how has the internet affected the "sneaker game"?

*Someone suggested posting this as its own thread, if it belongs somewhere else just let me know.*
     Whats up NTers? I’ve been reading this board for a while but have yet to jump in and post/comment. I really want to get some opinions on how the internet has affected the sneaker game.
     Little background on me: I’m a 24 year old college student from the northeast, I’ve loved sneakers ever since I can remember although when I was younger I didn’t know much about them, all I remember is getting a new pair of Airwalks for school every year because my mom wouldn’t/couldn’t spend the money on J’s. Fast forward a bit, I’m making my own money and I have a moderate "collection" including everything from Shimizu SB dunks to OG Trainer SCs to 2009 Space Jams to plain old NB 574s to beater all grey try-on AM90s. You get the idea, I like a little of everything.
     Anyway, I’ve become fascinated with all the stories on this board of people’s collections, pickups, opinions, etc. I think it can clearly be seen that there is sort of a divide between the old school guys who still appreciate walking into a shop and picking up a fresh pair as opposed to the newer(sometimes younger) kids in the game just hopping online and paying over retail from the ‘bay or some other reseller.
     I want opinions. How has the internet affected the sneaker game? We get up to the minute news and info yet there are people who use it as a business. I feel like this would be the best place to get a variety of input so have at it. And be honest.

*Someone suggested posting this as its own thread, if it belongs somewhere else just let me know.*
     Whats up NTers? I’ve been reading this board for a while but have yet to jump in and post/comment. I really want to get some opinions on how the internet has affected the sneaker game.
     Little background on me: I’m a 24 year old college student from the northeast, I’ve loved sneakers ever since I can remember although when I was younger I didn’t know much about them, all I remember is getting a new pair of Airwalks for school every year because my mom wouldn’t/couldn’t spend the money on J’s. Fast forward a bit, I’m making my own money and I have a moderate "collection" including everything from Shimizu SB dunks to OG Trainer SCs to 2009 Space Jams to plain old NB 574s to beater all grey try-on AM90s. You get the idea, I like a little of everything.
     Anyway, I’ve become fascinated with all the stories on this board of people’s collections, pickups, opinions, etc. I think it can clearly be seen that there is sort of a divide between the old school guys who still appreciate walking into a shop and picking up a fresh pair as opposed to the newer(sometimes younger) kids in the game just hopping online and paying over retail from the ‘bay or some other reseller.
     I want opinions. How has the internet affected the sneaker game? We get up to the minute news and info yet there are people who use it as a business. I feel like this would be the best place to get a variety of input so have at it. And be honest.

From buying/selling pov: Easier to get shoes, easier to connect to people, easier to trade information and more market interaction.

From buying/selling pov: Easier to get shoes, easier to connect to people, easier to trade information and more market interaction.

Made it a lot better

It's easier for me to find info, find people selling sneakers, and connect with other sneaker people like here on NT

Made it a lot better

It's easier for me to find info, find people selling sneakers, and connect with other sneaker people like here on NT

Overall it's helped the sneaker game a lot BUT it's ruined one of my real passions. It's created so much hype with all the limited shoes and only so many and blah blah, you gotta order from this site. I'm done, it ruined the game. I've almost always got every shoe I've aimed for but now it's just out of hand. Now I'm leaving and selling everything 

Overall it's helped the sneaker game a lot BUT it's ruined one of my real passions. It's created so much hype with all the limited shoes and only so many and blah blah, you gotta order from this site. I'm done, it ruined the game. I've almost always got every shoe I've aimed for but now it's just out of hand. Now I'm leaving and selling everything 

"how has the internet affected the "sneaker game"?"

- at least now, you can check/see the pair virtually, than have to go to the store every time to have a looky.

"how has the internet affected the "sneaker game"?"

- at least now, you can check/see the pair virtually, than have to go to the store every time to have a looky.

For one, you can now play the sneaker game multiplayer with people around the world. I just hate when you play the sneaker game with people that don't wear headsets.

For one, you can now play the sneaker game multiplayer with people around the world. I just hate when you play the sneaker game with people that don't wear headsets.

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did. When I saw people hoarding unused sneakers on the internet, I thought they were insane since the only reason I ever wanted a pair of kicks was to rock the hell out of 'em.

The internet has legalized hype and biting. It is now alright to rush stores and internet websites to cop the same joints as a million other people! As a youth, it was against the rules to buy (or wear) the same sneakers as someone in the crew or what was popular in another city. If you were caught wearing the same pair of kicks as someone else you got dissed because it made you look like you were jocking another man. Find your own styles!

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did. When I saw people hoarding unused sneakers on the internet, I thought they were insane since the only reason I ever wanted a pair of kicks was to rock the hell out of 'em.

The internet has legalized hype and biting. It is now alright to rush stores and internet websites to cop the same joints as a million other people! As a youth, it was against the rules to buy (or wear) the same sneakers as someone in the crew or what was popular in another city. If you were caught wearing the same pair of kicks as someone else you got dissed because it made you look like you were jocking another man. Find your own styles!

^^^

My man.

It did make finding fresh kicks easier. But at what cost?

Because some lame "camped out" in front of a store and can now sell those sneakers for 200% of their retail price?

Like tru said, all of the rules we lived by coming up in Urban areas in NY have been violated. Everybody wants the same kicks.

They want to store them in closets forever. I used to rock joints straight out the store when I was younger because you wanted to be the first dude on the block with them.

I think it ruined everything. Especially since we now have a term like "sneaker game" because of it.

^^^

My man.

It did make finding fresh kicks easier. But at what cost?

Because some lame "camped out" in front of a store and can now sell those sneakers for 200% of their retail price?

Like tru said, all of the rules we lived by coming up in Urban areas in NY have been violated. Everybody wants the same kicks.

They want to store them in closets forever. I used to rock joints straight out the store when I was younger because you wanted to be the first dude on the block with them.

I think it ruined everything. Especially since we now have a term like "sneaker game" because of it.

thanks guys. i needed some responses for a research project. i have a few days left to gather responses so if anyone else has anything to say please do! i appreciate the insight. 

Back
Top Bottom