Gym Etiquette.......let's get a list

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

- Don't load up the leg press machine with 800 lbs and think you're doin it.

How is this gym etiquette?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

people work out in hats?

laugh.gif
Son, I've seen

- Fitteds
-Designer shades
-Jeans and Jean shorts
-Boat shoes, dress shoes,loafers, etc.
-POLO shirts

Why the hell are you wearing sunglasses while bench pressing
laugh.gif

Don't sing outloud dammit
elderly people, stop trying to copy my routine lol
dudes, try not to glance at other dudes like you want to rob them. That includes me
sidenote-I saw someone working out in pearl foams a while back. Just something ithought was cool

i go to ballys so almost everything i read here applies. dudes in flip flops. cholos in flannel shorts and house shoes. guys drying their nuts in the lockerroom on a daily basis. skinny dudes with gloves, straps, belts, everything.

you guys complain about the weights not being re-racked in the right spot, people at my gym dont re-rack them at all. i have had to walk around the whole gymlooking for missing dumbbells. its like people try to hide them or something.

place is always dirty. 20 people in the sauna in regular street clothes lathering themselves in baby oil laying down on the benches while other people have tostand. dudes come out of the sauna dripping in sweat and proceed to immediately jump in the pool that i swim laps in everyday.

dudes doing curls in the one and only squat rack at the gym. curls right in front of the rack so dudes cant access the only 3 dumbbells that happened to beracked that day.

i have to use the cable machine for most of my shoulder workouts because of torn shoulder ligaments. half the time i go to use it dudes are somehow doing curlson it totally ignoring the bicep cable machine.

i pay 9 dollars a month so i have to just laugh it all off. it makes me appreciate every other gym i have ever gone to though.

Don't use empty benches as a towel rack or something to leave your water bottle / cellphone while you're doing curls

smh.gif

maybe its just me but i hate when people be on the machines and using there cell phone

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Let people work in with you. If u see someone standin by your station waiting to use the weights, ask them if they want in...

that extra minute aint gonna kill ur work out
It does when gramps takes like 20 mins to do 15 reps of like the lightest weights
smh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

i go to ballys so almost everything i read here applies. dudes in flip flops. cholos in flannel shorts and house shoes. guys drying their nuts in the locker room on a daily basis. skinny dudes with gloves, straps, belts, everything.

you guys complain about the weights not being re-racked in the right spot, people at my gym dont re-rack them at all. i have had to walk around the whole gym looking for missing dumbbells. its like people try to hide them or something.

place is always dirty. 20 people in the sauna in regular street clothes lathering themselves in baby oil laying down on the benches while other people have to stand. dudes come out of the sauna dripping in sweat and proceed to immediately jump in the pool that i swim laps in everyday.

dudes doing curls in the one and only squat rack at the gym. curls right in front of the rack so dudes cant access the only 3 dumbbells that happened to be racked that day.

i have to use the cable machine for most of my shoulder workouts because of torn shoulder ligaments. half the time i go to use it dudes are somehow doing curls on it totally ignoring the bicep cable machine.

i pay 9 dollars a month so i have to just laugh it all off. it makes me appreciate every other gym i have ever gone to though.
Wow, which bally's do you go to?? cuz the ballys i go to is EXACTLY the way as you described it.

StarburyPtGod wrote:
Originally Posted by Durden7

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

Because they take all the plates.

Oh so youd like the person to do less weight so that you dont have to walk far to get another plate? What does the "doin it" comment have anythingto do with your reasonging then? If your gym only has enough plates for 800 lbs you need to find a new place.

That isnt gym etiquette. It's just you being greedy and belonging to a crappy gym.

If you are going to go to the gym with your girl, the only things you do together are cardio and abs, I seen a dude cuddlin with his girl on a bench in betweensets the other day. I felt like saying "treadmills and eliptical machines are over there"

I don't care if the place is on fire, don't tell me during my set. Don't say anything to me during a set.

Leaning back so your back is parallel to the floor is not a lat pulldown.

StarburyPtGod wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

Oh so youd like the person to do less weight so that you dont have to walk far to get another plate? What does the "doin it" comment have anything to do with your reasonging then? If your gym only has enough plates for 800 lbs you need to find a new place.

That isnt gym etiquette. It's just you being greedy and belonging to a crappy gym.

laugh.gif
You must be one of the guys putting up 800 on the leg press then. Don't get bent out of shape.

In regards to the "doin it" comment: If you're serious enough to spend all that time to load 800 lbs. on the leg press, you should put a fractionof that on a bar and do some squats. You get a better workout, save your time, and save others' time.

i hate it when people use the powder/chalk stuff at the gym
i mean, if you use it, at least clean up after you're done.
i could've swore Lebron was using the flat bench before me
laugh.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

StarburyPtGod wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

Oh so youd like the person to do less weight so that you dont have to walk far to get another plate? What does the "doin it" comment have anything to do with your reasonging then? If your gym only has enough plates for 800 lbs you need to find a new place.

laugh.gif
You must be one of the guys putting up 800 on the leg press then. Don't get bent out of shape.

In regards to the "doin it" comment: If you're serious enough to spend all that time to load 800 lbs. on the leg press, you should put a fraction of that on a bar and do some squats. You get a better workout, save your time, and save others' time.

I actually do not leg press, but what about the person who wants to work solely on their quadriceps and only that muscle group?

StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

In regards to the "doin it" comment: If you're serious enough to spend all that time to load 800 lbs. on the leg press, you should put a fraction of that on a bar and do some squats. You get a better workout, save your time, and save others' time.

I actually do not leg press, but what about the person who wants to work solely on their quadriceps and only that muscle group?

Figured you'd be the kind of person to defend leg presses/machine workouts.

Vancity74 wrote:
Durden7 wrote:
StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What the $!#+ does that mean?

Im not defending the leg press, im saying that coming into a gym etiquette thread and *****ing about someone doing a leg press workout is moronic. It'sobvious he's just pissed off because someone is using a lot of weights for an exercise and he's angry. It had nothing to do with gym etiquette at all.

i can't stand the guys that don't re-rack either..

and also the guys that have the trainer set up and put back their weights.

what are you doing lifting it if you can't get it and put it back?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Don't ask for a spot and then put on weight where the spotter needs to actually lift the last 2 or 3 reps.
laugh.gif

A spotter is there just in case the bar slips or you pass out or you can't lock out the last rep. The spotter's not there to actually help you lift the weight.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
My dude Antwan be doin that #++$....
I end up curlin like 300 lbs to get the weight up off his dumb $#*.
and this %%##@ be like "one more, One more" I just lift and rack it
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i know too many people who do this. like some of my friends will ask me to spot them and they'll throw on weight i know they can't do onceby themselves. ....really dude?

man this is probably not common but at my school gym, i've had a couple people nag me more than once when i'm benching about "hey dude how manymore sets? you gonna be done soon?" etc every five seconds (i don't take longer than anyone else) when there's other bench presses open.apparently the one i'm on happens to be "more comfortable."
indifferent.gif
dog really? use the other one.

sam dude who asked me this later asked me to spot him on cg bench and he was doing literally 1/4 ROM. clown.

Originally Posted by d0njaye

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

i go to ballys so almost everything i read here applies. dudes in flip flops. cholos in flannel shorts and house shoes. guys drying their nuts in the locker room on a daily basis. skinny dudes with gloves, straps, belts, everything.

you guys complain about the weights not being re-racked in the right spot, people at my gym dont re-rack them at all. i have had to walk around the whole gym looking for missing dumbbells. its like people try to hide them or something.

place is always dirty. 20 people in the sauna in regular street clothes lathering themselves in baby oil laying down on the benches while other people have to stand. dudes come out of the sauna dripping in sweat and proceed to immediately jump in the pool that i swim laps in everyday.

dudes doing curls in the one and only squat rack at the gym. curls right in front of the rack so dudes cant access the only 3 dumbbells that happened to be racked that day.

i have to use the cable machine for most of my shoulder workouts because of torn shoulder ligaments. half the time i go to use it dudes are somehow doing curls on it totally ignoring the bicep cable machine.

Wow, which bally's do you go to?? cuz the ballys i go to is EXACTLY the way as you described it.
beautiful montclair ballys. i think this might apply to other ballys in so cal as well though.

today i saw a couple making out in the pool. 4 kids in one lane playing games and another guy snorkeling in the "fast" swim lane

Vancity74 wrote:
Durden7 wrote:
StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

StarburyPtGod wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What the $!#+ does that mean?

Im not defending the leg press, im saying that coming into a gym etiquette thread and *****ing about someone doing a leg press workout is moronic. It's obvious he's just pissed off because someone is using a lot of weights for an exercise and he's angry. It had nothing to do with gym etiquette at all.

No one's angry except you. I was complaining about "serious lifters" (guys who put a ton of weight on the leg press) using up all the plates inthe leg section, taking a lot of time on the leg press away from less-serious lifters, and walking around the area acting like they're doing it. You reallygoing to defend these dudes?
laugh.gif
I bet you stop using that leg press now

StarburyPtGod wrote:
No one's angry except you. I was complaining about "serious lifters" (guys who put a ton of weight on the leg press) using up all the plates in the leg section, taking a lot of time on the leg press away from less-serious lifters, and walking around the area acting like they're doing it. You really going to defend these dudes?
laugh.gif
I bet you stop using that leg press now

I havent used the leg press in a year.

Im going to defend their right to do the leg press. How they act is their choice.

What youre complaining about simply has nothing to do with gym etiquette.

laugh.gif
This is about gym etiquette...

If the guy is doing a leg press, who cares how many plates he using just as long as he's actually working out...

This is actually a very helpful thread to the new gym heads... These threads always popped up, and it definitely helped me out when I first started at the gym.

Back
Top Bottom