green smoothies

calibeebee:
jazam8.png
> all
$6 for a 64 oz bottle?! I need to be on THAT.

One nutritionist view

Refined Sugar vs. Natural Sugar

by Sarah Morgan, Nutritionist

There is a lot of talk today about the difference between natural and refined sugar. Refined sugar is thought of by some as “white death.

Mangudai954:
Natural sugars in the form of honey, agave nectar and fruit sugars can be detrimental to the body if consumed in high quantities. May I even suggest they can be detrimental to the body even in low quantities.

The better option would be to greatly reduce your refined and natural sugar intake. I recommend no more than 1 fruit per day and a max of one sweet per week for healthy individuals. Healthy means you are not overweight, no high cholesterol or blood pressure, no aches and pains, no thyroid problems, no GI problems, no issues with fatigue. I want you to know the person I just described is a rare bird in the American population.
Sonuva...

So why the hell are we telling our kids to grab a banana instead of a donut?
ohwell.gif
If natural sugar is detrimental to your body, then... there really are no healthy alternatives to the sweets we collectively love so much? So all the advice about dropping things like brownie sundaes and opting instead for maybe a bowl of berries w/ a little whipped cream because it's healthier, all that advice is based on a myth?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

In Yo Nostril:
all that fruit, honey and juice is loaded with sugar. those "naked" drinks have a lot of natural sugar as well. im just pointing out that its the same thing. when you blend it, the fiber stays in your drink so thats beneficial. im not sure of the fiber content of the naked juice but using a juicer gets rid of the fibrous content so stick to blending. if anything, get rid of the apple juice and stick to whole fruits/foods and it'll be perfect. high in sugar, but high in fiber as well so its all good.
Alright, so hold up...

You're saying that the sugars in my homemade green smoothie are just as good/bad as the sugars in these other drinks, right? So I shouldn't be citing 'less sugar' as an advantage to mine, right?

I hope so. Otherwise, I'll be confused as hell.
laugh.gif
Because I was thinking that there were processed sugars in those store bought drinks. You're saying no?

Second, the processed sugar in things like Pop Tarts and donuts and what not IS worst than natural sugars in things like strawberries and apples, right? If I'm wrong on this one, then I really won't see the point.
laugh.gif
Giving up the fats and 'bad' sugar was exactly what I thought I was accomplishing by the few steps I've taken lately (green smoothies every morning being one of those steps).

what im saying is that those drinks (naked, odwalla) probably are similar to what you are drinking. i dont drink them but i notice they're expensive so i assume its just blended fruit mixed with juices. i dont think they add any extra sugars due to all the fruit in there but again, im not sure.

and that nutrionist. one fruit a day? maybe shes right but still 
laugh.gif

look ska, just blend all your fruits and vegetables and dont go OD on fruit juice. its processed and its not the same as eating the actual fruit.  even though honey is almost pure sugar, i still eat it. it comes from bees, its like a life giving source in my opinion
laugh.gif

i remember the great Bean Pie Slanga once saying that you never see someone get fat from eating too much fruit and veggies.
smokin.gif

the past few weeks i've been making green smoothies and having them for dinner/breakfast.

i usually throw some fresh spring greens with some water as the base...throw a few fruits and a few veggies (whatever is on hand). top it off with some chia seeds.

it's worked wonders for me. additionally, since i started taking them, allergies haven't hit me this year....i can't help but think it's correlated.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

i've never made a one myself, but i'm drinking a bolthouse green goodness right now
tumblr_lkj38nkWEj1qex4odo1_500.jpg

these are 
pimp.gif

the Naked Green Machine and Bolthouse taste exactly the same and you can get a big

bottle of Bolthouse for the price of a small Naked.
These were recalled in 07 and 08 like twice.  I drank like 2 of those Bolthouse Carrot Juice smoothies and I had the WORST case of food poisoning... was literally in bed for like 5 days.  Never drinking this %@## again. 

In Yo Nostril:
ska, just blend all your fruits and vegetables and dont go OD on fruit juice. its processed and its not the same as eating the actual fruit.  even though honey is almost pure sugar, i still eat it. it comes from bees, its like a life giving source in my opinion
laugh.gif

Gotcha.
In Yo Nostril:
i remember the great Bean Pie Slanga once saying that you never see someone get fat from eating too much fruit and veggies.
smokin.gif

Makes sense. 
smokin.gif

Thanks for the help, dude.

Anyone ever use this?
resize

Is it essentially the same as what's being discussed here? My coworker was telling me about this, and how he adds it to his protein shakes (I believe). I would like to try this too, adding it to my GNC Mass XXX shake I take daily (sometimes twice daily). He says its really good for your skin too, which is something I'm very interested in.

I'll be doing my own research as well.

edit - not the capsules, but the powder form

I recently picked this book up. Haven't gotten around to reading it though, as I am currently in the processing of finishing up another.

51lPtZqrGLL._SS500_.jpg

This dude Supa Nova Slom was a health counselor for many in the hip-hop biz, (stic.man, jay electronica, erykah badu,etc.)

Known as hip-hop's medicine man, Supa Nova Slom has helped the biggest names in hip-hop get healthy. In this two-part health guide, Supa Nova Slom shares his program for restoring health and balance to your body.
In the first half, he introduces his Chlorophyllian Cleanse, which revitalizes as it cleanses by flushing and feeding your body. The second half of the book focuses his Five Week Power Plan, which provides amazing energy and the pathway to real weight-loss through healthy living and a green diet.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

I keep a big bottle of this in the fridge.

My daughters love this stuff...

Naked-Juice-Green-Machine-Fruit-Boost-Smoothie.jpg

Naked-Juice-Green-Machine-Fruit-Boost-Smoothie-inside.jpg

Had one of those this morning. Tasty stuff.

Helped wash down my bacon roll!

Definitely going to look into this more, starting to get fat lately and haven't been taking in a balanced amount of fruits and veggies. I love the Naked Green Machine but spending $4 on that everyday is ridiculous.

Giving this a little bump. Went to the store today and stocked up on ingredients to make my own green smoothies. Bought Apples, Mangos, Kiwis, Spinach, Kale and Bananas. Was just going to buy the bolthouse but my local Safeway was out. Also looking into getting spirulin(algae) since that is in the Naked Green Machine and has alot of nutrients.

Kiwi
Banana
Apple
Kale
Greek Yogurt
Raw Oats

Going to grab some seaweed, flax seeds and strawberries. Are these made exclusively for the A.M.?

Back
Top Bottom