Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Went to a get together over the weekend and I was the only one wearing a mask. One dude tried to 'joke' why I still had a mask through out the night.

At this point, why are people still bothered by others who still choose to wear mask?
In general I’ve ppl, especially men, do this.

Seatbelts, choosing not to drink/drink less, condoms, guns, roller coasters, etc.

Anything you can think of there’s always a substantial number of ppl who are like “if you do x you must be a *****, hehe”. Generally speaking we’re not that bright.

Went to a get together over the weekend and I was the only one wearing a mask. One dude tried to 'joke' why I still had a mask through out the night.

At this point, why are people still bothered by others who still choose to wear mask?

“I aint tryna get sick foh” would be a typical NYer response. I suggest you adopt that.

Only really wearing masks on mass transportation, airplanes/airport, at my job as its at a medical center and that's about it. I'm triple vaxxed and have been trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If others still want to keep wearing them do you, no judgement.

These sentences back-to-back are amazing.

Admits to making up a statistic, then uses that made-up statistic to advocate for the alternative plan. Just..

carl-chef-kiss.gif

This is why these policies don’t work. The unwillingness to admit that there’s not only one way to deal with a problem. If you want to rock with it that’s on you but forcing everyone to adhere to that simply is not a legit way to expect society to function.
wearing seatbelts is normalized

having car insurance is normalized

obtaining a driver‘s license is normalized

penalizing individuals who don’t meet the standard for being on the road or break the rules of the road, is normalized

having people whose specific job is to make sure people adhere to the rules of the road is normalized

not drinking while driving is normalized

not driving while impaired is normalized

rigorous vehicle testing is normalized

recalls on vehicles or parts is normalized

law suits against car manufacturers is normalized

law suits against individuals is normalized

Isn’t that what we’re fighting against?

Normalizing the government deciding for us on what is safe or not safe is a slippery slope. For what it’s worth I agree with safety measures for COVID.

What if a flu vaccine became normalized / mandated?

What if realize instead of a seat belt we realize a seat harness is safer?

There is a certain level of risk to living life. What we’re normalizing is fear and fear of death in an unnatural way imo. Giving up stuff and having governments decide is a very slippery slope. Just check out what’s happening in Shanghai with people being locked in and screaming out of windows.

What if a flu vaccine became normalized / mandated?

The flu vaccine is pretty safe and has very little side effects so a mandate for that doesn't bother me.

Now that covid vaccine carries 10 times more severe allergic reactions than the flu vaccine so the thought of continued vaccine mandates is concerning. We need safer vaccines that are more in line with the side effects of the flu vaccine before mandating more booster shots.

This is why these policies don’t work. The unwillingness to admit that there’s not only one way to deal with a problem. If you want to rock with it that’s on you but forcing everyone to adhere to that simply is not a legit way to expect society to function.
I don't know what point you are trying to make here, and to be honest, I don't think you know either

I don't know what point you are trying to make here, and to be honest, I don't think you know either

That policies rarely are the result of clear, thoughtful, rationale process and are rather the result of political maneuvering of hot button issues.

I don’t think wearing a mask is the best outcome measure we can take.

Edit: I’m fully vaxxed + booster.

Im not against measures i just think wearing a mask is a band aid solution that doesn’t really work.

That policies rarely are the result of clear, thoughtful, rationale process and are rather the result of political maneuvering of hot button issues.

I don’t think wearing a mask is the best outcome measure we can take.

Edit: I’m fully vaxxed + booster.

Im not against measures i just think wearing a mask is a band aid solution that doesn’t really work.
-There is evidence that masking helps slow the spread of covid, it is not just some political maneuvering. Especially when high-quality mask is used

The views of masking of the marginal voter are probably against masking at this point. Politicians put back in mask mandates are mainly gonna be ones on the local level that have the electorate to support it. I really don't see the point in complaining about politics without truly considering the politics of the matter.

-Masking is not the only policy intervention we can take. That is why the same people who are pro masking are pro-vaccine, pro track and trace, pro widespread testing, and pro R&D on second-generation treatments. No one is saying masking should be the only option. To act like it is, is straw-manning people.

I am sick and tired of people acting like asking folk to wear a mask is a) Some major infringement on someone's rights b) The only thing people advocate for c) That people are treating it like a cure-all. On an individual level, people are trying not to catch covid, on a macro level people are trying to slow down community spread.

-Secondly, you talk about the thoughtful rationale process, yet you throughout an idea you fully admitted you made up. That doesn't seem thoughtful to me, that doesn't seem rational

You want to push back on masking and the alternative you wanted people to consider was trying to decrease obesity by 10%. You gave no consideration to how this could be achieved. The obesity rate in America has been increasing in recent years, it seems like a bunch of socioeconomic factors are driving it.

To decrease obesity by 10% you would need over 9 million people no longer being obese. That seems to me like it would take a massive policy intervention, beyond just telling and encouraging people to eat healthily and work out. The health insurance industry and many employers already try to incentivize this to lower their cost, and it has mainly been a failure.

But somehow that is the better intervention than masking?

So if you are advocating for thoughtful and rational processes, I don't see much coming from your arguments either, to be honest.

Last edited:
many workplaces have been mandating the flu vaccine every year for decades now.

also, yes, car accidents and obesity suck. any reasonable person would work to stop incentivizing driving, increase housing density, remove zoning, invest in walkable cities and safe biking and public transportation, etc. if you're worried about government imposing **** on us, highways and parking lots forcibly carving up our cities is way more intrusive and destructive than asking you to wear a mask on a plane.

-There is evidence that masking helps slow the spread of covid, it is not just some political maneuvering. Especially when high-quality mask is used

The views of masking of the marginal voter are probably against masking at this point. Politicians put back in mask mandates are mainly gonna be ones on the local level that have the electorate to support it. I really don't see the point in complaining about politics without truly considering the politics of the matter.

-Masking is not the only policy intervention we can take. That is why the same people who are pro masking are pro-vaccine, pro track and trace, pro widespread testing, and pro R&D on second-generation treatments. No one is saying masking should be the only option. To act like it is, is straw-manning people.

I am sick and tired of people acting like asking folk to wear a mask is a) Some major infringement on someone's rights b) The only thing people advocate for c) That people are treating it like a cure-all. On an individual level, people are trying not to catch covid, on a macro level people are trying to slow down community spread.

-Secondly, you talk about the thoughtful rationale process, yet you throughout an idea you fully admitted you made up. That doesn't seem thoughtful to me, that doesn't seem rational

You want to push back on masking and the alternative you wanted people to consider was trying to decrease obesity by 10%. You gave no consideration to how this could be achieved. The obesity rate in America has been increasing in recent years, it seems like a bunch of socioeconomic factors are driving it.

To decrease obesity by 10% you would need over 9 million people no longer being obese. That seems to me like it would take a massive policy intervention, beyond just telling and encouraging people to eat healthily and work out. The health insurance industry and many employers already try to incentivize this to lower their cost, and it has mainly been a failure.

But somehow that is the better intervention than masking?

So if you are advocating for thoughtful and rational processes, I don't see much coming from your arguments either, to be honest.
I applaud you for taking the time to craft such a rational response to an irrational individual. I just can’t with these deniers and minimizers anymore.

There’s a big difference between choosing to wear a mask and it being mandated.

Again, I don’t think the responses here get the point. It’s a slippery slope between mandating a mask and forcing people to stay locked in their homes for “safety”. Watch the Shanghai video of what’s happening. That sort of government overreach and control is a lot scarier than the disease. We got scarily close to that with Trump with extremism views becoming mainstream so it’s really not that hard to imagine it. Even in Texas, with the women and abortion stuff it’s happening in front of our eyes and we’re meekly just letting this stuff through.

Edit: There’s a whole lot of stuff that can be mandated for “safety”. I’m not a fan of stuff being mandated. I’ve worked with government agencies enough to see the shoddy work being done and would rather come to my own conclusions (with the full awareness i could be wrong and live and die by those choices).

Edit 2: Just for the sake of discussion, we could possibly save lives if we lowered the BAC limit to .05 instead of .08 right? But why haven’t we done that. Is the small amount of lives saved not worth the counter side of millions of social drinkers possibly getting DUIs. There’s always more than one side to the coin and it’s healthy for a country to have disagreement and people pulling both sides of an argument as a system of checks and balances. That desire for group think and the attacking of people with different mindsets is a very scary mentality that leads to horrific results in history.

Last edited:
There is no slippery slope because people are asking for the bare minimum, which is to impose a mask mandate. Not a shot mandate. Not an vaccine card mandate. Not a lockdown mandate. We can’t even get to step 1.

And time and time again when there have been masking policies, the cities differ from the counties which differ from the states. Nobody sees eye-to-eye and nothing is REALLY enforced. And on top of that, the government has shown lately that they’ll side with what is good for businesses over people. So again, I’m not sure what slippery slope we’re supposed to be scared of.

There’s a big difference between choosing to wear a mask and it being mandated.

Again, I don’t think the responses here get the point. It’s a slippery slope between mandating a mask and forcing people to stay locked in their homes for “safety”. Watch the Shanghai video of what’s happening. That sort of government overreach and control is a lot scarier than the disease. We got scarily close to that with Trump with extremism views becoming mainstream so it’s really not that hard to imagine it. Even in Texas, with the women and abortion stuff it’s happening in front of our eyes and we’re meekly just letting this stuff through.

Edit: There’s a whole lot of stuff that can be mandated for “safety”. I’m not a fan of stuff being mandated. I’ve worked with government agencies enough to see the shoddy work being done and would rather come to my own conclusions (with the full awareness i could be wrong and live and die by those choices).

Edit 2: Just for the sake of discussion, we could possibly save lives if we lowered the BAC limit to .05 instead of .08 right? But why haven’t we done that. Is the small amount of lives saved not worth the counter side of millions of social drinkers possibly getting DUIs. There’s always more than one side to the coin and it’s healthy for a country to have disagreement and people pulling both sides of an argument as a system of checks and balances. That desire for group think and the attacking of people with different mindsets is a very scary mentality that leads to horrific results in history.
People grasp your argument just fine

It is that we find them generally unconvincing and shoddy. You have done nothing beyond relying on fallacious arguments. Strawmen and slippery slopes.

We had nearly two years of mask mandates, it was not tyranny, it didn't lead to the oppression of freedoms. But with the thought of them maybe coming back, you double and triple down on this lazy libertarian arguments about a simple mask mandate is the start of something much worst. I mean look at Trump, look at Texas, look at China, look at history can't people see the danger in.....checks notes ..... A few liberal mayor's bringing them back temporarily if cases rise.

Frankly, it sounds ridiculous.

Then when you get push back to your arguments you use your contratarianism as a shield. Because of course, everyone else is just sheep that think alike and you are the free thinker here to enlighten us about the dangers our group think don't allow us to see.

Dude please, spare me.

You want people to be convinced, try coming close to making a convincing well reasoned argument for once.

Good grief.

There is no slippery slope because people are asking for the bare minimum, which is to impose a mask mandate. Not a shot mandate. Not an vaccine card mandate. Not a lockdown mandate. We can’t even get to step 1.

Your response is a good example of why I mentioned that we all need to be respectful of others experiences. Just because you have not had a shot and vaccine mandate where you live does not mean other people in this country have not had a shot mandate and vaccine card mandate. We are still way past step 1 in most places of the country with shot mandates, vaccine mandates, and the return of mask mandates.

Your response is a good example of why I mentioned that we all need to be respectful of others experiences. Just because you have not had a shot and vaccine mandate where you live does not mean other people in this country have not had a shot mandate and vaccine card mandate. We are still way past step 1 in most places of the country with shot mandates, vaccine mandates, and the return of mask mandates.
I am being respectful to other people’s experiences. I live in Birmingham. I’ve been to Atlanta multiple times during COVID, and also gone to Nashville, NOLA, St Louis, and New Orleans. Only one restaurant required me to show proof of vaccination. In fact, I had to show more documentation traveling around Mexico than anywhere I’ve been in the states. I recognize that there are places here that have implemented mandates and COVID policies but I think we take those few large cities as examples and apply them to everywhere when in actuality the vast majority of cities have not implemented anything beyond mask mandates (in the pre-vaccine days).

I believe I saw something like 25 of the states have some sort of vaccine mandate tied to specific fields (healthcare being one) but even within those 25 there are varying levels of requirements (ie. some require 2 shots, some require booster, etc.). Healthcare is the most obvious field to have vaccine mandates (to me) and they even can’t get in uniform alignment on a vaccine mandate so I don’t think it’s possible for the country.

Last edited:

Should've put him down with da left hook and when he was on da ground crying for his Veg Wrap you would say, "THAT'S WHY RUSTY".

Back
Top Bottom