GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

aight... i'm at a conundrum...

got the call from a small business. i put in for an unpaid internship with them...

we're basically going to develop a business plan and budget for a facility that's going up in the near future...

i also got the call from a bank for a part time teller position.. paid...

i'm wondering which will provide more exp and will look better on a resume when i go apply for some of the MAJOR internships and positions...

:nerd: :nerd:

aight... i'm at a conundrum...

got the call from a small business. i put in for an unpaid internship with them...

we're basically going to develop a business plan and budget for a facility that's going up in the near future...

i also got the call from a bank for a part time teller position.. paid...

i'm wondering which will provide more exp and will look better on a resume when i go apply for some of the MAJOR internships and positions...

:nerd: :nerd:

Small Business. Especially when you put your duties/responsibilities. If you are entrusted with important tasks, and get a good recommendation from that small business.. You're good.

Bank Teller probably wouldn't get you far.

Last edited:
I havent talked to my old college professors since May 11, what do yu guys recommend me doing to keep in touch so its not out the blue when I ask for MBA recommendations?

Have my BA for a little over a year and haven't gotten serious about grad school but I definitely need to go back as far as career mobility. Thinking about going for MPA or Law School.. anyone here get their MPA?
I was thinking about going for MPA before deciding on nursing school, but my brother (Dr) told me his friend is not doing anything with his MPA. I guess it depends how you use your degree.

I am gonna go for MSN/MBA (dual degree) after working as an RN for 3-5 years, because this is the only way to move up in healthcare administration in the nursing unit.

I havent talked to my old college professors since May 11, what do yu guys recommend me doing to keep in touch so its not out the blue when I ask for MBA recommendations?

Email or call them to set up a meeting. Then go meet with them face to face, and simply ask them for a recommendation.

Tell them what you're doing, why you're doing it, what your plans/goals are. If you show them you are putting in the initiative, and you really thought about it they should give you a recommendation letter.

That's if they know you. If it was like a lecture class of 200, and you never talked one-on-one, or there were no class discussions, you need someone else.

But if they do know you, and don't write one, despite you putting in work. Then they are just a douchebag, and don't write letters for anyone unless you kiss their ***.

Last edited:
Small Business. Especially when you put your duties/responsibilities. If you are entrusted with important tasks, and get a good recommendation from that small business.. You're good.
that's what i was thinking, brah...

this would help out when trying to get a business analyst or financial analyst job... i'd play it up big time on the resume... prolly take Footlocker off... :lol:

its not eem paid, though... i'm living off this att job though... but i was really wanting something that would pay...

my career guy told me about $20 / hr interns.. but them muh fuggas aint biting like he said.

aye ricky what should i go in after high school? ....i don't really care as long as i go to college, but whats a good major. what are you taking?
hate to give you a stereotypical answer, but whatever you want brah...

you're prolly going to change it too... just make sure you change it in the first two years... not the last two...

also, if you have the chance, go to a junior college or community college first... get a stupid high gpa and relatively low if any amount of debt...

when i first came out, i wanted to go into health related sales (pharmaceuticals, hospital management, yadda yadda)

what interests you?

Super early for me to be in here, but 4.0 my first semester at school :smokin. Dunno if ND is where I'd go for grad school, but I got plenty of time to decide for that haha.

this would help out when trying to get a business analyst or financial analyst job... i'd play it up big time on the resume... prolly take Footlocker off... :lol:

its not eem paid, though... i'm living off this att job though... but i was really wanting something that would pay...

my career guy told me about $20 / hr interns.. but them muh fuggas aint biting like he said.

Honestly your part time/retail work experience always means jack ****, unless you are applying for another part time/retail job.

They say they look at it but 4 Year Colleges don't look at it, Grad Schools don't look at it. Unless it pertains directly, it doesn't mean anything. Just means "Oh you had a job." Other than that the part time work experience doesn't separate you as much as your high school counselors tell you it does.

All I got is my school credentials of High School, College & Grad School. And part time work currently.

Now that I have experience working with students for elementary English Second Language. And I'm starting tomorrow coaching 7th-8th Grade Basketball, with my student teaching starting end of the month. All that part time means nothing, and will get the boot.

But what you said is the dilemma everyone faces. On one hand internships > almost anything on a resume (except for paid experience in the same type of job). But it is basically peasant labor. You don't get paid anything, and you do all the work of a 40 hour worker who makes $30K+.

That's why I never did internships and went part time work (although if I did marketing internships, it'd be useless for my education master's).

If you truly can't get by while on the internship, go with the teller job.

But if you can get by whether taking a loan, or working somewhere else on the side for a lil scrap. Do the internship.

And who knows if you do well, you may get a job offer off the bat. I had a friend who was interning for some internet company in NYC. Mind you we were in Albany, so he'd have to go back and forth a couple times a week. He got an offer to quit school, and make $80K. He declined, and finished up his last year. Don't know if he ended up taking the job because we stopped talking when he graduated, and I added an extra year of undergrad.

Last edited:
this would help out when trying to get a business analyst or financial analyst job... i'd play it up big time on the resume... prolly take Footlocker off...
laugh.gif

hate to give you a stereotypical answer, but whatever you want brah...
you're prolly going to change it too... just make sure you change it in the first two years... not the last two...
also, if you have the chance, go to a junior college or community college first... get a stupid high gpa and relatively low if any amount of debt...
when i first came out, i wanted to go into health related sales (pharmaceuticals, hospital management, yadda yadda)
what interests you?
Money , not like i want alot of money, but like finiance and stuff, i wanna be one of those guys in those buisness suits. got some suggestions?

^@ Essential1 Retail work wouldn't always be useless. My interviewer at GS actually worked at same place when he was younger so we spent some time talking about the retail workplace policies and the ridiculous customers and what not.

Last edited:
^Retail work wouldn't always be useless. My interviewer at GS actually worked at same place when he was younger so we spent some time talking about the retail workplace policies and the ridiculous customers and what not.

It has it's times where it works in your favor, don't get me wrong.

But for the most part, it is very expendable.

A grad school really doesn't care if you work at KMart in high school or college. Or Foot Locker.

Email or call them to set up a meeting. Then go meet with them face to face, and simply ask them for a recommendation.
Tell them what you're doing, why you're doing it, what your plans/goals are. If you show them you are putting in the initiative, and you really thought about it they should give you a recommendation letter.
That's if they know you. If it was like a lecture class of 200, and you never talked one-on-one, or there were no class discussions, you need someone else.
But if they do know you, and don't write one, despite you putting in work. Then they are just a douchebag, and don't write letters for anyone unless you kiss their ***.

I dont live in the same city I went to school at. You think with Email I should just be upfront and ask? Of course telling them what I`m currently doing and such. My next check I`m gonna go cop a GMAT book.

Aye RIcky that stuff you sent me in the email is that enough to study for GMAT by itself or you recommend that on top of a prep guide?

Honestly your part time/retail work experience always means jack ****, unless you are applying for another part time/retail job.
They say they look at it but 4 Year Colleges don't look at it, Grad Schools don't look at it. Unless it pertains directly, it doesn't mean anything. Just means "Oh you had a job." Other than that the part time work experience doesn't separate you as much as your high school counselors tell you it does.
All I got is my school credentials of High School, College & Grad School. And part time work currently.
Now that I have experience working with students for elementary English Second Language. And I'm starting tomorrow coaching 7th-8th Grade Basketball, with my student teaching starting end of the month. All that part time means nothing, and will get the boot.
But what you said is the dilemma everyone faces. On one hand internships > almost anything on a resume (except for paid experience in the same type of job). But it is basically peasant labor. You don't get paid anything, and you do all the work of a 40 hour worker who makes $30K+.
That's why I never did internships and went part time work (although if I did marketing internships, it'd be useless for my education master's).
If you truly can't get by while on the internship, go with the teller job.
But if you can get by whether taking a loan, or working somewhere else on the side for a lil scrap. Do the internship.
And who knows if you do well, you may get a job offer off the bat. I had a friend who was interning for some internet company in NYC. Mind you we were in Albany, so he'd have to go back and forth a couple times a week. He got an offer to quit school, and make $80K. He declined, and finished up his last year. Don't know if he ended up taking the job because we stopped talking when he graduated, and I added an extra year of undergrad.
see, the att gig i got is getting me by...

3k a month of selling phones and working 4 days a week is easy breezy...

i handle small and medium business accounts as well... so its a little more advanced than footlocker... i've doctored up a resume so its looking A1... (if yall want some pointers or me to post, lemme know)

but the $20 internships would be icing on the cake... plus, i'm in the business side of things... most times, those internships pay anyway...

but eff it... if i dont get it, then i just dont get it... i'm patiently waiting for this Wealth Management Internship for mbas at Wells fargo to start accepting apps... i might not get it cuz they want prior work exp (for an internship... :stoneface: )

its either that, or the finance internship w/ att...

Also best advice I have for anyone looking for a career.

Do not go into a field for what it can pay you, and whether you can get a job quick. Do it because you truly are interested in it, and want to be there day in and day out.

I have hated every part time job I have. I work hard for the first few months, and once I realize I won't get fired I do the bare minimum that won't get me fired. I dread having to come in to my PT jobs, and my days suck when I do, up until I leave. But my internship right now, I'm working for free. And every night I can't wait to wake up at 6 am, out the door at 7am, and work with kids all day. At times it is frustrating, but I don't see any circumstance where I don't look forward to waking up in the morning to go to work. (Only thing that could take me out of teaching is politicians watering the profession down so much that I cannot be creative.. Thanks to all this "fiscally sound" BS that people suddenly think they care about because someone told them to.)

I saw an old teacher at my part time job (he also works at the school I will do my student teaching at): We were talking about teaching and how I really enjoy my 100 hours of experience.

He looked at me and said "Best thing you can do with your life is find a job or a career that you love. Second best thing you can do is find someone stupid enough to pay you for it."

Last edited:
Money , not like i want alot of money, but like finiance and stuff, i wanna be one of those guys in those buisness suits. got some suggestions?
bachelor of science - finance...

insta job... insta paper... very marketable.
Not necessarily. A lot of Finance majors want to do IB but even if you have good grades (3.5+/3.3+ if you're like in HYPSM), go to a reputable school, and have internships, BBs won't be lining up to offer you a job. Even S&T, Equity Research, etc aren't that easy to get into.

UBS recently posted an internship on my school's career site looking for a junior with 3.5+ for an unpaid/for academic credit for wealth management, cmon son :lol:

God Willing if every thing goes as planned I will have 4yrs of Business Analyst Experience once I finish my Masters, on top of the 5 years of work experience I already had (even though some of it is PT work) so I should be be real strong when it comes to my next move wheter it be a promotion or moving elsewhere. Im 24 so I want to get my masters ASAP because everyone is getting em and I feel soon they will be the new Bachelors because a Bachelors is pretty much the new HS Diploma + 1 yr work experience.

Not necessarily. A lot of Finance majors want to do IB but even if you have good grades (3.5+/3.3+ if you're like in HYPSM), go to a reputable school, and have internships, BBs won't be lining up to offer you a job. Even S&T, Equity Research, etc aren't that easy to get into.
UBS recently posted an internship on my school's career site looking for a junior with 3.5+ for an unpaid/for academic credit for wealth management, cmon son :lol:

I was browsing around on our career sites, and few were BBs lmao. I guess that #1 business ranking didn't help too much... Guess Michigan, UVA, and HYPMS get dibs over most of us. We had a ton of big 4 and F500 company listings though. Whatever though, not too surprising that east coast schools get dibs on wall street

Last edited:

I was browsing around on our career sites, and few were BBs lmao. I guess that #1 business ranking didn't help too much... Guess Michigan, UVA, and HYPMS get dibs over most of us. We had a ton of big 4 and F500 company listings though. Whatever though, not too surprising that east coast schools get dibs on wall street

I really wouldn't put too much thought/weight into rankings. From what I've seen, for IB the BBs mainly get ppl from Wharton/HYPSM, Stern, and a few from Zicklin. Not saying you won't make it if you're anywhere else, but it will be harder. Stern/Zicklin are in NYC too so OCR would be easier for all the BBs.

As far as the Big 4 goes, I don;t think they hire freshmen and they don't take many sophomores. But as long as your school is AACSB accredited and you have a 3.5+ you should have a decent chance at a Big 4 for summer internship after junior year. I know someone that landed an internship at Pwc summer internship after her junior year and she didn't even have prior accounting experience.

Im at Syracuse University finishing up my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, ill be done Fall 13.

Got a Graduate Assistant position in the School of Education office @ Syracuse University and they are paying for me to get my masters which I will start Spring 14.

Pumped! :smokin

Im at Syracuse University finishing up my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, ill be done Fall 13.
Got a Graduate Assistant position in the School of Education office @ Syracuse University and they are paying for me to get my masters which I will start Spring 14.
Pumped! :smokin
how in da hell do people get all this stuff paid for?

just applied for 50 schollys... smh...

i want my school paid for, yo...

:smh: :smh:

Believe it or not...if you're a minority there are plenty of schools paying for dudes to get in. Depending on the program, and also how the field is. 

There are plenty of scholarships out there to tap into. 

Believe it or not...if you're a minority there are plenty of schools paying for dudes to get in. Depending on the program, and also how the field is. 

There are plenty of scholarships out there to tap into. 
masters in science finance at North texas...

i had a great semester, so i'm getting all the "we want you to be a tutor" and "here's some scholarships" emails...

but grad assistant sounds pretty dope, especially if they're gonna pay for it...

i think its less common in the business world b/c so many companies do tuition reimbursement for their employees pursuing an mba or masters related field...

Back
Top Bottom