How Are You A Fan of A Team that...

reazson

Banned
is not in the same city/state you live in?

For example, I never understood how people that live in Cleveland could be Pittsburgh Steelers fans...it really bugs me

What makes you a fan of a non-home team??

They are either bandwagon fans, or were brought up to like that certain team cause their parents liked the team (ie. Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, etc).

It is kinda weird, I'm a 49ers fan but I live in L.A.

That's the only pro sports team I like that's outside of my city.

My dad was a fan, so I think sometimes it goes with how you were raised to root for certain teams.

I never was a fan of the Raiders or Rams when they were here.

Being a fan of the coach, the players, the way they play, etc.

I started being a Mavs fan back when Dirk was closing his second year, and I followed them ever since (before they were a playoff team). I never bought intothe whole "you have to root for your home team," ALTHOUGH, I love the A's, 49ers, and yes, I even like the Warriors.
laugh.gif

I've seriously considered selling property I own in California and go buy a house in Dallas.
nerd.gif
EDIT:
They are either bandwagon fans, or were brought up to like that certain team cause their parents liked the team (ie. Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, etc).
Damn, I'm a bandwagon fan..
frown.gif
laugh.gif

ima ******** fan..not from d.c. but i grew up in maryland and everyone in my family is a ******** fan.

ima heat fan because shaq is my favorite bball player..i liked shaq since i can remember...i started likin him cuz evryone else i knew was a MJ fan...so thafirst notable player after MJ was penny and shaq which made me a shaq fan back in the mid 90's.

ima duke fan because my older brotha is a duke fan and he kinda put me onto the blue devis back when i could start to remember watchin sports..and it sohappened to b aroun the '95-'96 seasons when duke was
sick.gif
and i will always remember duke bein beat by wake forest(tim duncan) and unc! i hatedWF..lol..

is not in the same city/state you live in?

For example, I never understood how people that live in Cleveland could be Pittsburgh Steelers fans...it really bugs me

What makes you a fan of a non-home team??
and just why do u have to like a team in the city or state you live in?
Im not from Orlando, I stay here now. do I have to like the magic?
Im not from Virginia, but If I move there do I have to like UVA or Virginia tech?

it should bug you that the only reason u like and support a team is because u live in the same city/state as them. not because u like theorganization, or u like certain players or u like their style of play, but because they rent an arena where you live.

Im from NY, who am I supposed to like, Jets? Giants? Knicks? Yankees? Mets?

with ESPN, NBATV, NFL Ticket, and ESPN Gameplan is it so far fetched to believe that a fan can like teams outside of their city or state boundaries. I justdont follow this type of thinking.

live in LA and dont have a football team. My Uncle lived in N.O and put me up on the Saints back in the day tho.

Mez 0ne wrote:
False!

Transplanted fan.

There's one example.

I grew up on the Lakers/Angels/Rams, and I was a fan of all three (until the Rams moved out of SoCal for NO damn reason). So in 2000, I was a Lakers/Angelsfan... then I moved out on my own, to Tennessee. So at that point, I'm supposed to just give up on my Lakers and Angels? I don't live in CA anymore,so... I have to give up on 'em?

Not it.

That's an example of a transplanted fan, my friend.

laugh.gif
@ "They're just fans of teams that are outside of their statebecause they're bandwagon fans or they're just fans 'cause their parents liked 'em."

Open your mind, man.

I'm a 49ers fan because my mom is from San Fran. And she put me onto them. Also Steve Young played his college ball 5 minutes away, so I cheered for himbecause of his ties to the area. A lot of people around here are 49ers fans for the same reason. There is no pro football here, so I cheer for close teams.Except for the Broncos because I hate John Elway.

For myself-

NBA: Born and raised in Chicago, moved to the Bay Area with my parents. Therefore, I follow the Bulls and Warriors.
MLB: My brother and I don't get along and I was an+@!# as a kid. So when we grew up I naturally had to like a team he didn't. The Cubs and Mets had arivalary back in the day, therefore I became a Mets fan. Even through Anthony Young. I support the White Sox, but I'm not a huge fan by any means.
Football: I follow the Bears and Raiders. Ironically, I liked the Raiders before I moved to the Bay Area. Bo Jackson was/is one of my all time favoriteplayers.

I follow college football, but don't have a real favorite team or anything. I am proud of the University of Illinois though for putting together atolerable football team.

College basketball - I followed Georgetown growing up because of AI, but I'm not a huge fan. UNC for obvious reaons, other than that it's whatever. Ilike to follow local kids and see how they do.

That would be pretty boring if you have to be a fan of a team from where you were born. As long as you follow a team with some loyalty and know the team, thenwho cares? It is a bit ridiculous to "criticize" someone for liking a certain team without being from there, and make them justify it. Don't bemad that Cleveland people like the Steelers, they are a great franchise

personally i'm a fan of all local teams because those are the teams i grew up watching. but i mean for fans who's city doesn't have a team then iguess they gotta go with either a player or players they like or hop on the bandwagon

I live in Jersey, my NFL team is the Cowboys. Since I was young beore I knew sports to much, most of my family followed th Cowboys. When I started to pick upon sports (football in this case) I started to follow them since I already knew them. Then over the years I really followed & supported them &they'll be my team forever. It makes me
laugh.gif
when people think with this 'they ain't your home team' logic.

indifferent.gif
to people who say you're a bandwagoner b/c of that.
laugh.gif

I live in CT, but am somehow a 49ers and a Lakers fan... The only reason i like either of them is they were good when i first started watching sports(6-7 yearsago). Plus the 9ers had number 80
pimp.gif

I never understood how people can be a fan of a team just because they live there. If you being their is the only reason you like the team your liking them forthe wrong reasons.

Sometimes, it just depends on the situation. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Ohio State but I supported their basketball program while Mike and Greg werethere since I knew them personally. I'll support the Grizzlies and the Trailblazers but I won't put them ahead of home.

Personally, I don't care to know how they became a fan of their team. I do hate when people switch fromteam to team or it blatantly looks like they picked anyone with a winning tradition and hypes them up during a promising year for them. I also hate when peoplelose to a certain team and then focus on that team losing more than their own team winning.

I think blondsoccrplyr (from Indiana) was a fan of The Green Bay Packers, Men's Duke Basketball, Women's UConn. Basketball, and Texas Football. Sonposting at the very end of the game with a picture of himself throwing up the horns with a Texas shirt on.
smh.gif
I forgot what his NBA affiliation was but it wasprobably like...the Spurs.
eyes.gif
That right there is that grade A bull +%*+.

I'm a fan of all Houston teams, but I live in Florida, but was born in Houston. My Dad and older brothers are all Rockets/Astros fans so when I startedgetting into sports I adopted all the Houston teams. And when the Texans were made we became Texans football fans too. So basically I'm a diehard fan of myteams because of my family. Its really, hard to be a fan of a team other than the local team, cause you dont get to see all the games and see what is happeningevery game. Good thing I have League Pass this year though
pimp.gif

Only non-Michigan team I root for are my Chicago Bulls. My cuzin got me into this cat named 23 when I was 6 years old and I have been obsessed with him and theBulls ever since. Never got off any of my teams bandwagons and never will.

It really really shouldn't matter whether you live there or not, the key is that you stick to your teams through the good and the bad.

In my opinion, it doesn't even matter that much if at some point your #1 team changes, but so long as this isn't happening with win/loss cycles. Forexample, if you live in California for 15 years of your life and root for a CA team, but then move to NY for the next 10 years of your life... who knows, maybeyou'll start going to NY games (just 'cause you're there anyway), making NY friends, watching the NY team on local broadcasts, have sports partieswith your friends, and start growing to really really like your NY team over the years. In time you may even say the NY team is your favorite, but that youstill follow your CA team when possible. You're not "bandwagon-ing" so long as your reasons for changing are not related to who's winning andwho's losing.... (okay, and assuming of course, you're not changing every other year or anything like that. you gotta stick with your team for someEXTENDED period of time, at least.)

i live in orange county and the only really local team i like is the lakers. i'm a cowboys fan for football, wisconsin fan for college sports, dallas starsfan for hockey, yankees for baseball. just the way i was raised. my dad grew up rooting for cowboys, wisconsin, and yankees and i just started liking the starsfor mike modano

im not from ohio, but i used to go to OSU games when i was a kid when i visited my fav uncle who lived near cleveland. i went to an OSU game before i even wentto a Maryland game

but i still like UMD over OSU

Back
Top Bottom