H1N1 FLU........UPDATE : Flu may be less potent than first feared (pg 32)

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by BTonNT

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Wow. Anybody watching CNN? "Swine Flu 'Pandemic Imminent"

I'm watching..... "All of humanity under threat under pandemic" , "heightened surveillance" mentioned...

maintain a healthy skepticism still. let's not buy into everything presented to us or thrown at us.

Thing is, it really is spreading..unlike the bird flu or SARS. What I want to know is how are the people being treated? What are they using?
Just like any other flu. Stay home, rest, liquids, etc. Those who had it recovered easily. If it is an infant, elderly person, or you have a badimmune system then theres a cause of concern. Otherwise, stay clean and treat it as any other time when you are sick and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/04/23/swine-flu.html

"We believe at this point that human-to-human spread is occurring,"

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm
2ihqu4g.gif

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

THE BABY DIED HERE(houston) BUT WAS BROUGHT HERE FROM MEXICO

Exactly. I love how they tried to make it out like it was a Texan baby.

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Another update: A school around my way is being shutdown due to a "flu". They want to clear out the illness, and make sure it's not the "Swine Flu".

My goodness, I'm gon' go buy a mask tomorrow.

R.IP

You will not be missed.

I know this is off topic but watching the president conference about the flu he was talking about gm and how he wants the government outta the autobusiness........the government already is in the banking business with the bailout correct? Could this be the government taking industries and putting themunder their control? Auto business what could be next? I'm just wondering could this be an example?

One swine flu case already confirmed in Nevada..
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

http://www.lasvegassun.co...jump-to-91-in-10-states/

[h1]Nevada gets swine flu case as state preps for possible outbreak[/h1] [h2]Health official: Girl is recovering from the H1N1 strain[/h2]

By Mary Manning, Cara McCoy

Published Wed, Apr 29, 2009 (8:39 a.m.)

Updated 2 hours, 21 minutes ago

Washoe County Health District officials confirmed Nevada's first case of swine flu this morning, as the World Health Organization raised its threatlevel for the second time this week.

A 2-year-old Washoe County girl is recovering from the H1N1 strain, and is not hospitalized, said Martha Framsted, spokeswoman for the Nevada State HealthDivision, which is working with Washoe County health officials. The girl is expected to recover, Framsted said.

"This is a marathon, not a sprint," Framsted said of the increasing cases of H1N1 flu in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control andPrevention said 91 cases of the new flu strain have been reported as of this morning.

Washoe County health officials said that another family member linked to the child also was ill. There is no immediate link to Mexico, where the virus wasfirst detected.

"This child did not have a travel history to Mexico or other communities," Dr. Randall Todd, Washoe County epidemiologist, said at a newsconference in Reno today. "The girl attends a day care. Literally, as we speak, my staff is discussing this with the day care center."

Gov. Jim Gibbons spoke before the media conference, saying Nevadans "need to have confidence that our health officials are on top of this and that theperson exposed to this is responding to medicine."

"We're well-prepared and doing the right thing, according to protocol," Gibbons said. "Every asset and every employee of the state isavailable to assist if needed."

McCarran International Airport has posted a travel advisory from the CDC on its Web site in both Spanish and English.

"People traveling from the United States to affected areas should be aware of the risk of illness with swine flu and take precautions," theadvisory warns.

Clark County Aviation Department spokesman Chris Jones said the airport is working in conjunction with other agencies, including the Transportation SecurityAdministration, Customs and Border Protection, and the Southern Nevada Health District to stay up-to-date on the situation.

"People need to make good decisions and look to the proper authorities for where they get their (travel) information," he said.

The Philippine health chief appealed to dozens of Filipino legislators to abandon plans to visit Las Vegas to cheer for boxing idol Manny Pacquiao - eventhough Las Vegas is more than 300 miles (480 kilometers) from the Mexican border.

Mike Willden, director of state's Health and Human Services Department, said this afternoon that the state is prepared to handle a potential outbreak ifadditional cases are reported in Nevada. He said the state already has an adequate stockpile of treatments available and will be receiving more from thefederal government.

"We've been in planning mode for years," Willden said.

The news of the Nevada case comes on the heels of the first reported death from the outbreak, a Mexico City toddler with "underlying healthissues" who traveled to Texas with family to visit relatives in the border city of Brownsville. The boy, who was 23 months old, died Monday night at aHouston hospital.

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control, confirmed the death during a media briefing this morning.

"A child has died from the H1N1 virus," he said. "As a parent and a pediatrician, my heart goes out to the family."

Until today, the U.S. government had known of outbreaks in five states, but new information from the CDC shows instances of the flu in five more:Massachusetts, Michigan, Arizona, Nevada and Indiana.

New York has 51 confirmed cases, most tied to a private academy whose students visited Mexico on spring break; Texas has 16; California has 14; Kansas hastwo; Massachusetts has two; Michigan has two; Arizona has one; Indiana has one; Ohio has one; and one confirmed case in Nevada.

Sixty four percent of the cases involve people under age 18, but patients range in age from 8 to 81, Besser said during the media briefing.

Border surveillance has been increased to actively look for cases of infection, he said. Swine flu is blamed for the deaths of at least 159 people in Mexicoand has sickened more than 2,498 people there.

In a conference call briefing hosted Tuesday by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Besser warned that the swine flu outbreak in the United States had thepotential to turn deadly.

Reid has said the federal government will assist states as they prepare for the flu to worsen. President Barack Obama is seeking $1.5 billion in emergencyfunds to prepare states for a worsening outbreak.

The incubation period for the U.S. cases is two to seven days, which, Besser said, "is typical for what you see with an influenza virus."

New testing indicates that the flu strain can be combated with two antiviral drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza, according to the latest edition of the CDC'sMorbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The new flu strain combines pig, bird and human viruses, raising concern among health officials that humans do not have immunity to the new virusstrain.

"The most recent illnesses and reported death suggest that a pattern of more severe illness associated with this virus may be emerging in theU.S.," Besser said today. "More cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths are expected in the coming days and weeks."

In a normal flu season, 36,000 people die from complications from the influenza virus every year, Besser said.

The virus has crossed new borders, now reported in the Middle East and the Asian-Pacific region, Canada, Austria, New Zealand, Israel, Spain, Britain andGermany.

I'm heading to Vegas for vacation around May 19th to the 24th. I wish every public health official in Nevada as well as in the country do their best incontaining this outbreak and preventing it from spreading further. No RIP responses thank you.

Egypt ordered the killing of ALL pigs in the country? Seriously... I feel like this is a movie right now. SMH

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Egypt ordered the killing of ALL pigs in the country? Seriously... I feel like this is a movie right now. SMH
It's not like they eat pigs...

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

The Philippine health chief appealed to dozens of Filipino legislators to abandon plans to visit Las Vegas to cheer for boxing idol Manny Pacquiao
Hatton has this
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 49ers650

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

The Philippine health chief appealed to dozens of Filipino legislators to abandon plans to visit Las Vegas to cheer for boxing idol Manny Pacquiao
Hatton has this
pimp.gif
beautiful avy
pimp.gif

hatton is garbage

Originally Posted by reigndrop

You're an idiot. Christians live in Egypt too. And just because they didn't eat them its okay to kill around 300,000 animals?

Smh, my hometown pittsburg, ca just got hit with the swine flu. A elementry school Heights got shut down because 3 kids have caught it.
Also I was talking to my girl who works at John Muir in Walnut Creek & she said there is 13 confirmed cases at the Hospital ranging from mild to moderate.
Honestly I did not care about this until it home. I just walked outside my work and saw 2 ladies wearing masks & that shiit freaked me out.

Whoever said "am I the only one not freaking out" or something like that, you def aren't. What are yall not understanding??? Every year, over200,000 people are hospitalized and hundreds die because of the regular flu, in the USA ALONE. The deaths have happened in areas where people don't getproper healthcare.

Whoever said "am I the only one not freaking out" or something like that, you def aren't. What are yall not understanding??? Every year, over 200,000 people are hospitalized and hundreds die because of the regular flu, in the USA ALONE. The deaths have happened in areas where people don't get proper healthcare.

i think the big scare isn't exactly the flu.. but the fact that it's being passed from animal to human then human to human. and it's spreading toofast for them to find a way to prevent it.

3 probable cases found down here in the Fort Worth, Texas area. All schools have been closed until further necessary procedures are taken.

[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]People were going nuts at my job...they made us use antibacterial hand sanitizer after everytransaction...next prolly will be gloves, then masks.....media must be having a field day, publicizing fear[/color]
smh.gif
[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]i swear whenever we start making good progress with life some #!*$@!%* happens to scare the mases *cough*CONSPIRACY *cough*[/color]

OMFG ... its @ Loyola University CHICAGO ... MY school .

smh.gif

This is getting crazy now .

Originally Posted by reigndrop

You're an idiot. Christians live in Egypt too. And just because they didn't eat them its okay to kill around 300,000 animals?
In the ladder of importance. Human > Animal. If this causes a pandemic, your going to have to rid the source. What is 300,000 pigs whenmillions of human lives are at stake.

maybe this has been mentioned but isnt there something like 30,000 deaths a year from various types of FLUs in the us? we need to do some better tests outthere. throw some placebos out there and make sure its not 99.9% mental with most of these people

Back
Top Bottom