Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Have a lot of learning to do. Never really lived in a house before grew up in apartments.

Buying this house got me a little overwhelmed. There’s all sorts of stuff like HVAC, water heaters, etc stuff i know nothing about. Home inspection report came back and seems like place is in decently good shape didn’t seem like anything major. Everything next to it was like check with a plumber, check with a xyz, get service done etc. Are people actually getting service done every year on all these different systems and stuff in a house? I’ve lived in apartments for 3+ years and never really did a single thing except getting the place cleaned here and there.

What were the items listed that needed checking?

Not sure where you are located, but here in Denver one of the things you need to do is pay the $99 sewer scope to make sure there are no roots in the line and/or cracks / collapsing. That $99 fee could save you $10-30k if the sewer line needs replacing, which is a huge process and needs city permits to tap into the street sewer, cut concrete, dig your yard up, etc.

Other big ticket items are the roof, the furnace, the AC compressor, sprinkler system. If those are all in decent condition and newer, they would make up most of the major replacement expenses. As already mentioned by others in this thread, you can "maintain" everything and it should last longer. Clean the AC compressor outside 1-2x a year by washing off the dirt with a hose, replace HVAC filters (3 months max IMO), get your carpets professionally cleaned, etc. As mentioned with the sewer line, some people have Roto-Rooter come out and "chop" up anything in their sewer line every few years (roots can snake their way into the line and cause backups, the company sends some Matrix looking metal cable with a spinning blade on the end to chop anything down its path).

I’ll be honest guys i have no idea what any of you are saying in regards to this home maintenance stuff you might as well be speaking French.

Luckily I bought (buying) a condo townhouse type place so i think sewer roof etc is done by the HOA under something called walls out coverage. So i’m starting with mainly the interior stuff.

Home inspector was through my agent (buying side agent). And my agent is a good personal friend so trust her recommendation.

The place overall is in good shape just need to replace the HVAC i think. Its working but it’s probably nearing the end of its useful life and I’d prefer to just get something nice and new in. It’s about 18 years old. Nothing else on the report seemed too major and will use it as some negotiation in the repair request.

Attachments

• E30A0AE5-3DF1-4812-AA7A-D6C219352C3D.jpeg
    E30A0AE5-3DF1-4812-AA7A-D6C219352C3D.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 954902DF-10EE-4E75-837D-A538BB765B4E.jpeg
    954902DF-10EE-4E75-837D-A538BB765B4E.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 92837D6C-2E46-4587-9E02-7B868147883F.jpeg
    92837D6C-2E46-4587-9E02-7B868147883F.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 258
I’ll be honest guys i have no idea what any of you are saying in regards to this home maintenance stuff you might as well be speaking French.

Luckily I bought (buying) a condo townhouse type place so i think sewer roof etc is done by the HOA under something called walls out coverage. So i’m starting with mainly the interior stuff.

Home inspector was through my agent (buying side agent). And my agent is a good personal friend so trust her recommendation.

The place overall is in good shape just need to replace the HVAC i think. Its working but it’s probably nearing the end of its useful life and I’d prefer to just get something nice and new in. It’s about 18 years old. Nothing else on the report seemed too major and will use it as some negotiation in the repair request.
If the agent is a "good" personal friend your inspection should be good but ime a lot of time agents and inspectors are in cahoots to make the sale.

If the agent is a "good" personal friend your inspection should be good but ime a lot of time agents and inspectors are in cahoots to make the sale.
Yea we fell into this when we bought our first place. The agent was a "Friend". We used her inspector who missed everything somehow. We closed and thought we were good. She bought us some cheap *** gift at close and never heard from her again. SMH. Find your own inspector.

You’ll be aight. I’ve had nothing but 1921 homes and nothing happens till you start demoing but the houses back then we’re built to last

Heard some people give decent reviews on this stuff too

I have that myself and I’m happy with it

Not directed at you, but I always tell people don’t be too naive about your agent being a good friend/family friend/relative and they have your best interest. At the end of the day you’re a fat paycheck to them anywhere from 10-50k, so your best interest may not be their best interest

Bought some homeowners insurance for the condo today. Any of you Cali people get the supplementary earthquake insurance? I didn’t based off my limited interwebz research.

I’m starting to make the list of stuff we want to do - looking like about $25k out of pocket with it installed.

Replace HVAC
Get a water softener
Replace dishwasher
Replace blinds in 3 bedrooms
77 inch oled
1 sofa
1 kitchen table
3 beds
1 coffee table
Kitchen (pans through utensils)

I suggest a structural engineer to inspect the complex's fascade and other structural items to help avoid a major HOA increase. I've had 2 friends have their HOA fees 2x and 3x because of delayed repairs that ballooned to millions of dollars by the time they were needed.

And as mentioned, always get an independent inspector. We hired the most expensive inspector, he was president of the state home inspector group, 2x the price of the avg inspector...he missed nothing and everything he said would happen was true.

Last edited:
At 6 years he shouldn't have been anything. Less than 2 yrs is when they hit you!
15-20% I thought. Guessing after 6 years his property appreciated well over 6 figs if not 300k+. So yeah that’d be super tough one to swallow for me.

Back
Top Bottom