Houston Rockets 2017 Preseason Thread - Spurs MyPlayers Take Over

Two players agreed to terms with the Rockets after the draft.

After going undrafted in the 2017 NBA Draft, Cameron Oliver and L.J. Peak both agreed to terms with the Rockets. Oliver, out of Nevada, is a strong big man who has the potential to be a great stretch four in the league. He can also probably play a small-ball center for the Rockets should the need come. Peak, out of Georgetown, is a hard-playing guard that can flat score with ease. We will see after summer league if both of these players make the team, but it will still be exciting to watch them as they start their careers.

Cameron Oliver – Nevada

Oliver is one of the players that I said should be drafted with one of our picks, so it sure is great that he was available after the draft. Oliver is a big and athletic player who has the potential to be a force in the league. He also has an ever-improving 3-point shot that will be perfect for the Rockets. Last season at Nevada, Oliver shot 38.4% from beyond the arc. If his pinned tweet is an indication of anything, then he will be a great player in Houston.

L.J. Peak – Georgetown

L.J. Peak is an interesting fit for the Rockets. After three years at Georgetown, he declared for the NBA draft and went undrafted. Houston picked him up due to his great athleticism and scoring ability. He has the ability to shoot the 3 well but did not really show it last season. He only shot 32% last year from beyond the arc after shooting 40% the year before. He is still a great ball handler and could be great off the bench of the Rockets. - Fansided

Houston Rockets: Isaiah Hartenstein will Stay Overseas This Year

The newest addition to the Rockets will not join the team this season.

Isaiah Hartenstein, the #43 overall pick in last night’s draft for the Rockets, will not sign with the team this season. This decision was made by Daryl Morey in a press conference late last night. This move is likely to save the cap space needed to sign him and go after a star. Every dollar counts when trying to sign a big name like Chris Paul or Blake Griffin. After being drafted last night, Hartenstein had some interesting things to say, as reported by Jonathan Feigen.

Hartenstein quotes

On his back problems:

“I’m perfectly fine. The whole season, had no issues. Never sat out a practice, never sat out a game.”

This quote is very encouraging for the Rockets. One of the only reasons he fell to the second round was due to his back problems. If he is healthy, then the Rockets got first round talent late in the draft.

On his versatility:

“Being mobile for my height, I can put the ball on the floor, defend different positions. Me being very versatile helps a lot.”

A versatile big man will be very helpful to the Rockets. The ability to defend multiple positions is a coveted skill that not many players have, especially those that are 7’1.

On winning mentality:

“I just want to be a winner. That’s just being a champion at the end of my career, that people know I’m a champion.”

This mentality is a perfect one to have. He will do whatever it takes to bring the Rockets a championship. Hopefully, that includes willingly staying overseas for at least another season. - Fansided

Glad German D-Mo is staying overseas

I'm fully expecting the Rockets to not make any "blockbuster" type moves this offseason per usual. Other teams just have so much more to offer :smh:

Wasn't expecting Harden to win MVP ever since he got hurt and started resting those last 3 weeks of the season (along with the Westbrook media blitz in general), but to have Gordon win 6th Man of The Year, MDA win Coach of The Year, and Bev make All-Defensive team and him not win MVP is crazy. Harden really go dealt a bad hand like 3 years in a row

Wasn't expecting Harden to win MVP ever since he got hurt and started resting those last 3 weeks of the season (along with the Westbrook media blitz in general), but to have Gordon win 6th Man of The Year, MDA win Coach of The Year, and Bev make All-Defensive team and him not win MVP is crazy. Harden really go dealt a bad hand like 3 years in a row

The same people who do the voting don't respect his game. That defensive lowlight video changed the whole perception of him and definitely altered his legacy.

The same people who do the voting don't respect his game. That defensive lowlight video changed the whole perception of him and definitely altered his legacy.

well to be fair...he was god awful on d that year :smh:

he's definitely improved since then though, but won't get recognition for that. in fact...he has just enough relapses that he'll continue to have that reputation.

Rockets Summer League Roster:

Matt Jones - Duke
Ray McCallum - Detroit
Erik McCree - Louisiana Tech
L.J. Peak - Georgetown
Cameron Oliver - Nevada
George De Paulo - Brazil
Troy Williams - Indiana
Kyle Wiltjer - Gonzaga
Sam Dekker - Wisconsin
Montrezl Harrell - Louisville
Zhou Qi - China
Isaiah Hartenstein - Germany
Isaiah Taylor - Texas
Chris Johnson - Lousiana State

George De Paulo - Brazil

Great size for the PG position, has amazing physical tools to play basketball, 7’ 0” wingspan with huge hands.

I'm intrigued

I don't really feel sorry for my guy JH. He balled out no doubt, but there are players balling out every day. He needs the constant criticism/chip on his shoulder b/c without it, he's pretty lazy and caught up into himself. With it, he balls out. His talent is out of this world, and he's not really maximizing it imo.

gonna miss Beverly's defense, who we need to fill his role.

Well this is a long shot but Houston did pick up Matt Jones for their summer league squad. Now I know nothing can prepare a player in the college ranks for defending far superior talent on the pro level but Jones was considered an elite collegiate defender towards the back end of his career at Duke. He's a pretty good spot up shooter too.

Beverly's grit and toughness will not be replaced anytime soon, if at all but there should be some bargain defender/shooters somewhere out there on the market. Tony Allen is floating around out there. A lot of miles on him but understands defense and still capable of being a disruptor.

Tony Allen one of the best defenders in the league and I like him but no in this offense :lol:.

He a liability in this

Last edited:
DDbJdktXUAEUISf

Sucks to give up Bev, but that's the bullet you have to bite to get another star here. Ryno definitely should have been the one traded. Maybe that's the next move, idk. Gonna be real hard to replace that grit and toughness from Bev. He'll def be missed. Just wondering what the next move is. Need a legit backup C, and just some athletic guys in general.

Last edited:
Ryno should of been shipped instead but hopefully he's the next piece if this 3 way trade really does go down for PG. we probably gonna have to give up a young player too with Ryno

SHEESH. We definitely have to shore up the bench. Pretty funny that Dekker and Harrell are being traded after their time got limited anyway :lol: :smh: Would be nice to draft guys and really develop them, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

So on top of Deandre Liggins and Tim Quarterman (who I just found out was an NBA player), the Hawks traded us Ryan Kelly for cash. According to @Essential1 he played well under MDA as a Laker. Ehh. He's a low-cost younger Ryan Anderson to me til further notice

Back
Top Bottom