HBCUs... Anybody ever attended/attending one?

what are they like?

i used to live in Houston, but i RARELY visited TSU...

and all thru college, i've went to majority white/mexican colleges.

soooooo....

what's it like?

i mihgt be hittin one up next fall. my ace goes there, and we're both going to be hoopin for the team.

he's an alpha, too. i know that matters in those HBCUs, right?

just wondering....

lemme know somethin, fambs.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

hbcu's are cool i guess, i wouldn't attend one.

i'm black and an alpha.

i already got my business degree from TX A&M...

i'm just going here to get a second business degree, and get my MBA crackin...

and play my last year of college ball.

I graduated from Dillard University. If I had to do it again, I would of not attended a HBCU school. Unless it was like a graduate school (Medical, Law).

You're more likely to have a greater network at a diverse school.

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...

Originally Posted by Wr

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...
I totally agree.

Originally Posted by ricky409

i'm black and an alpha.

what the hell happened to David Devezin?

Originally Posted by Wr

30t6p3b.gif
So much truth.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by ricky409

i'm black and an alpha.

what the hell happened to David Devezin?

lmao... HELL naw i wasnt at college station.

i think DD fell off... went to some smaller school and then tried his thing over seas...

lil homey had some bounce...

i'm nice, but that nice...

although i did ice that lil small 2 guard in highschool... forgot his name... we both graduated in 07, though.

i got my from a branch... but i got in good w/ the dean and what not, and postponed my gradution from the branch, and will be from the one in college station.  

i finished ALL my classes, and completely done w/ the cirriculum, but didnt walk so i could get a scholly from the NAIA...

it was a fluid situation... but i found a loophole in the system.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i went to TSU, didn't like it
my main gripe was just how disorganized everything was when it came

to money and schedules and some safety issues.  I didn't live on campus

and didn't really stay around there that much, so I can't speak on the dorm life there.

I went to Hampton U. in VA. Extremely pretentious, lazy administration, substandard facilities.. yet, a featured a sizable endowment. Bewildering.

The females were ridic, and you get endless cheeks from the opposite sex just for attending(sounds stupid, but true). Poster above stated accurately.. they usually get by on reputation and seemingly lag behind other institutions in many respects.

Unless you plan to work at BET I strongly advise you not to attend a HBCU.  As stated earlier, these schools are stuck in the past and they aren't a real indication on what it is and the people you will have to work with in the real world.

I didnt but my dad went to Morgan State in Baltimore. He told my sister not to go to an HBC when we were applying at colleges.

I'd only consider going to one of the top 4-5 HBCU's because after that it gets pretty dreadful in most cases.

I attend a "top 3 HBCU" and I love it, but to each his own..

I did half my college at a small (1000), overwhelming majority white, all male Southern college and the other half at a a medium sized black school.

There are significant differences between the 2. Generally, academically, the average HBCU isn't up to par with most PWI's. Administratively, they are a good ways behind PWI's.

College is like anything else in life, you get out what you put in.

I can say that I'm glad I went where I went. If you aren't an idiot, you should have pretty decent grades.

There are some definite advantages going to an HBCU. I know at my school, they had a program with USDA where some science majors went through the program, graduated, got an automatic job with USDA, and that included a nice chunk of scholarship money.

If you plan on going to graduate school, an HBCU is probably on par with a lot PWI's. Admissions offices are looking for diversity, not just in terms of race and sex, but also geographical location and schools. Plus realistically, if an employer is looking to 'diversify' would it be easier to go to a white school and hope to find minorities or go to a black school? I scored an internship with the National Park Service because of that.

I agree. Don't go to one if you don't have to. I'm in my last year at FAMU and I hate it. The administration sucks, the area sucks, and a lot of the students suck
laugh.gif
Nah but I'd
recommend a PWI, I have plenty of friends at FSU and from what I've seen it's very diverse there and you'll be able to interact with lots of different races. Don't go to an HBCU if you
don't have to fam.

I think it bad to attend for college I went to St Johns its good 2 get a mix of people because thats who you are going to deal with in the work force and it helps build better connections...they are good 2 visit tho especially being im from new york the NY swag closed quick deals when I visited
wink.gif

never seen so many closed minded people at the hbcu's i've visited. With that said, there may be some good ones out there but I just wasn't feeling the ones in NC

theres only like 8 that i'll cosign and if you're going to those it better be for one of their better programs

I didn't actually go to one (went do a good mix of black/white college), just visited a few of them, and have some friends that went to a few
of them. But I would NOT base any views of HBCU's on Texas Southern. That is a sesspool and in 20 years or so they will be bought out/taken
over by University of Houston. Howard was the main one I wanted to go to if I was gonna go to one. I remember back in high school this girl
asked me if I was gonna go to a HBCU, and I said no cause "the world isn't an HBCU". Still applies 6 years later.

I thought TSU was already bout out by Texas a & m like 6 years back.

I had never heard anything like that, I had just been seeing out much property U of H had been buying that basically surrounds
TSU. You can see the U of H flags and stuff everywhere, and you can barely tell that TSU is even there until you get right up to it.

Back
Top Bottom