Help an Aussie out visiting the US

Hey guys,

Me and the wife will be in the US during March and would like some help. We're visiting the following cities...

LA (4 days)
SF (3 days)
Vegas (2 days)
NY (7 days)

Greatly appreciated if anyone can help me with the following questions...
1) Whats the best food/restaurant finder app? Yelp? E.g. If I'm in West Hollywood I want the app to find out for me the good food joints in that area.

2) I know LA will probably be the hardest to get around since we're not hiring a car. What's the next best option in getting around LA? Cabs? Uber? Bus? If it helps, I've booked a hotel in the West Hollywood area.

3) Tipping... I have no idea how it works as we dont do it over here in Aust! What's the standard %? Also, I've heard some restaurants already include tipping (gratuity?) in the bill so I dont need to add anything extra.

4) Best place to get NBA tix besides the official team websites?

5) To the folks in NY, will it still be really cold during late March?

I might have a few more questions, so ill post it up as I think of it...

Thanks!

8)

Edited post to include the amount of days we'll be staying there...

Last edited:
1. Yelp is a good option. If you get the app there is a "nearby" option you can use. Doesn't hurt to ask the front desk or locals.

2. Uber is cool.

3. Sorry, NTer's don't tip.

15%, typically. Sometimes it is included (this is usually for large parties though, check your receipt).

4. Stubhub, ticketmaster, craigslist.

4.) www.stubhub.com if $ doesnt matter and you want guaranteed seats. Lots of tourists get suckered into fake tickets/tickets that never show up

5.) More than likely that will be a YES. Expect it to be just below freezing

PS - #3 will be fun

1. Yelp is a good option. If you get the app there is a "nearby" option you can use. Doesn't hurt to ask the front desk or locals.

2. Uber is cool.

15%, typically. Sometimes it is included (this is usually for large parties though, check your receipt).

Thanks!

Another question to add to my list...

What are the must eat burger joints in the cities ill visit? I only know In-N-Out...:lol:

How long you planning to be out here fam?
Youve named some of the best cities just know **** is expensive in each one of those cities. i guess cabs will be your best bet in all those cities. The average tip is usually what 10 percent? Some other good advice is stay away from the hood in all those cities

2. Uber is cool.

Thanks!

Another question to add to my list...

What are the must eat burger joints in the cities ill visit? I only know In-N-Out...:lol:

For LA some of my favorites are Umami, Plan Check, The Oinkster, Father's Office.

Wanted to add on tipping. I only tip at places where I sit and get served by a waiter/waitress.

Last edited:
How long you planning to be out here fam?
Youve named some of the best cities just know **** is expensive in each one of those cities. i guess cabs will be your best bet in all those cities. The average tip is usually what 10 percent? Some other good advice is stay away from the hood in all those cities

I've updated my initial post to include the days we're staying in each city...

1. Yelp is cool. I also use urbanspoon.

2. N/A

3. Just tip 15%. Unless service sucks, then you tip 0%

4. stubhub is probably your best bet.

5. It probably won't be higher than 10 celsius but it won't be below freezing
laugh.gif
Just pack some sweaters and a jacket.

Extra: McDonalds, Burger King, White Castle

Bareburger, Shake Shack, five guys (if you don't have a peanut allergy), ny burger co

Since you aren't visiting Chicago, but you'll be in LA make the trip down to Orange County and visit Portillo's and get yourself a Chicago Hot Dog and an Italian Beef sandwich. You can also go to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm if that's your thing.

2. N/A

5. It probably won't be higher than 10 celsius but it won't be below freezing :lol: Just pack some sweaters and a jacket.

Bareburger, Shake Shack, five guys (if you don't have a peanut allergy), ny burger co

LOL... We got that in Australia! :lol:... Thanks for the other suggestions though (which are 'hidden')

2. N/A

5. It probably won't be higher than 10 celsius but it won't be below freezing :lol: Just pack some sweaters and a jacket.

Can you actually do that? Or do i let the manager know as well before giving no tip?

as far as tipping goes, I have the same policy as Nawzlew and only tip at places where I sit down and they serve me food and refill my drink at my table. If its takeout, fast food, casual fast, or anythng else, no tip for you.

tipping 0% is a scumbag steve move. if you have that much of a problem with the service, you need to talk to a manager ASAP. dont just stew about it all meal and then short the tip and bounce thinkin you taught them a lesson. Any manager at a respectable restaurant should step in and fix any issues right away, and may even comp you something for your troubles. Man, the last time I was at Mastro's, I was annoyed that they took 40 minutes to seat my group even though we had a reservation and so I asked to speak to a manager the second I got seated. Manager came out, apologized about the delay and comped $500+ worth of seafood towers. ALWAYS let them know on the spot if something is not up to snuff, especially if youre at a respectable joint.

Im usually against telling a manager because someone might just be having a bad day. I wouldnt want a person being fired or repremanded because i wasnt happy with their service that day.

leave no tip they will get the point no need to whistle blow

I would not suggest telling the manager you won't be tipping.

as far as tipping goes, I have the same policy as Nawzlew and only tip at places where I sit down and they serve me food and refill my drink at my table. If its takeout, fast food, casual fast, or anythng else, no tip for you.

tipping 0% is a scumbag steve move. if you have that much of a problem with the service, you need to talk to a manager ASAP. dont just stew about it all meal and then short the tip and bounce thinkin you taught them a lesson. Any manager at a respectable restaurant should step in and fix any issues right away, and may even comp you something for your troubles. Man, the last time I was at Mastro's, I was annoyed that they took 40 minutes to seat my group even though we had a reservation and so I asked to speak to a manager the second I got seated. Manager came out, apologized about the delay and comped $500+ worth of seafood towers. ALWAYS let them know on the spot if something is not up to snuff, especially if youre at a respectable joint.

Im usually against telling a manager because someone might just be having a bad day. I wouldnt want a person being fired or repremanded because i wasnt happy with their service that day.

leave no tip they will get the point no need to whistle blow

Gotcha. Thanks for the pointers...

1) http://www.thrillist.com/

2) Tip: You can finagle a lower cab fare in NYC. Negotiate.

3) Minimum of 15% gratuity, unless the service is absolutely horrific. Check your bill, but automatic gratuity is often a liberty taken with parties of six or larger.

4) http://www.stubhub.com/hp1?sReferrer=

5) For temps, looking at a high of low-50's in NYC by the end of March.

What are the must eat burger joints in the cities ill visit?
New York City:
Umami and Shake Shack.

Pomme Frites for Belgian-style fries. S'MAC for macaroni and cheese. Japonica for sushi.

1) http://www.thrillist.com/

2) Tip: You can finagle a lower cab fare in NYC. Negotiate.

3) Minimum of 15% gratuity, unless the service is absolutely horrific. Check your bill, but automatic gratuity is often a liberty taken with parties of six or larger.

4) http://www.stubhub.com/hp1?sReferrer=

5) For temps, looking at a high of low-50's in NYC by the end of March.
New York City:
Umami and Shake Shack.

Pomme Frites for Belgian-style fries. S'MAC for macaroni and cheese. Japonica for sushi.

Thanks mate! :smokin

Thanks mate!
My pleasure, enjoy your trip.

Additional:
If you like sushi, Sake Bar Hagi in Midtown after midnight. Food specials and wide variety of sake plus Japanese whiskey.

Lenny's is a sandwich chain if you want a quick, relatively inexpensive meal. I recommend the Jimmy T.

Katz's Deli is overpriced and generally overrated.

Back
Top Bottom