Hop Step Then Pivot

Is that a travel? I always see people do this in the gym. I always thought after you hop step, you have to jump off with two feet.

Im pretty sure this is not considered a travel in the NBA but at every other level it is a travel

It's not a travel in the NBA.  Here's the official NBA rules on traveling...
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.

either one of them can be pivot foot. i always do that hop step, pump fake and do a kobe spin

But if you take a step going into the hop step (which most people do), then you cant pivot from the hop step.

You cant step, hop step then pivot.

Isnt the whole point of a hop step to jump off two feet into it? Then you can pivot yeah...

Atleast thats how I think of it.

I've always wondered this and another thing--Is it a travel when you do a hesitation move, cross over and then take a few dribbles and then do a hop step to penetrate into the paint and go up for the lay up.

When I do the hesitation move, I'll lift the side of my leg thats on the same side of the ball (I.E. if the ball is on the right hand, I'll hesitate to the right), but I'll keep the other foot planted so both my feet don't really leave the ground. It's a pretty effective move if you're quick enough and strong enough to get through into the paint, but every time I do it and score people call travel. I never understood this.

Is this because people think both my feet go up when I hesitate?

No.its not. The jump stop is the first fundamental thing I teach my kids/team. Im a basketball coach for the past 4years now at a good level. Wish more kids knew how to do it. Helps you become more under control and all types of basketball ways.

Really you pick up your dribble mid air. Therefore you can establish any pivot. That's how I take it. It's no different than picking
Up your dribble while walking/running and still pivot off either.

Such an awkward looking move. I thought the landing on two feet part counted as two steps. Knowing its not a travel should help my up and under game though.

i think those rules are referring to how you pivot as you receive the ball. i always thought after you hop stepped, both feet had to land on the ground at the same time and no more pivoting

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio

I've always wondered this and another thing--Is it a travel when you do a hesitation move, cross over and then take a few dribbles and then do a hop step to penetrate into the paint and go up for the lay up.
1d9360a26d10a67c44d0c41aa5ca09e836af72bf_r.gif

As for OP, it's all about the dribble. A player can't pick up his dribble, gather, hop step and then pivot.  The end of the dribble and the hop step have to happen in one fluid motion with no steps in between. That's one count. Then your subsequent pivot is your second count. The Wade GW posted above is a perfect example. 

Back
Top Bottom