Half a million millenial men are missing from the labor market

its not easy, but its definitely not impossible...i low-key don't even accept da premise of being "stuck" at a low wage job...
i used to work at retail for 10 years while going to school, one day i realized i aint ever gonna make money to reflect a lifestyle i aspired to have so i saved some money, got my CDL, all da endorsements, and leveled up.

not satisfied with that, i plan on getting my bachelor's in a couple of years after my associates was gotten, to balance me out be as employable as possible since i already have a extensive work experience history.
I agree, it's definitely not impossible. However, I think depending on your situation, the difficulty can exponentially increase. I'm not trying to knock you on this, but haven't you said you don't gotta worry about rent? If so, that's definitely in your favor if you're trying to develop new skills. I was tremendously fortunate when I was going through my career change. My company provided some tuition assistance, I was able to take days off for studying, and I still had a decent paying job.

For sure there are a lot of opportunities, but I think a lot of people don't get the chance to seek out those opportunities.

Also, good on you for pursuing your bachelor's. That's only going to help you in the long run.

Glad you’re doing good bro, I remember talking to you about getting into the industry a few years ago. You were actually about it and did it. :pimp:
Mannnnn best decision I made in recent memory. I’ve worked line haul a few times and it wasn’t really my favorite thing but the money is great, 1200-2000 a week. But I like my regular route in the city/local. Drive about a hour away, deliver and pick up **** while shooting the **** with the plant workers I deliver too, a lot of connections made and free ****. All while listening to pods, audio books or on the Bluetooth the whole day. And **** for what u making up there I might have to make a move to minny for $31 and a potential $3 raise.

So I'm a graphic designer. I kind of want to get a trade instead of another degree. Tips? Advice?

So I'm a graphic designer. I kind of want to get a trade instead of another degree. Tips? Advice?
I do graphic design too, you have a high post to SN ratio :lol:

If you haven't already I would check out The Futur youtube channel they have a bunch of great videos on how designers (and anyone really) can really maximize the money and value they create.

if you got a steady hand...apprenticeship to be a tattoo artist...dudes in da hood with marginal art skills CAKIN in da hood inkin up folks.

It is wild to me that dudes will call out everything under the sun for the current state of affairs in the labor market but will never call out corporations rent-seeking, market consolidation, the attacks on organized labor, weak labor laws, even weaker enforcement of the laws on the books depending the party holding the presidency, the fact we protect owners of capital above all else, the FED never try to get to full employment, and universities being underfunded partly to lower business taxes.

It is always a narrow focus on the believed failings of workers, and then educators.

People rather put down those to highlight that their struggles are their own fault and they aren't doing enough, yet give the institutions a pass when all they do is extort on so many levels. And it's usually the I did so you can too types.

People rather put down those to highlight that their struggles are their own fault and they aren't doing enough, yet give the institutions a pass when all they do is extort on so many levels. And it's usually the I did so you can too types.
If you are in a bad situation would you rather talk about what you can do to get a better life, or talk about why it’s all the cause of giant institutions that you have no control over? Which one of these is the more positive outlook? Which one of these will actually lead to your problem being solved?

If you are in a bad situation would you rather talk about what you can do to get a better life, or talk about why it’s all the cause of giant institutions that you have no control over? Which one of these is the more positive outlook? Which one of these will actually lead to your problem being solved?

You can easily do both

Mannnnn best decision I made in recent memory. I’ve worked line haul a few times and it wasn’t really my favorite thing but the money is great, 1200-2000 a week. But I like my regular route in the city/local. Drive about a hour away, deliver and pick up **** while shooting the **** with the plant workers I deliver too, a lot of connections made and free ****. All while listening to pods, audio books or on the Bluetooth the whole day. And **** for what u making up there I might have to make a move to minny for $31 and a potential $3 raise.

Yeah line haul would get old but it’s easy money.

The networking is key, that’s how I got my job now just talking to the mechanic when I was doing a delivery there.

It isn’t a bad state to make some money in that’s for sure, I work with hella people from Texas and Florida who came for that reason. The thing that kills it though is it isn’t a cheap place to live. All and all it’s good though. You aren’t gonna find too many jobs driving a dump truck or mixer for 31 an hour. They pay more in California and east coast but the cost of living there is more...

That’s good money though for a home daily job.

You can easily do both
The issue is people enjoy having a scapegoat for not being where they want to be. It’s easy to blame someone or something else and once you develop that mindset it will hold you back. Of course there are lots of institutional problems but that doesn’t mean there is no path to success. And if there is a path to success then it’s entirely on you to choose to take or not take that path.

Yeah line haul would get old but it’s easy money.

The networking is key, that’s how I got my job now just talking to the mechanic when I was doing a delivery there.

It isn’t a bad state to make some money in that’s for sure, I work with hella people from Texas and Florida who came for that reason. The thing that kills it though is it isn’t a cheap place to live. All and all it’s good though. You aren’t gonna find too many jobs driving a dump truck or mixer for 31 an hour. They pay more in California and east coast but the cost of living there is more...

That’s good money though for a home daily job.
That’s a B truck?

I'm in the carpenters apprenteship and honestly I hate it..you travel all over the place lugging tools around because you never know where your going day to day or who you are working for or if it's nightshift or daylight..theres no vacation no personal time no paid holidays..i think in a couple months when I get become a journeyman I'm finding something else..im 31 btw

I'm in the carpenters apprenteship and honestly I hate it..you travel all over the place lugging tools around because you never know where your going day to day or who you are working for or if it's nightshift or daylight..theres no vacation no personal time no paid holidays..i think in a couple months when I get become a journeyman I'm finding something else..im 31 btw
Jesus that’s tough man.

Currently working a contractor position for a pharma company. Been doing it for 4 years. Not full time employee. This **** sucks bruh. Never if they'll renew your contract or not smh. I'm looking for a full time position day and night.

Whoever said the recession screwed some over is right imo. Graduated in 2008 and I had to take whatever jobs were there and open.

Wow 4 years and full time offer? With that much experience can’t you apply somewhere and get a salaried full time position?

Currently working a contractor position for a pharma company. Been doing it for 4 years. Not full time employee. This **** sucks bruh. Never if they'll renew your contract or not smh. I'm looking for a full time position day and night.

Whoever said the recession screwed some over is right imo. Graduated in 2008 and I had to take whatever jobs were there and open.

They're gonna say you're not working hard enough

What do you do and where are you located? I may be able to help..

I work in eDiscovery, here's a quick explanation:
Electronic discovery (also called e-discovery or ediscovery) refers to any process in which electronic data is sought, located, secured, and searched with the intent of using it as evidence in a civil or criminal legal case.

yeah i work on the development side (biostat, programming, med writing, clinical, etc.), so unfortunately cant help much with that.
All good, thanks for trying. I'm sure something permanent will come soon. Either in this industry or another

essentially u can only control what your mind and body can wield... yourself is always a option 1st.

Yeah I graduated 2010 and things weren't smooth from jump, pretty much the dudes that graduated between 08-12 that didn't have that dad that plays golf with other higher ups etc. had issues and multiple studies say never recovered from the recession

Back
Top Bottom