GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

Just graduated with a B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology.

Rejected to 3 top pharmacy doctorate programs, waitlisted to one (still waiting). I'm banking my life on this decision. If i dont get in, FML. No idea what I'm gonna do with this degree :smh: :smh:

Completely messed up this last semester too. Life is really not looking good right now.

you just got a degree in pharmacology and toxicology...

i promise you that you'll be fine famb.... :lol:

you cant take a year off and retry for some different programs? or even a semester?

and i mean... there's nothing wrong with not going to the top 4 or 5 programs my dude...

i'm more than certain you can go to a school outside of the top 4 and be successful.. especially in something as specific and niche, yet necessary and needed like pharmacology...

its not like you got a general studies degree...

Can anyone school me on the GRE?

Just graduated last week, looking to get an MPA and then go to law school after that. What am I looking forward to when taking the GRE? Is it ridiculously difficult?

GRE was pretty easy to me. It only tests up to an 11th grade level. I didn't even study. Graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering. Finishing up my MS in Electrical Engineering and will be starting an EE PhD program in the fall.

Meant to say MY TOP CHOICES lol. I'm just mad that Plan A and B didnt work out for me (it usually never does) and i'm on Plan C right now. I didnt plan after this when I had everything mapped out.

Trust me bro, you're not doing **** with this degree unless you go into the Masters program which is heavily research based (not my cup of tea and its too late to apply for this anyway). I could become a lab assistant or pharmacy technician ($18-20/hr) but thats still a failure to me.

Take the GRE. Do not take the GMAT. And research what you want to do, people are throwing around certain careers like you can just decide you want them and they are begging for you to start.

Just graduated with a B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology.

Rejected to 3 top pharmacy doctorate programs, waitlisted to one (still waiting). I'm banking my life on this decision. If i dont get in, FML. No idea what I'm gonna do with this degree :smh: :smh:

Completely messed up this last semester too. Life is really not looking good right now.

pick up an entry level job at a biotech and work on your app for the following year. you're acting like you just graduated with a B.S. in philosophy or art history :lol:

@diewitsjames

Aiming for 2014 for summer admittance 2015.

Plan A is Hunter College. There is no Plan B.  

Sorry for the super late reply, I must've forgot.

Are you heading towards a PT direction also?

I'd love some insight, I didn't know this thread existed.

I'm at a crossroads. I just graduated from Ccny with my bachelors in sociology. I want to go to hunter or Lehman for my masters in social work but I have a decent job that makes decent money, full health insurance and retirement benefits. (32Bj). I want to go to grad school but I don't see my schedule would allow it. I'd have to leave my job where I am currently and risk debt, failure, and throwing away a decent job. It's already too late to go this fall but i plan on volunteering this fall at ACS. Hopefully that will make my resume more impressive for next year.

I don't know what to do.

@diewitsjames

Aiming for 2014 for summer admittance 2015.

Plan A is Hunter College. There is no Plan B.  

Sorry for the super late reply, I must've forgot.

Are you heading towards a PT direction also?
yeah, im starting my application sometime in june for the 2014 cycle. i really only want to get into hunter also. i'd settle for downstate but the neighborhood there really worries me. csi is a close 3rd i guess...but i heard the program wasnt all that. id love to go to LIU but its like 120k+ for 3 years
sick.gif

I'm at a crossroads. I just graduated from Ccny with my bachelors in sociology. I want to go to hunter or Lehman for my masters in social work but I have a decent job that makes decent money, full health insurance and retirement benefits. (32Bj). I want to go to grad school but I don't see my schedule would allow it. I'd have to leave my job where I am currently and risk debt, failure, and throwing away a decent job. It's already too late to go this fall but i plan on volunteering this fall at ACS. Hopefully that will make my resume more impressive for next year.

I don't know what to do.

In a similar situation. Got my BA in Sociology (Worthless degree so far) and have a good paying job. I want to go back to school but I don't want to give up this job. I wanted to get my Masters. At first I wanted to go back and get an engineering degree but after reading how difficult it is to get back into a California university and get an engineering degree I've pretty much abandoned that idea.

Might have to look into getting an MBA or something that can land me a good paying full coverage job. I make great money now working for and engineering company but the benefits don't exist.

Take the GRE. Do not take the GMAT. And research what you want to do, people are throwing around certain careers like you can just decide you want them and they are begging for you to start.

I'm gonna take GRE end of year or soon GMAT kicked my butt didn't study a lick and the prep class I took was a waste dude just did questions and didn't give actual tips on how to read questions.

And to dude that said don't take a break that may be true for most masters but an MBA with no work experience is a joke because no real MBA program will accept someone without work experience because you have nothing to contribute really to the class.

I'm about to take the 5th final out of 10 tonight in my Economics MS program. I take the 6th Thursday and will only have 4 classes (6 months) left until I graduate.

This last year has been the hardest in terms of work, school and life. Graduate school while working a full-time is not for the weak-minded and I would not recommend it to anyone who is in a relationship. I got married last year and got my acceptance letter the same week. The first year of my marriage has basically been a struggle to balance wife-life, school and work. I doubt there is a single person on earth who can be totally devoted to each aspect and sacrifices have to be made. Some weeks my work suffers greatly because my mind is on my next project or fixing something on the house. Then I blow the wife off for a night of group work and weekend of study sessions. Thank God that I have good judgment and married a saint because it has been a complete roller coaster.

My advice: don't go into more debt straight our of undergrad to pursue a graduate degree. Get some work experience, possibly get tuition reimbursement and then venture into graduate life. If you can, either play the field until you are finished or make sure you got a good one. I'm talking squeaky clean, girl next door, known her since the sandbox. It is a struggle.

I'm gonna take GRE end of year or soon GMAT kicked my butt didn't study a lick and the prep class I took was a waste dude just did questions and didn't give actual tips on how to read questions.

And to dude that said don't take a break that may be true for most masters but an MBA with no work experience is a joke because no real MBA program will accept someone without work experience because you have nothing to contribute really to the class.

It depends on your resume, my brother is at Yale with me straight out of undergrad. It just does not really allow you to have a change of heart later in your life to change careers, though it does make you take a year in the middle to work/find yourself.

Doing Emerging Media and Communication. Just finished my second semester. Glad I have the summer off.

I don't know what to do.
does it HAVE to be Lehman?

It depends on your resume, my brother is at Yale with me straight out of undergrad. It just does not really allow you to have a change of heart later in your life to change careers, though it does make you take a year in the middle to work/find yourself.
SEVERAL people go straight to excellent MBA progroms straight outta undergraduate .. :lol:

They also have 2x2 programs as well...

Yale is nice and all but imo people who go straight MBA with no work exeperience usually do it because they cant find a real job OR the small percent that land a gig at an elite firm in some kind of Fast Track program and its mandatory to have an MBA, of course you have your people with non business undergrad majors but even then I usually see people do that when they are trying to get into management/change careers

Last edited:
I'm about to take the 5th final out of 10 tonight in my Economics MS program. I take the 6th Thursday and will only have 4 classes (6 months) left until I graduate.

This last year has been the hardest in terms of work, school and life. Graduate school while working a full-time is not for the weak-minded and I would not recommend it to anyone who is in a relationship. I got married last year and got my acceptance letter the same week. The first year of my marriage has basically been a struggle to balance wife-life, school and work. I doubt there is a single person on earth who can be totally devoted to each aspect and sacrifices have to be made. Some weeks my work suffers greatly because my mind is on my next project or fixing something on the house. Then I blow the wife off for a night of group work and weekend of study sessions. Thank God that I have good judgment and married a saint because it has been a complete roller coaster.

My advice: don't go into more debt straight our of undergrad to pursue a graduate degree. Get some work experience, possibly get tuition reimbursement and then venture into graduate life. If you can, either play the field until you are finished or make sure you got a good one. I'm talking squeaky clean, girl next door, known her since the sandbox. It is a struggle.

Just curious... Where do you go?

Yale is nice and all but imo people who go straight MBA with no work exeperience usually do it because they cant find a real job OR the small percent that land a gig at an elite firm in some kind of Fast Track program and its mandatory to have an MBA, of course you have your people with non business undergrad majors but even then I usually see people do that when they are trying to get into management/change careers

Eh, your answer is lukewarm, at best, on a hot day.

The people that get accepted, are absolute STUDS; mostly who turn down incredible job offers or have started their own profitable companies, they just simply think an MBA at this point in their emerging career is the best move, so good for them.

Your blanket assumption of underachieving is pretty weak. You do not get into a top 15 program being someone who can't get a "real job."

Eh, your answer is lukewarm, at best, on a hot day.

The people that get accepted, are absolute STUDS; mostly who turn down incredible job offers or have started their own profitable companies, they just simply think an MBA at this point in their emerging career is the best move, so good for them.

Your blanket assumption of underachieving is pretty weak. You do not get into a top 15 program being someone who can't get a "real job."
never mind him famb.. .

Son talks out his *** left and right...

Posting just to post and sounding more dumb by the minutelol

For people that got their MBA or are currently enrolled, what did you concentrate in and what are your career prospects like?

My undergrad concentration was Finance, but I'm thinking about concentrating in Operations for my MBA. Don't wanna be sitting in front of spreadsheets for eternity :lol:

My opinion on GRE vs. GMAT....

If you know 100% sure you want to do business school and get an MBA, definitely take the GMAT.
However, if you're not quite sure what you want to do, but want every option to be on the table, take the GRE.

Back
Top Bottom