Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
My son was supposed to start pre school in the fall and I think we are going to pull him. He’s only two so he won’t even really know, makes me sad that he can’t really be around other kids his age though - I hope it doesn’t have an impact on his development. We were excited to get him into school, around other kids, and learning; however it looks like that’s gonna have to wait now.

At 2 we enrolled my son in one of those mommy and me preschools and it was a nightmare. Never again. Just a bunch of drooling nose pickers spreading germs and throwing tantrums. My son caught pertussis (whooping cough) from one of those kids whose parents always say "it's just a cough" and that was the end of that social experiment. We learned our lesson and only sent our daughter to preschool at 4 and kindergarten at 5.

I'm curious to see how others in here feel about getting the vaccine if and when it's available. Let's do a quick poll.

Thumbs up for if you would get the vaccine if it were offer sometime this year or early next year
Sad face for if you would be hesitant to

What do you need to know to feel safe before getting one?

That it has no long term underlying effects.

thats not how you make money

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...munity-drove-up-death-toll-column/5472100002/

Sweden has often been considered a leader when it comes to global humanitarian issues, regarded as a beacon of light in areas such as accepting refugees and working against global warming. In the COVID-19 pandemic, Sweden has also created interest around the world by following its own path of using a “soft” approach — not locking down, introducing mostly voluntary restrictions and spurning the use of masks.

This approach has been perceived as more liberal and has shown up in “Be Like Sweden” signs and chants at U.S. protests. Wherever measures have been lenient, though, death rates have peaked. In the United States, areas that are coming out of lockdown early are suffering, and we are seeing the same in other countries as well.

The motives for the Swedish Public Health Agency's light-touch approach are somewhat of a mystery. Some other countries that initially used this strategy swiftly abandoned it as the death toll began to increase, opting instead for delayed lockdowns. But Sweden has been faithful to its approach.

Why? Gaining herd immunity, where large numbers of the population (preferably younger) are infected and thereby develop immunity, has not been an official goal of the Swedish Public Health Agency. But it has said immunity in the population could help suppress the spread of the disease, and some agency statements suggest it is the secret goal.

An unnerving death rate
Further evidence of this is that the agency insists on mandatory schooling for young children, the importance of testing has been played down for a long time, the agency refused to acknowledge the importance of asymptomatic spread of the virus (concerningly, it has encouraged those in households with COVID-19 infected individuals to go to work and school) and still refuses to recommend masks in public, despite the overwhelming evidence of their effectiveness. In addition, the stated goal of the Swedish authorities was always not to minimize the epidemic, but rather slow it down, so that the health care system wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

Several authorities, including the World Health Organization, have condemned herd immunity as a strategy. "It can lead to a very brutal arithmetic that does not put people and life and suffering at the center of that equation,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said at a press conference in May.

With COVID-19, don’t only focus on death: Too many Americans are alive and in misery.

Regardless of whether herd immunity is a goal or a side effect of the Swedish strategy, how has it worked out? Not so well, according to the agency’s own test results. The proportion of Swedes carrying antibodies is estimated to be under 10%, thus nowhere near herd immunity. And yet, the Swedish death rate is unnerving. Sweden has a death toll greater than the United States: 556 deaths per million inhabitants, compared with 425, as of July 20.

Sweden also has a death toll more than four and a half times greater than that of the other four Nordic countries combined — more than seven times greater per million inhabitants. For a number of weeks, Sweden has been among the top in the world when it comes to current reported deaths per capita. And despite this, the strategy in essence remains the same.

Learn from Sweden's mistakes
It is possible that the Public Health Authority actually believed that the Swedish approach was the most appropriate and sustainable one, and that the other countries, many of which went into lockdown, would do worse. Perhaps this, and not herd immunity, is the main reason the authorities are desperately clinging to their strategy. Or perhaps an unwillingness to admit early mistakes and take responsibility for thousands of unnecessary deaths plays into this resistance to change. Nevertheless, the result at this stage is unequivocal.

We do believe Sweden can be used as a model, but not in the way it was thought of initially. It can instead serve as a control group and answer the question of how efficient the voluntary distancing and loose measures in Sweden are compared to lockdowns, aggressive testing, tracing and the use of masks.

In Sweden, the strategy has led to death, grief and suffering and on top of that there are no indications that the Swedish economy has fared better than in many other countries. At the moment, we have set an example for the rest of the world on how not to deal with a deadly infectious disease.

In the end, this too shall pass and life will eventually return to normal. New medical treatments will come and improve the prognosis. Hopefully there will be a vaccine. Stick it out until then. And don’t do it the Swedish way.

At 2 we enrolled my son in one of those mommy and me preschools and it was a nightmare. Never again. Just a bunch of drooling nose pickers spreading germs and throwing tantrums. My son caught pertussis (whooping cough) from one of those kids whose parents always say "it's just a cough" and that was the end of that social experiment. We learned our lesson and only sent our daughter to preschool at 4 and kindergarten at 5.

bruh i dislike those parents who send their kids to school (knowing they are sick) because they don’t want to take a day off to take care of them. Sent my kid to preschool at 4 yrs old. Taught him his numbers and letters and he was way ahead of all the other kids so after that, didn’t take it too seriously cuz my main focus was his socialization skills to prepare him for kinder.

Don't know how any parent can send their children to school with so little research being done by the Trump admin...also
that Kawasaki Disease is now related to kids who are infected with Covid.

my son’s private school sent out a survey asking how we felt about the situation because they intended to reopen for the fall but Gov Newsom shut that down. They were going to implement an in school and online hybrid class. Where if you want the child to attend school they did all of the necessary safety precautions and then some for them to be safe. Or do an online class or a mix of both. It was still up in the air but i already had my mind set.
Told them nope, I’m not sending my son to school. Sign me up for online class. I saw that meme “how can schools control corona when they can’t even control lice.” and it just stuck w/ me.

Don't know how any parent can send their children to school with so little research being done by the Trump admin...also
that Kawasaki Disease is now related to kids who are infected with Covid.

I dont even have kids, and it's a no brainer for me. Like the post you beat me to, those 85 or so infants that got it, scary ish man.

My son was supposed to start pre school in the fall and I think we are going to pull him. He’s only two so he won’t even really know, makes me sad that he can’t really be around other kids his age though - I hope it doesn’t have an impact on his development. We were excited to get him into school, around other kids, and learning; however it looks like that’s gonna have to wait now.

your son will be fine. I enrolled my son into preschool when he was 4 yrs old and it was part time 2 days a week for him to gain socialization skills. Went to kinder w/ no problems. But it really just depends on your son’s personality. If you feel he’s too shy, maybe put him in at 3.5 yrs old.

Also, i enrolled my son into Kumon (math and reading tutor) to prepare him for kinder. I just felt the preschool didn’t emphasize learning more than art and activities. Kumon helped ALOT and he was good to go for Kinder.

Kindergarten for my little one. Ain't looking likely at this point.

I was wondering how Kindergarten was gonna work w/ some schools being closed. Is your school providing any sort of info? It really sucks for the kids. Especially the younger ones. They aren’t able to be in a classroom setting and meet new friends and just “be kids”. Unfortunately, a lot of kids will suffer.

snoop.png

I'm confused how there's still a shortage of N95 for healthcare workers when they haven't been available to the public for the most part for months.

It's my understanding that N95 usage was pretty rare in hospital settings and was limited to those caring for people with highly contagious aerosol respiratory diseases like tuberculosis, measles, etc. For "normal" respiratory diseases like flu and RSV, most healthcare professionals just used regular procedure masks. That has obviously changed since March and hospitals and clinics around the world have had to try and get their hands on more inventory than they would otherwise use over several years. In addition, many other industries commonly use respirator masks for paint, chemical application, etc. At the same time, governmental agencies (local, state, federal, international) are also trying to secure stock for their own interests, so factories have still not been able to keep up with demand and it's unlikely they will any time soon. Hell, you think something as easy to make as disinfectants and cleaning products like containing bleach would be easy to increase production to meet added demand, but I couldn't even find Clorox Tilex shower cleaner at 3 different stores I went to last weekend.

If they don't like the rules, then don't come to the business. My house my rule. It's that simple. Don't like it, don't come. Less idiots in the stores.

But in the case of workers it's not their house, it's just a low wage job.

People not getting paid enough to put out this kind of energy, and they certainly don't deserve the energy that's guaranteed to come back at them in return.

in case you´re curious, the pandemic is going tremendously south of the border.

of course, the word ¨tremendous¨ means different things to different people...and so, for context and clarification, we turn to our Channel 9 news team for updates from one of the only countries you can still visit.

Good afternoon on this idle Tuesday, my name is cosmiccoffee9 cosmiccoffee9 and this is the Semi-Regular Report.

The COVID-19 pandemic steamrolls into the second half of 2020, with the deadly disease ravaging populations around the globe...including, of course, here in Mexico. Official tallies have varied wildly in both content and plausibility, but in any event the numbers almost certainly spell disaster here on the Pacific Coast.

Indeed, a secondary side effect to the global health crisis threatens to greatly exacerbate the overall damage done...experts in the field have dubbed the phenomenon a ¨cluster****¨ over the previous months.

After noting the emergence of such a cluster**** in the Untied States, commentators familiar with the matter have begun to identify signs of a similar effect crippling the response efforts of this Latin American leader.

Emblematic of the developing cluster**** are the dissonant messages from various levels of government, with a willful Jalisco state legislature openly stating its intention to defy any national shutdown order, the country´s northern border closed to all travelers not rich enough to afford a plane ticket, and high-profile protests both for and against additional municipal closures in Puerto Vallarta within the last few days.

[pulls perfectly rolled J from hairstyle, flicks spark, takes long drag, sighs heavily]

It has become clear to this reporter that pretty much all roads through the current cluster**** lead directly through the hospital, and so Channel 9 CCNN brings you this special feature from my talented, good-looking colleague, on-the-ground reporter AJ Aswell, who recently toured a new COVID wing at a local private hospital.

fts, I´m off for the day...take it away, kid.

article also at https://welovepv.com/shining-the-spotlight-on-the-hospital-joya-team/

zC980EGC_Nhy6pZtSH18n5vk-fSvNVTkhhy1RLRHCNUV5dcY58b4mPa1T3_SLNyqjZ-hzJ_2U-nHmulsrEiXp2JJkA69At0Ms5e2Z__MyAP5uHLGPXpNJIsMKPkZ9420Cr98-5PX

[record scratch] yup, that´s me…now let me explain how I got anywhere near this scene.

In the interest of full disclosure, it admittedly wasn't my idea to take my vital and vigorous self to visit a medical facility during an active global health crisis....this peculiar confluence of events all began in the constructive online trolling of Pamela, a veteran nurse and valued member of the staff at Hospital Joya (fka Hospital San Javier, like, literally until last week or something).

g4xaHAQ5Ht2EuZ_sOngrqQobA0I5S-NzAnvkyXOGP22dEnTIvELuz1f_csqDhNvspIcf442Nd-E76gRFTlwW2ReO0S9D5WbWVh51a-2CkN-BJXikNMVn9C6zHeTMjt9oFpMmWd02

[AJ pictured shutting up while medical professionals talk, as one should in these cases.]

Pamela has been using her established social media presence to offer a (safe!) tour of the rapidly developing COVID unit expansion to plague rats, scofflaws, and ne´er-do-wells across the Banderas Bay who may not understand their role in creating a future they want to live in.

Here was any Internet rando´s golden ticket to unraveling The Grand Deception, to confront evil doctors who dared tell them to cover their beautiful faces before an adoring public.

Surprisingly enough, no one had yet seized the opportunity.

Still,.with our Puerto Vallarta so dependent on the health and wellness of its visitors as well as our locals, I figured that a concrete reminder of what ¨a little less careful¨ could end up looking like might inspire some of the community-minded behaviors that will ensure a brighter future for this sunny city by the sea...and so, I looked in the mirror and asked: do I love PV or not?

Is this whole t-shirt a lie?

Drama class aside, I decided that as we enjoy our days in this brave new world, it is essential to recognize the efforts of those who have committed themselves to supporting the local lifestyle, and so one recent weekday I somehow got myself out of bed before 10 and headed over to the Marina district to meet up with Pamela outside the emergency room at Hospital Joya.

inyBZKVnA6YwhsxrbhblKazZ1TRjyhW4005ts4V5wssxMZ4lOoAk8tbM3UAYIoUMhmDftKsJc6gyxhWBPHWqp4Pjbh5qACeC7OJT2IIAJmnfbVT5CCjdCln0qD9nnEJvdRQeE3tr

[We´re smiling, you can tell.]

¨Hospital Joya is one of México´s private care facilities, so even though our nurses need as many snacks, drinks, and personal items as they can get, we actually have plenty of medical supplies...it´s the public hospitals that are so much worse off right now.¨ Pamela sighed.

¨Even before COVID it was not uncommon for doctors not to be able to perform procedures immediately because, for example, they didn't have the right type of syringe in stock. Obviously now, it's a lot harder on everyone.¨

Ramiro, nursing supervisor at Hospital Joya, entered the chat, conveniently subtitled for the benefit of our English-language audience: ¨It's very hard. More people come every day, and so we work 9 or 10 hours each shift...no breaks, not even for the bathroom. We cannot leave the COVID treatment area for any reason, or we will have to strip down our suits and shower again.¨

I couldn´t resist the obvious question: ¨So, what is it like to go through all that and still have people walking around talking about hoaxes and overreactions?¨

His eyes clamped shut for an instant, his half-masked face a full image of exasperation.

¨Incredible.¨ he finally answered, the preceding expletive silent yet palpable.

I was almost sorry I asked.

f7U4riyNJFvdccMFQMlKJSZgMXXtbSN5C_IwCaBD_BbHzG6WvsSRO0Sl0gHw1YmA4B_R64rS0VURGaiDa-CnToyIUW9hk-Q0IYdVCM_THZMCrLFDeiKQNFzJGEebPqSw0fZedqJ3

[AJ probably asking Ramiro another stupid question.]

Moving inside the facility, Pamela led us first to the room where the everyday-use donations are stored. ¨We always could use more PPE, but people love to give physical goods, big box stuff from Costco, water bottles, juice boxes. The nurses always wanted to run out and get things from the store when this started, but obviously we couldn't have that...so now we keep it on hand for them, and the community is great about contributing.¨

I had my eye on one of the cold cans just delivered as a surprise by the good people at Monzón Brewing, but you already knew that.

X4qe0q7VaF4YmuzfH3Ox5MFZSI8fnuMXFV01STYHdBesLrPbiynpezy1G-XVm3Yn2WErJRpADVK8IcGD1GQYj2E-yK6-u_S3YrhshODhUlSn3F-3MMWz4L5DVvH1EUqeGXSZysLb

[Your big box membership could do a lot of good for some great people.]

The storage room was more than an ad-hoc pantry...medical gear such as gowns, gloves, and face shields accumulated in a far corner...an impressive feat in a time where such accoutrement is in short supply. The mark of community endeavour was clearly visible in this space.

¨A lot of what we have right now is coming from the public.¨, she explained, holding up a gown. ¨These we have made here in town by seamstresses forced out of work, the materials are financed through donations, and we also compensate them for their time.¨

¨Sort of a jobs program?¨

¨You could say that.¨ she smiled...I think, she was wearing a mask.

We all were. You should too.

Of course, no one can force you to do anything, you´re a free adult sovereign human guy, so if you´re not into the whole COVID protocol thing during your time here on the Pacific Coast, you may at least be relieved to know that the hospital is expanding its accommodations just for you.

Yes, here in these halls of healing, you will be in for an experience you will remember for the rest of your life. Your view of the floor during a face-down intubation will be unparalleled, and the room service is universally rated as ¨serviceable¨...more poignant repose, you will not find.

uqREGd-Hf1BuYkG_HvcMMlaZEXhHbgHse8_uGyHduCVD9T8AXuYSTLdXG3bwtvxuaXubJFJu2HoCCWdFk_lZJN9VtUqRSk_yY9iOMeAh7dZ6u6fEhBuBZuvma3m9ldKPkY8dywvK

[Some of Hotel Joya´s newly expanding accommodations.]

Once I´d taken in the splendor of the newly built wing of the hospital, there was a visit to Pamela´s office.

It was unmistakably the workspace of an indispensable individual, almost every surface employed in the holding of gear and goods, both for distribution in Hospital Joya and to the stunningly underfunded public sector...not all of the bounty was strictly utilitarian, there were ample creature comforts within the treasure trove: a massive basket of cinnamon rolls occupied the seat next to me, destined for the tired hands pushing this place forward.

I wish them all the everyday delights the Universe can deliver them.

¨The profession is paid very little in the country...many of the nurses have at least 2 jobs, they´ll do a full shift here and then go over to one of the public hospitals. Imagine taking going through an entire shift at a time like this, taking all that equipment off, showering, and getting dressed to go to a shift across town and do it all again? I have no idea when the COVID team sleeps.¨

I have trouble wrapping words around the idea myself.

fXuUPpsqnlrkALKJIvnVr2KOwLlZrqcXuDPHepi3R2ACwGwwO4NAUSNxiCR3ZEgPLn1glIZWVy9SN85ubu2k-Q1zlKO7ZZMR8AbFD9ynZ4R0fJ1RAGhIPNKwb_n5aVLjjg1t2f9y

[This actually happened very early in the tour, but it makes more narrative sense here, yeah?]

Along with some lovely parting gifts from Pam, like a crocheted mask holder strap prepared by a community volunteer--life-changer--I left Hospital Joya that afternoon with an even more profound respect for the medical professionals on the front lines of our ongoing struggle with this global health crisis. (Snagged the cold Monzón too, obvio...IPA, if you´re curious.)

To truly understand that these human beings were toiling around the clock just to keep our local healthcare system from crumbling into chaos was a stark reminder that each citizen has the responsibility to do everything they can to make their lives a little easier...and so for Channel 9 CCNN and welovepv.com, this has been Lifestyle Scout AJ Aswell reminding you once more to stay safe, mask up, and wash your hands.

Donate to the community chest: [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom