some of the better offenses in the country.

When talking about relying on one thing in an offense or defense, double standards are being used. Who's to say that if Cam Newton got injured and couldn't play, would we then say that Auburn's offense is overrated and relied too much on one thing? It's not bad to rely on an important piece of your gameplan (i.e. pace, running game, passing game, certain player, etc). Was OSU's offense overrated because James got hurt and their passing game suffered? I wouldn't say that at all. When you lose an integral part of your scheme, it's going to have an affect on the outcome of the game or season.

Thoughts?
Pryor is not revered like Auburn's Cam Newton. He's not the equal of Dan Persa, Denard Robinson or Scott Tolzien, according to the all-conference voting. But as a starter at Ohio State, he's 30-4. He would like you to remember this.

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses -- any of them -- and I'd dominate," Pryor said, when asked about the attention afforded the likes of Newton, Robinson and Persa. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense. They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didn't even run the ball in a game. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a choice to throw, I would dominate college football."

Originally Posted by The Swoosh

TP2 running his mouth:

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses — any of them — and I'd dominate," Pryor said, when asked about the attention afforded the likes of Newton, Robinson and Persa. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense.

"They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didn't even run the ball in a game. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a choice to throw, I would dominate college football."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...0,1743636.story

pimp.gif

I'm not sure if Bo Pelini would even bolt for some reason.  He seems like he's gonna be a great fit in the Big 10.  I'm pretty sure Nebraska would match any offer The U presented him as well...

UConn coach Randy Edsall is one of three candidates who has discussed the Miami coaching vacancy with the Hurricanes athletic director, the Miami Herald reported today.

According to the report, Edsall talked to Miami AD Kirby Hocutt over the past two days when Hocutt was in New York. Edsall, though, was not in New York and did not meet with Hocutt face-to-face.

Hocutt also reportedly talked to Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville.

The paper reported that a Miami source also said the school plans to talk to Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who was granted permission by Nebraska to pursue the job.

Miami fired coach Randy Shannon following a 7-5 regular season.

Edsall's national profile is on the rise after the Huskies won a share of the Big East championship for the second time in four years and clinched their first BCS bowl bid. On Wednesday, Edsall was named Big East co-Coach of the Year along with Louisville's Charlie Strong.

The Huskies will face Oklahoma Jan. 1 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

That is better than anything that LSU freak dude has ever put together. Hilarious.

indifferent.gif

Freek is the best at the .gifs. His Charlie Weis ones always are killers. The Les Miles ones are also great. The Julio Jones picture might be the best. Stoops getting a blowy is so random on that picture.

Nebraska denies Bo Pelini report

Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's athletic director is denying a report that coach Bo Pelini is a candidate for Miami's coaching job.

Athletic director Tom Osborne told the Lincoln Journal Star that he has not given Pelini permission to speak to Miami about the job, and Pelini says he didn't seek permission to interview for another job. Pelini wouldn't otherwise comment publicly on the report.

Pelini's Cornhuskers (No. 18 BCS, No. 17 AP) are 10-3 heading into the Dec. 30 Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl game against Washington (6-6).

Miami fired Randy Shannon last month after a 7-5 season. The Miami Herald, citing a University of Miami source it did not identify, reported Thursday that school officials planned to talk to the third-year Nebraska coach.

Pelini and Nebraska football officials didn't immediately return messages left Thursday. A secretary for Osborne said he had told her to tell callers: "There's nothing to comment on."

Pelini gonna get canned like Coach Jags did...and he'd probably stroll right into the Miami job.

laugh.gif
My dude PP came straight from Mens Warehouse...
laugh.gif
...How did PP finish the season?  I didn't get to watch LSU too much the 2nd half & his buzz seemed to die down some after midseason.  I'm assuming his Godly return game stats came down but he was still his dominant self at corner...

Back
Top Bottom