green smoothies

ZeroGravity23:
throw some raw oats and flax seed in there, and swap for greek yogurt
What are the benefits of all three?

The Greek yogurt will be the toughest to do, because I get my yogurt from work for free.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

I've been drinking green smoothies for the past 3 years. I got tired of eating porridge with blueberries and flax seed every morning and I found it didn't really fuel my workout. Cooked food dehydrates you and is tough to digest. So I stumbled on green smoothies and haven't looked back. The first time I went for a run after drinking a green smoothie, I felt like Barry Bonds when he was hitting 70 HR's.

I usually drink 1000 calories worth a day for breakfast and lunch. I bought a Vitamix blender last year and now I'm cranking them out like Jamba Juice. It's an awesome piece of machinery.

Today's smoothie:
2 ataulfo mangos
6 bananas (3 frozen)
fuji apple
handful of spinach
2 stalks celery
chunk of cucumber
2 medjool dates
frozen blueberries

I'd say each smoothie costs around $3-$4 which is pretty amazing considering the amount of calories and nutrients. And people say eating healthy is expensive.

how much did you pay for your blender?

i've been looking into juicers/blenders

Aren't those juicers like hundreds of dollars?

Bump that. I'm just getting started here.
laugh.gif

Gonna have to slowly build up my stock of things like flax seed and wheat germ and whatever else you guys have mentioned. Also wanna start taking fish oil and vitamin c every day. Heard those are great.

Just entirely too broke to just go all in and get started just like that.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

How much would 120 ozs of Naked or Bolthouse be?

At $4 for a 15 oz bottle of Naked, that's about $32, exactly double. Factor in that Naked has sugar in it, and isn't custom made the way you like it, and the decision to make your own green smoothies is clearly the better one.
wink.gif

your drink has a ton of sugar in it too. just dont use a juicer.

I need to be on this, or I'm gonna be dead before 30.
30t6p3b.gif
too unhealthy these days

Aren't those juicers like hundreds of dollars?

Bump that. I'm just getting started here.
laugh.gif

Gonna have to slowly build up my stock of things like flax seed and wheat germ and whatever else you guys have mentioned. Also wanna start taking fish oil and vitamin c every day. Heard those are great.

Just entirely too broke to just go all in and get started just like that.
hemp seed is good too. tons of health benefits. throw that into some smoothies

How does my drink have a ton of sugar?

The kale, bananas, strawberries, honey, and cinnamon are all natural.

The apple juice is unsweetened.

The yogurt has a small amount of processed sugar, yeah. But 'a ton'?

Natural sugars is all I could see you referring to. And I thought that was fine.

If you tell me the natural sugars in things like bananas and strawberries are bad for you, I'm effed.
laugh.gif

Wr -
pimp.gif
on the liquid chlorophyll...I saw that at my health food store the other day

Ska...try and look up health food stores in your area. Some of them might charge rape prices but others offer some good deals...especially if they have coupons.

I'm with you on the taking it easy on the health food stuff. What you gotta remember is that adding a whole bunch of stuff into one drink/smoothie might not be such a good idea...atleast from my personal experience. Theirs a science behind a combination of the right foods at the right time of the day.

heres a couple good sites:
http://www.bewellbuzz.com/topics/
http://www.remedyluv.com/
http://www.greendrinkreviews.com/wp/

http://www.thehealthysnac...ked-juice-green-machine/
Green-Machine.jpg

Beverages are all too often the place where sneaky and unnecessary sugar and calories go to hide. A person could go crazy trying to find a delicious drink, free from artificial sweeteners and additives! But, not if I have anything to do with it. I’ve found an alternative and it involves going completely Naked.

The Naked Juice Company has promised to make juices and smoothies with no less than 100% juice. Not juice "drinks

Originally Posted by dgk3188

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

I've been drinking green smoothies for the past 3 years. I got tired of eating porridge with blueberries and flax seed every morning and I found it didn't really fuel my workout. Cooked food dehydrates you and is tough to digest. So I stumbled on green smoothies and haven't looked back. The first time I went for a run after drinking a green smoothie, I felt like Barry Bonds when he was hitting 70 HR's.

I usually drink 1000 calories worth a day for breakfast and lunch. I bought a Vitamix blender last year and now I'm cranking them out like Jamba Juice. It's an awesome piece of machinery.

Today's smoothie:
2 ataulfo mangos
6 bananas (3 frozen)
fuji apple
handful of spinach
2 stalks celery
chunk of cucumber
2 medjool dates
frozen blueberries

I'd say each smoothie costs around $3-$4 which is pretty amazing considering the amount of calories and nutrients. And people say eating healthy is expensive.

how much did you pay for your blender?

i've been looking into juicers/blenders

Those bad boy's are like 400....but it has a warranty for 7 years I just got one about a month ago but it is worth it. u can do so much with it.
I make smoothies and add some Vitamins from dr. shulze's in a powder form and that gets me going and I feel them really working they are supposed to be super healthy. u can check out his site at herbdoc.com

ZeroGravity23:
throw some raw oats and flax seed in there, and swap for greek yogurt
What are the benefits of all three?

The Greek yogurt will be the toughest to do, because I get my yogurt from work for free.
laugh.gif

flaxseed is one of the richest plant sources to contain omega3 fatty acids. greek yogurt is a better alternative because it's fat free and contains a great amount of protein. raw oats have a lot of beneficial properties as well.

been making fruit smoothies every morning since i got my vitamix
looking forward to getting some good green recipes

Had one of those today for my first time. Right before seeing this thread. Got a little bottle for 2 bucks.

I didn't know what to expect flavor wise but it was alright. The bottom end was the best part for somme reason.

I'm gonna try....

For the past 4 weeks, I've been on this;

1 banana

1-2 scoops of peanut butter

1-2 scoops

1/2 a shake bottle worth of ice cubes

1/2 a shake bottle worth of Almond Milk

This keeps me full from 8 to noon.....I might also take this after a workout....I add some BCAA's or glutamine to it and go...tasty as hell

How does my drink have a ton of sugar?

The kale, bananas, strawberries, honey, and cinnamon are all natural.

The apple juice is unsweetened.

The yogurt has a small amount of processed sugar, yeah. But 'a ton'?

Natural sugars is all I could see you referring to. And I thought that was fine.

If you tell me the natural sugars in things like bananas and strawberries are bad for you, I'm effed.
laugh.gif
all that fruit, honey and juice is loaded with sugar. those "naked" drinks have a lot of natural sugar as well. im just pointing out that its the same thing. when you blend it, the fiber stays in your drink so thats beneficial. im not sure of the fiber content of the naked juice but using a juicer gets rid of the fibrous content so stick to blending. if anything, get rid of the apple juice and stick to whole fruits/foods and it'll be perfect. high in sugar, but high in fiber as well so its all good.

I'm gonna try....

For the past 4 weeks, I've been on this;

1 banana

1-2 scoops of peanut butter

1-2 scoops

1/2 a shake bottle worth of ice cubes

1/2 a shake bottle worth of Almond Milk

This keeps me full from 8 to noon.....I might also take this after a workout....I add some BCAA's or glutamine to it and go...tasty as hell

Stumbled across this thread and I am definitely intrigued but I got a few questions. Are you guys doing this only for breakfast? Which recipes seem to be the most flavorful/delicious? I'm thinking of having this replace my dinner meal but maybe even breakfast too.

In Yo Nostril:
all that fruit, honey and juice is loaded with sugar. those "naked" drinks have a lot of natural sugar as well. im just pointing out that its the same thing. when you blend it, the fiber stays in your drink so thats beneficial. im not sure of the fiber content of the naked juice but using a juicer gets rid of the fibrous content so stick to blending. if anything, get rid of the apple juice and stick to whole fruits/foods and it'll be perfect. high in sugar, but high in fiber as well so its all good.
Alright, so hold up...

You're saying that the sugars in my homemade green smoothie are just as good/bad as the sugars in these other drinks, right? So I shouldn't be citing 'less sugar' as an advantage to mine, right?

I hope so. Otherwise, I'll be confused as hell.
laugh.gif
Because I was thinking that there were processed sugars in those store bought drinks. You're saying no?

Second, the processed sugar in things like Pop Tarts and donuts and what not IS worst than natural sugars in things like strawberries and apples, right? If I'm wrong on this one, then I really won't see the point.
laugh.gif
Giving up the fats and 'bad' sugar was exactly what I thought I was accomplishing by the few steps I've taken lately (green smoothies every morning being one of those steps).

Back
Top Bottom