Historical Inaccuracies

One thing everybody needs to remember is that,

"History is written by the victors." - Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by AckDaQuick

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

The drug war has very little to do with actual drug prevention and more to do with imprisoning black people and other minorities.

Read more about it in this recent piece published yesterday.

Noam Chomsky: Drug Cartels and the Growing Border War
devil.gif
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
eyes.gif
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
........great link, everyone should take a look and actually read the article.
Glad Noam Chomsky published this, it seems like people actually listen to him. Ive argued with so many people about the drug war who had his books posted on their shelves and were vehement that weed and other drugs should remain illegal.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by Wr

What a lot of people also fail to realize is that poor whites were in the same economic status of slaves ( not socially). There were whites working out in the fields as slaves as well. The actual percentage of slaveholder with plantations was in the minority.  The norm was having one slave for most whites with a decent amount of money and property. It was the elite families with large plots of land that had lots of slaves.  Slavery ended because it was ruining the economy of the u.s. The unfair labor system of slavery created too much surplus of product which would drive prices down. The north became industrialized and the south was too invested in keeping their lifestyle and social hierarchy. 
Poor whites fought the Civil War for a few rich plantation owners.  Just like in today's society, poor whites fight for the small percentage of the rich. 
Funny how that works out. People would rather appear to be associated with people with power rather than have some of their own.
However, there were laws that were enacted to make the white indentured servants superior to the black slaves.  That was done to separate them socially and deter the whites from teaching the blacks.
Also, the Lincoln statements are fairly true. Furthermore, the Emancipation Proclamation was created to help the North gain more soldiers in "free" slaves and to hurt the Souths exports. There was a law enacted prior to the EP stating that any slave/black person above the North/South border was considered free and therefore could enlist in the Union.

I personally feel that if Stonewall Jackson was not accidentally killed by one of his own men, that the Civil war would have turned out a lot differently.  Prior to his death, he was the brains behind the Confederacy's victories. It wasn't until his death that the Union started to win. They went through about 4-5 Generals bc they couldn't get the job done.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

Lincoln did everything in his power to save the union.  Like it or not, it was the biggest event our nation has ever faced and he took the tough measures necessary to ensure the mission's success.

Lincoln didn't provoke the South by sending troops to Charleston.  Several states had already formally succeeded by that point.  If Lincoln was truly a tyrant, did he extent an olive branch towards the South after the North soundly defeated them and destroyed every major city they had?  He would have done like most politicians do after a war and demand that the opposing general be put on trial for war crimes.  Instead, he respected the generals of the South and allowed them to serve their remaining years in comfort and retirement.

Oh please. Every other country in the world ended slavery WITHOUT a war. 600,000 American lives were killed because of an unnecessary war.

If the Civil War was over slavery, then wouldn't it make more sense for Lincoln to buy all the slaves in the South and then free them in the North (the Confederate Constitution BANNED the importation of slaves)? In 1860 the U.S. Census concluded that there were less than 260,000 slaves in the South and almost 225,000 in the North. And Charleston's population was 10% of Free Blacks. The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free slaves in any State that was loyal to the North or in the North at all, in Lincoln's own words he declared [font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"necessary war measure for suppressing said rebellion"[/font], so he basically told the South that Slavery is ok, just stop fighting. But, the South didn't stop, because it wasn't over slavery.

laugh.gif
Lincoln extended "olive branches". The man intentionally targeted civilians. Ever heard of the "Anaconda Plan"? The Union army blocked food and medicine from getting into the South, General Sherman declared "collective responsibility" in allowing his troops to steal everything that looked of value in Southern homes, Sherman told his soldiers to "make the damned traitorous rebel women and children howl". The March through Georgia is probably one of the worst war crimes in history.

And above all, because of the Civil War, it led to Reconstruction, which was a terrible for Blacks.

Please show me some evidence of these claims because ALL I could find in the constitution was that all people born prior to December 20, 1860 were granted citizenship.  But we all know that was promptly ignored because "Blacks" weren't considered people but rather property as is evidenced by the numerous articles that grant people to traverse the Confederate states with their slaves.

Yes, I have heard of the "Anaconda Plan".  It's a fairly common technique in war to cut off food and supplies from your enemy to subdue them into submission.  The tactic that the North used during the war was to make it as painful as possible to end it as soon as possible.  Most military strategists will employ the same strategy lest they end up like Vietnam or Afghanistan. 

Originally Posted by pookieman

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

Lincoln freed the slaves on his deathbed? Is that a joke? He agreed to free the slaves well before his death but he didn't give a damn about the slaves.

Fundamental reading can be

roll.gif

Dude just read the words he wanted to read. #+%! the rest of them he said
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by psk2310

I read some time ago that shark migratory patterns in the Atlantic follow the old slave trade shipping routes from African to Europe, America, & the Carribean. Ships used to dump slaves overboard so much so that sharks followed these ships to eat. To think that sharks still follow these migratory patterns is crazy.
source?

First time I have ever heard that. But if it is true, that is wild.  
grin.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I read some time ago that shark migratory patterns in the Atlantic follow the old slave trade shipping routes from African to Europe, America, & the Carribean. Ships used to dump slaves overboard so much so that sharks followed these ships to eat. To think that sharks still follow these migratory patterns is crazy.
source?

grin.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif
I doubt that's true.
laugh.gif

Sharks have been around since dinosaurs and all signs point to them behaving the same way for years.

Interesting thread though.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sbsallday12

interesting thread. not sure about the validity of statements though lol

+1. Was a history major in college. 95% of the stuff in this thread is false. Washington was the 16th president? Lincoln was half black? Lincoln owned slaves? 200 million slaves overboard?
roll.gif
come on guys. Stop repeating stuff that your drunk uncle said at a cookout.

Originally Posted by Wr

slavery is common around the world, but when it came to "blacks" slavery it took on an even more in-humane form. Kidnapping, rapping, dehumanizing, creating legislation to deem black as sub human were standard practices of "black" slavery.
Nah, the Japanese did this to... everyone. And this was WWII, so less than a century ago.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by cguy610

Poor whites fought the Civil War for a few rich plantation owners.  Just like in today's society, poor whites fight for the small percentage of the rich. 
Funny how that works out. People would rather appear to be associated with people with power rather than have some of their own.
However, there were laws that were enacted to make the white indentured servants superior to the black slaves.  That was done to separate them socially and deter the whites from teaching the blacks.
Also, the Lincoln statements are fairly true. Furthermore, the Emancipation Proclamation was created to help the North gain more soldiers in "free" slaves and to hurt the Souths exports. There was a law enacted prior to the EP stating that any slave/black person above the North/South border was considered free and therefore could enlist in the Union.

I personally feel that if Stonewall Jackson was not accidentally killed by one of his own men, that the Civil war would have turned out a lot differently.  Prior to his death, he was the brains behind the Confederacy's victories . It wasn't until his death that the Union started to win. They went through about 4-5 Generals bc they couldn't get the job done.
laugh.gif
US History teacher checking in to say.... THIS
I tell my students this during my lectures (let them know it's my opinion of course)... that dude Stonewall was the truth as far as military leadership went 
pimp.gif

200px-Stonewall_Jackson.jpg

Also - one of the best reads I have had in a long time on NT, maybe it's because I teach the Civil War, but regardless the thread is great... minus all the dumb stuff about Lincoln being black 
roll.gif

Ironically just as much inaccuracy posted in this thread in order to debunk historical inaccuracies.

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Kramer

Originally Posted by Wr

From what a friend told me, he's at least the 3rd. They call it the "black grandmother in the closet". George Washington was not the first president. There were 15 others before him.
Werent they just president of the continental congress or somethin though?
Yes. 
lolwut, yes there were "presidents" before him but Washington was the first for the United States

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

source?

grin.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif
This is absolutely ridiculous.
laugh.gif

PS I'm sure for as long as sea navigation has existed sharks have followed ships looking for something to eat.

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Kramer

Werent they just president of the continental congress or somethin though?
Yes. 
lolwut, yes there were "presidents" before him but Washington was the first for the United States
People nowadays are left with so much revisionist history, that it becomes very difficult to convince the logical. America, just like any other new thing had a few hiccups before it got to stepping. 

Back
Top Bottom