H&M is under fire for racist hoodie

High street giant H&M has come under fire over a controversial advert for a children's top which shoppers have labelled 'racist'.

The Swedish fashion chain is selling a green hooded top on its UK and US websites emblazoned with the phrase 'Coolest Monkey in the Jungle'.

20180108_050550.png

The campaign group Models Of Diversity, which pushes for more diversification across the industry, said H&M should be 'ashamed'.

Other Twitter users were also quick to weigh in on the debate.

One wrote: 'Is this part of a publicity stunt? Do some brands want to be dragged on twitter in order to gain more visibility?'

Another added
"Wow. I mean, put it on a child of literally ANY other race. How did NO ONE consider this is inappropriate? Not the photographer, stylist, creative director, editor... I truly wonder if anyone raised a concern that was ignored or they are all just stupid.'

Others pointed out there appeared to be no racial undertones but asked whether there had been a significant 'oversight' in the advertising campaign.

One Twitter user wrote: 'Do you know that they’re not calling him a monkey? It’s just a jumper with the name ‘monkey’ on it, you’re making it racist.'

The online listing for the garment, which is made for children aged 18 months to 10 years, is still available to buy online but no longer features the image of the child model.

A spokesman for H&M told MailOnline: 'This image has now been removed from all H&M channels and we apologise to anyone this may have offended.'

Like I said, thinking they're slick (when they aren't slick).

curious to know where is that phrase originally from? what, is part of a theme? they can't be that dumb can they? :lol:

The picture displayed can't be argued... But that hoodie is by no means racist... Half of my 1 year old's outfits consist of monkys...

Having a monkey on a shirt isnt racist yes, but the text is “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle” which assumes whoever is wearing the hoodie would the the monkey. Plus having an African American as the model...yeah theres racist undertones. If the intention wasnt there fine, but someone shoudve been like eh idk about this one guys.

Having a monkey on a shirt isnt racist yes, but the text is “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle” which assumes whoever is wearing the hoodie would the the monkey. Plus having an African American as the model...yeah theres racist undertones. If the intention wasnt there fine, but someone shoudve been like eh idk about this one guys.

Basically this & then :lol: at the lil white kid modeling that survival expert hoodie

Shoulda just switched them around & they woulda been ok

But what I'm saying is that literally every company that makes baby clothing has a version of this... My kid has to have at least 15 different pieces of clothing with a monkey and a saying on it... That's just how baby clothes are... Again, the company and the advertising of the hoody is probably racist... But the hoody is not...

Back
Top Bottom