GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

Found out earlier today I got in off the waitlist for a top-20 MBA program:smokin

However, it's a really tough decision coming up for me. Lots of things to weigh, especially b/c the transition time to enter the program would be very short.

I`m prob gonna take GRE end of the year though. The thing that got me about the GMAT is I`m a beast at work and beasted in my major during undergrad, so every time I looked at GMAT problems I was literally disguested at how I felt like I was being trolled because the GMAT has nothing to do with MBA course work or a real job, yet it is the most important factor to getting into a program. Just my 2 cents though.
The reason why these exams truly exist is as gatekeepers. In other words they are used to thin the herd. They don't necessarily predict future career performance.
That and as a cash cow. $160 for the LSAT and it has nothing to do w/ law
mean.gif
QFT

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]There's an NT'er that I know that just got accepted to THE Ohio State University for Grad school...not gonna put him on blast just yet, but just wanted to Kongratulate him for getting in!!![/COLOR]

Big homie I appreciate the blast. I am definitely excited about this opportunity. As I said off line u really inspired me to continue achieving I appreciate the support. Phi-Nu

Found out earlier today I got in off the waitlist for a top-20 MBA program:smokin

However, it's a really tough decision coming up for me. Lots of things to weigh, especially b/c the transition time to enter the program would be very short.

[COLOR=#red]It could only make you better my dude. One trait of very successful people is the ability to make front end sacrifices and to take a few calculated risks. BTW I'm not saying you aren't successful now or that you will not be if you don't go, just saying that you probably can't go wrong going to school. They see something in you obviously. [/COLOR]

Big homie I appreciate the blast. I am definitely excited about this opportunity. As I said off line u really inspired me to continue achieving I appreciate the support. Phi-Nu

[COLOR=#red]My brother, it was in you the whole time. Now it's manifesting. 10-15 (or maybe sooner) years from now we are all going to look back and be thankful we made the decision to further our education and be in a great place in life.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Ricky basically you're right my dude. I made money in between when I graduated in '07 till I started school again. I took a little out in loans but not too much for my first semester, but now I have the internship and scholarships. Real talk I keep the expenses low...my rent and transpo only comes out to right under $900 per month.

Good to see y'all are doing well in school though...I know it can be a pain in the *** at times but we'll be better from it for sure. [/COLOR]

So glad this question was asked bro.

I hadn't anticipated how much grad school will really be especially with me relocating to Columbus from Cleveland. I actually may end up staying on campus in order to ease the stress of "having" to work. I literally just moved into my father house this week in order to pay off my car before August when school starts. Once that's handled I can probably live off of savings for a while and then hopefully find a decent job.

This is definately a calculated risk but I know that I can perservere if I stay focused

Congrats bro! Is it going to be FT or PT?

I'm going to take the GMAT one more time and apply this fall. The schools I apply to will be dependent upon my score.

Since a lot of you guys are from Texas, how's Mccombs in terms of prestige and recruiting?

So glad this question was asked bro.

I hadn't anticipated how much grad school will really be especially with me relocating to Columbus from Cleveland. I actually may end up staying on campus in order to ease the stress of "having" to work. I literally just moved into my father house this week in order to pay off my car before August when school starts. Once that's handled I can probably live off of savings for a while and then hopefully find a decent job.

This is definately a calculated risk but I know that I can perservere if I stay focused
see, I didn't notice how many people stopped working to go to school until I started speaking with other people, and its actually quite normal.

How many hours are you all taking in your programs? How many classes per semester?

I was working my job part time (32 hours) a week, and took two classes.

Second semester, I took on another job that was 25 hours ( a bank) and took two classes Again...

Summer time, I'm putting in major work... 2 classes + internship working about 30 hours in office (I get to take work home) and 30 at ATT...

Fall... I'm taking 3 classes , stay part time at ATT... I gunning for a part time work study or teacher's aide job on campus... Also, its seeming like this CFA is a necessary evil. So I'll study for that as if its a 4th class and take it in December

This is all plan b... If I get this analyst position Then things will change...

I'm sure that cfa will help though...

I'm hoping to take a different route ...

I've linked up with a consultant that does mergers and acquisitions for mid to small level companies. Its mainly a side gig. His full time income flow is being the cfo of a dairy distribution companies.

Famb is sharp.

I'm hoping this consulting experience combined with analyst experience will help me make the transition easier.

An analyst or even aim a little higher for an associaterole...

Or skip iit completely and go straight to a private equity firm or hedge fund firm...

Yeah man, ur doing it right. Im like a day away from the exam.... so much doubt right now, depression hitting big time. The drive is nowhere near what it was in the beginning. Feel so exhausted. My friend was taking CPA, and just finished reading his one book. ,×@¥+, $; $(×*×;=¥×( I almost cried when I heard that. Im so sick of regurgitating all 6 books. So much drinking will be had the minute I step out of the test center

I'm going to take the GMAT one more time and apply this fall. The schools I apply to will be dependent upon my score.

Since a lot of you guys are from Texas, how's Mccombs in terms of prestige and recruiting?
every major company that I can think of recruits there...

Can anyone name a more prestigious business school than ut outside of The M7?

True true. Thanks Ricky.

I doubt I'll get in just wanted to know. I read up a little bit, I know the big 4 etc recruit from there just don't know how heavily. I'm trying to figure out what most people do when they graduate from there, e.g consulting, banking, etc.

Goal is a top 25, just need to improve on my previous score. I'd loe to stay in Cali but we'll see. Cali has nice schools like Haas, Anderson, Marshall and of course GSB but I'm having doubts on if I can get in... :frown:

Any recommendation on whether to do full time or a part time MBA?

Last edited:

[COLOR=#red]
Well since you asked... Gig Em Aggies!!! :smokin[/COLOR]

Texas A&M University’s Mays Business School ranks first in the nation when it comes to placing MBA candidates after graduation, according to the London-based Financial Times’ annual rankings of the top 100 business schools on the globe. With 97 percent of its MBAs at work within three months of earning their degrees, Mays is tied for first place in the U.S. and comes in tied for third place worldwide.

see, I didn't notice how many people stopped working to go to school until I started speaking with other people, and its actually quite normal.

How many hours are you all taking in your programs? How many classes per semester?

I was working my job part time (32 hours) a week, and took two classes.

Second semester, I took on another job that was 25 hours ( a bank) and took two classes Again...

Summer time, I'm putting in major work... 2 classes + internship working about 30 hours in office (I get to take work home) and 30 at ATT...

Fall... I'm taking 3 classes , stay part time at ATT... I gunning for a part time work study or teacher's aide job on campus... Also, its seeming like this CFA is a necessary evil. So I'll study for that as if its a 4th class and take it in December

This is all plan b... If I get this analyst position Then things will change...

I'm gonna be taking 3 classes a semester I believe. I still have to sort out some stuff with OSU. I considered deferring for a year depending on my financing in order to save money while living with the family. This will also give me a nest egg that may pay off in the future if needed. I'm still sort of weighing my options. I really need to get this masters done though

[COLOR=#red]Ricky and SP,

There is no true one size fits all solution as far as working while in grad school, or not working and concentrating solely on your studies. It depends on the person. Some people can work an almost full-time job while attending school AND keep a very high GPA. But some programs especially some law schools and med school highly suggest you not work.

My personal philosophy is that I'll sacrifice the short term in order to have an incredible mid-term and long term. The way I see it the better I do in school and the sooner I get out the sooner I'll be into my REAL career which is the reason I'm in school in the first place. If that means I have to live in a smaller apartment with fewer amenities then so be it. Like I said my living and car only comes out to $900. I know people whose apartment alone is nearing $1k. I also made sure to get an apt on the major bus route in case my car breaks down, or if I want to save gas $$$.

There's an old saying a law school admin once told me... "live like a "baller" when you are supposed to be a student and when you graduate you'll live like a student when you're supposed to be "ballin".

Now if your job in college is related to what you'll be doing as a career then it may work out better and some school can even count that as a co-op credit. I hate school to be honest, but I love what it does for me...so I try to get out and back into the real world ASAP.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]I'll say this though...I notice that business majors tend to have more hustle about them than many of the other majors. You can't tell a hustler to stop hustling.[/COLOR]

Just posting cuz I am overwhelmed at the moment. I am in China (traveling) and am in 2 classes with the same professor. He has unrealistic expectations. I've gotten straight A's up till this point, and have no idea how these classes are going to turn out. Challenge accepted!

True true. Thanks Ricky.

I doubt I'll get in just wanted to know. I read up a little bit, I know the big 4 etc recruit from there just don't know how heavily. I'm trying to figure out what most people do when they graduate from there, e.g consulting, banking, etc.

Goal is a top 25, just need to improve on my previous score. I'd loe to stay in Cali but we'll see. Cali has nice schools like Haas, Anderson, Marshall and of course GSB but I'm having doubts on if I can get in... :frown:

Any recommendation on whether to do full time or a part time MBA?

Thanks! I'm doing full-time. I got into CMU (Tepper). The reason I'm hesitating is I got in off the waitlist rather than in March, and I have very little prep time to matriculate since school would begin in August. I also feel another year could help me be better prepared for business school as well as help with my ability to recruit for a good job.

My coworker's wife went to McCombs. That's a great school, in the grand scheme it's a top-20 school. She was able to get a great job at Adobe post-MBA, so it definitely worked for her.
I feel outside of the top 7-8 schools, there isn't much differentiation in the top 20. It boils down to fit and what you want to accomplish post-MBA. For example, Anderson (UCLA) is great for the entertainment industry; McCombs (Texas) is great for the oil industry. That doesn't mean it's the only thing it's good at but if you have specific goals in mind some schools can help you succeed more than others.

Regarding FT vs. PT, in my opinion, part-time is for people who want to advance in their company and/or have no choice to get their MBA otherwise (family obligations, etc.). To me, it would make sense if you're already a company you've wanted to be in, and you want to advance. Outside of that situation, full-time is better because you get the whole slate and experience, and get the networking and recruiting events you simply can't do in a part-time situation. It's also probably a must if you are a "career-changer".

Last edited:
Anyone in here a psych grad student? My friend is graduating with a degree in Psych and I don't know what to get him. I know the usual is a book but I don't want to get him that. Any ideas?

How many of u guys getting free tuition with of course having to put in 20-30 hours of work for the school for the program? For a masters program please pm me ur school n what masters program

Anyone in here a psych grad student? My friend is graduating with a degree in Psych and I don't know what to get him. I know the usual is a book but I don't want to get him that. Any ideas?

A bottle of champagne. Celebratory mode.

University of Maryland pharmacy school, moving there from the Bay Area. The loans i think i'm about to have to take out...
frown.gif

3.75 GPA after my first year... not bad coming from a marketing degree and a 2.53... :pimp:

This makes me feel better. I'm trying to do grad school coming out of college with a 2.86. Smh I didnt figure out I could drop classes until 2nd semester Soph year.

Back
Top Bottom