Has the Jordan hype gone down?

Here is what I think 2016 holds and the trends we'll start to see:

1) The term "sitting" will only apply to those Jordans that have less "hype," less demand, and are among those colorways that are the least popular (i.e., MTM 7s, Statue 9s, Sweater 7s, 1.5s, Aqua 8s to a certain extent, etc).

In my opinion, a shoe that is "sitting" should be classified as a shoe that either a) ends up at the outlets, b) can be found on the shelves of FTL, FNL, Jimmy Jazz, etc for at least a month before selling out, or b) widely available for online purchase at numerous websites well over two weeks after release date.

2) Grails such as OG colorways that will have Nike Air on them (WC 4s, Military 4s, Flu Game 12s, etc) or any pair of 11s or any pair of remastered OG 1s, will sell out much quicker in store on online, and they may even sell out instantly within minutes. HOWEVER, because Jordan Brand and Nike are mass producing them now, it will be easier for consumers to double up or find other avenues to purchase these pairs. More shops and retailers will be able to carry large quantities and multiple FSR's. The term "limited" will no longer be the case with most releases and I think the only pairs that will be limited are "special exclusive limited edition" type kicks such as Pinnacle series, Doernbecher, and other special collabs.

3) All in all, the strategy for Jordan Brand was to take a stronghold of the overall profit share, and a large part of this plan was to eradicate the RESELLER market for new releases. Notice I said "new releases." The ONLY re-selling market that will gain traction is for older hard-to-find releases that have gained value over time.

I hope the decreased hype decreases violence and deaths over these shoes. That's a bigger plus than shoes sitting.
I agree. I think part of JB's plan to mass produce in order to have supply meet demand was their reaction to public pressure and gov't pressure as a result of the violence and deaths over Jordan releases.

footlocker still have them too. consumers must be fed up with the $220 price tag.

footlocker still have them too. consumers must be fed up with the $220 price tag.

To be honest, it's not a hot colorway either. It's a color that would have been more "desired" if it dropped in lower numbers. Off white/maroon isn't a popping color.

To be honest, it's not a hot colorway either. It's a color that would have been more "desired" if it dropped in lower numbers. Off white/maroon isn't a popping color.
well, at least the people that want them can buy them with ease. 

Agreed. Everything being limited was getting on my nerves. It's a genius move by Nike to have enough for everyone.

Agreed. Everything being limited was getting on my nerves. It's a genius move by Nike to have enough for everyone.

nothing really genius about mass producing these 6s. it's a holiday release and all holiday releases are mass produced.

nothing really genius about mass producing these 6s. it's a holiday release and all holiday releases are mass produced.

Who says it's only about the 6s? Before correcting me, think a bit.... Like yea, JB has been mass producing most retros this year

]
I bet y'all (maybe even me too) be mad when the white cement 4s don't sit. If they do I will really genuinely be shocked.

I actually don't think those will sit

So versatile and IVs

Aquas and Maroons different

Last edited:
JB $200 price point is keeping many away like myself....I said it 2011 , 2013 and now... $200 is really pushing JB. LOL you're basically almost buying an XBOX every time you buy a shoe now....sticking with my retro discounts and feeding my habit $73 command forces and$50 tech challenge s [emoji]128523[/emoji]

JB $200 price point is keeping many away like myself....I said it 2011 , 2013 and now... $200 is really pushing JB. LOL you're basically almost buying an XBOX every time you buy a shoe now....sticking with my retro discounts and feeding my habit $73 command forces and$50 tech challenge s [emoji]128523[/emoji]

No doubt you're right 220 plus tax got them sitting in my state

NY prob different

I believe its a combination of everything everyone is stating.

They see what resellers are making, so potential business strategy could look something like this:

Production cost per shoe = $50 (im sure its much less)
If produce 500,000 and sell out for $160-50
110 profit x 500000 = 55 million net profit
If they increase production to a million shoes and raise price to $220 - same $50 cost but still only sell 500,000 could look like this:
170 profit x 500000 = 85 million
Subtract unsold inventory
50 cost x 500000 = 25 million
Net profit is more at 60 million, resellers are cut out, and they have 500,000 more potential sales.

Hope I didn't fudge the numbers and i made sense here lol...

Last edited:
This just makes me more selective. Now I will just focus on OG colorways and leave it at that. Maybe 2 pairs of sneakers for me each year now.

This just makes me more selective. Now I will just focus on OG colorways and leave it at that. Maybe 2 pairs of sneakers for me each year now.
pretty much. i think i have most of the OG cw for the models that i want already tho. after the blk/red xii i'm done. unless my 03 blk/wht xii falls apart and they decide to retro them again or if they redo the jumpman on the left shoe on the concords and blk/red XIs.

pretty much. i think i have most of the OG cw for the models that i want already tho. after the blk/red xii i'm done. unless my 03 blk/wht xii falls apart and they decide to retro them again or if they redo the jumpman on the left shoe on the concords and blk/red XIs.

2016 for me is the white cement IV's and black metallic V's. Beyond those 2 I have no other interest in JB.

I believe its a combination of everything everyone is stating.

They see what resellers are making, so potential business strategy could look something like this:

Production cost per shoe = $50 (im sure its much less)
If produce 500,000 and sell out for $160-50
110 profit x 500000 = 55 million net profit
If they increase production to a million shoes and raise price to $220 - same $50 cost but still only sell 500,000 could look like this:
170 profit x 500000 = 85 million
Subtract unsold inventory
50 cost x 500000 = 25 million
Net profit is more at 60 million, resellers are cut out, and they have 500,000 more potential sales.

Hope I didn't fudge the numbers and i made sense here lol...

Yea, I believe Nike is also still experimenting with how to police re-sellers buying their products using bots.

2016 for me is the white cement IV's and black metallic V's. Beyond those 2 I have no other interest in JB.
i'll try the iv, but not a must have for me. believe it or not the 1-4 are the ones that i never got into. probably because i only started watching MJ when he already wore the V.

Last edited:
Yea, I believe Nike is also still experimenting with how to police re-sellers buying their products using bots.

Yea I think once the so call cart sellers came into play that's when they started this raffle thing. I think the word sitting has went a little overboard but my opinion. Rather its a reseller, sneakerhead, collectors etc. going to get the shoe but seems like people depending on the masses. Lol the masses which they not going to do the research like the people in this forum. The masses or hypebeast whatever you want to call them are lazy and won't even know anything about maroons until they see a line or the shoe on the shelves. Shoot I seen people buy aqua 8s for $250 in local Botiques because they thought the shoe was sold out but too lazy to call or go to the mall.

Nike/JB brand be alright, rather the shoe sellout on release day, that night, next week, next month or next year

Last edited:
It's funny this thread was started. I literally have been thinking about this the last few days.

Based on observation, the last few "anticipated" retro releases—i.e. Aquas—have been sitting or haven't sold out as quickly as they did in the past. That being said, the true test to this diminished hype in Jordan retros will be the XI release next week. If this particular release does not sell out, then it is safe to say the hype is gone or at least temporally.

My theory on this diminished hype: The current fashion trend is demanding tighter, less bulkier shoes. Hence, why the Jordan I still tends to sell out. 

Last edited:
My theory on this diminished hype: The current fashion trend is demanding tighter, less bulkier shoes. Hence, why the Jordan I still tends to sell out. 

This

It's just my theory, I never said it was definitive. It just seems most plausible to me at the moment.

Reason: I am a college student in NYC, and I constantly analyze the clothing and shoes other students are wearing. All of the sneakers worn are much tighter looking—similar to that of the Jordan I. 

EDIT: My apologies @sckid20. I thought you were disputing the proposed theory. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom