Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here is what I don’t understand, reopening is so inconsistent across the board-how can you justify packing a stadium in the Midwest but schools are still closed? Like we should be focused on reopening schools because remote learning is by and large, much worse than in-person education and a lot of poorer people who can’t afford childcare send their kids to public schools during the day. Even worse, those who depend on public school meals to feed their kids.

As a teacher first and foremost I do agree with you. Remote learning is worse and not as effective as in person. No way around that but public education as whole in this country isn't equal. COVID didn't create these gaps in our school systems it just made them more obvious.

My first teaching job was in a rich suburban area, brand new building 5 floors, beautiful courtyard, 50in tv's in every classroom and in the hallways. I got a brand new computer lab my 2nd year just because "We had money to burn". When the shutdown happened we had a few kids that needed devices and hotspots but nothing crazy. Every household was taken care of after about a month.

The school buses were doing food dropoff's everyday for kids who needed the meals all they had to do was fill out the google form to get added to the list. I teach AP and most days I had perfect attendance all 90 kids would at least log in to the virtual meetings.

Now in my new school, same state approximately 2 hrs away to the east. Title 1 school, most kids still don't have devices so I have to print packets each week, half of my kids log in (on a good day, Fridays you might as well forget about it). The software my kids at my old school had predownloaded on their devices already. These kids don't have. There is no money for it which is where the packets and youtube videos come in to play. I don't even want to go into test scores because I'd be typing all day long story short it's about a 60% gap in the scores.

With all that being said. I still don't think schools should open. Its not feasible, yes low-income families can't afford childcare but what will they do once their kid gets sick and then they have to stomach that medical bill? That's not even going into the fact that most teachers and school personnel are high risk themselves.

Our government leaders failed us, and it's not the grossly underfunded public school systems responsibility to fix it.

As a teacher first and foremost I do agree with you. Remote learning is worse and not as effective as in person. No way around that but public education as whole in this country isn't equal. COVID didn't create these gaps in our school systems it just made them more obvious.

My first teaching job was in a rich suburban area, brand new building 5 floors, beautiful courtyard, 50in tv's in every classroom and in the hallways. I got a brand new computer lab my 2nd year just because "We had money to burn". When the shutdown happened we had a few kids that needed devices and hotspots but nothing crazy. Every household was taken care of after about a month.

The school buses were doing food dropoff's everyday for kids who needed the meals all they had to do was fill out the google form to get added to the list. I teach AP and most days I had perfect attendance all 90 kids would at least log in to the virtual meetings.

Now in my new school, same state approximately 2 hrs away to the east. Title 1 school, most kids still don't have devices so I have to print packets each week, half of my kids log in (on a good day, Fridays you might as well forget about it). The software my kids at my old school had predownloaded on their devices already. These kids don't have. There is no money for it which is where the packets and youtube videos come in to play. I don't even want to go into test scores because I'd be typing all day long story short it's about a 60% gap in the scores.

With all that being said. I still don't think schools should open. Its not feasible, yes low-income families can't afford childcare but what will they do once their kid gets sick and then they have to stomach that medical bill? That's not even going into the fact that most teachers and school personnel are high risk themselves.

Our government leaders failed us, and it's not the grossly underfunded public school systems responsibility to fix it.

But doesn’t the data support reopening public schools in many cases but because of issues like teachers unions, etc. pushing back, they remain closed? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pushing for “full reopening in all areas, no matter what” but I think the issue is made FAR more black/white than it actually is especially considering the issues poorer districts face like what you and I have pointed out. It’s also hypocritical that politicians push for public school closures and we end up with a mess like this:

E25C8D50-54F6-400E-80EA-30DDEF111AED.jpeg

489E4E04-4FEF-44B0-A910-837A2F1FEE48.png

There was some clown in this thread who disagreed with me about this vaccine and it’s effects. Likely a NTer who prioritizes eating a hamburger in public than long term health.

now look. This vaccine is killing people.

Hank Aaron was perfect fine before he took that vaccine.

I’m good. Anyone who wants to be a couple tiers above me for this vaccine can gladly skip me in line.

After reading this, I expected to find a news story confirming that Hank Aaron's cause of death had sadly been caused by the vaccine he received earlier this month in an effort to encourage others to do the same. I figured you simply must have forgotten to post a source for your claim. Instead all I can find are antivax "fringe people" like RFK peddling rumors. However, I can confirm that there have been several instances of severe disease and death caused by the virus. I sincerely hope and pray that Hank Aaron died peacefully in his sleep of natural causes and the fact that he was vaccinated a couple of weeks ago is merely a coincidence and not something these morons can use to advance their anti-science agenda.

But doesn’t the data support reopening public schools in many cases but because of issues like teachers unions, etc. pushing back, they remain closed? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pushing for “full reopening in all areas, no matter what” but I think the issue is made FAR more black/white than it actually is especially considering the issues poorer districts face like what you and I have pointed out. It’s also hypocritical that politicians push for public school closures and we end up with a mess like this:

E25C8D50-54F6-400E-80EA-30DDEF111AED.jpeg

489E4E04-4FEF-44B0-A910-837A2F1FEE48.png

Honestly I can't speak for private schools. I've never taught in one and I have zero interest to. That's a whole different cesspool and topic. You're right though it is hypocritical which is why we can't beat this virus. America has many selfish citizens who will do what they want regardless of who it impacts. I can't speak for teacher unions also because in my state it is not legal for teachers to unionize.

We can't even get adults to all agree and wear masks. Every time I go to the grocery store I still see people who don't wear masks. How will we be able to make kids do it? What happens when the kids refuses to wear his mask because "His mom said he didn't have to", or they take it off when teachers aren't looking? What about the teenagers who kiss in the hallway or share vapes in the bathroom?

The classrooms have poor ventilation, under staffed, the buses are overcrowded during usual instruction how will we be able to get all the students to the building? The issue is the resources needed to open schools, even partially isn't there. Why? Because America doesn't value education. Those with more $$$ have better odds of reopening because the buildings are bigger, they usually have less teaching vacancies. Private schools will open because if they don't those bills aren't getting paid they're not state funded, unless they received some stimulus relief which I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

Our only hope is the vaccine at this point in my eyes.

I really don't understand the logic of re-opening CA now. Lack of vaccines for the state and the high numbers. Things are going to get shut down again after Super Bowl Sunday.
there is no logic just politics and self interest which is why i been on the f newsom and garcetti bandwagon

I really don't understand the logic of re-opening CA now. Lack of vaccines for the state and the high numbers. Things are going to get shut down again after Super Bowl Sunday.

I read/heard someone somewhere make an interesting point, he has some lawsuits coming at him over the stay-at-home order so ending it and leaving it to the counties is kinda a way out.

which makes perfect sense IMO, California counties aren't a monolith :lol:

edit: watching his presser now, looks like conditions statewide are slowly getting better in terms of testing/cases and vaccines, so that combined with lawsuit/outside pressure prob makes sense. personally still not gonna go eat outside though

I read/heard someone somewhere make an interesting point, he has some lawsuits coming at him over the stay-at-home order so ending it and leaving it to the counties is kinda a way out.

which makes perfect sense IMO, California counties aren't a monolith :lol:

My opinion is that the state took a hard line before and during the holidays to try their best to discourage gathering. Now that numbers are indeed improving, they can rightfully claim that the measures worked and allow citizens a chance to F it up again.

Let's be real. Not all restaurants and business are really following the order anyway. I know because when i picked up my food, I was surprised they had indoor dining. I know some gyms are still open, some barbershops still takes online reservation, and target/walmart/malls are still pack as always.

My opinion is that the state took a hard line before and during the holidays to try their best to discourage gathering. Now that numbers are indeed improving, they can rightfully claim that the measures worked and allow citizens a chance to F it up again.

for sure. also gives people the chance to use the better numbers as an excuse to wild out :stoneface: or even better the people who straight up ignored the orders get some justification/vindication out of this

like this spot in long beach :stoneface: https://abc7.com/business/long-beach-restaurant-refuses-to-close-/9695631/

some of the more remote counties are a little better off though so they should be able to control their area i think

I have the option to get the Pfizer vaccine on 2/3 or moderna on 2/8. I ended up scheduling for the Pfizer since I can get it sooner, less time needed for 2nd dose, and slightly closer location.

any reason to opt for moderna instead? My parents and sis will be getting moderna

Thanks. Been meaning to pick up some more. I’ve been using a normal adidas mask for months now since cases in sf hasn’t exploded. but with the new variant circulating and months before I’m eligible for the vaccine I figured I should start using the kn95. Are these one time use only? I’m never inside places for more than 10-15 minutes which is pretty much pharmacies and supermarkets.

Thanks. Been meaning to pick up some more. I’ve been using a normal adidas mask for months now since cases in sf hasn’t exploded. but with the new variant circulating and months before I’m eligible for the vaccine I figured I should start using the kn95. Are these one time use only? I’m never inside places for more than 10-15 minutes which is pretty much pharmacies and supermarkets.

You can safely use them for several wears, up to around 40 hours per mask. I try and swap mine out every month or so, depending primarily on fitment, as the earloops often stretch out over time and will wear out faster than the filtration. In my office desk drawer I keep 5 masks in separate envelopes marked M, Tu, W, Th, F so that I wear the same mask every Monday, and so on. I swap them out every month. In my car I keep 5 masks in separate envelopes marked 1 - 5 and wear them in sequence so there's at least 5+ days between each wear so any viral particles on the mask will be inactivated by the next time I wear it. Probably overkill, but it works for me.

For the anti-vax conspiracy theorists:

-this person got the vaccine and died hours later, AFTER testing positive in December. So either someone seriously screwed up in screening, or this person got the hook up/paid some $$$ to get the shot.

-this person got the vaccine and died hours later, AFTER testing positive in December. So either someone seriously screwed up in screening, or this person got the hook up/paid some $$$ to get the shot.

I've noticed some discrepancy in whether someone who was previously infected should wait or take the vaccine when offered to them. CDC has said there is no reason to wait, however Fauci stated they should wait 90 days to avoid interaction between antibodies and the vaccine. I'm not smart enough to understand fully, but to me it seems like the same antibodies present after natural infection would also exist after your initial vaccine dose. Since you only have to wait 21-28 days before receiving your second dose, what's the reason to wait 90 days after infection? It would make more sense that you'd wait 30 days, at most.

You can safely use them for several wears, up to around 40 hours per mask. I try and swap mine out every month or so, depending primarily on fitment, as the earloops often stretch out over time and will wear out faster than the filtration. In my office desk drawer I keep 5 masks in separate envelopes marked M, Tu, W, Th, F so that I wear the same mask every Monday, and so on. I swap them out every month. In my car I keep 5 masks in separate envelopes marked 1 - 5 and wear them in sequence so there's at least 5+ days between each wear so any viral particles on the mask will be inactivated by the next time I wear it. Probably overkill, but it works for me.

I thought I am the only one who's going through such length developing such system to manage mask wearing, separate clean/dirty items on separate bins, etc. I feel "normal" now :lol:.

The 2nd dose of pfitzer that I got last Saturday caused body ache and fatigue the whole day yesterday. No fever. It's recommended you schedule a day off after the 2nd dose. Good thing I'm back to normal this morning.

damn

Back
Top Bottom