How do you become an MLB umpire?

I never understood how these guys got this job.

How much they making?

nerd.gif

- Safari

You become an official for T ball, little league and eventually work your way up. It's a TOUGH job, though.

They have to work their way up through the minors, just like the players. They're evaluated, and after a certain amount of time, they either move up to the next level or get kicked out.

pretty much working your way through the ranks of baseball (little league, high school, college, ect). A friend of mine is getting ready to train to be an nfl ref.  For him he's been in the school system since he graduated from college. Worked at the school's summer sports program.  Helped officiate a few high school games and got noticed by some refs who helped him get in with the nfl.

Its only like one of the hardest jobs in the world to get, literally. There isn't a lot of turnover and it is really tough to get called up for it. One time when I was in AZ for spring training they had an article about it in the paper talking about a guy that it took like 35+ years to make it. They truly have the best of the best in the majors, unlike the NBA.

My 4th grade basketball coach was a ref in the Big 10
pimp.gif

I AM ECAC COLLEGE BASKETBALL REF...

YOU GET CERTIFIED 1ST..

WORK LIL LEAGUE, JV THEN VARSITY HS BALL THEN GO TO CAMPS THATS THE BIG THING IS THE CAMPS. YOU PAY LIKE $200 - $400 FOR A WELL RUN CAMP AND YOU'LL HAVE OBSERVERS THERE TELLING YOU WHAT YOUR STRONG POINTS ARE AND WEAK POINTS. THE MORE CAMPS YOU GO IS WHAT GETS YOU INTO COLLEGE BALL WITH WITH THE JUCO's THEN D3 ~> D1. ONCE YOUR D2 OR D1 YOU CAN START TRYING OUT FOR THE PRO'S

IN BASKETBALL THERE ARE 2 ROADS...COLLEGE AND NBA...THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT ROADS TO TAKE. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT WORKS THE D LEAGUE NOW AND SHOULD MAKE THE NBA WITHIN THE NEXT YR OR SO...I DECIDED TO WORK THE COLLEGE ROUTE...D1 PAYS ANYWHERE FROM $1,800-$3,300 PER GAME DEPENDING THE CONFERENCE. NBA REFS START AT 6 FIGURES FOR LIKE 65 GAMES. COLLEGE REF CAN WORK UP TO 80 GAMES A SEASON.

IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED AND YOUR UNDER 21 GET STARTED ASAP! THE YOUNGER YOU ARE THE MORE DOORS YOU CAN OPEN!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom