Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Randy Shannon was pretty bad at offering players after UNC, but Al Golden is almost worse.

He's also offered the following players after we have either offered them late in the game or ramped up our recruiting efforts: Jack Tabb, Brandon Fulse, Marquise Wright, Sam Smiley, Ricardo Williams, Joshue Matias, Kaleb Johnson, Travis Hughes (after committing), Marquise Williams (after committing), and also Christian Russell (after committing).

I can understand targeting several players. I think most schools recruit probably 6 to 8 players for every commitment they get, but that timing with a lot of these kids is right after news comes out that we've spoke with them or picked up the intensity of our recruitment of them. I think he's got an Inside Carolina premium account.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RunsHouse23

insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors/_/date/20110125#6276

can anybody post this? thanks!
[h3]Too many RBs for Pitt?[/h3]
10:13AM ET

[h5]Pittsburgh Panthers[/h5]

Since being hired as the Panthers head coach, Todd Graham has received verbal commitments from three running backs. The most recent is Pitt's highest-rated recruit, Malcolm Crockett, a three-star D.C. product who decommitted from Cincinnati.

Thing is Pitt already had three-star Jeremiah Bryson (Smyrna, Tenn.) on board, so now four of Graham's 10 verbals are rushers. We know Graham's system allows for a multitude of backs to take snaps, but do you really need four?

It's easy to see that both three-star Isaac Bennett (Tulsa, Okla.) and two-star Corey Davis (Gladewater, Texas) were prospects Graham had his eye on when he was still at Tulsa. Don't be surprised if Bryson, who committed to Dave Wannstedt, looks elsewhere (UNC or Maryland?) on signing day.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Vols, Dawgs for top OT[/h3]
10:12AM ET

[h5]2011 OT Antonio Richardson[/h5]

UDATE: Looks like the Vols now have plenty of competition for Antonio Richardson. The four-star Tennessee lineman visited Athens over the weekend and said five-star defensive end Ray Drew (Thomasville, Ga.) was recruiting him hard...and he wasn't even there. (Courtesy of Mr. SEC.)

Drew was on an official to Clemson, but many reports say he has already made his decision and is pushing prospects to follow him. Richardson will visit USC this weekend and announce on Feb. 2. Drew will likely announce Friday between the Tigers, Bulldogs, Miami, Auburn and LSU.

Four-star OT Antonio Richardson of Tennessee (No. 105 in the ESPNU 150), the state's top prospect, has been a priority target for coach Derek Dooley since he arrived in Knoxville. And with national signing day less than two weeks away, it still looks as if the Volunteers are the team to beat for Richardson's services.

Richardson only began taking officials last weekend, and Tennessee was his first destination. Previously scheduled to visit Miami this weekend, he will now head to either Georgia or LSU, with a third official TBD coming up next weekend. He still plans to announce on Feb. 2, so he won't have time for any more visits.

The fact that Tennessee got a visit and was the first place Richardson wanted to see certainly bodes well for the Vols, who envision him lining up alongside rising sophomores LG JerQuan Schofield, C James Stone and RT Ja'Wuan James for at least the next two seasons.

- Albert Lin

http://[h3]Shannon deal nearing[/h3]
9:56AM ET

[h5]UCLA Bruins[/h5]

Word is that former Miami head coch Randy Shannon has agreed to become the new defensive coordinator at UCLA after talking with Rick Neuheisel on Sunday.

Now this is far from official but BruinReportOnline cites a "reliable" source close to a UCLA recruit. The recruit said that an assistant called him Monday night to say a deal is done but that a contract just needs to be signed.

Other recruits have reportedly heard the same. It would make sense considering the Burins need to land a few more than the nine prospects currently on their board, especially with just two three-star defenders for 2011. The move could bring five-star linebacker Tony Steward (St. Augustine, Fla.) and four-star defensive tackle Christian Heyward (San Diego, Calif.) back into play.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Staff holes jeopardizing top recruit?[/h3]
9:44AM ET

[h5]Oklahoma State Cowboys[/h5]

UPDATE: Hopefully four-star running back Herschel Sims like his new coach. Former Southern Miss assistant Kasey Dunn was hired by the Cowboys on Monday to oversee their RBs.

As for a new offensive coordinator, the jury is still out and that's not a good thing with signing day just one week away. It's thought that Sims will come to Stillwater (see below) but the same can't be said for recruits like three-star athlete Desmond Roland of Dallas, who has been an Oklahoma State commit since July but visited Arkansas over the weekend.

Although he maintained his commitment to Oklahoma State after both offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen and RB coach Robert Gillespie left for West Virginia, four-star RB Herschel Sims of Texas (No. 124 in the ESPNU 150) did say, "I want to still get he feel of who (will succeed Gillespie). I hope that they bring somebody in quick because signing day is (Feb. 2). I don't want them to bring somebody in a week or two before signing day, and me not like them and I end up changing."

Well, we're now 11 days before signing day and Mike Gundy still has not hired an OC or a RB coach. Sims is expected on campus this weekend -- oddly, he's the only recruit scheduled to visit -- and Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World says that "Gundy himself had better turn on the charm."

Not only is Sims the Cowboys' top commitment for the class of 2011, but also they have only two proven RBs on the roster in rising sophomores Joseph Randle and Jeremy Smith. So Sims' presence is important for perception and for reality.

FWIW, Haisten tweets that, based on what he continues to hear, he still expects Sims to sign with the Pokes on Feb. 2.

- Albert Lin

http://[h3]Trojans losing both Grimbles?[/h3]
9:18AM ET

[h5]USC Trojans[/h5]

USC will likely end the 2011 recruiting season with a top-five class, but no coach ever wants to lose at anything, especially on signing a four-star defensive end like Jalen Grimble.

But four-star Miami commit Anthony Chickillo tells the Miami Herald he's certain the Hurricanes have a good shot at the Las Vegas prep. Grimble made a surprise visit to Coral Gables along with Chickillo over the weekend and Grimble's high school coach tells the Herald that Grimble's situation with USC "has changed."

The real news here though is that Grimble's cousin, Xavier, was the No. 1 tight end recruit in the country last season and picked the Trojans. Now there are rumors Xavier might even follow Jalen to Coral Gables after not catching a pass for Lane Kiffin in 2010. Pure speculation but current UM recruiting coordinator Brennan Carroll was the one who got Xavier to L.A. before being let go by Kiffin.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Huskies trying to sway RB, S[/h3]
9:03AM ET

[h5]Washington Huskies[/h5]

As the clock ticks down toward Signing Day, it's always interesting to see the players who make last-minute switches, sometimes picking rival over rival.

That may be the case for three-star running back Bishop Sankey (Spokane, Wash.) who has been a Washington State commit for more than a year but took an official to the Huskies over the weekend. He would be the one and only RB on the board for Steve Sarkisian in 2011, but Sankey is the Cougars highest-rated commit.

Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times also reports that three-star safety Travis Feeney (Pinole, Calif.) picked up an offer from U-Dub on his visit over the weekend. It appears Feeney had only been offered by Arizona and that's where he was headed until Washington came into the mix.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Hoke working hard[/h3]
8:48AM ET

[h5]Michigan Wolverines[/h5]

High three-star corner back Stefan McClure has been an almost sure bet to stay somewhere on the Left Coast. But new Michigan man Brady Hoke is doing his best to change that.

McClure of Vista, Calif., visited Ann Arbor over the weekend and Hoke followed him back on Monday for an in-home visit according to the Detroit Free Press. That would make three top recruits at the position if the Wolverines can lure McClure from the likes of UCLA and Cal.

Meanwhile closer to home, ESPN.com's Bill Kurelic reports that Hoke has a good chance of landing three-star linebacker Frank Clark out of Cleveland's Glenville High and three-star offensive guard Chris Bryant out of Chicago.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]'Canes QB situation [/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Miami (FL) Hurricanes[/h5]

UPDATE: Al Golden wants a quarterback and he'd like nothing more than for three-star, in-state product Jacoby Brissett to decide for the Hurricanes over the weekend.

Brissett's coach at Dwyer High told the Miami Herald that his star QB will likely take his last official to Coral Gables this weekend and then decide between Miami, Wisconsin and Florida.

"To me, it seems like Jacoby's the No. 1 player they target," he told the Palm Beach Post.

As for other options, three-star QB Jake Rudock of Weston, Fla., has long been an Iowa commit and will likely stay that way. Wake Forest commit Kevin Sousa will be seeing coaches from WF, UM and USF this week and should have a decision on Saturday. And don't forget the Tom Savage situation.

It may be a simple "wait and see who commits first" scenario.

Good news for Al Golden. Four-star defensive end Anthony Chickillo of Tampa is firm in his commitment to the Hurricanes.

After some speculation that he'd switch and become a Gator, the No. 5 overall DE told the Miami Herald that U-M fans shouldn't be worried.

But there's still plenty of work to be done. Like landing three-star defensive tackle Elkino Watson of Miami, who made a surprise visit to Coral Gables along with Chickillo. Golden doesn't have a DT on his board and Watson was long thought to be out of reach for his hometown team.

We told you earlier about the Hurricanes trying hard to get Rutgers transfer quarterback Tom Savage to talk, but three-star QB Jacoby Brissett (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Wake Forest three-star Kevin Sousa (Orlando) remain on the radar.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Ducks in SEC country[/h3]
8:17AM ET

[h5]Oregon Ducks[/h5]

Big get over the weekend when Miami, Fla., four-star receiver and ESPNU 150 product Tacoi Sumler picked Oregon.

Sumler joins four-star quarterback Jerrard Randall (Hollywood, Fla.) as not only a fellow ESPNU 150 recruit but also proof of Chip Kelly's growing footprint in the Southeast.

That may become more evident on Wednesday when three-star defensive end Roderick Byers announces for the Ducks. Nothing is official, but Phil Kornblut of Palmetto Sports reports that the Rock Hill, S.C., recruit is a strong lean to Oregon, where he tripped over the weekend. Many thought the Gamecocks could keep him in state but Steve Spurrier's class is getting rather crowded at 30 commits.

Kelly had just four prospects sign out of SEC country in the last two classes.

- LaRue Cook

http://[h3]Vols don't see two, land Lane[/h3]
8:04AM ET

[h5]Tennessee Volunteers[/h5]

Derek Dooley picked up his fourth ESPNU 150 prospect in former Clemson commit running back Marlin Lane on Monday. It was a position the Vols desperately needed to fill after the departure of back-up David Oku.

Lane, a four-star recruit out of Daytona Beach, Fla., had said he would remain a Tiger but wanted to take all five of his official visits. Instead, Dabo Swinney pulled his offer and now Lane will be joining the SEC.

Unfortunately for UT, four-star linebacker Kent Turene (Sunrise, Fla.) never made it to Knoxville over the weekend. He was going to visit after a trip to Georgia, but tells ESPN.com's Jamie Newberg he'll trip to Texas Tech. Turene remains committed to USC.

Also, four-star RB Javorius Allen (Tallahassee, Fla.) never got the chance to see Dooley, although in light of Lane's verbal that's not such a bad thing. Allen tells ESPN.com's Corey Long that he didn't hear back from the Vols, so he'll make two more visits this week to Florida State and Alabama, where he's long thought to be a lean.

- LaRue Cook

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

There's goes Richardson shot at a Title...Xzavier Ward committed
5461683f29cc3f83980c25494b2708291570b6df.gif

speaking of Drew...
5-star DE Ray Drew on Xzavier Ward's commitment to UGA: "I'm looking forward to going against him one Saturday."
and via fb

http://www.facebook.com/ray.drew#
[h6]
Ray Drew
There will be a huge surprise on Friday........no auburn, no Georgia, no lsu......time to shock the world baby

[/h6]

laugh.gif

roll.gif

He is so transaparent. Just trying to drum up hype for his announcement. He will be a Dawg

Unless.....

Spoiler [+]
nerd.gif

I'd be shocked if Brissett didn't pick Wisky.

annon was pretty bad at offering players after UNC, but Al Golden is almost worse.

He's also offered the following players after we have either offered them late in the game or ramped up our recruiting efforts: Jack Tabb, Brandon Fulse, Marquise Wright, Sam Smiley, Ricardo Williams, Joshue Matias, Kaleb Johnson, Travis Hughes (after committing), Marquise Williams (after committing), and also Christian Russell (after committing).

I can understand targeting several players. I think most schools recruit probably 6 to 8 players for every commitment they get, but that timing with a lot of these kids is right after news comes out that we've spoke with them or picked up the intensity of our recruitment of them. I think he's got an Inside Carolina premium account.

He's been recruiting players a month when others have been recruiting at least a whole year....what you expect? You gotta take every shot you can.

This is no different than 2 years ago when Kiffin was hired and started going after everybody. .

And I'm pretty sure Golden offered Rico Williams before Butch. Fulse, Rico, Johnson, Williams have all said they grew up Canes fans...why wouldn't he go after them?
eyes.gif

Floyd Raven apparently already backed off his commit to A&M and wants to visit Michigan this weekend and will announce on Signing Day.

[h1]Major UConn donor unhappy with AD, Wants Donation Back
[/h1]

A major donor of the University of Connecticut wants a $3 million gift to the football program returned and his name taken down off the team's on-campus facility over his dissatisfaction with athletic director Jeff Hathaway.

Robert G. Burton, the chairman and CEO of Greenwich-based Burton Capital Management, LLC, has given more than $7 million to the football program, including a $2.5 million "lead gift" for the Burton Family Football Complex and additional funds to equip the building, according to The Day of New London, which first reported the development.

Burton informed Hathaway of his wishes in a letter dated Jan. 19, a copy of which was obtained by The Day.

"The primary reason [former UConn coach] Randy [Edsall] took another job is because he couldn't work with you," Burton wrote to Hathaway, according to The Day. "You are not qualified to be a Division I AD and I would have fired you a long time ago. You do not have the skills to manage and cultivate new donors."

Members of the school's board of trustees as well as the university president have reached out to Burton in the hopes of repairing the relationship, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Connecticut has a signed donor agreement with Burton. That and the fact that his name has been on a building for five seasons make it very unlikely a check for $2.5 million, the amount given for the building naming right, would simply be refunded, the source told Schad.

Edsall, who guided the program's transition from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Big East, abruptly left Connecticut for Maryland after leading the Huskies to the program's first-ever BCS bowl.

In the letter, Burton said he had asked to be "kept in the loop" on the hiring process for Edsall's replacement, saying he wanted to "provide insight" about potential candidates, according to The Day. He said he didn't hear back from Hathaway until Jan. 13, by which point UConn had hired former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni -- a decision Burton did not support.

Burton's son Joe played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse from 1997 through 2001. There was a conflict between Bob Burton and Pasqualoni when his son played there, a source briefed on their relationship told Schad.

Another of Burton's sons, Michael, played for Edsall at UConn in 1999.

"I was not looking for veto power," Burton said in the letter, according to The Day. "Your lack of response on either of these requests tells me that you do not respect my point of view or value my opinion."

Burton sent another letter to Connecticut prior to the letter in The Day's report, the source told Schad. The second letter was sent right after Connecticut returned from the Fiesta Bowl and stated that former Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio, who had been named Temple coach, should be the choice as UConn's next coach. But Connecticut didn't seriously consider Addazio because he had just been hired by Temple. In a written response, UConn's athletic department disputed Burton's version of events, saying Hathaway "did receive and acknowledge Mr. Burton's advice from the beginning of the search" and advised Burton of its choice, according to The Day.

"Many people, including Mr. Burton, shared their ideas about potential candidates with us," the response said, according to the report.

"In the end, the decision was appropriately made by the university in the best interests of UConn and our football program. The Burton family has been exceptionally supportive of the University of Connecticut for many years. The University is grateful to the family, especially for the benefits they have provided to many of our students," the university said.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Rumors are Jalen Grimble to UCLA. SC tried to flip him to o-line, which I think he's better suited at, but I guess he wants to stay on d-line at next level.
It all depends on his visit this weekend IMO.  I think it's either USC or UCLA.

I don't buy the Xavier rumors though, and he would definitely benefit to switching to OT.  I know it is not as glorious as a TE, but there is more money at the next level as an OT than a TE.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Randy Shannon was pretty bad at offering players after UNC, but Al Golden is almost worse.

laugh.gif
Yea Al Golden is getting on my last nerve with this, even though it's not his fault since he got a late start. He offered Grooms (who committed to Miami), Dominique Terrell, Robert Lockhart (whose only other offers were Robert Morris and those types of schools before we offered), and James Farrow from Minnesota several months after he committed to us.
laugh.gif

I understand what y'all are saying, but kids like Fulse, Ricardo Williams, Watson, Grooms, Marquise Williams, Matias (Esp being that his coach is a Cane) should have had UM offers anyways, and had Randy been doing his due diligence, would've had offers a while ago. Don't think it has anything to do w/ UNC/VT being on them.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

some @%%$ goin aroung about Byron Moore not being able to get in to Miami. not sure how true
Wouldn't surprise me.  Doesn't have a good track record academically.  Flunked out of SC.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I understand what y'all are saying, but kids like Fulse, Ricardo Williams, Watson, Grooms, Marquise Williams, Matias (Esp being that his coach is a Cane) should have had UM offers anyways, and had Randy been doing his due diligence, would've had offers a while ago. Don't think it has anything to do w/ UNC/VT being on them.
this.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

some @%%$ goin aroung about Byron Moore not being able to get in to Miami. not sure how true
Wouldn't surprise me.  Doesn't have a good track record academically.  Flunked out of SC.

The issue is his juco classes not transferring to Miami I believe. Not his grades.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Tate Forcier is considering FAMU. Dude would be a legend out there on and off the field.

The only way people at FAMU would care about Tate Forcier is if he made Drum Major.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I wish that still had Randy.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom