GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

Applying for a BS/MS program for a Master of Science in Civil Engineering
smokin.gif

Man goodluck i know its going to be hard, but worth it.

i want to go to grad school so bad. i got my BS but my gpa was dumb low.

been tryin to get a job in a lab but they wont hire me been tryin for 3 year and i got ONE callback, they never ask about gpa, and i have prior experience been tryin to get in as a volunteer too but they wylin maybe they all on vacation. i can take grad courses that will make me look better but they are OD EXPENSIVE and im livin offa nickles....

feels Batman.........

the worst feelin is that by now i coulda had my phd.

i should be Dr. Guatemala by now

maybe i need to move to a bigger city with more opportunities cuz round here aint got many options. actually there are no options theres only one university here lol

Last edited:

been tryin to get a job in a lab but they wont hire me been tryin for 3 year and i got ONE callback, they never ask about gpa, and i have prior experience been tryin to get in as a volunteer too but they wylin maybe they all on vacation. i can take grad courses that will make me look better but they are OD EXPENSIVE and im livin offa nickles....

feels Batman.........

maybe i need to move to a bigger city with more opportunities cuz round here aint got many options. actually there are no options theres only one university here lol
whats your major?

i was in the same predicament (i'm ricky409, so the OP) has most the story...

but... my gpa was dumb low in undergrad... SOOO... i decided to get an MS from a lower tier, cheaper school... crush my gpa... then re up and start applying for top tier mba programs.

the school i'm at now is cheap... 3k for 6 hours per semester... totals out to 18k total for the entire program...

got 7k in total scholarships, so i'll only end up paying 11k over the course of two years, which isnt bad compared to other programs charging 11k for one semester...

money saved, brah... :pimp: :pimp:

feels Batman.........

can't you retake some classes? or like dude said go to a lower tier graduate school then apply to a higher tier

Last edited:
Taking a year off ti get experience before trying to go to grad school for my masters/doctorate in counseling psych. Still going to take the GRE though.

Anybody have experience in I/O Psych or Forensic Psych? Giving it some thought more and more these days.
One of my best friends is starting her I/O PhD next Fall at either Penn State, Portland State, or Bowling Green. Some programs don't take too many applicants at all. It pretty much depends on where you want to go. I know if you are interested in I/O, you better love statistics. You will be PAID once you finish as well. 

I just finished my undergrad
pimp.gif
 and am going to be applying to a child and adolescent counseling programs. A few don't even require taking GRE's which is awesome. If that's the route you want to go, depending on the school you may not even need to take them. 

Good luck!

Random, but why does EVERYONE in grad school (Non-professional school) seem to get all A's or at least a 3.5 and up each semester?  LOL.. Inflated grades, easy coursework? I mean, what's the deal?  To me, that waters down the worth of the degree.

Yep in grad school everyone gets A's. Like a poster above me mentioned it's more of a "professional" school (especially for MBA programs). Heck, some top MBA programs have grade non-disclosure policies which means that recruiters actually aren't allowed to ask you for your grades.
On the other hand, undergrad is all about weeding people out who can't handle the rigor or for some other reason, can't make the cut. That's why you have weeder courses especially in technical fields like engineering, especially so at the cramped big state schools.

One of my best friends is starting her I/O PhD next Fall at either Penn State, Portland State, or Bowling Green. Some programs don't take too many applicants at all. It pretty much depends on where you want to go. I know if you are interested in I/O, you better love statistics. You will be PAID once you finish as well. 

I just finished my undergrad:pimp:  and am going to be applying to a child and adolescent counseling programs. A few don't even require taking GRE's which is awesome. If that's the route you want to go, depending on the school you may not even need to take them. 

Good luck!

Thanks man, I don't really mind the statistics part to it, I don't think. If you don't mind, I might pm you to talk moreabout the program you're trying to get into, I did some work with children at my internship and I kind of dug it. I think I wasn't too take the GRE as a baseline to see where I can go.

Good luck to you too

All good information still coming out this thread. I am graduating in the summer and need to start apply to different grad school since im not sure if University of  Maryland will accecpt me with a low GPA and procrastinated not following up with the professors after my visit last summer. Someone posted a good GRE book they use to study with about a year ago. Could I get some good books to look into.

All good information still coming out this thread. I am graduating in the summer and need to start apply to different grad school since im not sure if University of  Maryland will accecpt me with a low GPA and procrastinated not following up with the professors after my visit last summer. Someone posted a good GRE book they use to study with about a year ago. Could I get some good books to look into.
 If I were you I would check out http://magoosh.com They have books and study plans for whatever your are trying to focus on. I am using it currently and am very happy with my studying routine.

If I were you I would check out http://magoosh.com They have books and study plans for whatever your are trying to focus on. I am using it currently and am very happy with my studying routine.
That Christmas Sale for the Premium from $299 to $99 6 month course going to look into this thanks bro! 
pimp.gif
. I will hit you up if I have any questions.

Anyone apply to any MSW programs? Also, when you guys applied did you send in 2 transcripts? One for the department and one for the school or just 1?
I have an MSW and when I applied I just sent my official transcripts

THanks. I have to send 2 copies of transcripts 1 for the school and 1 for the program. Should get them out next week, going to drop them off instead of mailing.

It is. What makes up for it are the GRE/GMAT scores, your work experience, and your letters of recommendation. Doing some sort of volunteering and training towards some sort of professional certifications will also help. So you better have been doing something with your time bettering yourself.

Exactly! Graduate school isn't like undergrad where they try to weed people out to find the people that are best suited for that major. The people that are in grad school already have an idea of what they want to accomplish and where they want to be. They aren't trying a new subject or taking pointless core courses that are unrelated to their major. In a MBA program we do have to take cores but they are all business related so it doesn't feel like a struggle. I don't have to take sociology or anthropology course which I have zero interest in and don't want to even be bothered with. But a marketing, ethics, or law class I can deal with since it is interrelated.

Anyway, I'm doing a part-time MBA at Baruch now and wrapping up my second semester. Finished with 23 credits so far. I'm on pace to graduate next May and have an internship lined up this summer at a top 10 accounting firm. One more final though on Monday.
happy.gif
I only ask because in Law School there is still a bell curve that exists.  The entire class is not going to get an A, period.  These are still top students with desires to practice law or some derivative of it, and most importantly pass the bar. This isn't a shot at masters programs or anything but it was really baffling seeing 6-7 facebook posts about ppl getting all As or damn near that during their last semester.  

All that 'they're grown so they work harder' is BS.  Let's give that a rest lol.

I only ask because in Law School there is still a bell curve that exists.  The entire class is not going to get an A, period.  These are still top students with desires to practice law or some derivative of it, and most importantly pass the bar. This isn't a shot at masters programs or anything but it was really baffling seeing 6-7 facebook posts about ppl getting all As or damn near that during their last semester.  

All that 'they're grown so they work harder' is BS.  Let's give that a rest lol.

There is still a relative bell curve from what I noticed in all my classes. However, my financial accounting class had no curve and no one got an A. It really depends on the subject matter. From what some of the classmates tell me the grades range from A-C. We had a few people fail stats. It's just part of grad school. If you fall below a B you're on probation so trust me when I say this, but people have motivation to do well. Daddy, isn't paying for your MBA, hopefully a firm you work for is reimbursing you. But if you're like me trying to do a complete career change then I pay everything out of pocket.

There is still a relative bell curve from what I noticed in all my classes. However, my financial accounting class had no curve and no one got an A. It really depends on the subject matter. From what some of the classmates tell me the grades range from A-C. We had a few people fail stats. It's just part of grad school. If you fall below a B you're on probation so trust me when I say this, but people have motivation to do well. Daddy, isn't paying for your MBA, hopefully a firm you work for is reimbursing you. But if you're like me trying to do a complete career change then I pay everything out of pocket.
what are you trying to do at the accounting firm? what were you doing before? i'm thinking about going back for my MS in Accounting to get into an Advisory Consultant role and was trying to see if anyone on NT have any knowledge on that process.

I'm not confident enough in applying for medical school right now. Thinking of possibly doing a Post-Bacc. to work on my prereqs and gain some experience or getting an MS in Public Health then applying to medical school. Anyone have any experience with these?

And also what about going abroad for grad. school, how does that look? I was looking at possibly doing Medical Humanity and Social Medicine, Public Health or Medical Law and Ethics but it would be in Korea and I have no idea what people would think :lol: And I would have to also check if med schools in the US would even accept it?

So much time and so much work, while it is worth it and I enjoy being in school, it sucks knowing my friend went straight to med school in Pakistan at age 18 and will be able to work in the US, while I'll be entering medical school around that time (hopefully)

what are you trying to do at the accounting firm? what were you doing before? i'm thinking about going back for my MS in Accounting to get into an Advisory Consultant role and was trying to see if anyone on NT have any knowledge on that process.

I was debating between consulting and taxation. I chose taxation due to the fact that I don't want to travel that much and I might end up opening my own office eventually. I have 2 internships lined up at national firms so I'm on the right track. It's highly competitive and it does help to know people that are friendly with recruiters. I go to Baruch so accounting is the school's specialty. Hence, it was a bit easier to get things rolling. However, one of the internships I got purely because my friend knows the head of HR.

I'm not confident enough in applying for medical school right now. Thinking of possibly doing a Post-Bacc. to work on my prereqs and gain some experience or getting an MS in Public Health then applying to medical school. Anyone have any experience with these?

And also what about going abroad for grad. school, how does that look? I was looking at possibly doing Medical Humanity and Social Medicine, Public Health or Medical Law and Ethics but it would be in Korea and I have no idea what people would think
laugh.gif
And I would have to also check if med schools in the US would even accept it?

So much time and so much work, while it is worth it and I enjoy being in school, it sucks knowing my friend went straight to med school in Pakistan at age 18 and will be able to work in the US, while I'll be entering medical school around that time (hopefully)
One of my best friends just got into med school at the University of illinois. We met in grad school where he got his masters in Public Health. I do a lot of work with Doctors and a lot of them have MPH degrees. It will make you a stronger candidate. I suggest you do it. MPH is a substantial amount of research but his course work always seemed very interesting. Also dont sweat at what age you enter the work force. Use this in between time to travel and try new things.  

Last edited:
One of my best friends just got into med school at the University of illinois. We met in grad school where he got his masters in Public Health. I do a lot of work with Doctors and a lot of them have MPH degrees. It will make you a stronger candidate. I suggest you do it. MPH is a substantial amount of research but his course work always seemed very interesting. Also dont sweat at what age you enter the work force. Use this in between time to travel and try new things.  
Yeah I think I might go for it, but I want to genuinely like it and not because I see it as a means to get to med. school. I'm a junior in my spring semester so I guess I should have started studying for my GRE/GMAT...like yesterday :lol: I really do love abroad and would like to study there and while whatever age I enter the workforce doesn't bother me, it bothers my parents :\ otherwise, I would be in this cycle of school/travel forever, but unfortunately I'm not that privileged. And at some point I have to pay back these student loans...

Yeah I think I might go for it, but I want to genuinely like it and not because I see it as a means to get to med. school. I'm a junior in my spring semester so I guess I should have started studying for my GRE/GMAT...like yesterday
laugh.gif
I really do love abroad and would like to study there and while whatever age I enter the workforce doesn't bother me, it bothers my parents
ohwell.gif
otherwise, I would be in this cycle of school/travel forever, but unfortunately I'm not that privileged. And at some point I have to pay back these student loans...
At least in my roomies program you have to do a summer internship. And many students went out of the country. I know people who went to haiti and bogata for the summer. I agree man loans suck but med school aint cheap. Unless you do the MD/PhD track. 

So what's up with my NT fam that applied to full time B schools for Fall 2014?

Interviews? Acceptance calls? Schollies?

I need to live vicariously through y'all until I apply later this year :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom