Gym Etiquette.......let's get a list

Got this idea from something PanaRicanRetro said in another thread where some dude was doing standing military presses in the power rack for like 8-9 sets
smh.gif

anyways...let's list some Do's & Dont's when you work out...

-Wipe down the machines/benches/etc when you are done....there's nothing worse than seeing a sweat outline on the bench because someone didn't wipe itdown after they finished their sets....the worst was this one dude I used the bench after (he wasn't sweating) but he musta had some extra juicy activatorin his hair, cause the top of the bench was saturated looking like an egg mcmuffin wrapper.....even after wiping it down, the **+@ was STILL stained
smh.gif

-Chill with the Monica Seles EXCESSIVE grunting when putting up weight. Obviously, people are gonna make noise when they are working out, but there's noneed to be loud enough to the point where people can hear you across the gym..

-Rack your weights....show a lil' sympathy for the folks who work at the gym and also others who may want to use machines, free weights, etc....whenyou're done, RACK YOUR **+@! Nothing worse than going on a leg press and having to clear 10 45lb plates cause someone else was too lazy to clean upthemselves...

-Respect the fact that some people DON'T use the gym as a social club. There are people who kill workout momentum by trying to carry on long @%+conversations...be respectful of others working out, and don't waste their time.

I'll add more later on...

-Rack your weights....show a lil' sympathy for the folks who work at the gym and also others who may want to use machines, free weights, etc....when you're done, RACK YOUR **+@! Nothing worse than going on a leg press and having to clear 10 45lb plates cause someone else was too lazy to clean up themselves...
i cant STAND when people put dumbells back in the wrong place ... putting a 50lb in the 45lb slot like you cant read
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

1. dont straight up stare at other people
2. dont spend forever and a day at the water fountain in between sets
3. dont stand RIGHT in front of someone else when doing a free weight exercise . i cant stand when im doing incline dumbell press or some exercise involving abench w/ free weights and some clown decides to do bicep curls right in front of me so i can no longer see the mirror
4. unless you're doing dumbell presses with 100lbs+ in each hand , dont chuck your weights down at the ground like they each weigh a ton

Good stuff so far. I hit the gym 6 times in a week and now have gone in the late morning now to avoid stuff like this.

I always:
-wipe down stations.
-get my work in and get out. I do my 5-6 sets so others can use it after. Or if I'm just starting, I ask if they want to work in.
-always put the weights back. It irks me when dudes just leave dumbbells all around the gym and I have to go hunting for a set.

I dislike it when folks hog the station doing nothing except just sitting there listening to music, talking to friend or texting.

Wearing regular slacks, sweater vests, and dress shoes are not work out material. I see a lot of russians doing this at my gym.

Originally Posted by Prez T

-Rack your weights....show a lil' sympathy for the folks who work at the gym and also others who may want to use machines, free weights, etc....when you're done, RACK YOUR **+@! Nothing worse than going on a leg press and having to clear 10 45lb plates cause someone else was too lazy to clean up themselves...
i cant STAND when people put dumbells back in the wrong place ... putting a 50lb in the 45lb slot like you cant read
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

1. dont straight up stare at other people
2. dont spend forever and a day at the water fountain in between sets
3. dont stand RIGHT in front of someone else when doing a free weight exercise . i cant stand when im doing incline dumbell press or some exercise involving a bench w/ free weights and some clown decides to do bicep curls right in front of me so i can no longer see the mirror
4. unless you're doing dumbell presses with 100lbs+ in each hand , dont chuck your weights down at the ground like they each weigh a ton

Originally Posted by fittednoob

Wearing regular slacks, sweater vests, and dress shoes are not work out material. I see a lot of russians doing this at my gym.
I used to see this when I go to the gym at around 5PM when people are just getting off work. On the other side of the spectrum, I lalso augh atcats trying to be 'cool' when they work out...with a fitted tilted back, sagging shorts, and some high top AF1's on trying to run at a fast pace onthe treadmill.

reasons why i used to hit the Y mad early w/ the old heads
laugh.gif
....can't stand being in the weight room w/ certain folks

Originally Posted by wj4

Good stuff so far. I hit the gym 6 times in a week and now have gone in the late morning now to avoid stuff like this.

I always:
-wipe down stations.
-get my work in and get out. I do my 5-6 sets so others can use it after. Or if I'm just starting, I ask if they want to work in.
-always put the weights back. It irks me when dudes just leave dumbbells all around the gym and I have to go hunting for a set.

I dislike it when folks hog the station doing nothing except just sitting there listening to music, talking to friend or texting.
well said

Don't stunt when girls walk by and try to lift something you have no business dealing with. If your 5'8 150lb you have no business curling 60+lbs oneach arm.

Wear deodorant

guys who take about 5 minutes between each set and when you ask them if they are finished with the weights they say no
mad.gif

Let people work in with you. If u see someone standin by your station waiting to use the weights, ask them if they want in...

that extra minute aint gonna kill ur work out

Off the top of my head thoughts:

1. Wash your freaking hands when u go to the bathroom and are on the verge of touching every weight I am likely about to touch.
2. No one cares that you can lift huge weight. Everyone else is worryin about themselves. So quit with the look at me routine. Your form is off anyway.
3. Please rack your weights.
4. Please at the very least put a towel on when you are shaving/brushing your teeth/combing your hair/socializing with your other retired lockeroom buddies.
5. If you've done the same routine and the same weight for the past 3 years It's probably time to switch it up.

you know What I've realized after working out at a gym for 5+ years? People don't give a ++$% what you're doing (as long as it's not directlybothering them). That goes for a lot of stuff on this list like grunting excessively or whatever.
Before I used to be really apprehensive about doing a lot of new stuff that I wanted to try out in the gym because of what the other people there would think,,but then I realized nobody cares and everybody's there to do their own thing!

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Off the top of my head thoughts:

1. Wash your freaking hands when u go to the bathroom and are on the verge of touching every weight I am likely about to touch.
2. No one cares that you can lift huge weight. Everyone else is worryin about themselves. So quit with the look at me routine. Your form is off anyway.
3. Please rack your weights.
4. Please at the very least put a towel on when you are shaving/brushing your teeth/combing your hair/socializing with your other retired lockeroom buddies.
5. If you've done the same routine and the same weight for the past 3 years It's probably time to switch it up.
smh.gif
as if the dumbbells aren't unsanitary enough as they are....I cringe when I see folks using their hand to wipe sweat away from around theirmouths etc.....

*There is no shame in lifting lighter weights...you're better off getting correct form on a lighter weight, than jerking your body trying to throw upentirely TOO much weight...

you know What I've realized after working out at a gym for 5+ years? People don't give a ++$% what you're doing (as long as it's not directly bothering them). That goes for a lot of stuff on this list like grunting excessively or whatever.
Before I used to be really apprehensive about doing a lot of new stuff that I wanted to try out in the gym because of what the other people there would think,, but then I realized nobody cares and everybody's there to do their own thing!

yeah man...a lot of people get really self-conscious, but truth of the matter is everyone is doing their own thing! There are people of all different shapesand sizes, and remember...we all have to start somewhere.

another thing...don't be afraid to ask a question. I've been working out consistently for over 10 years, and I'll still ask a question about anexercise, form, etc....most people are happy to give advice or help.

it grinds my gears when guys ask if we need any help when it comes to using a machine that isn't a treadmill.
also, when girls go in groups of 5+ just to talk and eat $#!#, taking up valuable workout space... or taking up space period.
also, the girls who intentionally do 20 reps of 45 (guesstimation) when they see you're standing & waiting for the machine they're currently on...
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom