How is "********" an appropriate name for a professional sports team ?

Maybe im mistaien but schools such as Miami Oh and SE Louisana didnt make the change to be nice guys. Their hands were forced by the federal gov't who were no longer going to give grants to schools with such names.

I know FSU had to get a waiver for the gov't bc the Seminole tribe have such a relationship with the school ($) and they went to the fed on the school's behalf

MonStar1 wrote:
D.Wight Mann runs this world.    
LOL @ D. Wight Mann...Haven't seen that written or mentioned in a minute. How offended would people be if a team was called the Blackskins, Yellowskins, or Brownskins & had a silouhette of that race as the symbol...

Plus the term kind of hints at scalping too which white "explorers/settlers" did to clear native americans off of the land they took & got paid for (each scalp).

this is not a case of being too politically correct 
laugh.gif

i mean cmon "********" 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

I remember when St. John's changed from Redman to Red Storm. That had people hot & upset. NYers were ready to jump off the damn Brooklyn Bridge then but it was the right thing to do.

SMH at that Cheif Wahoo symbol. Even the frickin name. That's like having a slave cartoon character as a logo...

Originally Posted by Verdykt

Good question. Im glad they got rid of that ridiculous Chief Iliniwik at illinois. That was a $!#!*%# disgrace.
Was that the college that suggested their mascot's dance was "authentic"? Watched a documentary on it, it was beyond pathetic to even try to play it off as legit.

Gunna, with Miami I don't think it got to that. It was Dr Myrtis Powell (VP of student affairs from 89-02) and the Miami Tribe in OK working together that got it chang'veins Miami had been in talks with the tribe for a while regarding the name. Hopefully the threat of money wasn't the reason. I've always been proud of the change and glad they did it. The Miami ******* logo wasn't anything like the Indians or Washington logo

Nice. I apprciate that sort of change.

Someone actually wanted to do good for good reasons other than money

Edit the movement actually started as early as 72 and ramped up in 91 after Dr Powells visit with the tribe and building of the relationship after that

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

******** logo is disgusting. People like dland are equally disgusting.
Disgusting huh?  Whatever man.  Sorry if I dont get easily offended by things like this.  The NFL is HUGE on the image of the league.  If they had a big problem with it, they would change it.  Clearly, they dont.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by Verdykt

Good question. Im glad they got rid of that ridiculous Chief Iliniwik at illinois. That was a $!#!*%# disgrace.
Was that the college that suggested their mascot's dance was "authentic"? Watched a documentary on it, it was beyond pathetic to even try to play it off as legit.

Yep. Pretty authentic to have a white guy dressed as a native american and whoop and holler like thats really authentic. Im part native, my girlfriend is 100 percent and she dances traditional native american dances and it means a lot to her. That %%$! they depicted as authentic is a slap in the face.

Originally Posted by JPZx

If the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had to change their name because of the word "Fighting", the ******** should have to do so too. The ******** is worse actually.

Yeah it's classic, but it's blatantly offensive and shouldn't be around anymore.

Sioux (snake, enemy) is actually a derogatory term giving to Dakota people by Ojibwe people.I wish Washington would have had the number 1 in the 2010 NFL, when Sam Bradford was the number 1 prospect. Sam Bradford being native would have made things very interesting...

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Oh look...this thread/topic again. Name ain't changing. EVER.

2u7sjkn.jpg
yeah good luck getting over .500 
eyes.gif

30t6p3b.gif
@ not thinking it might be a "little" offensive 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

From Wikipedia:
Some consider the namesake and logo of the Washington ******** insensitive towards Native Americans.[sup][51][/sup] There have been movements by certain groups to change the name,[sup][52][/sup] but the attempts have been unsuccessful. Others[sup][who?][/sup] make the case in defense that the ******** name is intended to honor the bravery and dignity of Native Americans and that, regardless of past usage, the word ******** today refers to the football team. Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those Native Americans surveyed had no objection to the ******** name.[sup][53][/sup] The results of the poll have been criticized by Native American activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.[sup][56][/sup]
This doesn't surprise me. Normally it's a VERY vocal minority (by that I mean small groups of people, not race or ethnic-based) who wants, or even cares enough, to make changes like these in our society. What I don't like is when we, as a society, cave to the pressure of the minority groups.

Overwhelming majority of the Native Americans say it is no big deal, so it is no big deal for me then.

Many Natives in this area (DC) care. I recently talked about this when a few of them came to my job to just "talk." - http://niketalk.com/topic/320928
They spoke about how offensive the name of the Washington Football team is and how a large group of Natives marched to Fed-Ex field like 10 years ago and had a prayer service and proceeded to curse the franchise. He was dead serious and by the looks of things, why shouldn't I believe him. 
laugh.gif
. But he was basically saying that the term is basically like saying the N-Word.

Originally Posted by bangtcg

Overwhelming majority of the Native Americans polled* say it is no big deal, so it is no big deal for me then.
Fixed

Men lie, women lie, people make numbers lie.

dland why exactly would you be offended?

i wrote a paper on this exact topic.  only like a 3 page paper on why it "shouldn't" be offensive.  i stated that sports teams go out there and play their heart out for a win, just like the "native Americans" fought valiantly for their land.  i stated that if a sports team who went out there and put their heart and hard work out there and leave everything on the field while using a name or term that represented me,  i would feel honored.  they fought hard  just like the team representing them would have.  its not as simple as "oh ******* is a racist term."  its more complex than that.  ********, Black hawks etc are used as something for intimidation and honor.  not just a name.  thats my opinion 

It is ridiculous that this hasn't changed yet and I don't even really care that much. There's no way the name can last another 50 years so I hope they are thinking of a new one.

biased, obviously. Dan Snyder actually owns the name Washington Warriors in case it ever does get THAT far that they have to change it.

personally, i can see how it can be offensive, but it would entirely weird if they changed the name, so i hope they dont. People will still refer to them as the Skins anyways.

if they did tho, can you imagine the petitions to get it changed back. bullets > wizards.

Back
Top Bottom