Green Day or RHCP... Vol. Greatest band of our generation?

Originally Posted by CRANK DAT NIKETALK

greenday sucks balls

Beautiful critique.

Rock band? As much as I hate to say this, Nickleback has to be mentioned. They move units.....somebody is liking them.

Of the two options, I would side with RHCP.

I can't help but wonder how many of you know how long Green Day has been at it.
laugh.gif
I'm sure a lot of you think American Idiot was their debut c.d.,or maybe their second time around the block.

I'm not sure I would call them rock, but I'm not going to get into an argument over semantics.

Answering the question in the title, I'm going with Green Day, by roughly 3,927 miles.

Dookie is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I could barely make a complete c.d. of my favorite RHCP songs.

But for the 90s, Collective Soul was THE ROCK BAND everyone was playing.

Man... Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Green Day, RHCP, Foo Fighters (sooooo underrated today), Offspring, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries... I missthe 90s.
frown.gif

Actually, that reminds me: I'd take The Cranberries over RHCP. I've just never really been a big RHCP fan. The only reason I've ever liked them hasbeen because they're from Long Beach.

coldplay since the start of 2000 when there first album was released there is no other better rock band in the past 8 years.

Foo Fighters (sooooo underrated today)
grin.gif
They went from not selling out arenas with Weezer toselling out every show on their tour including MSG and 2 nights at the Forum...I saw them front row and i'm a huge fan but underrated is pushing it...

What kinda question is this? RHCP is 10x times better. Green Day fell off after Insomniac. Nimrod was aite butstill.

Nirvana is with out a doubt the band of the generation. This isn't a question of which band makes the best music, but more which band best portrayed thevoice of the generation. Nevermind is an all time classic album, and truly captured the essence of how many young people felt at the time. Theres a reasonSmells like Teen Spirit is 9th on the Rolling Stones Greatest song of all time. Nirvana is the modern equivalent of the Sex Pistols. Alot of Rock out now(nickelback, foo fighters, etc) is referred to as Post-Nirvana rock. Thats got to tell you something. that being said RHCP have a more solid catalog, butI'll be damned if Dookie isn't one of the best albums of the 90s.

Green Day, but RHCPs got some classics....Then again I am from The Bay so what did you expect? I can hear the Gilman rockers calling me a sellout already.

Soul to Squeeze > anything Green Day has ever done.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Yeah, I think Green Day sucks. Chili Peppers ftw.

Radiohead > RHCP

And I don't even like Nirvana but they are definitive grunge and have had a bigger impact on people than RHCP. Green Day shouldn't even be in thisconversation.

Edit: Ska I thought the exact same thing, because I don't think many posters know how long GD has been around. I saw this post and instantly thought ofbeing in grade school, going to the store, and buying Dookie. What a classic album. I just don't think they've done enough between then and AmericanIdiot to be warranted the title of the post. And Collective Soul? Heaven let your light shine down
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
They still get rotation on my iTunes, and Ska if youhaven't, check out their live performance with like a 40-piece orchestra, it's AMAZING. That said, I'm still taking Radiohead or Nirvana...

StreetzElementz:
Nirvana is with out a doubt the band of the generation. This isn't a question of which band makes the best music, but more which band best portrayed the voice of the generation. Nevermind is an all time classic album, and truly captured the essence of how many young people felt at the time. Theres a reason Smells like Teen Spirit is 9th on the Rolling Stones Greatest song of all time. Nirvana is the modern equivalent of the Sex Pistols. Alot of Rock out now (nickelback, foo fighters, etc) is referred to as Post-Nirvana rock. Thats got to tell you something. that being said RHCP have a more solid catalog, but I'll be damned if Dookie isn't one of the best albums of the 90s.

You're absolutely spot on with everything you said; Nirvana changed things in a way that makes people reference rock before Nirvana and after.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the lead singer of Foo Fighters actually a member of Nirvana?

What defines "greatest band"?

If you look at great influential bands and an amazing level of creativity you have to put Nirvana, Radiohead, NIN, and Rage in that category

If you go popularity/record sales i guess you can put:

Nirvana- 25 million albums sold in the US during the 90's till now
Green Day- 21 million albums sold in the US during the 90's till now
RHCP- 20 million albums sold in the US during the 90's till now in there
However, Linkin Park has sold 19 million albums in the US since 1999-present. Half the time of Green Day and RHCP
eek.gif

green day is brown dood they cant hang wit rage agains the machine,rhcp,queens of the stone age, NIRVANA etc

Originally Posted by DonCoryson

Metallica

Wow totally slipped my mind... maybe cuz i think their 1980's stuff was better....

Numbers don't lie: US Album sales (including live albums) 1990-present 50 million recordssold
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

^ Well now if we're going to include metal bands, then I have to agree with my man right here. I'd take Metallica over any band mentioned in here sofar, and I LOOOOVE Green Day, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters.

But they're not on Metallica's level.

I didn't mention them earlier because I thought maybe people weren't wanting to include 'metal' in the discussion of 'rock'. Clickingon the thread and reading through the responses at first, it seemed like 'rock' in the title sparked more of an 'alternative' discussion, so Iwent with that.

But if we're including metal bands, then... yes, I agree with you: Metallica is my pick for greatest rock band of our generation.

HybridSoldier- wherever you got those figures from, would you mind looking up Metallica's numbers? I'm sure their numbers demolish anyone elsementioned. Thanks, man.

*edit* I see you posted a reply as I was typing, so I didn't see it before I went to make my reply. Just like I thought: Metallica owns.
smokin.gif
"Exxxiiiiit: light. Enteeeeerrrr: night. Taaaaaake my hannnnddd... off tonever, neverland."

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom