Has the Jordan hype gone down?

"This"

Means what you said that i quoted is what i also think to be true.

I wish you dudes would stop mentioning Yeezy's as if they have anything to do with hurting sales. How many people are able to buy Yeezy's? much less how many stores in your area? You go to the mall and see 20 people with Yeezy's on?

That's like saying the DB13 hurt sells of the Aqua 8.

People on sneaker sites talk about Yeezy's more than people in the real world.

If Yeezy's were so in demand, wouldn't Adidas be doing better and at least catching Under Armour or Sketchers?

NT...Lebron's are sitting.
Real world...Lebron sold $300 million.

I wish you dudes would stop mentioning Yeezy's as if they have anything to do with hurting sales. How many people are able to buy Yeezy's? much less how many stores in your area? You go to the mall and see 20 people with Yeezy's on?

If Yeezy's were so in demand, wouldn't Adidas be doing better and at least catching Under Armour or Sketchers?

View media item 1817011

Hopefully the hype has gone down. As far as I can remember people always complained that Jordan's were too much $, people who could afford them got them with no problem & the ones who couldn't would always asked how much the shoes cost & when u told them they made that face of disgust. I remember walking in the mall back in 01 seeing royal,bred, neutral grey one 1's sitting on display for I think $80. I don't know when reselling became as big as it is now but it definitely changed the industry. But let's be real J's were never made for everyone to buy them. There's a reason dudes sold dope so they can go out & buy the shoes man. Instead of asking if the jordan hype has died down ask if the reselling market is adjusting to Nike's aggressive pricing & transitioning from most J's to celebrity collabed kicks.

Last edited:
People need to really stop equating sitting with sale #s and popularity. As mentioned above lebrons are always collecting dust yet there at the 300 million mark. Everyone cried about wanting the game to be like it was back in the day where you could walk into a store and pick up any release at any given time and resellers didn't exist. Well That literally happened overnight now Everyone says jb is dead, really? People complain no matter what. They even complain when a sneaker is easy to get and you can buy as many as you want. Enjoy what's going on and stop complaining about your pick up not being special enough. We got what we wanted.Nike got rid of bots, lines, people losing their lives, resellers and hurt feelings. Yet I'm still hearing complaints

Last edited:
People need to really stop equating sitting with sale #s and popularity. As mentioned above lebrons are always collecting dust yet there at the 300 million mark. Everyone cried about wanting the game to be like it was back in the day where you could walk into a store and pick up any release at any given time and resellers didn't exist. Well That literally happened overnight now Everyone says jb is dead, really? People complain no matter what. They even complain when a sneaker is easy to get and you can buy as many as you want. Enjoy what's going on and stop complaining about your pick up not being special enough. We got what we wanted.Nike got rid of bots, lines, people losing their lives, resellers and hurt feelings. Yet I'm still hearing complaints
I agree with everything you have stated. That being said, the argument is not over popularity or sale figures, but rather wearability. As one can easily see, the clothing trends of the urban youth has changed drastically over the years. Moreover, the Jordan retro sneaker does not fit with this said style—with exception of maybe the Jordan 1.   

The argument that Yeezy sneakers are surpassing the desirability of Jordan Retros is true for a couple of reasons, but the most prominent rationale is it fits with current fashion trends. 

So, do I think Jordan Retro sales will decline a minimal amount—yes. However, this will be a temporary decline as fashion trends often go in cycles. 

Last edited:

I agree with everything you have stated. That being said, the argument is not over popularity or sale figures, but rather wearability. As one can easily see, the clothing trends of the urban youth has changed drastically over the years. Moreover, the Jordan retro sneaker does not fit with this said style—with exception of maybe the Jordan 1.   

The argument that Yeezy sneakers are surpassing the desirability of Jordan Retros is true for a couple of reasons, but the most prominent rationale is it fits with current fashion trends. 

So, do I think Jordan Retro sales will decline a minimal amount—yes. However, this will be a temporary decline as fashion trends often go in cycles. 

if you can wear yeezy 950s and 750s with skinny jeans, then you can wear any retro jordan with skinny jeans

if you can wear yeezy 950s and 750s with skinny jeans, then you can wear any retro jordan with skinny jeans
To be fair, we're talking about sneakers not boots, so the 950's is not a fair comparison. As for the 750's, they fit perfectly inline with today's current fashion trend—which is not only about skinny jeans.

It's funny because "hype" only has any real context within the sneaker "community" which is such a small percentage of nikes sales. Which when you think about it makes sense as to why what people consider a limited sneaker is produced in smaller quantities. Not for hype purposes, not even because Nike wants to create a buzz, but because relative to the mainstream market the sneaker head market is that small. Hence why sneakers clearly targeted for sneakerheads like collabs and such are made in significantly smaller quantities. The Jordans that we talk about sitting like the low infrared 6s and The prostar 5s are exactly what I see on all the kids/teens and even adults feet at the mall, at the movies, and everywhere. I think sneakerheads are making noise about JB losing hype because they're all obsessed with exclusivity and trying to have something other people don't.

Lebron sales are different because they are a flagship performance basketball shoe. Most retros would perform horribly on court, in comparison. The demand for Lebrons is legitimately driven both by/for athletes and Lebron fans/collectors. Not to mention they are widely available and cws consistantly go on sale.

It's funny because "hype" only has any real context within the sneaker "community" which is such a small percentage of nikes sales. Which when you think about it makes sense as to why what people consider a limited sneaker is produced in smaller quantities. Not for hype purposes, not even because Nike wants to create a buzz, but because relative to the mainstream market the sneaker head market is that small. Hence why sneakers clearly targeted for sneakerheads like collabs and such are made in significantly smaller quantities. The Jordans that we talk about sitting like the low infrared 6s and The prostar 5s are exactly what I see on all the kids/teens and even adults feet at the mall, at the movies, and everywhere. I think sneakerheads are making noise about JB losing hype because they're all obsessed with exclusivity and trying to have something other people don't.

You are absolutely right, and its not just sneaker heads....human nature prefers exclusivity for the most part...for example why are diamonds preferred to other gemstones....because of what they are worth which is due to perceived rarity...not everyone can afford diamond jewelry...but imagine that you could mine those diamonds, and resell them....De Beers ain't letting that happen...they control that market..casual jewelry consumers wont care and tons of profit will be made off lower end jewelry...but there is a "diamond head" community and forums for them just like NT it's pretty crazy lol

I hate to say it but as much hate resellers get...the limited release cheaper retail sneaker getting snatched up and resold for profits is a huge part of perceived hype and desirability is perceived to be higher by the sneaker head who needs the pair for their collection..

Maybe JB is pulling the De Beers move and controlling their product and increasing profits in ways that your average brand will never attain....they can manipulate releases and limit **** randomly just to restock later once in a while and drop mass production the majority of the time to manage both the casual sneaker consumer and the sneaker head....

They are big enough to do that....other brands not so much...who here honestly thinks Yeezy's would be such a big deal if they were mass produced easy cop...if the market was flooded people wouldnt pay so much attention...which for branding its often image that is more important than profits...

Same philosophy applies to everythingto a certain extent ....cars, watches, clothing, even real eatate

Maroons sitting are you serious???? It hasn't even been half a day or even 3 hours!! The meaning of the word sitting had changed from not selling out in a few days to not selling in minutes, wow

Depends on the location (city, country). In Germany, the carmines and black / infareds sold out quickly. But the sport blues and maroons sit/sat.

Well, I'm a hard core air jordans collector since 1996 and i like it that the hype cools off. Don't want too many teens who don't watch nba and not knowing Michael Jordan rock the same shoes like i do XD
Also the reselling game for jordans would cool off too.

Well, I'm a hard core air jordans collector since 1996 and i like it that the hype cools off. Don't want too many teens who don't watch nba and not knowing Michael Jordan rock the same shoes like i do XD

If you've been a collector since 96 youre way too old to care about what teenagers are wearing. Besides like this thread has already mentioned "Hype" going down doesn't mean jordan are becoming less popular or that sales are going down. Everyone everywhere is still going to be wearing Jordan's. Theres just a lot more to go around.

i to grew up a hard core Chicago bulls MJ fan,before my mom even consider buying me my first pair,which were Carolina 10s, after seeing  MJ play in all those classic silhouettes on court an the "is  it the shoes" commercial ads.  from then on sneakers with a specific love for AIR JORDANS,  has always been my passion. before the lines,camp outs, raffles,bots and hype, so seeing the hype die down imo is a good thing,so that real fans,collectors and enthusiast can purchase the sneakers they truly love an want to acquire ,the people that chase hype,fads or trends usually die out an move on to the next big thing,while we that really love the shoe will always be here, we all were once kids so iam not totally  against the new generation getting into shoes or Jordan's if that's what they "truly love" an not just adding to the hype train.back in the days you could be one of the few kids in school or on the block with the newest kicks an not see them everywhere  or everybody with them on.its a different day, to avoid rocking what everybody else does, i just wear my older kicks an save newer releases for later when most people have beaten theirs up,or ready to sell em an move on to the next,either that or stop buying jordan's,cause they will always be everywhere.

I used to idolize MJ and want to be like him when I was younger. Once I learned about the man he really is, I stopped caring about the stuff he actually wore.

I just buy shoes I like now regardless if it's OG or not.

That " XD " Facebook face, has led me to believe that you are in fact lying and you are 12 years old.

I used to idolize MJ and want to be like him when I was younger. Once I learned about the man he really is, I stopped caring about the stuff he actually wore.

I just buy shoes I like now regardless if it's OG or not.

Word, always loved MJs game and been a fan of the shoes, but never really cared for MJ the person LOL.

Repped you both for truth....

As great as he was on the court his personality was essentially the polar opposite . I sometimes wonder how MJ would be perceived in today's polarizing sports media .

Last edited:
The bubble burst.

The "new sneakerhead" culture was at its height around 2011-2013 (The rise of IG). JB and Nike made way too many corny color ways to frequently. Especially foams. Cheaper alternatives like huaraches became popular again. Designer sneakers also have risen in popularity. Things were bound to go back to the norm.

Instagram is slowly losing popularity as well...another factor.

No one ever said he did...LOL
Exactly. My point is just that I separated the "want to be like Mike" from my purchases and it's helped me just buy what I like now. I don't have the "Mike wore it so I need it" mentality anymore.

I have just grown tired of paying the price points that they keep raising. They keep increasing the prices and the quality keeps getting worse. I can buy Bron's or air maxes that are 100x more comfortable for the same price and sometimes cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom