H&M is under fire for racist hoodie

But what I'm saying is that literally every company that makes baby clothing has a version of this... My kid has to have at least 15 different pieces of clothing with a monkey and a saying on it... That's just how baby clothes are... Again, the company and the advertising of the hoody is probably racist... But the hoody is not...

Youre grouping it into one thing though. Every situation is different.

One Twitter user wrote: 'Do you know that they’re not calling him a monkey? It’s just a jumper with the name ‘monkey’ on it, you’re making it racist.'

Curious as to who it's referring to then if it's not who's wearing it.

giphy.gif

that aint even an excuse "oh they didnt know"

if they dont know ask

hell hire a black person to proofread for racism then

But what I'm saying is that literally every company that makes baby clothing has a version of this... My kid has to have at least 15 different pieces of clothing with a monkey and a saying on it... That's just how baby clothes are... Again, the company and the advertising of the hoody is probably racist... But the hoody is not...
Why are we discussing the ITEM???????

And if they didn’t know or didn’t think of it, they should have. When you’re running a business like HM, who makes billions off young Black and Hispanic people, you should go out of your way to inform yourself. Not knowing it would be interpreted that way isn’t an excuse. All you can do is deal with the reaction.

But I haven’t ****ed with HM in years. Quality is trash, designs are uninspired or straight up jacks. They been dead to me, this is just the nail in the coffin.

Whole lot of soccer players in European leagues can confirm
Right.

Let a Nigerian squad play a team from Sweden, in Sweden, and I am sure they would know how to use the monkey word THEN.

Can't believe yall are trying the, "they didn't know" card.

Bull

So we're confirming whether or not other people in advertising made mistakes, or are we talking about the topic at hand?

****** wanna talk about cotton tees and a myriad of other advertising faux pas before we face the topic at hand.:lol:

Y'all ****** gotta get it together, man.

my whole thing is with the election of trump and outburst in charlottesville i think companies are going to start actively signaling to racist whites that they support them

not to say they havent before but where papa john was explicit in his condemnation of kaepernick companies will now seek ways like this to dog whistle

like while were mad about this hoodie barbie just made another 50 million off a muslim barbie

At some point...we're going to have to disassociate ourselves with "monkey" as some sort of a slur.

There's some sheer irony in that being an insult against us in the first place...but that's another story not for this time :lol:

Obviously this is tone def...especially considering the time we're in but there's another element to this beneath the surface. I'm even willing to go as far to say I believe this is a case of being intentionally tone def with the sole point of drumming up controversy. I'm finding everything that's so called "race" related ultimately comes down to desire to cast the term "racist" on that given action. After you apply the label...then what? H&M is "under fire" for a week and two and then we'll completely forget about this.

The picture displayed can't be argued... But that hoodie is by no means racist... Half of my 1 year old's outfits consist of monkys...

This

Still very stupid of whoever was in charge to put that up. Maybe these companies like the attention :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom