Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Anyone have experience renovating their garage? Thinking about doing my floor first (and then walls). Doing some research I've seen people use concrete paint or stain or epoxy following the prep process of cleaning/etching. Anyone have experience doing this? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. Something like this:

I got my garage floors re-done with epoxy. The previous owner used the cheap home depot kit and I would not recommend it.. see before photo.. Hire a professional with the industrial grade stuff. I paid $4.50 sq/ft with 10yr warranty and well worth it.

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

I got my garage floors re-done with epoxy. The previous owner used the cheap home depot kit and I would not recommend it.. see before photo.. Hire a professional with the industrial grade stuff. I paid $4.50 sq/ft with 10yr warranty and well worth it.

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Looks nice. So you'd recommend hiring rather than taking it on myself?

Epoxying a garage floor isn't, imo, a skilled labor. It's one of the easiest DIY jobs there is as a homeowner. If you're not handy I get it though.

Epoxying a garage floor isn't, imo, a skilled labor. It's one of the easiest DIY jobs there is as a homeowner. If you're not handy I get it though.

If the people in these YT videos can do it I feel I can :lol:

I'm pretty handy and I've worked construction/roofing/painting type jobs in the distant past so I feel like it shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Maybe the materials is they key and the Home Depot grade stuff just won't cut it?

If the people in these YT videos can do it I feel I can :lol:

I'm pretty handy and I've worked construction/roofing/painting type jobs in the distant past so I feel like it shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Maybe the materials is they key and the Home Depot grade stuff just won't cut it?
Alot of time, as in painting for instance, prep work is key to the outcome. Based on your background you should be able to do it.

Anyone got a murphy bed? Our place we got is somewhat small rooms and seems like something to consider.
they make kits for them, they run about $1000. Only time I have ever used one was the Omni in Houston iirc had a queen sized murphy bed and it was perfectly sturdy and operation.

Alot of time, as in painting for instance, prep work is key to the outcome. Based on your background you should be able to do it.

Heard some people give decent reviews on this stuff too

Anyone have experience renovating their garage? Thinking about doing my floor first (and then walls). Doing some research I've seen people use concrete paint or stain or epoxy following the prep process of cleaning/etching. Anyone have experience doing this? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. Something like this:

memphissfinest memphissfinest has a SICK garage and I believe he does all his own work. Might be of help here.

Have a lot of learning to do. Never really lived in a house before grew up in apartments.

Buying this house got me a little overwhelmed. There’s all sorts of stuff like HVAC, water heaters, etc stuff i know nothing about. Home inspection report came back and seems like place is in decently good shape didn’t seem like anything major. Everything next to it was like check with a plumber, check with a xyz, get service done etc. Are people actually getting service done every year on all these different systems and stuff in a house? I’ve lived in apartments for 3+ years and never really did a single thing except getting the place cleaned here and there.

Have a lot of learning to do. Never really lived in a house before grew up in apartments.

Buying this house got me a little overwhelmed. There’s all sorts of stuff like HVAC, water heaters, etc stuff i know nothing about. Home inspection report came back and seems like place is in decently good shape didn’t seem like anything major. Everything next to it was like check with a plumber, check with a xyz, get service done etc. Are people actually getting service done every year on all these different systems and stuff in a house? I’ve lived in apartments for 3+ years and never really did a single thing except getting the place cleaned here and there.
it's a lot of things to consider. plumbing is one because that one is major. also, make sure your house is free of any infestation like vermins, mites, bedbugs, etc.... check for rotting and molds. hvacs shouldn't be that much of a bother other than keeping it in condition or needs a repair/replacement. what else, noise proofing. it pays to have a reliable realtor and someone that would give a damn.

There's a lot of periodic stuff that you should be doing. HVAC filters every 3 to 6 months, water heater flushing once a year if you have a tank, vents cleaned every 1 or 2 years. Stuff like that. Your house won't fall apart if you fall behind or miss stuff but it definitely helps keep things lasting longer and prevents bigger issues. It seems overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Who was your home inspector? If they were referred by the realtor I would get a second opinion.

Agreed. My house was built in 2006, I bought in 2016. It’s wild how the home inspector caught some of the tiniest details but missed major ish. You see the lengthy report and the little things and expect they were very thorough. Unfortunately sometimes you don’t even realize stuff that should’ve been caught until a year or more later.

Agreed. My house was built in 2006, I bought in 2016. It’s wild how the home inspector caught some of the tiniest details but missed major ish. You see the lengthy report and the little things and expect they were very thorough. Unfortunately sometimes you don’t even realize stuff that should’ve been caught until a year or more later.

There's a lot of periodic stuff that you should be doing. HVAC filters every 3 to 6 months, water heater flushing once a year if you have a tank, vents cleaned every 1 or 2 years. Stuff like that. Your house won't fall apart if you fall behind or miss stuff but it definitely helps keep things lasting longer and prevents bigger issues. It seems overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it eventually.
I didn’t know vent cleaning was a thing until I saw a local commercial about it. Interesting how they do it. How much do they usually charge?

I didn’t know vent cleaning was a thing until I saw a local commercial about it. Interesting how they do it. How much do they usually charge?

When my basement flooded a few years ago, we called a vent cleaner to ensure there was no mold / stank in our vents. I think he charged around $700? Bull****ted with him, dude quit his corporate job and started the vent cleaning company which is basically him and the 1 specialized truck, and then possibly 1 employee if needed. He said he makes bank and its easy as ****.

Back
Top Bottom