Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

While on his OV this weekend Stephone Anthony said he was down to Clemson and UNC. I think he is still a heavy Clemson lean...

Can someone with ESPN Insider access post this link please: http://insider.espn.go.co...ame=nfl_draft&id=6076604

After spending the last two weeks evaluating players at the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl, it's time to head to San Antonio to take in a couple of days of practice for the Texas vs. Nation game.

The Texas-Nation game is improving every year in terms of overall talent level and it's closing the gap on the Shrine Game, so I'm interested to see how the overall group in San Antonio shapes up. Here are five players in particular I'll be keeping an eye on.

http:///sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=6076654&story=6076604">http://sports.espn.go.com...076654&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="#">[+] Enlarge
ncf_i_tjyates1_200.jpg

Tim Steadman/Icon SMIIntangibles and improved accuracy make T.J. Yates an intriguing prospect.

North Carolina QB T.J. Yates (Scouts Inc. grade: 33)
Yates struggled early in his career and fans were calling for him to be replaced heading into this season, but Yates showed the maturity, leadership and improvement you'd expect from a senior and has helped his stock in the process. He made much better decisions this season and was much more accurate in the intermediate and deep areas of the field. Yates has also shown sneaky mobility and improved pocket presence and awareness for the rush.

I saw him in person in the season-opener against LSU and was impressed by the leadership ability and the way he helped hold his team together in the face of multiple suspensions and distractions that could have been totally overwhelming. This week I'll be watching Yates' accuracy, whether he can get the ball out on time and into tight windows. However, given the way he led his team and the improvements in his game, Yates has already gone from completely off the radar to a late-round possibility, and he could certainly increase his chances of getting a shot in the NFL with a good week in Texas.

Hampton NT Kenrick Ellis (68)
Ellis has a very good build for a 6-foot-44, 336-pounder. He has a very powerful upper body and active, heavy hands to shock and shed blockers. He can win one-on-one matchups and also hold up against double teams, and he is a powerful bull-rusher who plays hard.

However, he plays with a narrow base at times and can be knocked off the ball when he does, and Ellis comes with some character concerns after beginning his career at South Carolina, then being suspended and eventually dismissed from the team. He's on the fringe of the third round right now but could improve his stock with strong performances both in workouts and in the interview room.

Ole Miss DT Jerrell Powe (65)
I like Powe's upper-body strength and he has a decent anchor against the double team, and even at 6-2, 320 pounds, he flashes the ability to make plays outside the tackle box. You'd like to see a little more initial quickness, though, and his lack of balance means he is on the ground too often for a player his size. Powe's in the middle of the fourth round right now and this week I'm looking for him to be more active and play with a better base and balance.

Florida Atlantic TE Robert Housler (49)
I've studied Housler's tape and I'm interested to see how the 6-5, 236-pounder looks in person. He's undersized and doesn't offer much as a blocker, but Housler has exceptional burst off the ball and can stretch the seams in the passing game. He has the body control to make tough catches outside his frame and can produce after the catch, and his natural speed and athleticism could make him a good pass-catching tight end in the NFL.

In a weak overall tight end class, Housler could improve his fifth-round grade with a strong week in San Antonio, and I'm especially interested to see how he carries his weight and whether he can add some bulk to help improve his blocking.

Tennessee WR Denarius Moore (42)
Moore has more-than-adequate speed and route-running skills, and he shows good body control and natural hands. However, this week I'll be watching how well he can get down the field and adjust to the ball. Moore builds speed rather than exploding off the line and I want to see how he tempos his routes and whether he has the suddenness to create separation. He's a fringe fifth-rounder as it stands now.

Originally Posted by dreClark

FSU and UGA land their 2012 Kickers today.

Roberto Aguyao to FSU and Marshall Morgan to UGA.

Aguyao is more highly regarded @ the moment and Morgan will be there by the end of the season, IMO.

this is a joke right? posting about 2012 kickers? come on now #%%+%
laugh.gif

if thomas goes to oregon i dont see how Lache stays.

if thomas goes to oregon i dont see how Lache stays.
That's what I'm thinking. 

It really makes no sense to go to Oregon to play RB, he's not seeing the field in 2011 because Barner and James are getting all the carries.

SC didn't fake the funk, they want him as a DB, that's how Oregon made some ground.

True on all points gentlemen.

Lache did not see the field as he redshirted. He was pretty raw in terms of fitting in to the spread option at Oregon and wasn't quite up to par with what Chip wants. Oregon is LOADED at the RB though. Here's what they've got so far (including commits):

1. LaMichael James (RJr)
2. Kenjon Barner (RJr)
3. Dontae Williams (RFr)
4. Lache Seastrunk (RFr)
5. Tra Carson (commit)

You through De'Anthony Thomas in there and somebody else is moving out. My guess that would be Lache. The thing with Oregon is they try to put the best athletes on the field, usually regardless of position. I think we saw a preview of Oregon's 2011 offense in the NCG against Auburn. We saw a lot of two and three back stuff with James, Barner, and Huff, all moving around, lining up in different formations to get them on the field at the same time, giving DT lots of speed to work with. My guess is next year with a somewhat young WR corps, you'll see more of that double/triple back stuff.

Of course let's be real, do we really know what CLK and Chip are selling to him? My guess is no. My opinion from watching De'Anthony's film is that he could play a number of different positions, something that works well in Oregon's offense. Josh Huff was our TZR last year and moved all around the field, from kick-off returner, to RB, to WR. It'll be interesting to see how Chip uses all the talent he's got, not only in the backfield, but with the new WR's (Sumler, Blackmon, Vaughn, etc.) he's got coming in. To say nothing of those we haven't seen like Keanon Lowe (RFr) and Eric Dungy (RFr), who is said to have some of the best hands on the team. Colt Lyerla is rumored to possibly play TE as well. There's a lot of offensive firepower that could be available, as there wasn't a lot already.

pimp.gif

It's looking good in Eugene. I'm excited to see what happens on Feb. 2nd
pimp.gif

Oops, I put "through" instead of "threw". I'd edit, but my web here at work doesn't let me.

Well, hopefully we can get Delvon Simmons, Christian Heyward, or both at DT. Ricky Heimuli should start next year, as should Jared Ebert. The linebacking corps should still be solid with Michael Clay, Jash Kaddu, and either DeWitt Stuckey or Kiko Alonso. The secondary still looks good with John Boyett, Eddie Pleasant, and Clifford Harris. The opposite corner will most likely be Anthony Gildon, but we've got a lot of talent in the wings.

Other names to look out for: Dion Jordan (DE), Erick Dargan (FS), Boseko Lokombo (MLB), Dior Mathis (CB), possibly Colt Lyerla (LB) especially considering Curtis White is a TE. There's also a some good talent with the commits so far: Anthony Wallace (MLB), Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (CB), Tyson Coleman (S).

If we can land either (or both) of those DT's, we should have a really good foundation for some pretty good D's

Really intrigued to see how Dior Mathis comes along at Oregon.

I do not approve of Curtis Grant going to the Browneyes. Next in line to be a beast at the MIKE for them. They just plug guys into that spot every year. Oh well.

Dade City (Fla.) Pasco safety Jamie Byrd was all set for Boise State, but that was before a new school emerged. After listening to the pitch from a national power, Byrd opted to take a visit and made a last minute switch.

"I did visit TCU this weekend," Byrd said. "I am decommitted from there (Boise State). I am planning to sign with TCU on Wednesday."

The 6-foot, 180-pound safety informed Chris Petersen and his staff of his change of heart.

"I text them and told them I am planning to go to TCU," Byrd said. "I told them I appreciated all the time they spent recruiting me, but I found something closer to home and me and my family decided I am going to go there."

Byrd, a three-star defensive back according to Rivals, was unsure about his Boise decision largely based on the distance from his Florida home to Idaho.

"I wasn't sure about Boise because it is so far, but then TCU came into the picture," Byrd said. "It was a two-hour plane ride to TCU and I took the visit, had a good time up there and it felt like home."

It doesn't hurt that the Horned Frogs are coming off a great season and primed to compete among the nation's best teams next season.

"They play good football," Byrd said. "That made it even better."

Byrd expects to begin his career at the strong safety position.

Delvon Simmons is wavering like Thomas and Heyward is either USC or SDSU from what I hear.

Yes, Oregon puts the best athletes on the field, welcome to what SC has been doing since Pete Carroll got here.  Unfortunately, Thomas wants to play in the next level, and that is not going to help him if Oregon decides to play him at WR in their spread offense.  Which one could assume that Chip Kelly is selling him on being a RB at Oregon.  Thomas is really talented, but I don't care how talented he is, he will not unseat a Heisman finalist (James) and I doubt he takes carries away from Barner.

CLK and Co. have been selling him about being a DB, that is his ticket at the next level, especially with his size and skills.

Mamba is making terrible decision trying to be a RB at next level. He no doubt has the skills but his frame can't take the grind. Dude has been knocked out of pivotal games over and over. He needs to wise up and understand that his future is at CB.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Mamba is making terrible decision trying to be a RB at next level.

He'll end up at CB where he should. But Orgeon told him what he wanted to hear. Therefore he'll go there. It's sad but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom