GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

did you use the paid stuff from Manhattan GMAT website or the free stuff ?
By the Official GMAT material u mean that package of the 3 books and ebooks on official GMAT website ?

For Manhattan, I bought the set of books and went through those. I didn't purchase anything else beyond that.

For the Official GMAT, I used the general review book, the quant focused one, and the verbal focused one.

For additional questions, I found some good free test bank resources on gmatclub.

For Manhattan, I bought the set of books and went through those. I didn't purchase anything else beyond that.

For the Official GMAT, I used the general review book, the quant focused one, and the verbal focused one.

For additional questions, I found some good free test bank resources on gmatclub.

greatly appreciated :nthat:

Now that it’s 2018, I can say I graduate next year.

Anyone do a ‘study abroad’ program for their MBA? Ours is called Global Business Perspectives and we travel to another country for 7 days (in between the quarter) to study their companies & economy. It’s a 4 unit class, and we gotta pay a fee on top of that.

Just wondering if anyone experienced something similar and if it was worth it. I’m most likely going to do it since it’s a once in a life time thing and I never got to do it in undergrad.
We are on the same track (will be graduating next year) I have a similar situation, in which I will most likely be going abroad, especially considering I didn't do it for undergrad.

What little value I can add in speaking with peers who have gone is it is almost 90% dependent on the instructor. Which seems obvious, but I was def location focused, where as now I am weighing the professor leading the program more carefully. Hope that helps. Good luck with finals.

We are on the same track (will be graduating next year) I have a similar situation, in which I will most likely be going abroad, especially considering I didn't do it for undergrad.

What little value I can add in speaking with peers who have gone is it is almost 90% dependent on the instructor. Which seems obvious, but I was def location focused, where as now I am weighing the professor leading the program more carefully. Hope that helps. Good luck with finals.

Appreciate the perspective fam. I was approved along with 15 others for our summer program which will be in a Buenos Aires, Argentina. My classmates have said my instructor for this trip is a wonderful professor. I also have course called Managing Transitions with her this quarter so I get a preview of what it will be like.

Best of luck with finishing your program as well :pimp:

I did the first semester of my second year in b-school at LSE. Best decision I could have made.

How do graduate students afford housing if they are in school full-time? I'm thinking about completing my law degree.

care to elaborate?
UK school system is basically entirely based on tests they take at the end of the year, so since I was there only for the beginning, I didn't have to take "finals."
That being said, I basically just traveled around every weekend (Iceland, Madrid, Istanbul, Lisbon, Athens, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc etc etc).
No language barrier, international city, and awesome classmates I am still in touch with.
Just great experience.

hows everybody holding up?
Defended my dissertation back in April. Started my tenure-track position back in July. Life is good.

For any underrepresented minorities interested in business, check out https://www.phdproject.org/
I won't give a huge unsolicited pitch here, but if you think you'd be interested in being a professor, that link is a good start.

and fun fact: business PhDs are paid for (and you receive a small salary while completing the degree), whereas MBAs regularly cost $100k+

If there's any questions, holla at me and I'll do my best to shed light.

Taking the GMAT in October and I'm applying for 2019 cycle. I'm separating from the Navy in the Spring. I plan on applying to University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Emory, University of Washington and Vanderbilt. I plan using my GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon to finance the my MBA.

and I've started paid for Magoosh study materials and some other books. I got a 510 on a diagnostic, hope to get a least a 610 on the actual test. I know the GMAT isn't going to be the strong point of my package (my work experience, essay and letters of recommendation will be) but I want to do my best.

Man, I am overworked and undersexed. Whoever said this MBA was easy lied.

This is contrary to what I've heard, the people have spoken to have told me that business school is kind of a joke with lots of mixers and events. Are you at a full-time program? What school do you go to? What's the workload like?

This is contrary to what I've heard, the people have spoken to have told me that business school is kind of a joke with lots of mixers and events. Are you at a full-time program? What school do you go to? What's the workload like?

Lol which programs do they go to

Lol which programs do they go to

My cousin went to Emory full-time and told me that the work is pretty simple and that the majority of business school is just building connections, mixers, etc. Then again she's a really smart girl, she got a 750 on her GMAT and only went to Emory because they offered her a full scholarship and she didn't want to leave Atlanta.

I go to a top 30 school and that has not been my experience.

I feel it varies, some top schools is all about networking, My boy went to Ross and echoes your cousins sentiments, my brother went to Wharton and echoes mine, and others is a combination of both.

Grading is severely inflated, but coursework is engaging and difficult. For reference I have classmates who have PHD's and Masters in engineering and they concur with my assessment.

For the business school students and graduates in this thread I have to ask a question: is a full-time MBA worth it?

Like I said a couple posts ago, I'm an active-duty naval officer and I'm transitioning out of the military in May 2019. I plan on having my mba fully financed using the post 9/11 GI Bill that will cover cost of living and 100% of tuition. I'm getting my MBA as a way to Pivot into the business world from the military.

For the sake of full disclosure, I currently make a little over $100k a year in the military. I'm hoping that earning an mba can increase my earning power. To be completely honest, I don't really care all that much about the nuts and bolts of what I'll learning in the classroom I care primarily about the career and job opportunities and MBA from at top 30 school can offer me.

To be completely honest, if I could find a job that could pay me similar money to that of the average starting salary out of a top 30 MBA program, I'd strongly consider that. I'm also applying to civilian jobs through Junior military officer programs like GE Junior Officer Leadership Program and similar programs at Accenture and Goldman Sachs.

even though I have the GI bill that would cover tuition and cost of living, I'm still scared of not working and making no money for two full years.

Also, I think I should be targeting schools in the top 30 but what do you all think?

Quick stats: 3.1 undergrad GPA from University of Georgia (Poli Sci major). I expect to get somewhere between a 600-620 on the GMAT. Active Duty Navy Lieutenant O-3 (Logistician) for 6 years, all the requesit leadership that goes with it. Black Male.

Last edited:
From my experience, B-School was fairly intense first year but dropped off in the second year once jobs were secured.

Had a pretty good balance overall.

If anyone is interested in talking about the B-School experience, I'm happy to share my perspective.

From my experience, B-School was fairly intense first year but dropped off in the second year once jobs were secured.

If anyone is interested in talking about the B-School experience, I'm happy to share my perspective.

If you don't mind me asking, which field are you in now?

What school did you go to? Did you do a full time program?

Back
Top Bottom