how has the internet affected the "sneaker game"?

thanks guys. i needed some responses for a research project. i have a few days left to gather responses so if anyone else has anything to say please do! i appreciate the insight. 

Originally Posted by truniversal

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did. When I saw people hoarding unused sneakers on the internet, I thought they were insane since the only reason I ever wanted a pair of kicks was to rock the hell out of 'em.

The internet has legalized hype and biting. It is now alright to rush stores and internet websites to cop the same joints as a million other people! As a youth, it was against the rules to buy (or wear) the same sneakers as someone in the crew or what was popular in another city. If you were caught wearing the same pair of kicks as someone else you got dissed because it made you look like you were jocking another man. Find your own styles!
Originally Posted by illphillip

It did make finding fresh kicks easier. But at what cost?

Because some lame "camped out" in front of a store and can now sell those sneakers for 200% of their retail price?

Like tru said, all of the rules we lived by coming up in Urban areas in NY have been violated. Everybody wants the same kicks.

They want to store them in closets forever. I used to rock joints straight out the store when I was younger because you wanted to be the first dude on the block with them.

I think it ruined everything. Especially since we now have a term like "sneaker game" because of it.
well said from all of you
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I've met some great people on here that share the same love and it's easier to get certain shoes that would have been impossible to get before. i'm still vexed i never got the euro silver flightposites back then....i went crazy asking my family in the UK to help out cause they were my only shot at them but they didn't care....it was just shoes to them
eyes.gif

these days i don't have that problem as much cause I've made friends overseas, thanks to the internet, who can help out and i help them out just the same with stuff from this side of the pond(not even limited to sneakers anymore).

i really hate the term "sneaker game" and i think it's ridiculous to think people refer to themselves as "sneakerheads"....and that most of these clowns don't even wear the shoes
indifferent.gif
, that $#!t just doesn't make sense to me cause i only buy shoes to wear. granted, i love how a fresh pair of kicks look....but that's only cause i know they will be on my feet shortly...not twenty years from now and not because i want to sell them for a large sum one day.

add that in with all the fakes...hype/campouts...limited bs tz qs'...decline in quality...hike in prices...etc etc....it's really become a #$%^& circus thanks to the internet, and the companies aren't helping either...they had a helping hand in getting the culture to where it is now
tired.gif

i always hoped for some kind of reset....something to come along and destroy it so it can be rebuilt in a better way, but i think it's beyond that now. there's no going back unfortunately.

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did. When I saw people hoarding unused sneakers on the internet, I thought they were insane since the only reason I ever wanted a pair of kicks was to rock the hell out of 'em.

The internet has legalized hype and biting. It is now alright to rush stores and internet websites to cop the same joints as a million other people! As a youth, it was against the rules to buy (or wear) the same sneakers as someone in the crew or what was popular in another city. If you were caught wearing the same pair of kicks as someone else you got dissed because it made you look like you were jocking another man. Find your own styles!
Originally Posted by illphillip

It did make finding fresh kicks easier. But at what cost?

Because some lame "camped out" in front of a store and can now sell those sneakers for 200% of their retail price?

Like tru said, all of the rules we lived by coming up in Urban areas in NY have been violated. Everybody wants the same kicks.

They want to store them in closets forever. I used to rock joints straight out the store when I was younger because you wanted to be the first dude on the block with them.

I think it ruined everything. Especially since we now have a term like "sneaker game" because of it.
well said from all of you
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I've met some great people on here that share the same love and it's easier to get certain shoes that would have been impossible to get before. i'm still vexed i never got the euro silver flightposites back then....i went crazy asking my family in the UK to help out cause they were my only shot at them but they didn't care....it was just shoes to them
eyes.gif

these days i don't have that problem as much cause I've made friends overseas, thanks to the internet, who can help out and i help them out just the same with stuff from this side of the pond(not even limited to sneakers anymore).

i really hate the term "sneaker game" and i think it's ridiculous to think people refer to themselves as "sneakerheads"....and that most of these clowns don't even wear the shoes
indifferent.gif
, that $#!t just doesn't make sense to me cause i only buy shoes to wear. granted, i love how a fresh pair of kicks look....but that's only cause i know they will be on my feet shortly...not twenty years from now and not because i want to sell them for a large sum one day.

add that in with all the fakes...hype/campouts...limited bs tz qs'...decline in quality...hike in prices...etc etc....it's really become a #$%^& circus thanks to the internet, and the companies aren't helping either...they had a helping hand in getting the culture to where it is now
tired.gif

i always hoped for some kind of reset....something to come along and destroy it so it can be rebuilt in a better way, but i think it's beyond that now. there's no going back unfortunately.

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did.

^^^The truth. Before the internet, I truly believed me and my older brother were the only two people who cared about sneakers. There are plently of things that bug me about the internet age. But for every reason that gets to me, I have a great story or person who I met or come across. The positives will always outweigh the negatives.

I didn't realize people collected sneakers until the internet. For me, a closet full of sneakers was nothing special, just something Hip Hop heads did.

^^^The truth. Before the internet, I truly believed me and my older brother were the only two people who cared about sneakers. There are plently of things that bug me about the internet age. But for every reason that gets to me, I have a great story or person who I met or come across. The positives will always outweigh the negatives.

truniversal wrote:

It ain't the 70s anymore. You're not gonna get a 1/1 unless you a celebrity. Be realistic.

truniversal wrote:

It ain't the 70s anymore. You're not gonna get a 1/1 unless you a celebrity. Be realistic.

Back
Top Bottom