HBCUs... Anybody ever attended/attending one?

Got my Bachelor and Masters Degree from FAMU. I love FAMU and it made me become a better man. Only the strong survive LOL. FAMU can test your patience specifically Financial Aid. Some of faculty can be rude but every school has that problem. We have a plethora of different races at our school, just isn't black folk. It was a culture shock when I was up there my freshman year. Going to FAMU was one of the best decisions I ever made. Had some good times up there.

http://www.theweeklychall...0137&sID=13&ItemSource=L

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

hbcu's are cool i guess, i wouldn't attend one.

i'm black and an alpha.

i already got my business degree from TX A&M...

i'm just going here to get a second business degree, and get my MBA crackin...

and play my last year of college ball.
what the hell happened to David Devezin?

lmao... HELL naw i wasnt at college station.

i think DD fell off... went to some smaller school and then tried his thing over seas...

lil homey had some bounce...

i'm nice, but that nice...

although i did ice that lil small 2 guard in highschool... forgot his name... we both graduated in 07, though.

i got my from a branch... but i got in good w/ the dean and what not, and postponed my gradution from the branch, and will be from the one in college station.  

i finished ALL my classes, and completely done w/ the cirriculum, but didnt walk so i could get a scholly from the NAIA...

it was a fluid situation... but i found a loophole in the system.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thumbs up (or Gig' em). I just finished my Masters here at TAMU (College Station) this summer.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

, and I said no cause "the world isn't an HBCU". Still applies 6 years later.

I get this but a lot of people don't grow up in all black environments and have lived in "diversity" their whole life. Maybe they go to an HBCU to get that black experience while also getting a degree.

Graduated from FAMU (recently voted one of the best schools in the Southeast by the Princeton review), and I couldn't imagine graduating from any other school in all honesty.

i go to lincoln univ(PA)...cant stand it
30t6p3b.gif
im in my 3rd year and im strongly considering transferring to College Park. as someone mentioned before
im black if it matters. could go into further detail but im not in the mood to drop a rant on this 

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

The ignorance being spewed in here is amazing.

ok.... care to make a point? Or do you not have one?

Originally Posted by toast1985

Graduated from FAMU (recently voted one of the best schools in the Southeast by the Princeton review), and I couldn't imagine graduating from any other school in all honesty.

Toast how challenging are the academics and how are the females looking down there?

I graduated from an HBCU in NC...my state is known for HBCU's and some of the best colleges overall. I enjoyed my experience and if you’re a black person in high school I would strongly consider going to one because the environment is like no other that you've been around probably. I don't understand the hate for an HBCU especially if you’re a person of color, go and witness firsthand the homecomings, girls, and just total acceptance for the most part. There's no division like that, and the only division may come from fraternities and sororities but that's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by toast1985

Toast how challenging are the academics and how are the females looking down there?
Proud Rattler
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

The ignorance being spewed in here is amazing.

ok.... care to make a point? Or do you not have one?
I do and have made it in similar threads to this one, but I dont feel like stating it again to be honest, because most people on here seem to wanna argue first and actually comprehend what i say second.

I went to private school all my life. Attended Morgan State in Baltimore & I'm a Omega man(and Que depending on the day.....). All the resting on laurels happens even at HWI(historically white institutions). Some of you are making excuses. It's what YOU as an individual take away from the experience. But for grad, I'm going to a HWI.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by Peep Game

, and I said no cause "the world isn't an HBCU". Still applies 6 years later.

I get this but a lot of people don't grow up in all black environments and have lived in "diversity" their whole life. Maybe they go to an HBCU to get that black experience while also getting a degree.

Oh yea I definitely agree with that, I just think a lot of people either don't talk about that, or it gets casually overlooked.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

I graduated from an HBCU in NC...my state is known for HBCU's and some of the best colleges overall. I enjoyed my experience and if you’re a black person in high school I would strongly consider going to one because the environment is like no other that you've been around probably. I don't understand the hate for an HBCU especially if you’re a person of color, go and witness firsthand the homecomings, girls, and just total acceptance for the most part. There's no division like that, and the only division may come from fraternities and sororities but that's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Perhaps it was just the one I attended.. but the acceptance is a misconception.  Segregation and hate still exists in these arenas.. it's just realized in the form of the elite black folks, pitting themselves vs the non-elites/poorer.  The lighter skinned vs the darker.. its many times subtle.. often times.. not.

Graduated from NC A&T in 2010.... Glad to have had my hbcu experience if I could do it all over again I would although I would suvgest hitting a PWI immediately after grad. Academically there was no way I was ready for the real world.

Graduated from NC A&T in 2010.... Glad to have had my hbcu experience if I could do it all over again I would although I would suvgest hitting a PWI immediately after grad. Academically there was no way I was ready for the real world.

Originally Posted by marmourjr

Originally Posted by Wr

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...
I totally agree.

Yup.. Still got love for my Afro's w/ sad priorities though.. I'm all AGGIE...
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by sneakaprince
What's good boss. Undergrad '09..

I graduated from an HBCU in NC...my state is known for HBCU's
Yea, its like 30 in a 5 mi radius..

I graduated from an HBCU. I would have to disagree with what that poster above said about most HBCUs still being based on farming or agriculture. Fact is that a large percentage of black professionals graduated from HBCUs. Overall, each HBCU is different, like any school they have their positives and negatives, but it's a really unique experience and worth it if you can put up with some of the bs that comeS with it

The first school I applied to/ was accepted to was university of alabama, but I wanted to go to an hbcu so I chose stillman college which was down the street. If I could do it again, I would have chosen ua. Hbcus are more of a close knit "family" feel, but your best opt is to attend a pwi with an hbcu in the same city

Originally Posted by 2b1ASK1

Originally Posted by marmourjr

Originally Posted by Wr

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...
I totally agree.

Yup.. Still got love for my Afro's w/ sad priorities though.. I'm all AGGIE...
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by sneakaprince
What's good boss. Undergrad '09..

I graduated from an HBCU in NC...my state is known for HBCU's
Yea, its like 30 in a 5 mi radius..

n man u already know AGGIE pride bro.....I'm surprised NT is so against hbcus they easily have a better social scene for blacks I'm in Ohio now n it pale sin comparison to A&T life

I don't see why you'd want to. I wouldn't wanna go to a school that has a huge majority of any race.

sneakaprince wrote:
n man u already know AGGIE pride bro..... I'm surprised NT is so against hbcus they easily have a better social scene for blacks I'm in Ohio now n it pale sin comparison to A&T life
Easier scene but less diversity.. I usually talked to the old school faculty b/c those are still the ones that want to see African American's succeed and came through with networks, these new breed cats are only on the ticket if it fits their bill.. And like some dude said before if its not in the top 7/8..ehhh, i'll pass.

As far as HBCU's for Ohio, I believe we have the oldest one being Wilberforce U, others are wack, so like you said 'pale'.. where you at in the state yo?

Back
Top Bottom