GTDS Presents | The Top 15 Mixtapes of 2009

Did this list for my Blog, but I wanted to hear some you guys' input...

4159377024_163cebe776_o.jpg

Big Sean | UKnowBigSean [Release: April]

4125809592_8c08fbfc63_o.jpg

Good Music representer Big Sean's 2nd Official Mixtape. Joint definitely had a healthy amount of tracks filled with unconventional loops, collaborations and "braggadocious" lyrics to compliment 'em.

Download Here
Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa | How Fly[Release: August]

3805869315_7de627b1a9_o.jpg

Stoners across the Hip-Hop world rejoiced when the two "Neo-Hemp lovers" Curren$y and Wiz Khalifa announced their impending collaborative project. I think they damn near broke Twitter the night this came out.

Download Here
The Boy Illinois | Inhale Pt. 2 (Loyalty Before TheLove) [Release: September]

3901686572_051016a8f8_o.jpg

After working closely with Illi on this project graphic & music wise, I could tell "The Boy" is genuinely ambitious about the work he puts out and the music represents that. With synth-heavy, hard-hitting drums & samples The Boy Illinois' Inhale is a breath of fresh air. (Had to use that pun, sorry.)

TheDownload Here
Gucci Mane | Burrprint (The Movie 3D)[Release: October]

00-gucci_mane_and_dj_drama-movie_3_the_burrprint-2009.jpg

Burr. Skurr. That pretty much sums it up.

Download Here
Lil Wayne | No Ceilings [Release: October]

lil-wayne-no-ceilings.jpg

Probably the most known mixtape on this list, Lil Wayne put away the Autotune for a second and gave a reminder why the biggest name in Hip-Hop is...the biggest name in Hip-Hop.

Download Here

Hit the jump to view the Top10...
Lupe Fiasco | Enemy Of The State [Release: November]

4137980526_dc580c49f2.jpg

A late entry on the list but the timing was just right. Lupe Fiasco storms in with his literal mixTAPE format that left fans scratching their heads but ultimately reaffirmed why some consider him "The Best Rapper Alive."

Download Here
9. GoD Jewels | Glory Or Death [Release: June]
3636138347_78566355c4.jpg

Chicago's 3rd representer on the list, GoD Jewels is a newcomer that definitely isn't afraid to carry his city on his back. With his Glory Or Death debut he gives us a very cohesive tape that's filled with AMC style quote-ables and History Channel-like enlightenment.

Download Here
Bangladesh | Passport Musik [Release: January]

passport_front.jpg

2009 was a big year for Atlanta producer Bangladesh. With a couple chart-topping hits under his belt, it would seem he foretold his own future when he dropped this mixtape in January. Filled with 808s, "Angel Claps" and guest appearances from Muffy Cupcakes, Missy Elliot, Tom Foolery, M.I.A & more, this is a must-hear tape for "banger-enthusiasts" and is a personal favorite.

Download Here
50 Cent | War Angel LP [Release: June]

3636944998_34d0e97baa.jpg

In the midst of a couple beefs with "you name 'em" , cartoons and pimp skits, one could assume Curtis lost a step musically but this tape was an undeniable deliverance and a prelude to the gritty NY album that was "Before I Self Destruct".

Download Here
Dom Kennedy | FutureStreet/DrugSounds [Release: April]

3512160640_8bd5e8f4b5.jpg

It would seem the West Coast got tired of waiting for one person to "bring them back" and began releasing a sh*t load of new music from a couple new artists. Amongst them is Leimert Park's Dom Kennedy. With this sophomore tape Dom reaches to his coasts traditional nudged drum loops and moog basses but also reaches out to producers Chuck Inglish (of the Cool Kids) and Brandon DeShay to create a whole new sound that is FSDS. Very dope tape with an Album-like feel.

Download Here
Cam'ron & Vado | Boss Of All Bosses [Release: August]

camron_boss_of_all_bosses_gangsta_grillz-front-large.jpg

After a year or two hiatus, old Dipset fans were left to endure Jim Jones guest appearances and were beginning to feel abandoned. But with this collaborative effort with DJ Drama and Vado, he re-demonstrated why he's so effortlessly original over Araab's sample chops.

Download Here
Mike Posner | A Matter Of Time [Release: March]

final.jpg

An unlikely choice some would probably argue but the raspy-voice, singer/songwriter/producer recruits his Detroit neighbor Big Sean as well as Donnis, Jackie Chain and other others to create this futuristic, 808, sample-riddled concoction that is A Matter Of Time. "Losing My Mind" is literally the most played song on my iTunes.

Download Here
J. Cole | The Warm Up [Release: June]

3636954464_a4b5d5909c_o.jpg

With the creation of Jay-Z's RocNation we were given J. Cole's 2nd Mixtape "The Warm Up". The rapper/producer goes in on some your favorite songs AND samples as he calms a lot of weary Hip-Hop heads and shows that the future is bright."FAYETTENAAAM!"

Download Here
Wiz Khalifa | Flight School [Release: April]
3992545218_fcc85fa37e.jpg

Boy howdy, was this my sh*t from April to... well now. Wiz exceeded his previous mixtape performances and introduced himself to whole new gate of fans. What makes this tape so exceptional is that he dropped a 22 track mixtape with little to NO weak tracks and proved that you don't need a gimmick or weird theme to make a noteworthy project, just a sh*t load of back to back hotness...

Download Here
Drake | So Far Gone [Release: February]

drake-so-far-gone.png

Don't act like you didn't suspect this wasn't #1 or at least in the Top 5. I wish I could throw in a curve ball, but it's undeniable how great this tape was. Drake may have used his personal and YM connects for guest appearances to get people interested but he didn't use 'em as a crutch. The sad thing is this mixtape seems more well-thought out and all around better than ALOT of people's albums. I'm sure he realizes Thank Me Later has to be twice as good. Good luck...

Download Here

Welp, there it is. GTDS' Top 15 mixtapes of 2009. Here's a small list of tapes that didn'tquite make the list but were worth an honorable mention:

ChesterFrench | Jacques Jams
[h2]Hi Jynx |Music Monday [The Mixtape][/h2]
Are Pure | Pay YourChild Support

Wale | Back To The Feature

Pac Div | Church League Champions

IvyBetty.com Presents KanYe West : Graduation The Musical

TheCool Kids | Gone Fishing

Henz$ | Unusual Suspects

PoePicasso | Exhibit B: Manifest Destiny

French Montana& Max B | Coke Wave

Qualmes | From The Ground Up
Didn't mean for this to come off as a shameless plug but I was planning on making a post about this yways, I know I missed a couple but whatever. Opinions?

lol @ wiz and 50s tape being better than waynes, lupes, and big seans

its all opinion tho...good list

Lupe's joint don't belong and Big Sean's joint don't belong.

I don't listen to Wayne or gucci so they wouldn't be on my list.

Illi, Jewels, and Dom's mixtapes play like albums imo.

SFG, War Angel, Flight School, and BOAB are too high imo. War Angel and FS probably wouldn't be on my list either. 2 joints on their I never heard of.

I'll edit and make a list later if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I'm all down for supporting the NT Fam but to put Jewelz and Dom way up there ahead of people like Lupe etc is reaching.
You laughing that hard is a reach.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Lupe's joint don't belong and Big Sean's joint don't belong.

I don't listen to Wayne or gucci so they wouldn't be on my list.

Illi, Jewels, and Dom's mixtapes play like albums imo.

SFG, War Angel, Flight School, and BOAB are too high imo. War Angel and FS probably wouldn't be on my list either. 2 joints on their I never heard of.

I'll edit and make a list later if you don't mind.
I feel you, it's all opinion based, so be my guest.

I just figured I'd share my thoughts.

I dont think its a bad list. My top 5-7 tapes for this year are on the list so i have no problems wit it

Definitely a very good list overall. I don't think Mike Posner should be on there, Flight School should drop to between 10 and 15. Lupe deserves to bebumped up. Dom, Illi, and G.o.D. all more than deserve to be on that list. I'd probably bump Glorious Death up a few spots too.

15) Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y - How Fly

how-fly-cover-450x450.jpg

This joint still gets burn. Car Service probably got over 60 plays. There's a good amount of great songs on this and Wiz is doing his thing the whole tape. Great
pimp.gif
tape.

14) M1 Platoon - We Not Them Pt. 2

2546082370-1.jpg

Another dope joint out of the DMV. This group continues to impress. The fact that they got 9th producing for them is even better.
13) Pac Div - Church League Champions

pac-div.jpg

Great mixtape right here. If you didn't know probably thought you was listening to joints off of an album. coming out the West Coast they're mad overlooked but this tape just continues to show what type of high quality music they can make.

12) Resevoir Dogs [Jozeemo, Joe Scudda, Chaundon & Rapper Big Pooh] - Resevoir Dogs Mixtape

ResevoirDogs%28Mixtape%29.jpg

Pleasant surprise from of the Hall Of Justus camp. 4 of their best come together straight spittin on this whole tape. Good shh right here.
11) Drake - So Far Gone

drake-so-far-gone.jpg

For a Rap/R&B mixtape this is really good. Wasn't what I was expecting given his 2 previous mixtapes but this was a good joint musically. Didn't care for some of the features tho.

10) Nickleus F & Portishead - R.A.R.E.: Reliving A Real Experience

nickf_rare_front-1-500x500.jpg

eek.gif
@ this right here. Personal classic for me. Nickleus is spittin on this joint and the dark and raw Portishead production is great.

9) Outasight - From There To Here

outasight1.jpg

Can't thank ps2child for putting me on to this dude Outasight. Breath of fresh air type of music right here. Beats are really good, the songs are real nice and homey can spit.

glasses.gif
Los - Welcome Swaggsville

Welcome+To+Swaggsville.jpg

My boy Los is just too dope. This aint even his best mixtape but he comes off on these beats better than the originals. Title was ridiculous but it isn't any indication of what he brings to the table with this mixtape.

7) Wale - Back To The Feature

Back-to-the-Feature.jpg

Love the features on this. This ranks up one of Wale's best mixtapes. As promised dudes were spitting on this tape. (Just wish his album was as good)

6) Cam'ron - Boss Of All Bosses Ft. Vado

00_dj_drama_and_camron-boss_of_all_bosses_gangsta_grillz_edition-web-2009-front-djleak.jpg

Vado really does his thing on this joint and Cam shows that he can match his lyrics(which haven't fallen off) to good beats and dope songs once again.

5) Sha Stimuli - The Funeral

sha1.jpg

Sha as usual making great music. This aint even the best of his 12 mixtape series. Wish dude would get his deserved recognition. He's easily as good as anybody in ya top 5 and better the majority of these new school rappers.

4) G.o.D. Jewels - Glory Or Death

front_cover.jpg

Already said so much about this joint. Plays like an album. Nothing but raw spitting on this. Can't wait for Greatness Open Doors.

3) The Boy Illinois - Inhale Pt. 2: Loyalty Before The Love

The_Boy_Illinois_Loyalty_Before_The_Love__Cover_.jpg

Not only does it play like an album but its on another level with how some of these joints imo can easily be singles and all ready for radio.

2) Dom Kennedy - Future Street/Drug Sounds

future_street_covernew.jpg

Played the hell out of this all summer. Dom held me down and then produced in the fall. This project exceeded expectations, such dope music. This still gets play, easily his best work to date.

1) J. Cole - The Warm Up

j-cole-the-warm-up-450x450.jpg

Probably the biggest surprise for me all year from any rapper(Seeing as I wasn't even sure he was a rapper at first). Played this over and over. Such great concepts, dope beats, and raw lyricism. The sound just keeps me wanting more.

Honorable Mentions:
Torae & Marco Polo - Armed & Dangerous(Just missed out on the list)
U-N-I - Before There Was Love
Rhymefest - The Manual
Dom Kennedy - Best After Bobby
Stat Quo - Checks & Balance
Wiz Khalifa - B.A.R./Flight School
The Kid Daytona - Come Fly With Me
Sean P - Kimbo Price
XV - Everybody's Nobody
Fashawn - The Antidote

I'm sure all of us like The Warm Up better than SFG, including myself, but denying SFG the #1 spot after the impact it made is foolishness. It was one ofthe most popular CD's this year, albums included.

I love FS/DS but you being a NT and putting that so high on the list just makes me
roll.gif
It isn't a good look when it seems personal favorites have hadtheir influnce on a list like this homie.

Def not a bad list though.

wow u guys have the worst taste in music WHERE IS THE UNUSAL SUPECT henz0 spazzed
pimp.gif

I DO NOT CARE what anyone else says BUT

So Far Gone was the best mixtape in the past 5 years.

That mixtape was like a damn album and was so varied and complete in my eyes.

That's a terrible list. Flight School was not the second best mixtape of this year, nor was it top 15. Give me a %@%*%%% break.

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

I'm sure all of us like The Warm Up better than SFG, including myself, but denying SFG the #1 spot after the impact it made is foolishness. It was one of the most popular CD's this year, albums included.

I love FS/DS but you being a NT and putting that so high on the list just makes me
roll.gif
It isn't a good look when it seems personal favorites have had their influnce on a list like this homie.

This is more so my top 15 favs of the year. I'm not in to the politics of putting a mixtape higher that I feel wasn't the best when Ididn't like it as much as others just because of how everyone else reacted to it whether it be with adulation or flat out hate for it. I don't care forthe impact on others just the impact it had on me. It was a really good tape but it wasn't the best for me.

As far as 3 NTers that dropped mixtapes this year they probably got the most plays on the list. The Warm up barely beats out FS/DS. I played the hell out ofthat tape and continue to do so.
I DO NOT CARE what anyone else says BUT

So Far Gone was the best mixtape in the past 5 years.

That mixtape was like a damn album and was so varied and complete in my eyes.
It was like an album but I'd suggest you listen to more mixtapes man. One of the problems I have with it is you gotta be in a mood for most ofthese songs and the features, he could've done without some of these ppl on his tape.

Nipsey bullets aint got no name vol 3 nowhere on the list??? Good list op besides no nipsey and i can feel so far gone at number 1 over warm up but the come upbetter then both even tho it didnt come out this year just to throw that in lol

smh I only know about 6 mixtapes from master zik list lol

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

I'm sure all of us like The Warm Up better than SFG, including myself, but denying SFG the #1 spot after the impact it made is foolishness. It was one of the most popular CD's this year, albums included.

roll.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It isn't a good look when it seems personal favorites[/color] have had their influnce on a list like this homie.

Yea, I enjoy the Warm Up ALOT, but So Far Gone is undeniable. It propelled dude's career to a WHOLE'nother plateau and made some of these artists start giving a %%+$ about their mixtapes.

However, Take notice to the bottom right corner. Plus, those tapes ARE great tapes.
4159377024_163cebe776_o.jpg

Master Zik
That's a great list right there.
smokin.gif

I notice we've got a lot of the same. I'm sure we'd have an even similar list had I heard some of the tapes you posted.

That was a great list
pimp.gif

Im all for supporting NT fam but yall be 1upping NT ___'s too much sometimes
laugh.gif

*%@*** are SLEEPING n that bangladesh mixtape
smh.gif

Good list tho..

I listen to everything listed except for the J.Cole, Mike Posner, Big Sean And 50's war angel joints

I Would put Nip hussle's BAGNN Series on the that list..Yo Gotti's Cocaine Muzik vol.2 & 3..And Triple C's White sands Mixtape in place ofthose 3 ( not in no set order)

Flight school made me a believer in Whiz.."Ms.rightfernow", "Material", "Dreamer"
sick.gif
pimp.gif

I knocks Illi +%$@ too much
smh.gif
pimp.gif
.."Bye Bye Lil Lady" needs a vid like yesterday..

I only listen to "Car Service" on the Whiz/Currensy Mixtape So I wouldn't have that on there...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom