Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Yea I’m also in a suburb of Toronto, home prices here are no joke.

Do you know what the process is for buying in the USA? I was thinking of buying in Florida something by the beach. Are there any other beach cities in America you guys recommend?
Do you want it to be a place with a bit of a party atmosphere? Or something more quiet and laid back?

I have a “beach house” an hour away. Bought it and renovated it last year. Used it during Christmas Break, used it during Spring Break, will use it in a couple of weeks and then again in July. We realized we were going on vacation to the beach a lot and spending a lot on rentals, so wanted to get one and set it up exactly how we wanted. We are trying to short term rent it when we aren’t there, but lady in neighborhood keeps trying to ruin that (see previous posts).

Considered buying one on the Gulf Coast (we are on the Atlantic), but wanted it to be more accessible. This made the renovation a lot easier too. Could run back and forth on a week night. Have a friend that bought one three hours from home and he has basically spent every weekend for the last six months running up there to meet contractors and stuff.

Want to eventually grab a lake house in rural Minnesota, but it will be a few years and I don’t think I would take on as much of a project.

Why rural mn? You from here?

Just wondering, you could find tons of lake houses here that won’t break the bank.

People love Danbury wi too. It’s fun out there in the summer. Would be a good place for a rental.

Last edited:
Not trying to be funny but have you been to Florida?

It’s not for everyone.

Lol I visited it a couple times. I thought it was really pretty tbh. Keep in mind we don’t have beaches in Canada, at least around Toronto. And it was like a 2 hr flight ,$100 really accessible to a Canadian.

But I also never been to any other states with beaches/lakes and so I don’t know what else is there. I’d love recommendations.

I have a wife and two kids so not looking for a party beach city, but something nice that we can escape to. That’s most likely what we’re doing with the proceeds of the sale from the rental spot.

since sale is done We been reading non stop about international real estate, checked out
Mexico/South America , Egypt, Turkey… at the end of the day nothing safer than Canada/USA.

And so beach towns or lake towns with nice scenery and culture. Sub $300k so immediately I think cali is out of equation and why I was lookin at florida

Why not visit a few more times over the next few months and this summer and buy in Jan 2023? probably better for taxes and you can wait to see how the economy plays out + prices are lower then usually for housing

at the end of the day nobody is more right than you when it comes to that choice.

Lol I visited it a couple times. I thought it was really pretty tbh. Keep in mind we don’t have beaches in Canada, at least around Toronto. And it was like a 2 hr flight ,$100 really accessible to a Canadian.

But I also never been to any other states with beaches/lakes and so I don’t know what else is there. I’d love recommendations.

I have a wife and two kids so not looking for a party beach city, but something nice that we can escape to. That’s most likely what we’re doing with the proceeds of the sale from the rental spot.

since sale is done We been reading non stop about international real estate, checked out
Mexico/South America , Egypt, Turkey… at the end of the day nothing safer than Canada/USA.

And so beach towns or lake towns with nice scenery and culture. Sub $300k so immediately I think cali is out of equation and why I was lookin at florida
Could maybe find something in the Carolina’s or around that area

I was gonna say Cape Cod or there’s a bunch of other beach towns here in MA but I doubt you can find a shack for 300k

Yea I’m also in a suburb of Toronto, home prices here are no joke.

Do you know what the process is for buying in the USA? I was thinking of buying in Florida something by the beach. Are there any other beach cities in America you guys recommend?
California dreaming bro.

One word, ASIA.

Could maybe find something in the Carolina’s or around that area

I was gonna say Cape Cod or there’s a bunch of other beach towns here in MA but I doubt you can find a shack for 300k

I second the Carolina’s or maybe something in GA.

florida is super expensive too these days. It’s not like the old days and you could get a crib for 200k.

Yeah you wouldn’t be able to get anything at that price from Maryland on north. Florida has also gotten expensive over the pandemic.

Like others have said, might be some opportunities in the Carolinas. Maybe Alabama?

Yeah if all you care about is being on the water and want cheap Alabama or Mississippi would probably work.

Why rural mn? You from here?

Just wondering, you could find tons of lake houses here that won’t break the bank.

People love Danbury wi too. It’s fun out there in the summer. Would be a good place for a rental.
Originally from Minneapolis. Have visions of taking my kids up there in the summers. Decent lake houses up there can be had for $300-$500k up north.

For sure, maybe even less some places.

My grandparents lived on a lake in Eden prairie and had a boat on lake Minnetonka. Probably my favorite places when I was a kid.

You can buy tons of property in the UP of Michigan with lakes and waterfront. Depends on how rural you want to be.

Another down south area is Lake of the Ozarks

Closing costs, realtor and my Dad feel like its a buyers market and i should just accept but negotiating 101 says never take the first offer plus it hasnt even been on the market a weekend or had an open house

Closing costs, realtor and my Dad feel like its a buyers market and i should just accept but negotiating 101 says never take the first offer plus it hasnt even been on the market a weekend or had an open house

It is a buyers market - in saying that F em

Closing costs are part of the deal :lol:.That's what you sign up for when buying a house. Counter with 1k and keep it moving

I'm house shopping now and the realtor I deal with basically told me that if I wanted a house (NJ areas not even that close to NYC) that I'd have to offer like $50k over asking.

not always true

motivated sellers are open to paying closing costs
of course, can make concessions with closing costs, move-out dates, repairs/renovations etc. That's where the negotiations come in. OP is selling and got the leverage if he wants it. I've asked for closing costs concessions instead of repairs/renovations, but have never given any

For sure, maybe even less some places.

My grandparents lived on a lake in Eden prairie and had a boat on lake Minnetonka. Probably my favorite places when I was a kid.
Spent many summers out on Lake Minnetonka as a youth. Was a poor kid from the southside but had a great uncle that lived out there.

Back
Top Bottom