GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

Anyone in business/tech with thoughts on the value of a *top* MBA in this current job market and more importantly, the one in 5-10 years? What are the main considerations in weighing out whether to leave your current company/job vs. going to a top flight MBA (i.e. top 5-10) ? 

Anyone w/ friends or even better, anyone in a top program now?

I go to Yale, message me if you want info.

Great website. Thanks for the input.

What field are you pursuing a PhD in if you don't mind me asking.

For sure. I'm getting a PhD in marketing. Did undergrad in marketing, and worked in industry sales/marketing for 4 years before I started this past fall.

What opportunities does an MA/MS in Applied Economics open up (besides an economist)? In terms of job outlook and salary.

I've taken Intermediate Macro/Micro, Econometrics, etc. as electives for my BBA and I'm pretty good at it. It's pretty math heavy at my university as opposed to the theory-based stuff at some schools. Talked to my professors and they told me I should take one or two more Calculus courses to prepare, if I wanted to take that route.

I've also looked into Instructional/Educational Technology and/or Design programs, I have some interest in that.

Night and day. :lol:

Last edited:
Just got word I was accepted to the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy. 
smokin.gif
 Definitely a great weight lifted off of my shoulders as I await responses from fellowship applications and my George Washington application. 

Just got word I was accepted to the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy. 
smokin.gif
 Definitely a great weight lifted off of my shoulders as I await responses from fellowship applications and my George Washington application. 
Congrats bro!

I took a tour of University of Maryland Food Science last summer.   I need to summit my app before the end of the summer. There is another NTer who just started Grad school this past fall.

smokin.gif
Congrats bro!

I took a tour of University of Maryland Food Science last summer.   I need to summit my app before the end of the summer. There is another NTer who just started Grad school this past fall.
Thanks, man! Definitely excited. I was actually wondering if anyone else from NT attended. 

Just got word I was accepted to the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy. :smokin  Definitely a great weight lifted off of my shoulders as I await responses from fellowship applications and my George Washington application. 

Congrats man! Y'all share the same building as us business folks here.

[COLOR=#red]Here's what happened with me at Texas A&M. I was in the geosciences grad program so that I could become a petroleum geologist (the guys who find the oil) which has a starting salary north of $100k not including signing bonus...but the grad advisor for the petro geo concentration concentration had too many students so I had to go into geomorphology which isn't as lucrative of a field by a long shot. So I stopped the program not wanting to waste anymore money.

I'm looking at 3 choices now...going back to A&M if they have room in the Petro geo concentration! going to the University of Michigan (my dream school since H.S, and yes the Fab Five had something to do with that), or going to Columbia University for their Climate and Society program.

Pros for A&M is I already have credits there and have a 3.7 GPA and College Station is cheap to live. For Michigan it has a bigger more recognized program and I'll be able to do exactly what I wanted as far as Petro geology (which is basically sedimentology, seismology and stratigraphy all rolled up). And for Columbia even though Climate and Society is not my main concentration it's a competitive edge to have a grad degree from a certified Ivy League school no matter what I decide to do...plus it's only a 1 year program. Cons is I'd have to move to NYC and it's expensive. Columbia has been recruiting me for that program since I graduated in 07 so I'd probably get great funding. My undergrad cumulative GPA is a 3.91 and I have work experience with the EPA, and the Fed Govt.

To be honest I'm leaning towards being a Wolverine starting January.

[/COLOR]

^ Glad to know I'm not alone in stopping a program. Only thing is I did it twice...to two other programs :lol:

-First one was at Cal Poly Pomona, Educational Multimedia. I liked it but the program was built for teachers who wanted to add multimedia tools to their classrooms.

- Second one was CSU Fullerton, M.S, Higher Education. Always was ennamored with the program until I got in it. Got placed in a crappy Graduate Assistantship, didn't get along with the Program Director who also my boss, etc. Bounced after a semester.

Now that I work for LA's Metro, I'm going to try my hand at a Master's in Transportation Management from San Jose State or even Morgan State if I have to. I always had a passion for public transit as outlined here so it makes sense.

That being said, what are the best tools to prepare for the GMAT and/or GRE?

[COLOR=#red]^yeah bro...it happens more than you think. As long as you ultimately finish then it's no biggie. You're only a "quitter" if you never go back and even then you're not really quitting...so,Erika's the only way to know if something is for you is if you try it.[/COLOR]

EWD Im going to Michigan in the fall, holla at me NUPE

[COLOR=#red]Got your message Phi. Ok I see what program you're going to from your earlier posts. Real talk UM has always been my dream school...I even got deferred for their law program back in 07 right before I graduated but I didn't get accepted....GPA was great but LSAT score sucked.

Anyway I have a much better chance for the Earth Science grad program because it's directly related to my undergrad and I have top level work experience in the field.

Anyway my dude imagine Kappa and NT meeting up at the Maize and Blue!! Also Nupe another crazy six degrees of seperation...ole girl I met last weekend that works at the airport is from same city and area code you're from that's why when I saw your message at first I thought it was her. Guess that's a good sign my dude. I'll keep you posted.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]by the way congratulations getting accepted Fire. Sneakaprince got accepted to tOSU and I think he started already. Would be cool for us to all meet up at THE game at some point.[/COLOR]

Been waiting patiently for MBA decisions...currently have 4 possibilities in the Top 15-20 (have interviews lined up or have interviewed), and on the waitlist spot at my top choice school. The interviews overall have been great so far, been able to visit some of the top schools, hopefully there's a nice triumph sometime this month or next month. :D

Regarding the value of a full-time MBA, there are some prestige companies that recruit heavily at the Top 15-20 programs. I feel if you want your foot in the door at some highly prestigious jobs and/or companies (say, consulting at McKinsey), have the chance to be surrounded by talented and accomplished people and build your network, and expand your business and leadership skills, you can't beat a Top 15-20. There is no point quitting your job for school for an MBA unless you can get full value out of the experience, IMO. That's the reason why I decided to go all-out into pursuing a top b-school.

There are some elitist snobs who comment in Poets and Quants, who think you have to go to a Top 3 school (Harvard, Stanford, or Wharton), but I disagree with that completely. Any of the Top 15-20 will help you get to where you want to go. It's about finding the right schools for your own career goals, interests, and which school "fits" you the best. Shoot for the schools you'd be proud of attending, and make sure you do your research.

Last edited:
Definitely looking into top 20 MBA programs for the near future, although I'd prefer to stay in Cali. with that being said, my obvious list is: Stanford, Haas, Anderson, Marshall, and Merage (UCI alum)...

Now, I consider my resume (cost accounting) relatively weak for the top 3 so I'll have to figure out something and engage in some extracurriculars as I'm trying to get into finance or management consulting in the programs. Undergrad GPA 3.53 and my GMAT first try was 700, with a really weak quant score so I'll be retaking after I brush up on quant again...aiming for 750. I'm just worried based on Poets and Quants' calculating admission that I have nothing to stand out and get me into any of those top 3. Feel like I gotta start my own business first or something. I still have a couple years before I'm going to apply so I'll need to up my profile. Any tips?

Last edited:
Been waiting patiently for MBA decisions...currently have 4 possibilities in the Top 15-20 (have interviews lined up or have interviewed), and on the waitlist spot at my top choice school. The interviews overall have been great so far, been able to visit some of the top schools, hopefully there's a nice triumph sometime this month or next month. :D

Regarding the value of a full-time MBA, there are some prestige companies that recruit heavily at the Top 15-20 programs. I feel if you want your foot in the door at some highly prestigious jobs and/or companies (say, consulting at McKinsey), have the chance to be surrounded by talented and accomplished people and build your network, and expand your business and leadership skills, you can't beat a Top 15-20. There is no point quitting your job for school for an MBA unless you can get full value out of the experience, IMO. That's the reason why I decided to go all-out into pursuing a top b-school.

There are some elitist snobs who comment in Poets and Quants, who think you have to go to a Top 3 school (Harvard, Stanford, or Wharton), but I disagree with that completely. Any of the Top 15-20 will help you get to where you want to go. It's about finding the right schools for your own career goals, interests, and which school "fits" you the best. Shoot for the schools you'd be proud of attending, and make sure you do your research.

:pimp: Good luck acid. Agree with everything you said, great advice. I hope to be in your spot next year.

Got to visit UM and Cornell this past fall for diversity weekends; really loved Ross.

Quick question. How important is that gre exam in regards to getting accepted in. I take it on Thursday, I've been studying for it but I don't want it to make or break me.

My GPA meets the requirements. I got 3 solid letters of recommendation from respected professors on my campus. One who graduated from the program I'm applying to and anther from the dean of what my bachelors was in plus a decent statement of purpose letter so I personally think I'm good on everything else.

For those who took the gre how hard was it though?

I took the old GRE and if you studied you ahould be fine. I cannot speak on the importance of the GRE for any other field except the social aciences. For ss fields statement of purpose, letters of rec and resume carry the most weight. I got into every school i applied to with my old gre score, which was a little above avg. good luck on the test.

I took the old GRE and if you studied you ahould be fine. I cannot speak on the importance of the GRE for any other field except the social aciences. For ss fields statement of purpose, letters of rec and resume carry the most weight. I got into every school i applied to with my old gre score, which was a little above avg. good luck on the test.

Thanks for the response. Ima go over some more stuff tomorrow and focus on the social science part. I was looking at the sample questions online and they seemed pretty easy for the most part so if its anything like those questions I like my chances

Quick question. How important is that gre exam in regards to getting accepted in. I take it on Thursday, I've been studying for it but I don't want it to make or break me.

My GPA meets the requirements. I got 3 solid letters of recommendation from respected professors on my campus. One who graduated from the program I'm applying to and anther from the dean of what my bachelors was in plus a decent statement of purpose letter so I personally think I'm good on everything else.

The Dean of Food Science at LSU told me that GRE plays a big role if your gpa is low.

Yes I'm looking for the best free or close to free test prep for the "new" GRE. Have to take it soon and I really need to work on my math skills.

Definitely looking into top 20 MBA programs for the near future, although I'd prefer to stay in Cali. with that being said, my obvious list is: Stanford, Haas, Anderson, Marshall, and Merage (UCI alum)...

Now, I consider my resume (cost accounting) relatively weak for the top 3 so I'll have to figure out something and engage in some extracurriculars as I'm trying to get into finance or management consulting in the programs. Undergrad GPA 3.53 and my GMAT first try was 700, with a really weak quant score so I'll be retaking after I brush up on quant again...aiming for 750. I'm just worried based on Poets and Quants' calculating admission that I have nothing to stand out and get me into any of those top 3. Feel like I gotta start my own business first or something. I still have a couple years before I'm going to apply so I'll need to up my profile. Any tips?

I'd recommend that you work your tail off and try to take on new projects where you can display your leadership. Promotions are also key, so if you're able to get 1 or 2 promotions within 4 years, that will help your cause. If you work at a gold plate tech/finance/etc firm that helps a lot as well. Also, those are great choices if you plan on stay in Cali and they all vary in "prestige" so you'll have a pefect combination of reach, target, and safety schools.

IMO, don't get too caught up in the GMAT, if you get a 720+ you'll be above the average for more of the top 20 schools and, after that point, you should focus on other parts of your application.

I'd recommend you take a look at the student profile for the program you're applying to if they have one available. That should give you a good indicator as to what the school is looking for in potential candidates.

Unfortunately, I can't speak on the difficulty of the GRE as I took the GMAT. I would think that if you have your math basics down pat, you should be able to do well on the Quant portion at least.

Last edited:
GRE isn't hard by any means. It's all about time management in my opinion. That knowledge has to be there and you just have the answer the questions at a good pace in order to do well. Just brush up on your trig and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom