HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Originally Posted by juggy4805

Kung Fu Panda on my Samsung LCD . Hoping it lasts forever.

Panny...

1cb3506eeae65d9d9a4ecb6ae155590f1a30040.jpg

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Panny...

1cb3506eeae65d9d9a4ecb6ae155590f1a30040.jpg
Looks pretty good. I need a better camera to get the details better. I'm guessing you got the Panny Plasma. In my picture the detail in thewhite fur is totally lost.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

I was surfing AVS forums when I came across these pictures of people's home theater set ups with LED lights behind their plasma.

I think it looks sick.
pimp.gif

Once I get my new plasma I am going to try and figure out how to set something like this up. Any of you guys have an LED lighting set up like this? If yes, was it tough to set up and how expensive was it?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424

I think they are only $40 dollars in store
pimp.gif
. might have to do that too.
Word... I think I might go for the first ones you listed.

I'm assuming for set up you just plug it in and then use electrical tape to attach it to the back of your tv.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

OK I'm seeing plasma but can I do this with LCD?
nerd.gif
I'm pretty sure you can do it with any type of TV. I remember reading that a guy had it set up with a DLP. But seeing that you have an LCD, really there's not too much of a difference in size/shape between that and a Plasma.

My TV area setup should be coming into form by this weekend. I just copped the monoprice.

I can't wait until these get in.... This weekends sporting events should be awesome.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You posting pics?
pimp.gif

smh.gif
My Panasonic Plasma is on its last legs...

Last nite it went all haywire... I think its the pixel orbiter. its flashings different parts of the screen at different times in different places on the screen ...

I got it in 2003, so I guess it was pretty good run. *shrugs*
You got about 10 TVs don't you?
laugh.gif

I can't wait until we get our next TV next year.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

is a VGA cable the same as RGB?
bump.
oh and the TV has laptop has a hdmi port so can I use that to connect it to the TV? The box says it uses RGB so yeah that goes back to my OG question too

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Just got off the phone with my pops, told me his TV died last night, and he has been thinking about mounting one for awhile anyway.

Downside is that the TV will be near windows, so plasma is out automatically.

I found this one from best buy , and it comes with a free Blu-ray player.
Another one I found from amazon.

Price is not a huge factor, just nothing to ridiculous, right around or under a $1000.

Any brands to stay away from? Or to lean towards?

Thanks
Anyone???

Just got off the phone with my pops, told me his TV died last night, and he has been thinking about mounting one for awhile anyway.

Price is not a huge factor, just nothing to ridiculous, right around or under a $1000.

Thanks
Anyone???

Do the research here. They do great reviews. http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=leftColumnArea1.0

Thanks
Anyone???

I like the Samsung but I'd def look around a bit more.

Picked up those Dioder lights from Ikea yesterday. I just propped them up behind my current 37" LCD to see how it looks and it's pretty cool.
pimp.gif

The PS3 came in from Amazon yesterday as well, but they sent me out an empty boy that was supposed to have the second controller in it.
smh.gif

My new plasma is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I see on the tracking that it has already got to Raleigh. Maybe I'll get it delivered a day early.
nerd.gif

I don't have a digital camera, but my roomate has an iphone, so I might be able to take some pictures with that to post when I have it all set up andmounted.

My parents picked up a 50" Samsung plasma today... Short story it was returned same day.

The sound was atrocious on the set! I seriously don't know why you guys hype up Sammy's so much. It sounds like the speakers are in a tunnel. No matterwhat I helped change the settings to, it sounded like @!$.

They returned it for a 50" Panny
pimp.gif

Am I the only one that noticed that? When we got there to exchange, the dude was like why don't you just buy a surround system? I'm like weshouldn't have to spend another $300 to get an already $1000+ set to sound normal.
indifferent.gif
to that @!$ clown and his hustle.

Yes surround systems are nice, but my parents were simply looking for a replacement set for there SDTV Rear Projection Sony that crapped out after 12 years
eek.gif

Originally Posted by nnarum

My parents picked up a 50" Samsung plasma today... Short story it was returned same day.

The sound was atrocious on the set! I seriously don't know why you guys hype up Sammy's so much. It sounds like the speakers are in a tunnel. No matter what I helped change the settings to, it sounded like @!$.

They returned it for a 50" Panny
pimp.gif

Am I the only one that noticed that? When we got there to exchange, the dude was like why don't you just buy a surround system? I'm like we shouldn't have to spend another $300 to get an already $1000+ set to sound normal.
indifferent.gif
to that @!$ clown and his hustle.

Yes surround systems are nice, but my parents were simply looking for a replacement set for there SDTV Rear Projection Sony that crapped out after 12 years
eek.gif
He's right and he wasnt even trying to hustle you. Why didn't you just buy a surround sound. I know yall didnt expect for the sound to beground breaking or even that good at all.especially movies.

He's right and he wasnt even trying to hustle you. Why didn't you just buy a surround sound. I know yall didnt expect for the sound to be ground breaking or even that good at all.especially movies.

Originally Posted by dabossofbosses

He's right and he wasnt even trying to hustle you. Why didn't you just buy a surround sound. I know yall didnt expect for the sound to be ground breaking or even that good at all.especially movies.

No, my point is that it sounded HORRIBLE. Like listening to someone inside of a tunnel. The bass and treble were awful. No matter what tweaking Idid, it didn't get much better. And some channels were really low in volume where others were loud and scratch. Maybe I'm just not familar withSamsungs and I missed something, but my Panny and the parents Panny doesn't sound like that at all.

Sure the video side on the Samsung plasma might've been a little better than the Panny, but the Panny is overall a better set IMO. Ease of use withfeatures and menu, way better sound, and better remote as well. Come on Samsung, quit putting headphone speakers in your high end sets... You're betterthan that!

No, my point is that it sounded HORRIBLE. Like listening to someone inside of a tunnel. The bass and treble were awful. No matter what tweaking I did, it didn't get much better. And some channels were really low in volume where others were loud and scratch. Maybe I'm just not familar with Samsungs and I missed something, but my Panny and the parents Panny doesn't sound like that at all.

Sure the video side on the Samsung plasma might've been a little better than the Panny, but the Panny is overall a better set IMO. Ease of use with features and menu, way better sound, and better remote as well. Come on Samsung, quit putting headphone speakers in your high end sets... You're better than that!

I see what you saying but no HDTV should be played on them stock speakers that are coming from the TV. Its like watching regular TV channels on aHDTV or not having a HD box or watching Bluerays on a Tube TV. You cant really expect much at all
laugh.gif

This thread kind of died... Anyone pick up a set for X-Mas? Or any other home theater gear?

picked up a panasonic 26" for my room

picture is ok, its thick as hell tho (no %$*%), i was suprised at how big the tv was

but whatever, its an upgrade from my 19" tv

No, my point is that it sounded HORRIBLE. Like listening to someone inside of a tunnel. The bass and treble were awful. No matter what tweaking I did, it didn't get much better. And some channels were really low in volume where others were loud and scratch. Maybe I'm just not familar with Samsungs and I missed something, but my Panny and the parents Panny doesn't sound like that at all.

Sure the video side on the Samsung plasma might've been a little better than the Panny, but the Panny is overall a better set IMO. Ease of use with features and menu, way better sound, and better remote as well. Come on Samsung, quit putting headphone speakers in your high end sets... You're better than that!

nnarum, was the sammy a 550?

Originally Posted by brian to the b

Anyone have the Sony HT-CT100? Thinking about getting it for my room.

I've had the unit since last Christmas, and really enjoy it. I have it paired in my living room with a Panasonic 42'' plasma. It's a greatset-up for an apartment or a small house. It has a fairly good sound field for a "virtual-surround" unit, as long as you aren't really expecting5.1 sound to come out of it. The thing I like about the unit it that it decodes the new HD codecs and converts them to PCM, makes a big difference in terms ofhow much I enjoy BRD audio. Also, it's LOUD. Some reviews on avsforums.com have said it's not loud enough, but it's plenty loud for me and I rarelyturn up the volume more than half way. It does have a few caveats though, one being that occasionally the signal from HDMI to my display gets distorted, butits a quick fix as all you have to do is cycle through the inputs on the remote and it clears up. Overall I give the unit a 7.5/10. Be on the lookout on Amazonor WorstBuy, they occasionally drop the price to $199.

Originally Posted by brian to the b

Anyone have the Sony HT-CT100? Thinking about getting it for my room.

purchased this from best buy for 199 and I'm satisfied with it. My living room is small and is not ideal to have a 5.1 system setup so this works fine. Like the review says above, as long as you're not expecting true and quality surround sound you will be happy with this set. My lcd audio quality ishorrible and this definately fixed the problem for me. If you have the right area I would recommend looking around for a 5.1 sound system but if you wantsomething compact, simple and cheap this is the soundbar to go with!

Thanks. My room is small so that's why I'm not looking to get anything big for it. Do you guys think it's worth it to get the ct500 over the ct100?

I never really dug soundbars..but for the money, u can't really do better

i personally would get some small bookshelf speakers, a small receiver, and a small 8" sub.

Back
Top Bottom