HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Best budget 2.1 setup? Decided against a sound bar and gonna check for some floor standing speakers (polk r50?) and a decent receiver. possibly a Bic sub.

NT I need some help
I recently purchased an RCA rtd315w Home Theater System ( I know its cheap, I just wanted something for my dorm room) from Wal-Mart

I currently have it hooked up to my PS3 via Optical Cable and my PS3 is hooked up to my TV via HDMI

It says Dolby Digital on the device but when I select the Optical Cable audio output option and Dolby Digital in the PS3 menu, the system makes a funny, loud buzzing sound

Can any of you audio heads identify the problem?

Is it falsely advertised as Dolby Digital capable?

Did I just waste money on an optical cable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by Baller23217

Best budget 2.1 setup? Decided against a sound bar and gonna check for some floor standing speakers (polk r50?) and a decent receiver. possibly a Bic sub.
polk r50's, bic sub, and a onkyo 606 would be a cool beginner setup

i got alot to learn about this HT thang................whats you guys opinion on yamaha receivers and speakers?

I think I'm about to take this thing back and just save and wait to get another system
I don't want to get jipped just because I want a cheap system

To be real I just had an even cheaper Durabrand system that seems to be even more powerful even though the box on the Durabrand says 80 Watt and the RCA says 250 watt

Any recommendations for another system for a brother on a budget, just in case I do take it back?

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Don't let floor standers, get bookshelf speakers

the amp is a receiver is gonna tickle those yamaha speakers.
?............i dont understand are you saying the receiver is not powerful enough for those speakers if so what should i get an additional amp?

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

No, just get bookshelf speakers.

Good amps are 500+ and it wouldn't be worth it...
yea but i prefer to have the floor standing style speakers what im going for is a center speaker two floor standing and a sub to start out but i was thinking later that i would want to add....... should i just buy a less channel receiver to get better sound for now?

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

NT I need some help
I recently purchased an RCA rtd315w Home Theater System ( I know its cheap, I just wanted something for my dorm room) from Wal-Mart

I currently have it hooked up to my PS3 via Optical Cable and my PS3 is hooked up to my TV via HDMI

It says Dolby Digital on the device but when I select the Optical Cable audio output option and Dolby Digital in the PS3 menu, the system makes a funny, loud buzzing sound

in the PS3 audio options, do you have it set for Optical Audio Out?
do you have anything else that you've tried using optical audio? did it work?
if your PS3 is connected to your TV using HDMI, how is your TV connected to the receiver?

Originally Posted by osubass1

NT I need some help

if your PS3 is connected to your TV using HDMI, how is your TV connected to the receiver?
I have it for optical digital out
It's on Linear PCM 2 CH. 44.1 khz & Linear PCM 2 CH. 48 khz  by default, under those settings there's no problem
The problem only arises when I put it on Dolby Digital, DTS or AAC

The PS3 is the only thing I own that takes Optical besides the reciever

The TV is connected to the reciever by way of red and white auxiliary audio cords

Also, the Reciever has an HDMI output but no input 
tired.gif

NT I need some help

It's on Linear PCM 2 CH. 44.1 khz & Linear PCM 2 CH. 48 khz  by default, under those settings there's no problem

The TV is connected to the reciever by way of red and white auxiliary audio cords

tired.gif
In order to get dolby digital or dts, you will have to change your audio output from pcm to bit stream.

A general rule of thumb for ps3 is:
optical cable = bit stream
hdmi cable-= pcm

Originally Posted by livewyre

NT I need some help

tired.gif
In order to get dolby digital or dts, you will have to change your audio output from pcm to bit stream.

hdmi cable-= pcm

tried that still getting the buzzing

I think im going to buy an optical cable for my ps3.
I want to hear the difference (if any) between linear pcm and bit stream

would i have to change the settings on my receiver or just the PlayStation?

yo monday night. I want to venture into a 2 way speaker set up with a reciever ( Panny seems to be the rage)...what do you recommend as a mid-level beginner setup...really want it to hear music when I have guests but would like for movie night with the wife.

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

you would have to change the settings on your ps3, you receiver should be able to detect the signal being sent to it.

some people don't notice the difference. I switched from a receiver that only supported the core dts and dolby tracks, to a reciever that can decode the lossless formats and its like day and night to me. not as dramatic as sd vs hd but close.
you can actually see yourself with your current equip. go into your audio setup option for your ps3 and turn off anything that's higher than 640kbs, and the 7.1 tracks, and you have pretty much what you would get from an optical cable.

Take the HTIB back to the store. It is obviously not handling the digital signal correctly.  You might also want to get a better optical cable.

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

you would have to change the settings on your ps3, you receiver should be able to detect the signal being sent to it.

some people don't notice the difference. I switched from a receiver that only supported the core dts and dolby tracks, to a reciever that can decode the lossless formats and its like day and night to me. not as dramatic as sd vs hd but close.
you can actually see yourself with your current equip. go into your audio setup option for your ps3 and turn off anything that's higher than 640kbs, and the 7.1 tracks, and you have pretty much what you would get from an optical cable.
Thanks.
Ill try it later in the week

I have a yamaha rx-861v btw

NT I need some help

tired.gif

hdmi cable-= pcm

tried that still getting the buzzing

sounds like you got a bum receiver, man.

i think you already suspected that, though.

good luck. 

Back
Top Bottom