How did you handle your college speech class? vol..stage fright

Originally Posted by Girl Thats Drob

Originally Posted by bilbo07

man for our final we had to give a 5 minute speech with no note cards or anything. when i went up to give my presentation on high def televisions i got so shook my knee started twitching. so as im giving my speech while my knee is doing the harlem shake i start to notice these two girls in the back of the class whispering to each other and pointing at my knee. once i saw that i went into a straight panic and go blank. at this point i was only about 3 minutes into my speech so to save face i try to turn it into a q and a session for the last 2 mins. i ended up getting a D in the class and refuse to retake it.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

the %%#$?!?!

Well everyone in the class is in the same position as you right?

No one is too worried about how you look, they're more worried and thinking about their speech

i don't even know how i got through speech class. i hate public speaking x 398202332.

iust think about how everyone else has to go through it as well.

Well everyone in the class is in the same position as you right?

No one is too worried about how you look, they're more worried and thinking about their speech

i don't even know how i got through speech class. i hate public speaking x 398202332.

iust think about how everyone else has to go through it as well.

See what i do is bring a flask with whiskey in it. First and foremost, drive to your school first. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. Then take a couple of swigs in the parking lot right before your presentation. Instant confidence boost. Just make sure you don't over drink like I did and start cussing in the middle of your presentation.

See what i do is bring a flask with whiskey in it. First and foremost, drive to your school first. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. Then take a couple of swigs in the parking lot right before your presentation. Instant confidence boost. Just make sure you don't over drink like I did and start cussing in the middle of your presentation.

Originally Posted by eddiee21

I was actually considering this last semester, but never got around to it. Its on my to do list though 
laugh.gif

and OP dont go into "Im giving a speech" mode in your brain. Just be your normal you and talk like youd normally talk to ur class and itll all be gravy, obviously that doesnt mean slang though

Originally Posted by eddiee21

I was actually considering this last semester, but never got around to it. Its on my to do list though 
laugh.gif

and OP dont go into "Im giving a speech" mode in your brain. Just be your normal you and talk like youd normally talk to ur class and itll all be gravy, obviously that doesnt mean slang though

I used to have stage fright until I took initiative to get it under control. Confidence even when passive is noticeable and with it, you're better than most students off the bat. Then, it's just a matter of practice, learning from mistakes, professor criticism, etc. Don't let a bad outing derail you from improvement. Learn from it. As far as the fear itself, just get it done. You're doing this for the grade and for future presentations. Pay no mind to the possibility that someone is "making fun of you." They most likely aren't. Hell, they may not even be listening or paying attention. If they are? who the hell cares.

Some general tips:

Deep Breathing
Introduce yourself, acknowledge the audience.
Eye Contact on all, not just the professor.
Check your motions. Sometimes, you won't even notice yourself fidgeting. We tend to use this as a check on anxiety.
DON'T SAY UH, UHM, ER, HOLD ON, etc. If you have to pause, just pause. Take a couple seconds to collect yourself then continue.

I used to have stage fright until I took initiative to get it under control. Confidence even when passive is noticeable and with it, you're better than most students off the bat. Then, it's just a matter of practice, learning from mistakes, professor criticism, etc. Don't let a bad outing derail you from improvement. Learn from it. As far as the fear itself, just get it done. You're doing this for the grade and for future presentations. Pay no mind to the possibility that someone is "making fun of you." They most likely aren't. Hell, they may not even be listening or paying attention. If they are? who the hell cares.

Some general tips:

Deep Breathing
Introduce yourself, acknowledge the audience.
Eye Contact on all, not just the professor.
Check your motions. Sometimes, you won't even notice yourself fidgeting. We tend to use this as a check on anxiety.
DON'T SAY UH, UHM, ER, HOLD ON, etc. If you have to pause, just pause. Take a couple seconds to collect yourself then continue.

Took a couple of speech classes and I enjoy it. It helped me alot in my other classes.

When I took me first class couple semesters ago, I was scared as heck. Friend told me to take a shot a alcohol before giving a speech so it can boost your confidence and I took his advice and took a shot of Remy for class. Ended up giving a good speech. But I didn't take anymore shot for any of my others speeches. Figure I didn't need too. Since the teacher grade us on eye contact with the audience and not read the note card, I just look at the back wall of the classroom and move my eyes and head side to side looking at the back wall. It seems as if I was looking at my classmates lol.

Like someone said earlier, before you begin ask a question or say sometime funny. Get your audience involve. And practice, practice, and practice.

I really hated the impromptu speeches tho

Took a couple of speech classes and I enjoy it. It helped me alot in my other classes.

When I took me first class couple semesters ago, I was scared as heck. Friend told me to take a shot a alcohol before giving a speech so it can boost your confidence and I took his advice and took a shot of Remy for class. Ended up giving a good speech. But I didn't take anymore shot for any of my others speeches. Figure I didn't need too. Since the teacher grade us on eye contact with the audience and not read the note card, I just look at the back wall of the classroom and move my eyes and head side to side looking at the back wall. It seems as if I was looking at my classmates lol.

Like someone said earlier, before you begin ask a question or say sometime funny. Get your audience involve. And practice, practice, and practice.

I really hated the impromptu speeches tho

Man I loved my speech class. I got an A.
Just look at everyone as if they are under you.
No one in the class was as attractive as me so that helped a lot.
May come off as a douche but it helps.

Man I loved my speech class. I got an A.
Just look at everyone as if they are under you.
No one in the class was as attractive as me so that helped a lot.
May come off as a douche but it helps.

I'm 21 and still get so nervous to present in Public Speaking.

I've heard every tip about presenting with confidence. When I went up there I jus' flowed. Literally out of nowhere.

Hopefully this happens to you OP.

I'm 21 and still get so nervous to present in Public Speaking.

I've heard every tip about presenting with confidence. When I went up there I jus' flowed. Literally out of nowhere.

Hopefully this happens to you OP.

after re-taking it 3 times just get used to it... or may you just make 100's on all the written test because you've taken the class 3 times... got that 'A' though

after re-taking it 3 times just get used to it... or may you just make 100's on all the written test because you've taken the class 3 times... got that 'A' though

Well,
I practiced and memorized most of the parts in my speech. I was able to have little to no pauses and could stay within the time limit. I also scanned my audience first, and took one deep breath before going. I would speak to my audience in a zig-zag, look up to down then left and right. Being able to improvise and adding little jokes helped me a lot too. Also know who you're speaking to, and maybe volunteering first will help. I would volunteer first so I could set the mood or something.

Well,
I practiced and memorized most of the parts in my speech. I was able to have little to no pauses and could stay within the time limit. I also scanned my audience first, and took one deep breath before going. I would speak to my audience in a zig-zag, look up to down then left and right. Being able to improvise and adding little jokes helped me a lot too. Also know who you're speaking to, and maybe volunteering first will help. I would volunteer first so I could set the mood or something.

Back
Top Bottom